As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My pen and paper art(prev.NSFW demon designs)

JCMJCM Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
Some demon designs for a comic Im setting up as soon as my cheapo Wacom clone arrives...

My anatomy is rather shaky (I add an extra muscle here and there every other drawing) but I'll be posting a new one daily, (if my schedule allows it, 2-3)

Feel free to point out my flaws, Im sure there are many.

1) ASMODAI, demon of "luxuria" aka "lust" (unfinished sketch)

demon1pz5.jpg

2) BEELZEBU, demon of "gula" aka "greed"

demon2dp0.jpg

JCM on

• Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Beelzebu puts off the vibe of being gluttony...just wanted to throw that out there. The concept is nice though.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Its not just a vibe of gluttony that he's putting off. Beelzebub is often associated with gluttony. Its Mammon that's associated with avarice.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    JCM wrote:

demon1pz5.jpg

I can do that

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Staleghoti wrote:
    JCM wrote:
    I can do that

Do what? Draw pictures of naked guys? It's prolly all that practice you got as a kid.

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Avarice or Greed is often potrayed as been less of a sort of glutton (because that's a seperate sin), and more of a hoarder of everything, power, money, material possessions.

That lust guy's pretty nifty too. He'd make some good hentai.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    drakkoniadrakkonia Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I like the one of Asmodai, especially his legs. All three of them. I think his nips are a bit high and off to the sides, though. That's my one real crit for now.

drakkonia on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Ah, just noticed.

Ast's thighs look a little swollen there - I'm not sure that muscular men have thighs that tremendously bulbous. Maybe they do. I don't look at a lot of naked muscular men regularly...:sweatdrop:

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think it's funny that Beezlebu's penis is as fat as the rest of him.

paulwind on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Having a donger that long would be pretty cool for a while, but would be pretty annoying after the novelty wears off, wouldn't you say?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Very true... I slimmed down a bit the legs and finished the Asmodai one

d2001smallya6.jpg

And here's

3) SATAN, fallen angel of furia, aka anger/wrath

d2002smalltq8.jpg

JCM on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Satan looks awfully short and stubby. Not even really Demon-like either, just like a version of Pan with a growth disorder.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    He's supposed to be an angel who's lost his wings... (Lucifer will have yes) not really a demon

good point though.. I cant get goat's legs to look good on a muscular body :(

I'll try and make a less stubby version for comparision when I get off work..

EDIT:Typos... argh!

JCM on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If you want a classical demon then you need the horns to be more bull-like. Go for fat and tapering to a sharp point..

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Also if he's supposed to be the symbol of wrath and anger etc. I think his face and expression is off. It should be more evil. He looks like a good hero to me, as it is now (besides from the horns, ofc). give him some fangs, and devilish facial hair, like Kenneth Brannah in Wild wild West! Booyah!

www27.jpeg

And for the first one with the giant slong - I like the way you gave him the anaconda of the century and yet made him look so faggy :D

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I didn't have time to give a proper crit in my last post, but I'm going to go ahead and let 'er rip now.

First up, the Wang Demon...

As a personal notation, I get a real William Blake vibe coming from the pose and the facial expression, so kudos to you. In terms of anatomy there are still some issues. Firstly, even though its been previously stated, his nipples are veeery far apart. His muscles are pretty bulbous in some areas and not really accurate. The face lacks basic structure and therefor appears very flat. And although I appreciate his demon dong, ala Pazuzu, its looking very flat and two dimensional. If anything, his sulfuric shaft should be able to break the fourth wall at will. The wings come across as being very thick and heavy and without any realistic structure to them. I highly recommend looking at how wings actually look and work. Start with bat or bird bones to get the basic structure and then see about how the thin membrain-like skin of a bat wing really looks. But overall, its a little on the uninspired side. There really isn't anything unique about this guy.

