As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

PeenPeen Registered User regular
Hey! Are you happy with your body? Probably not, thanks to popular culture's messaging and stereotypes! But wait! There are things you can do to remake yourself that will potentially make you happier and potentially contribute to your longevity and good health. Let's talk about them!

Maybe you run? Would you like to? Try reading this or maybe this!

CCM7qIPl.jpg

Maybe you climb? Would you like to? There's a bunch of articles here!

lqYQRKsl.jpg

Maybe you strength train? There's a whole other thread for that, but if the people in there are being geese then talk about that here too!

EHtgaXVl.jpg

Or do some other kind of exercise like yoga or skipping or salsa dancing? I don't know jack about those but you might!

And maybe you think exercise is for the birds and just want to work on eating right? We can talk about that too!

Everyone should have the body that they want and we should help each other achieve our goals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I've been struggling lately to find the motivation to exercise even though I know it will be good for me.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fitness?

More like fitness cake in my mouth, amirite?!?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bztxd7BJSco

I'm out of shape enough that running for any distance causes my knees to hurt for days afterwards, so I've decided on biking as a low-impact way to get more exercise - there's biking thread if anyone else is interested in talking about bicycles and the use thereof: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/200040/bicycle-thread-is-coming-your-way/p1

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I've been struggling lately to find the motivation to exercise even though I know it will be good for me.

Ugh yeah. every time I get sick or do a lot of traveling my exercise regime suffers, then it takes weeks to build back up to where I should be. I spend more time trying to work back towards 'normal' running distances than I do at 'normal' distances. Which probably makes them abnormal.

My latest excuse is that it's really fucking cold here in the mornings. Which is dumb because running warms me up.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I have resolved to begin exercising once it cools down, because right now it's over 100 degrees when I get home and everything is awful. Morning isn't much better.

I also need to get back to eating wholesome meals and not whatever I improvise on Iron Chef Living Alone.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I started Lucha Libre training in February 2014 and I've definitely made improvements since then. 3 times per week for 2 hours each session. Cardio is way better than it has been in a long time and I've had to buy some smaller pants.

Also, other people have given me positive feedback on body appearance changes, so that feels nice.

It definitely has been taking a toll on my knees, though.

But man, it's so much fun. I just wish I had time to get some actual weight training in too.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    My excuse was that it was too hot me in the mornings and now its cool and urgh I'm just being lazy, I know I'll feel good when I get back into it. It takes me ages to get used to running the same distance/time as before too.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'm about to throttle up my running from 3 days a week to daily to try and drop 30-40 pounds over the next 9 months. Difficulty: it's florida and I work an 8-6 job.

5am jogging is the place for meee

• Options
    For me there's also the knowledge that getting back into things is going to literally hurt and of course I am adverse to causing myself pain. Still has to be done but damn if I won't try to invent a whole lot of excuses to avoid it.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Okay. Here is your motivational story of the afternoon:

At the beginning of the summer, I was over 260. I was also diagnosed with severe acid reflux/pre-Barrett's Esophagus ("We don't think you'll need surgery..."), severe arthritis in both hips, and I was on medication for high blood pressure.

After sulking for a bit, I recognized that all three of my medical conditions were, in some way, related to my weight, so I set to change how I ate. I got a food diary app for my phone and, more importantly, I started using it. I also started a strict three workout per week schedule. (Between my job and family that was all I could reliably schedule without shirking something important.)

So, the week before PAX, I had my checkup with my gastroenterologist. I've lost 25 lbs so far, and my blood pressure was 113/68, meaning that my bp medicine may very well get dialed back soon. I also went from not being able to walk more than a mile or so before my hips hurt too much to being able to stand in line and walk all over the con all four days with little problem (and the Grand Hyatt soaking tub and a lot of stretching, but still).

The next weight goal is to get down to 220 and re-evaluate, since I'm a fairly large-framed guy, but I've successfully (so far) been able to make the shift from viewing food as entertainment to viewing it as fuel in the day-to-day routine.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that it can be done.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    One thing that struck me doing this was just how many calories so much crap food has. For example, I will likely never eat at McDonald's again, because if I'm going to blow my caloric budget on a burger it's going to be at least as good as Five Guys.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    So, the last post I made in the fitness thread I'd just completed week 5 of the Couch to 5k program and run for 20 minutes non-stop. That was in...late June?

Then my depression came on and hit me HARD, and I did nothing in July and most of August. It finally got so bad it was hurting my life and my relationship with my wife, and I reset and restarted a few weeks ago. It all goes as planned I'll run the 20 minutes I was so proud of again on Saturday night.

Unfortunately it has had fuck all effect on my depression :( but I drag my ass out and run anyway.

