As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] (We Are) The Road Crew

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Awesome, good stuff Tav!

they're even giving me time off in October to go perform standup at a music festival in the states

everything has worked out so amazingly that i'm just waiting for the gotcha in it all

xzzy wrote: »
    Excuse me, the proper term is "turntable."

They aren't "records" they're "LP's".

If you want to be a music snob you gotta use the right words. :rotate:

sorry i just had all these vinyls stacked on my floor and i didn't know what dooooo :bzz:

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    LPs, 45s/singles... use "records" as a catch-all term.

Or, you know, "vinyl", but don't pluralise that.

Actually I find it slightly odd that The Book of Souls is on black vinyl, since (at least) the last four Iron Maiden studio albums, plus at least five live/compilation albums, have been only on picture discs for the vinyl releases. All doubles, except Rock in Rio was a triple disc set, as is The Book of Souls.

I wonder if it's a reaction to vinyl's increasing popularity in order that the record be more durable. 180g black vinyl should withstand more plays than a picture disc, IIRC. It's clearly not a cost-cutting measure. And six images for the six sides are easily obtainable from the existing artwork.

- - - - -

Also I pulled the trigger on Myrkur's M on vinyl. Just went for the standard black (limited silver and picture disc versions also exist). Perversely, it was cheaper to get a Canadian import copy than a UK one... hopefully that'll be here in the next week or two.

Jazz on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    I think "Mummy Dust" is the worst song on Meliora, it's just a little bit too goofy to fit in with the rest of the doom metal meets anthemic hippie prog paeans to Lucifer. Other than that, this is certainly one of the best albums of the year.

• AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that is also my least favorite song on that album, everything else is pretty much gold. I was sorta bummed when I read an interview where they were talking about how they were definitely playing that one live etc. etc. Maybe it comes off better in that setting? Or maybe it won't get the best reaction and they remove it from the setlist. One can only hope!

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    "Mummy Dust" is definitely the "Ghuleh" of the new album.

steam_sig.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I'm quite over the moon with The Book of Souls. It shouldn't be this good.

I think the only real missteps are "Shadows of the Valley" and parts of "Empire of the Clouds," but otherwise, it feels like the culmination of everything the boys have been trying to do since Brave New World.

"Book of Souls" is beautiful. "The Red and the Black" is guitar melody heaven. "Death or Glory" is classic Maiden through and through. Fuck.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I finally saw Mad Max, and good lord I love everything about the Doof Warrior and his truck.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'm quite over the moon with The Book of Souls. It shouldn't be this good.

I think the only real missteps are "Shadows of the Valley" and parts of "Empire of the Clouds," but otherwise, it feels like the culmination of everything the boys have been trying to do since Brave New World.

"Book of Souls" is beautiful. "The Red and the Black" is guitar melody heaven. "Death or Glory" is classic Maiden through and through. Fuck.

I've only had time to listen up through The Red and Black, but I agree with you so far.

If Eternity Should Fail's chorus may never leave my head again.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Yeah, the first part of "Shadows of the Valley" is just too much of an obvious, unnecessary self-plagiarism, they should have just scrapped that one, no idea what they were thinking. I also think "The Red and the Black" could have been cut in half, its better melodies kept in and the song much better. Whereas the 18 minute finale doesn't feel too long at all. Other than those flaws (to me, anyway) I like it a lot.

I finally saw Mad Max, and good lord I love everything about the Doof Warrior and his truck.

My Blu-Ray just arrived in the mail.

autothrall wrote: »

My Blu-Ray just arrived in the mail.

You'll know what I'm referring to pretty much the moment it hits the screen. That's how you apocalypse in style.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Arrived a bit tardy to the gig last night, but managed to catch most of Suffocation's set which was pretty decent. Nile however absolutely smashed it, just insanely tight throughout the entire gig. At the time I thought it could have been a touch louder, but my ringing ears after said otherwise... The thing that most blew me away was the size of the crowd. Pretty much packed back to front, to the point where it was hard to get to the bar at the back due to people standing watching.

