As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]: Spoony Bard vs. Meteor Sage edition

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Do we know from Japan where Golbez caps out on Attack?

Because from ability availability and his base SB, he seems really good.

A good 20 points lower than most physical attackers like Cecil and Tidus, but has better defense than most caster types, and certainly a better range of gear selection. If you get his relic, he's worth using, for sure, but otherwise, he's kind of in that weird jack of all trades, master of none like Gordon, with a better skill selection. But he'll never be king in any role. Cecil's a better tank, Vivi (and most casters) are better at that, Cloud and Sephiroth are better physical attackers, and there are loads more better support characters.

http://chrysaliswiki.com/people:golbez

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Is having highly honed, lower level spells really worth it? Or is it better to have harder hitting spells with fewer uses on your party?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015

A good 20 points lower than most physical attackers like Cecil and Tidus, but has better defense than most caster types, and certainly a better range of gear selection. If you get his relic, he's worth using, for sure, but otherwise, he's kind of in that weird jack of all trades, master of none like Gordon, with a better skill selection. But he'll never be king in any role. Cecil's a better tank, Vivi (and most casters) are better at that, Cloud and Sephiroth are better physical attackers, and there are loads more better support characters.

Hm. Ok. Well, still, in those occasions you need an all mage party, seems like he'd excel due to his his higher def/res and equipment choices, and being able to take on some wanted non-mage abilities while still having 5* black magic.

But either way for my FFIV party he's more versatile than D.Cecil. D.Cecil probably is better than Kain overall, but there's one stage you want jump for in the event. :P

I don't know what the + and ++ will be but if it's a elemental boss rush, I imagine there'll be a Jump requirement there too. EDIT: Yup the 4 element rush needs Jump. Kain isn't the only jumper, sure, but synergy so why not?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Is having highly honed, lower level spells really worth it? Or is it better to have harder hitting spells with fewer uses on your party?

Right now? focus on getting -ga spells and honed Breaks. -ra spells and such are probably not worth it at this moment.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Whelp, did my Golbez banner pull. Bit of a mixed bag.

Vendored (I already have 3++ versions or better of this stuff:
    Mythril Mail
    Luminous Robe
    Silver Armlet

Not sure:
    Flametongue (I have a bunch of VI swords, but this one has a semi-unique effect)

Combined:
    Avenger
    Glacial Staff
    Silver Bangle
    Golden Helm

New Stuff:
    Crystal Helm (kind of invalidates getting a second Golden Helm)
    Dragon Gloves x2!

I've never had multiple of a 5* before. Not sure if I should combine these or keep them separate. Bangles are pretty good.

Didn't get any mage weapons (or weapons in general, really), so nothing to do with all this Scarletite.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Right now? focus on getting -ga spells and honed Breaks. -ra spells and such are probably not worth it at this moment.

Well, you kinda want both. Right now 3* orbs are really easy to get, so getting R4 on all the -aga spells is also pretty easy. You want this because they'll still do great damage on bosses if they hit a weakness, and because you'll have a high use spell your mage can whip around on trash and OHKO them.

Eventually you want to do the same thing with the -aja spells, but greater orbs are a lot harder to come by. Right now Waterja is probably the best one to first hone because it takes a lot fewer orbs to hone. And again, you have a rock solid hard hitting spell at your disposal, that will easily do 8-9k on a broken enemy.

Also, one thing the game never tells you anywhere is that the higher max number of uses an ability has, the more you get back with an ether. It's something like 1-5 gives back 1 use, 6-9 gives 2, and 10+ gives 3. So you can really go nuts with using them, and if an ether drops, boom you just got 3 more.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular

He has the best all around defensive stats for a mage released so far (def in the mainline physical attacker range, res near the top), and that seems like it could go a long way depending on the situation.

His magic stat is second tier, but still better than Quistis, and he can equip rods unlike Gordon.

edited September 2015
    Whelp, did my Golbez banner pull. Bit of a mixed bag.

Vendored (I already have 3++ versions or better of this stuff:
    Mythril Mail
    Luminous Robe
    Silver Armlet

Not sure:
    Flametongue (I have a bunch of VI swords, but this one has a semi-unique effect)

Combined:
    Avenger
    Glacial Staff
    Silver Bangle
    Golden Helm

New Stuff:
    Crystal Helm (kind of invalidates getting a second Golden Helm)
    Dragon Gloves x2!