• Options
    Hey Jihad I'm in a similar boat, I was low for a while and did bugger all too, I'll be starting back with you!

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to cut out carbs out of my main meals and substituting veggies in instead. I definitely don't eat enough veggies.

I've also been trying to eat fruit for dessert, instead of, you know, cake, and cookies, and rich ass ice cream full of caramel and fudge and whatnot.

Key word trying.

I've also started taking Krav Maga classes again.

Here's to hoping I lose some weight at some point during this year!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about getting motivated

So far, I've just cut back on taco bell

=P

• Options
    I have, for the most part, cut out soda from my diet in the sense that I no longer buy it from the store so it can sit around and tempt me. Not even the diet soda because surprise surprise artificial sweeteners were probably the culprit in making me incredibly tired every day. Only time I do get soda is when it comes with a meal. Rest of the time it's ice water.

Next up on the list is sugar. Working on that right now, with cookies and candy barred for the most part from my house. Lunch was a big offender, until recently, and now my main "sweet" thing is a cup of gelatin with real fruit inside and 1g of sugar. Delicious and nutritious.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting motivated

So far, I've just cut back on taco bell

=P

That, my friend, is a start.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Since I still can't get a job a couple months ago I started walking every day except for the couple of days a week I ride my bike instead, just to get out of the house. I'm usually out for 40 minutes or so each time, just on the trail along the river near me.

My weight isn't really a thing i've ever kept track of, but last week I checked and I had gone under 190 for the first time in years.

Doesn't really mean anything, but it was kind of nice.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I have, for the most part, cut out soda from my diet in the sense that I no longer buy it from the store so it can sit around and tempt me. Not even the diet soda because surprise surprise artificial sweeteners were probably the culprit in making me incredibly tired every day. Only time I do get soda is when it comes with a meal. Rest of the time it's ice water.

Next up on the list is sugar. Working on that right now, with cookies and candy barred for the most part from my house. Lunch was a big offender, until recently, and now my main "sweet" thing is a cup of gelatin with real fruit inside and 1g of sugar. Delicious and nutritious.

My secret weapon: iced green tea. There's a convenience store chain here that has brewed green tea, so each morning I take in my 52 oz jug, fill it halfway with ice, top it off with unsweetened green tea, and for $1.17 I have caffeine and antioxidants and no need for soda all day.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Speaking of tea, peppermint tea is also nice if you want something sweet.

• Options
    I want to avoid the sweet stuff as much as possible actually. They can not have any sugar in them and yet will still trigger the body's natural response to sugar from what I'm reading lately. Which went a long way to convince me to drop the diet soda too. The caffeine's a non-issue, because it has Bizarro World effects on me. Instead of hyping up I get calmed down, even sleepy if I had too much.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I'm trying to research 15 minute workouts for when I literally only have 15 minutes of unbudgeted time during the day. I set 90% max heart rate and let the interval program on the treadmill do the work, or I do cable rows as fast as I can at a 2:1 ratio, or burpees if I feel like vomiting today. We'll see.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Climbing my way on board this fitness thread.

Last night I crushed about 45 min of repping the speed wall with some good recovery between each rep for a nice high intensity session. Hit a new PR, 4.26 for the 10m wall as well as a handful of runs that were under my former PR. Then hit the weights to finish ( 3-4x10-12 of seated rows, pulldowns to chest, bent over rows, reverse flies, and bicep curls)

The transition from sprinting to speed climbing is going rather well.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Suggest we call this thread Jimmy's Jogging thread.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Is your speed wall an official ifsc wall jyradana?

Blake T on
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    I've been trying recently to get from 224 back to 180.

I'm using Weight Watchers for food recording and an attempt to walk for an hour at a 3% incline on a treadmill 3-4 days a week. which is about all I can muster to do motivation wise.

So far I've gotten down to 218 in four weeks, which isn't much, but it is progress. I have a hard time keep on keeping on, but I want to believe this is the time I'll actually do it.

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Suggest we call this thread Jimmy's Jogging thread.

boo

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Ugh, I've gained weight over the past year. I'm back up to 200 consistently from around 190. Which, okay, that's recoverable, but I also haven't been jogging as much even though I haven't been working. Current excuse is that it's too damn hot, which it is, but it still feels like an excuse.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

I'm using Weight Watchers for food recording and an attempt to walk for an hour at a 3% incline on a treadmill 3-4 days a week. which is about all I can muster to do motivation wise.

So far I've gotten down to 218 in four weeks, which isn't much, but it is progress. I have a hard time keep on keeping on, but I want to believe this is the time I'll actually do it.
    This is something I struggle with. That's 1.5lb/week, which is about perfect. My problem is my only scale was not accurate enough to tell if I was losing a pound a week, or...nothing. Going weeks of lying to realize it's not working is not fun.