Having not been to a death metal gig in a while, I was reminded how much fun it is to have a fuzzy haired metaller head banging in front of me. Oh god it's in my eeeeeeeeyes!

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I haven't been to any sort of extreme metal gig for a few years, was really impressed with the quality of the sound as opposed to sheer volume. Nile were just outrageously good.

I haven't been to any sort of extreme metal gig for a few years, was really impressed with the quality of the sound as opposed to sheer volume. Nile were just outrageously good.

Finishing with gang vocals from Suffocation on Black Seeds of Vengeance was ridiculously epic. Getting metal chills just thinking about it now.

Really digging this track. Nice and dirgy, with a whole bunch of punch when it wants too.

Not head these guys before, but their whole album drops in October; looking forward to it now!

edited September 2015
    Yeah, the first part of "Shadows of the Valley" is just too much of an obvious, unnecessary self-plagiarism, they should have just scrapped that one, no idea what they were thinking. I also think "The Red and the Black" could have been cut in half, its better melodies kept in and the song much better. Whereas the 18 minute finale doesn't feel too long at all. Other than those flaws (to me, anyway) I like it a lot.

Yeah, "The Red and the Black" just seems over-indulgent for the sake of it in the same ways as (forgive me for saying this) "The Angel and the Gambler" and "Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger", although less reliant on endlessly repeated choruses. (All three are Steve Harris solo compositions, it's worth noting.) It could've been half its length and better for it. The intro to "Shadows of the Valley" is surely intended as a knowing nod to the past but just comes across as lazy self-plagiarism, although the song itself is a good one. Not the only time a great song has had an iffy intro - "Dream of Mirrors", anyone? Although, post-intro, that was one of its album's top-notch highlights.

"If Eternity Should Fail" and "Empire of the Clouds" book-end the the album with by far my favourite two tracks. They're just stunning. All of it is very good despite the aforementioned hiccups, but those two are the absolute standouts to me (again worth noting they're Bruce Dickinson solo compositions), with the title track snapping at their heels.

Jazz on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Yeah, "The Red and the Black" just seems over-indulgent for the sake of it in the same ways as (forgive me for saying this) "The Angel and the Gambler" and "Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger", although less reliant on endlessly repeated choruses. (All three are Steve Harris solo compositions, it's worth noting.) It could've been half its length and better for it. The intro to "Shadows of the Valley" is surely intended as a knowing nod to the past but just comes across as lazy self-plagiarism, although the song itself is a good one. Not the only time a great song has had an iffy intro - "Dream of Mirrors", anyone? Although, post-intro, that was one of its album's top-notch highlights.

"If Eternity Should Fail" and "Empire of the Clouds" book-end the the album with by far my favourite two tracks. They're just stunning. All of it is very good despite the aforementioned hiccups, but those two are the absolute standouts to me (again worth noting they're Bruce Dickinson solo compositions), with the title track snapping at their heels.

I don't think Auto will argue with you about the Blaze Bailey tracks, he detests those albums.

I think it just shows where my allegiances lie with members of Maiden, because most of my favs from the album are Adrian Smith numbers :biggrin: Although I was surprised to see Janick Gers co-wrote the title track.

I like spotting the little quirks in each member's songwriting that shows up the music. You and I would get along great, @Jazz

• TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    I'm so miffed that Spotify has these huge chunks of certain band's discography missing. I wanna listen to Motörhead'sInferno but it's not theeerrrreeee :(:(:( I need my Steve Vai + Lemmy fix.

edit: Also I'm not sure if I should grab Book of Souls on vinyl or cd because I'm never gonna listen to either (no turntable and CDs I usually listen to in the car I never drive)
    I'm pretty sure if labels and bands had their way, none of their music would be on Spotify, because it doesn't pay shit. I get the convenience, but given the economics, a huge slew of music will just never be there.