Tubby Beelzebubby

As mentioned before, this whole image is incredibly flat looking. Flat, not fat. The wings are very unconvincing. The extra mouths seem tacked on and don't follow the form of what should be a very rotund Beelzebelly. Nipples don't look like upside down pawns. The rolls of fat are random. Go scope out some fat people to see how all that excess fat wraps around the human figure. Take a few friends with you while you're at it. They might learn something too. His legs are missing critical bones and muscles. They look more like random folds and creases, and are once again, very flat. Once again, this flabby demon suffers from a paper thin penis.

And lastly, heeeeeeeres SATAN!! (Sorry, I had too)

This one needs the most work of the three. His face reminds me of Ultimate Thor, and I just can't picture Satan as being a tree hugging, bleach blond, freedom fighter. The hair is very, very flat and doesn't look like actual hair does. The horns are...awkwardly placed and look like they were tacked on as an after thought. The muscles are once again bulbousy and bubble-like. You can almost draw a clean line across the page where the human half meets the goat half. The top and the bottom are in different perspectives, and as previously stated the legs are very squat and stumpish. Do try for something a little leaner. Satan, much like your first demon, is pretty uninspired. You have to understand that demons, devils, monsters, creatures, etc have been done to death and then some. The only way a person can actually make these things interesting is to bring something new to the table. Otherwise its just the same old stuff being regurgitated for the umpteenth time.

Sorry if any of that came off as being harsh, but I'm in a bad mood and quite frankly I felt that all that needed to be said. Demons and otherworldly creatures are also kinda my thing, so I can tend to be a little over zealous.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    Megamau_XMegamau_X Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i remember when i posted demon wang....

its good to know its legacy is being carried on.

Megamau_X on
    banditsig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    I didn't have time to give a proper crit in my last post, but I'm going to go ahead and let 'er rip now.

5 forums and this is the first real criticism I got! About time man, its been like 5 years since Ive drawn seriously (no, the sketches in my blog dont count, theyre just sketches influenced by brazilian wine during RPG session).
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    First up, the Wang Demon...

Thanks man, guess Im trying too much to have him look ike his human form, I'll see what I can whip up tomorrow, as its a holiday here.

I'll post it here as soon as I get him done.
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    Tubby Beelzebubby

You shoud put a NSFW warning in your advice. :shock:
    Went to the pool after work, to sketch some fat guys.... god, my old fattie drawing does little justice to the horrors I saw today. Anyway, I whipped this newer version up (just ignore the rather poor pig's legs)-
    x1smallgf0.jpg

Here's a little revised version, I was thinking of having him move around in a throne of flies, but will add that tomorrow.

Ah, and on the Greed name, its a direct translation of the portuguese gula... Avarice (avarita) here is more a excessive love of power.

Buckwolfe wrote:
    And lastly, heeeeeeeres SATAN!! (Sorry, I had too)
    EntrY wrote:
    Also if he's supposed to be the symbol of wrath and anger etc. I think his face and expression is off. It should be more evil. He looks like a good hero to me, as it is now (besides from the horns, ofc). give him some fangs, and devilish facial hair, like Kenneth Brannah in Wild wild West! Booyah!

Ouch, this one I shouldve put a bit of filler story. He's Eblis, fallen angel, not exactly a demon... Ill get rid of the small horns... and make a newer less midget-like version.
    And damn, Ive gotta think up of a different beard, now that youve mentioned Thor, all I can imagine is him in a suit criticising Bush.

Anyway, he's supposed to be an angel, with the bottom half of a goat. Back to researching goats I guess.
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    You have to understand that demons, devils, monsters, creatures, etc have been done to death and then some. The only way a person can actually make these things interesting is to bring something new to the table. Otherwise its just the same old stuff being regurgitated for the umpteenth time.

True, their original concepts date back to 2000, even though I dont want to run from Muslim/Christian mythology, I'll try to make them less ike their human counterparts... maybe beer will help.
    Sorry if any of that came off as being harsh, but I'm in a bad mood and quite frankly I felt that all that needed to be said. Demons and otherworldly creatures are also kinda my thing, so I can tend to be a little over zealous.