I've never had multiple of a 5* before. Not sure if I should combine these or keep them separate. Bangles are pretty good.

Didn't get any mage weapons (or weapons in general, really), so nothing to do with all this Scarletite.

I'd keep them separate. I combined my Vega42s because only one person can really make use of the SB in the first place, and if Sazh isn't on my party, there's only two other gun users who both fulfill the same role requirement, so they'd just swipe the weapon off him if I needed to have character synergy for a realm.

But the return on investment in combining 5*s is really poor compared to leaving them separate, only because you're getting 5 extra levels out of it instead of pumping up stats on 20 levels of gear. I also can't see there being that many more FFIV events or stages (other than the final moon dungeons and if they wanted to, include the optional battle from the DS version). Small possibility of FFTAY stuff. Long story short, you shouldn't need the extra % of synergy from a combined relic that having two casters (which will be useful for the ++ bosses) will be that much better for.

El Fantastico on

• CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    I'd keep anything besides odd weapons like guns or thrown items separate also. I have only gotten a 5 star duplicate of Hawkeye so I have a 7 star version of that. Even if I were to get something extra (like say another Blazefire Sabre) I'd probably keep it separate since swords are universally good.

For a bracer that your mages are going to want I'd definitely keep it separate. Two mages with 5 star bracers is probably going to better than 1 with a 6 star.

I think I managed to talk myself out of pulling another 50 on the Golbez banner. As much as I WANT him on my team (and having his relic is pretty much the only reason for him to be there), there are other characters and banners coming up that I'd rather save up for.

That FFXIV event being top of the list at the moment.

I blew the rest of my mythril and was seriously considering using gems to pull on the current Soulbreak banner, but after 200 mythril and my 100 GEM pull I guess I'll just deal without Vivi's weapon. Got nothing from Golbez on my 100 GEM either.

Maybe the next Soulbreak banner will be nice and give me Garnet's weapon since she's my chosen white mage currently.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    I got mastery but god was that awful.

I never want to see seifer again.

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I'm running Paladin Cecil with a Genji Shield, Gauntlets, and the Self-Regen RM. Interested to see how well this works in a boss fight.

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I got mastery but god was that awful.

I never want to see seifer again.

After seeing the requirements for meteor, I went back and was able to master the fight. I 100% agree with your final statement.

I am literally those Major Non-Elemental Orbs (well, 2) away from making Meteor. Honestly? If it means I have to wait another month or so before I can craft it, I think I'll live without trying to master bullshit boss events like that one. Eventually, getting Major orbs will be much less of a pain in the ass, and that's when these 5* skills will actually have some use.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I have a new thread ready to go when this one hits 100. If anyone wants to make it, I'll tap out, otherwise I'll post the new thread when this one hits 100 and a mod ( @a steak! ?) locks this one.

Made a run at the Rinoa ++ just to see if I could do it and nope.

I got a bunch of Sleeping Gases, I just simply don't have enough magic damage to deal with them. Nor enough orbs to hone spells to get capable.

It'll just be unfinished.

Which is ok because that was some bullshit. Yeah lets get 3 attacks on me probably killing two of my characters before my ATB bars even move a smidge.

Totally reasonable! :lol:

Oh well, Golbezs event is great. I like that "Elite" is part 2, and not just rehashes of the normal stages. Makes it more interesting. And I guess armor mats SB event is in half hour, but I don't need any of those really.

Gave Seifer and crew one last try before the event disappeared and squeezed out a mastery win.

To celebrate I used gems to do a 3 pull on the SB banner and came away with Vivis staff that I was craving. Woooooooo!

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Woof. 100 gems and 100 mythril later on the new banner and I have four 4* and 18 3*s. Yay.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Utima Weapon?

Well, there goes the theme of the ++ bosses being summoners.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If it makes you feel any better, the last boss for the last bit is that giant tank from VIII that spits out 4 soldiers after you beat it. Technically that's a summoner? So technically 4/5 ain't bad?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    2 battles away from Golbez's Memory Crystal.

Im not sure this will even be possible at lvl 41ish.

edited September 2015
    Is Kraken vulnerable to break like he is in story modes?

EDIT: Maybe I'm thinking of Tiamat.

The Dude With Herpes on

Oh, so apparently Hard Phase 4++ Kraken can drop 3* summon orbs, and ++ Ultima Weapon can drop 4* summon orbs.

Ultima can be paralyzed...just sayin. :lol:

Definitely Tiamat.