Mostly Broken

try this
    Jazz wrote: »

I don't think Auto will argue with you about the Blaze Bailey tracks, he detests those albums.

I think it just shows where my allegiances lie with members of Maiden, because most of my favs from the album are Adrian Smith numbers :biggrin: Although I was surprised to see Janick Gers co-wrote the title track.

I like spotting the little quirks in each member's songwriting that shows up the music. You and I would get along great, @Jazz

You know, for the most part, I like the two Blaze-era albums. They both have flaws, but there's plenty about both that I like. I think The X Factor is definitely the stronger of the two, for the record (not least because of those goddamn choruses on Virtual XI). Plus, TXF has a slightly special place in my heart as the first time I heard it was at the pre-release unveiling and launch party for the fan club (of which I was then a member), where I got to meet the band too - although it was my second time meeting Nicko! Twenty bloody years ago now, hardly seems possible...

I've always rated Adrian, as a songwriter and a player - he's one of the big reasons Somewhere in Time is still my overall favourite Maiden album, it's sort of his defining showcase - but Janick's proven to be an admirable songwriter as well who's contributed a great deal in his tenure. Steve's brilliant, obviously, but I just think he needs reining in on occasion! Bruce's songs are almost always great but he's utterly excelled himself this time with those two tracks. You're quite right, there are signature aspects of each member's songwriting that do show up, and it's fun to pick them out.

Yes, even as a Blaze fan (from his old Wolfsbane albums and some of his capable solo material). I detest Virtual XI far more than The X-Factor, which was really mediocre for me but not without a couple hooks and decent ideas.

I've still yet to listen to either album, honestly.

As much as I like to drag things back to Maiden whenever possible, I've also been listening to Desultor's Masters of Hate, which I had found through Auto's recommendation in a previous thread (it was probably the last one). It's really good! I like the mix of death metal instrumentation with cleanish vocals. It's very cool. I've also just started listening to Dark Angel's Darkness Descends, which I do enjoy, but I think my appetite for early '80s thrash with a hyper-grungey aesthetic has dwindled in recent years. Been leaning more towards better produced power metal efforts.

Which leads me to Crimson Glory and how much I'm enjoying their s/t and Transcendence. They're like Queensrÿche, but not!

Yes, even as a Blaze fan (from his old Wolfsbane albums and some of his capable solo material). I detest Virtual XI far more than The X-Factor, which was really mediocre for me but not without a couple hooks and decent ideas.

I think ideas are what Virtual XI was most short of. It has its moments but can often feel like "oh God, what else can we think of to put on it? Errr..." which might explain why it's relatively short, only 8 tracks, and has interminably repeating choruses in those two songs in particular. The radio edit of "The Angel and the Gambler" loses about a third of the length of the album version, and it's much, much better for it, not outstaying its welcome.

The repeated choruses issue does rear its head again on Brave New World, understandable as it was only two years later, although there it's more a case of there only being one repeated line for several of the choruses, which is a bit of a blight on an otherwise much, much stronger album.

The X Factor is dark, it's gloomy, and there's a couple of cringe-worthy attempts at vocal flourishes that Blaze attempts that rather ruin "Judgement of Heaven", which might otherwise have been my favourite track on the album. The songs overuse subdued intros, too. But it has a great mood about it that I think Blaze's lower register suits well. The drum sound is utterly bloody monolithic, it's great. And "Sign of the Cross" is one of Steve's greatest epics, I adore that song. Actually I don't think there's a weak track on it, but overall it's not quite up there with the absolute best the band have ever done. I'd probably put it in the top half of their output, though, where VXI would be at or near the bottom despite its occasional strong moments.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I really liked "The Sign of the Cross" off The X-Factor, but little else stands out for me there. Virtual XI is the only Iron Maiden album I don't own in any form. I think I downloaded it when it came out, but I didn't enjoy it at all.