No problem man. Thanks for the little homework.

JCM on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Well you're showing good initiative by actually going out and studying chubbanomics. Good call with the swimming pool. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have hit on that idea. That being said...

There are still some glaring problems with this new version. Not only do his arms appear to have extra joints, but they also look broken. I'm still not getting the feeling of real fat. Its still looking rather flat and random, as far as fatty folds go, especially around the belly. He's also lacking any kind of hips, and ironically, an ass. I'm confused as to how something can be so obese, and yet have no ass at all. As far as the mouths go, I'm going to suggest that you not even worry about drawing them yet. Just focus on pure gurth of this creature. When you have a good feel and can convincingly draw such a rotund body, then you can move onto the mouths. But I'm going to tell you right now that slapping mouths on after taking all the time to render fat convincingly is not an option. Look at how a mouth really looks. Mouths usually have things like lips, tongues, and the like. Almond shapped holes in a fatty mass does not equal a mouth.

I'm hoping that what I'm about to do will be a helpful act, and not just torture. I'm gonig to link some reference images that I think will give you a big hand.

I'm also going to slap one hell of a huge NSFW over these. Honestly, these aren't too pretty.

NSFW!!!

Examples of fat

http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-17249875.jpg?size=67&uid={7db4013a-8525-41c4-8fd6-bc949e7d591d}
    http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-16275412.jpg?size=67&uid={505f8696-61ac-4e8a-af16-18ec44928bef}
    http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-15267959.jpg?size=67&uid={666af599-83c1-4068-b9c9-461574b965a0}
    http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-15132610.jpg?size=67&uid={2161a8a5-1601-459f-99c8-4571703a6d11}
    http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-17006590.jpg?size=572&uid={34628bc1-623d-4610-b805-41c4266bc792}
    http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-15252065.jpg?size=67&uid={e1091fac-a5a5-41a9-9ba7-a3ce9ed76b6b}
    http://pro.corbis.com/images/AAGJ001495.jpg?size=67&uid={3416afad-b313-4b54-a36c-7a0aea76d801}
    http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-15262488.jpg?size=67&uid={3f133433-8e40-4a2b-9509-0679c255146e}
    http://pro.corbis.com/images/QG001474.jpg?size=67&uid={af746211-8d2c-447b-9fc0-e9aa3818a1fc}

Examples of piggies (these are safe for all eyes)

http://pro.corbis.com/images/AAJJ001726.jpg?size=67&uid={09e42636-9832-472f-9f29-c72f52e8e271}
    http://www.all-creatures.org/wm/yoda2.jpg
    http://k41.pbase.com/u39/asiatramp/upload/35007176.fatpig.jpg

A few other suggestions I have are that if you want to build more on the likeness of a pig, then don't just stop at the legs. The ones you have right now are tiny and not really noticeable, which is not a bad thing because it emphasizes how large this thing really is. You can carry it a little further though. Maybe try and capture the likeness of a pigs face in him. It may work, or it might not. As it stands though, the face doesn't really look that fat.

I also have no idea how or where his wings are actually connected to his body. Are they coming out of his expansive neck? His shoulders? Pick a spot and actually connect them to his body.

And lastly, since you want to put emphasis on him being the Lord of Flies (and rightfully so), a throne of swarming flies doesn't sound all that original. Flies are usually associated with death and decay. They're unclean and eat decaying organic tissues. And if that thought isn't icky enough for you, they vomit on their food and then suck it back up after its been dissolved (see: Brundlefly). I think you can take it a lot further if you try to tap into that aspect.

Thats about it for now I guess. Keep it up.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    GODDAMNIT BUCKWOLFE!!!

I see nsfw i think bewbs and instantly clicky click. that was just a horible surprise.

Damn you and your demon/fat worshipping cult!