Man, just fought Ultima Weapon, and couldn't get Slowga or Intimidate to stick the entire fight. I was concerned I was going to miss Mastery, either because no one was hitting my Retaliator the whole fight, since they were busy having all their status effects miss, or because he was going to Flare Star and wreck my team.

Vivi doing 9999 x12 got me there for actions taken, and sent grimoire saved my damage medals, but after Ult. Weapon got to attack first before breaks were up (of course), I was worried right off the bat, since he crit Vivi to 1%.

Man, I might have snapped my tablet in half if the medals screen came up expert. Fuck randomness. You take the right strategy, the game shouldn't decide to pound you in the ass just because.

And here I was thinking that it had low Mind or something since Intimidate only missed once out of four casts for me and lasted a solid three turns each time. While the 4* summon orbs are tempting, I think I'd rather focus on Golbez so I can get back to clearing elite dungeons. I started working backwards from XIII this time and have VIII through XIII fully cleared.

Fuck Joe Manchin
    edited September 2015
    Mnd affects duration of status effects, but accuracy is set by the ability. Intimidate is fifty percent.

Heading to bed. Will post new thread in AM.

silence1186 on
    Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the RW list the next few days, was able to follow two people in a row who must've gotten new sentinel grimoires from the banner.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Well, after whole fucking ton of pulls my best Rod and Staff are both the Light version. The game is keeping me in the ghetto on mages! I did get a Mursame though, so if I ever get Sephiroth's memory crystal I'm good to go.

A steak! wrote: »
    Well, after whole fucking ton of pulls my best Rod and Staff are both the Light version. The game is keeping me in the ghetto on mages! I did get a Mursame though, so if I ever get Sephiroth's memory crystal I'm good to go.

I also got a Murasame and also don't have sephs crystal....

however, Ultima Weapon was a pushover.

err atma weapon i mean

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Atma weapons are an FFXIV thing these days.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Did two pulls on the Stage 4 banner. First pull got me zero five-stars, but I got another four-star for a couple weapons my main group is already using (Hayate Bow for Fran and some glove or other for Tifa / Snow). So that's a nice little upgrade.

Second pull got me two Sentinel Grimoires. The stats on these things at level one are amazing. Once I get these combined and maxed, I'll probably find room for Tyro in my party again, at least for a little while.

I recall someone said something about benefits you can get from maxing out your crystal-tier (no FF synergy, bad-stats) characters? I've avoided using all of them. That will probably continue at least until I have a maxed core party, but should I start leveling them next?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Several of the Core/Job characters have amazing Record Materia, some of which are necessary for harder content. Specifically, invest in White Mage, Black Mage, Summoner, and Bard.

White Mage restores 1 of each white mage ability for that character with their RM2 equiped. Summoner and Black Mage do the same thing for Summoning and Black Magic abilities respectively.

Other than that Bard gives Zealot which makes a character attack all things on the board for slightly less damage and Ranger gives Barrage which I think is 3 hits for less damage per hit (more overall damage) using attack. Those are the main 5 Core Characters I believe.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I really wanted lightning's sword. I spent 150 mythril on the banner when she first came up, and another 50 this time.

I now have a 7 star Hunters Rod. :/

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Are there any heal-all abilities in the game, other than maybe a soul break or something? My main difficulty in fights so far have been from enemies that hit my entire party.

Cirira wrote: »
    White Mage restores 1 of each white mage ability for that character with their RM2 equiped. Summoner and Black Mage do the same thing for Summoning and Black Magic abilities respectively.

Other than that Bard gives Zealot which makes a character attack all things on the board for slightly less damage and Ranger gives Barrage which I think is 3 hits for less damage per hit (more overall damage) using attack. Those are the main 5 Core Characters I believe.

I want to say Barrage is 4 at .7 mod, but it only has a 1 in 6 chance of proccing.

Are there any heal-all abilities in the game, other than maybe a soul break or something? My main difficulty in fights so far have been from enemies that hit my entire party.

You can basically just summon Kirin and give everyone Regen. You have to prevent the AoE before it happens, with Power and/or Magic Break + Protectga and/or Shellga. You can supplement this with a RW with Sentinel's Grimoire. The only AoE heals are Soul Breaks/Roaming Warriors.

edited September 2015
    Mitigation is way better than healing, especially considering the medal system. Is Tyro's ability better than Cecil's?

Edit - oh crap, it's 10 times better.

A duck! on
This discussion has been closed.