As a side note, I actually met Nicko McBrain once or twice because he lived in the same town as me. He came to the library I was working at to check out some books. He didn't have his library card and, as a matter of policy, I had to ask him for his ID. That's when I learned his first name isn't actually Nicko! I never let on that I actually knew who he was, though. I thought it'd be awkward.

Yeah, it's Michael, IIRC. :wink:

He's a lovely bloke, is Nicko. Genuinely warm, infectiously funny and happy to have a chat if he has time.

My then-wife (now ex) ran into him on a plane once, amazingly, and only recognised him because of me. He signed her boarding pass for me. I love how he always signs stuff with the year it is, too. He knows fans hang onto these things as keepsakes and that gives them a definitive place in history.

Diamond geezer, as the saying goes.

I wish I could meet Adrian or Dave :( Someday....

I wish I could meet Adrian or Dave :( Someday....

Honestly I barely got to say hi to most of them at the FC thing. Adrian and Bruce weren't there, of course. But yeah, I can't really comment on meeting Dave since it was little more than getting a couple of things signed and then swiftly moved on... but I did get to shake Steve's hand, which was awesome.

Yeah, I'd like to pick Dave's and especially Adrian's brains one day. They're relatively quiet, don't do a ton of interviews or anything, that's more left to Steve and the continuously, gloriously motormouthed Bruce.

I don't think I've ever heard anything from either of those albums.

I don't think I've ever heard anything from either of those albums.

Worth noting, there's live versions of "Sign of the Cross" and "The Clansman" on Rock in Rio with Bruce singing, if you don't care for Blaze's voice. Those two songs are definitely highlights of those albums, I think.

Sigh...Zemial was supposed to play this nice little Japanese restaurant in nearby Salem, Massachusetts, where I used to live...but they canceled. And I even had permission to be kid-free and attend :( Can't make it to their Providence, RI gig but if you're local you may want to check that one out.

Thinking of going to see Arkona this weekend in Chicago. I'd never even heard of them before my wife told me about it, but we have friends in that city who want to go to the show and said we could stay at their place for the night. Hmm.

Listening to some of their stuff right now and it seems pretty good.

edited September 2015
    The more popular, Russian Arkona right? Yeah they're pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaP1wDvkA6E

I also like a few albums by the grimmer Polish black metal band with the same name. Can't imagine they are touring here though, too obscure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXQ26D_XbIM

autothrall on
    It's definitely the Russian one. They're coming to Victoria, which has a few of my metalhead friends losing their minds

Yup, the Russian one. I was originally planning on skipping it, but listening to that album made me more interested.

Destroy Judas just put out a new release. A single 38-minute song. The vocals don't even kick in until about 18 minutes in.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I just looked up the Zemial tour... They're playing Kentucky, but they're not coming to LA? :(

steam_sig.png
    Hey @LoveIsUnity and other California/West Coast peeps: not sure if this is too far out of the way, but one of the professors I helped organize UVic's Tribe & Rite Heavy Metal conference with is organizing her own conference/festival in the SF/Bay Area: the Legion of Steel Metalfest & Conference.

Not familiar with many of the bands, but the talks lined up sound fucking awesome if you're into that sort of thing. I wish I could make it myself, but it's not in the cards unfortunately.

That website is like a time machine.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I like Arkona bunches, I love folk metal and a Croatian friend exposed me to them a couple years ago. I'm going to see them in KC at the end of the month, the day after I see Epica and Eluveitie in Omaha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYfFnpw4BsU

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    hey baby

what do you think about a little
    tumblr_nufq6v75n51qjfq3co1_540.jpg

desc on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    The new Fear Factory album is surprisingly good. It's no Demanufacture or Obsolete, and the lyrics are still gibberish to anyone with a passing understanding of engineering, but the songs are tight and there are no U2 covers.

This discussion has been closed.