Lly on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hahaha. Oh, Lly, you have no idea how much you just brightened up my day.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    *gasp* You're from the shitty cad forums! I totallee no who u r! Kinda!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This thread reminded me how much I loved Lord of the Flies. <3

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Project37 wrote:
    This thread reminded me how much I loved Lord of the Flies. <3

The book?

JCM on
  • Options
    thevo1tathevo1ta Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

demon1pz5.jpg

Not that I can talk, but I think his hands and feet need work. In your other works they are fine so I am confident you can make this one demon's look better. I also do not like the huge vein...

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The nipples are also funky. I think using a reference would work wonders.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The nipples are also funky. I think using a reference would work wonders.

So you're volunteering?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Oh, of course!

(NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW!!!)
    Here I am.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Hey, that's Byron!

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Oh, woops! I accidentally posted a picture from my secret stash.

Nobody was supposed to see that.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    A combination of beer and chainsawing duties made me unable to do some demons... here's some vampire hunters of mine-

hunter1zv1.jpg

hunter2oc5.jpg

hunterloonrx1.jpg

JCM on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I envy how clean and resolute your lines are, and I like #2.

What's the deal with the first dude's hands? Is one supposed to be freakish? His left hand is pretty normal-looking (although his nails are nicely gnarly), but his right hand looks huge or missing a finger or slightly webbed or all of the above.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    JCM wrote:
    hunterloonrx1.jpg

Shaggy?!?!

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Damn.. I did make the old sailor-type vampire hunter's pinky too thin, thanks for pointing it out..

I've got a fat mate who volunteered to model for me, I'll practice draing fat Saturday. :shock: Other than that, seems that more liked the first Beezlbub, I'll try to stay away from "animalistic features" and stick to "horrification of human features"

Anyway, thanks... I'll try and mix both Beezelbubs into a bettered version.. and get back to Satan

Here's

4) Belphegor, demon of Preguiça, aka Sloth.

Wanted him to be something like a disabled person (by choice through lack of limb usage)who drags himslf with his wings.

semttulo2cpiavs5.jpg

Did a second version of Asmodai...

Warning...

NSFW,

Nudity,

and stuff you wouldnt want to think of..

semttulo1cpiagr9.jpg

Yes, the penis is the demon, not the kid. I blame the beer I drunk yesterday.

JCM on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mayday wrote:
    ohno.jpg

Seriously that is a way more awesome and original concept. I envy the ability to abandon your original direction and go somewhere else altogether. I have trouble with that.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    At least I can rest assured that should one day I be unable to earn money as an art director,

I have a promising future career in Japanse hentai manga. :wink:

JCM on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    JCM wrote:
    At least I can rest assured that should one day I be unable to earn money as an art director,

Art director for what by the way? Games, films, design, tv etc? Just interested :P

Lly on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lly wrote:
    JCM wrote:

Art director for what by the way? Games, films, design, tv etc? Just interested :P

Advertising... I create ads/TV commercials/brochures for mostly universities, health agencies and construction companies...

Boring stuff, really. :(

JCM on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hosnap

Long penis is looooooooooooooooooooooooooong

I think I'm going to go hide in a corner now.

;_;

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    JCM wrote:
    semttulo2cpiavs5.jpg
    semttulo1cpiagr9.jpg

For the first, there is NO way that those wing tips could hold him up, there is just no way. Maybe make the wings shorter and stumpier to give him a better foundation and for the tip, dont have that little one finger dealie, make it a hand or a claw, that would give him more structure and balance.

His hands are in need of a revision too. The knuckles on his right hand are pushed in??? Pretty sure hands arnt supposed to do that.

His feet arnt on equal levels either. That and perspective is a little off too, you wouldnt see all of his foot, part of the problem is that there is no defined surface that he stands on so it makes it a little harder to get perspective right.

Love the concept for the second, make the boy a little more slumped over and droopy, you know, more like a rag doll.

Good stuff!

DeeLock on