So I just tossed the scale and tried to keep getting more fit anyway.

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    I've put on about 10lbs I think over summer. My excuse is that when I become a student I'll be too poor to eat much. I'll miss chocolate. And cake. And takeaways.

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »

This is something I struggle with. That's 1.5lb/week, which is about perfect. My problem is my only scale was not accurate enough to tell if I was losing a pound a week, or...nothing. Going weeks of lying to realize it's not working is not fun.

So I just tossed the scale and tried to keep getting more fit anyway.

Yeah, if you can maintain 1.5 lb/week, keep on keepin' on. Don't get hung up on the day to day numbers though. Keep doing the good thing gs and results will come.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I lost 15lbs in three months. Five lbs to my initial goal of 165, which was my lowest weight.

Trying on jeans that I had put away last year because they no longer fit and having then fit again was an amazing feeling.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I really need to get back into running regularly. I hurt my back last year and stopped for a few months. Since then each attempt to get going again has dropped off after a few sessions due to various circumstances.

I do strength/maintenance training every weekday, which has been staving off the weight creep somewhat, but I really need to force that cardio back into my routine.

• Options
    Is your speed wall an official ifsc wall jyradana?

God I wish. No, this is only a 10m wall with random holds and difficulty. I train on it using mostly dynos to work power and rhythm. I mark out a more challenging route and then go at it. I'm still looking for an ifsc wall in the midwest for me to travel to to get some reps on for training.

Training vid below. As you can see there are chunky holds in the way that make it interesting to train on for speed, but its the only wall with a timer. I use other walls that have similar parts to the ifsc run to work some specific abilities, but in general I am going about my training in a skill specific before route specific manner, obviously. Hoping my years as a collegiate sprinter help with power. Apologies for the low angle on the video. It's supposed to be done in 6 moves but I slipped pretty bad on the last move here. This was one of the slower runs because of that but it was the only one I recorded

• Options
    Try asking the gym managers about it, most gyms buy in new holds (semi) regularly so they might be happy with buying a set, it'd be a point of differentiation at least between them and other gyms.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    WuShock wrote: »
    Okay. Here is your motivational story of the afternoon:

At the beginning of the summer, I was over 260. I was also diagnosed with severe acid reflux/pre-Barrett's Esophagus ("We don't think you'll need surgery..."), severe arthritis in both hips, and I was on medication for high blood pressure.

After sulking for a bit, I recognized that all three of my medical conditions were, in some way, related to my weight, so I set to change how I ate. I got a food diary app for my phone and, more importantly, I started using it. I also started a strict three workout per week schedule. (Between my job and family that was all I could reliably schedule without shirking something important.)

So, the week before PAX, I had my checkup with my gastroenterologist. I've lost 25 lbs so far, and my blood pressure was 113/68, meaning that my bp medicine may very well get dialed back soon. I also went from not being able to walk more than a mile or so before my hips hurt too much to being able to stand in line and walk all over the con all four days with little problem (and the Grand Hyatt soaking tub and a lot of stretching, but still).

The next weight goal is to get down to 220 and re-evaluate, since I'm a fairly large-framed guy, but I've successfully (so far) been able to make the shift from viewing food as entertainment to viewing it as fuel in the day-to-day routine.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that it can be done.

Can I ask what app do you use?

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Oh man! I was starting to exercise fairly regularly, and then I moved to east LA! It's a thousand fucking degrees here! I'm typing this post at midnight and it's currently 80 degrees outside! 90 in my room!!!

I can't really sweat, so I've always tried to exercise in the cold. This sucks.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Started climbing with some buddies! I have no prior experience so I'm pretty aware of how sloppy I must be, but they've been climbing a while and are pretty enthused about pushing ahead. Been going for around 6/7 weeks now, comfortable around 4+/5A (British technical grading). Another friend just joined and he's raring to tackle 6As, sigh. Lemme take it slow!

Place is very cool, lots of different routes with a range of difficulties, heights and overhangs that get changed regularly. Afterwards we grab a pint and a big pub dinner so not sure how good it is for weight loss, but yeah :P Need to sort out my diet and get more active, too many free snacks at work.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Try asking the gym managers about it, most gyms buy in new holds (semi) regularly so they might be happy with buying a set, it'd be a point of differentiation at least between them and other gyms.

I know they have the holds for it. I've been told it's been set up on occasion. I've only been climbing since May and have just started to get to know the route setters though. I need to wait until I run into the one I know the best to see if he can set up the first 3/4s of the route (we don't have a 15m wall, thus my looking for a true place to train)

• Options
    Going to the pub after climbing is a very important part of the history of climbing.

This discussion has been closed.