As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]son Pollock

19495969798100»

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    5 mins until new job aaaaahhhh

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    on a theme of feral, though, the appearance of female NPCs who are protected as daughter-figures rather than as sex objects might reflect aging developers, and this does seem to be a recent pattern in AAA titles

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    *actually FC4's protagonist is asian american, something the game thinks makes it okay for the american to come in and just save the natives from the mean oppressor

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    on a theme of feral, though, the appearance of female NPCs who are protected as daughter-figures rather than as sex object might reflect aging developers, and this does seem to be a recent pattern in AAA titles

I totally agree!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    The average gaming protagonist is identical to who he was in 1998 - a large american dude in power armor of some sort (probably on a mission to save his planet or his girlfriend) because most game makers refuse to leave their comfort zones

now I'm wondering whether w40k marketing shows any age progression

Has the emperor visibly aged?

Other then that I dont think any characters get much artwork done of them

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Geralt of Rivia is a literary character from the early 90s iirc, he is the same visible age in 2015 as he was in 1995

11425-the-witcher.png

geralt_witcher_3.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ninja plural critical fail

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Feral wrote: »
    Geralt of Rivia is a literary character from the early 90s iirc, he is the same visible age in 2015 as he was in 1995

11425-the-witcher.png

geralt_witcher_3.jpg

Why yes, graphical fidelity has improved!

Geralt is treated as an older dude right from the outset, as he is in the books featuring him that date back over 20 years, since he's supposed to be like over a hundred because he literally stopped aging in his 40s in the fiction

you're also comparing "fresh off the battlefield geralt" to "cleaned up geralt"

Which is "a thing" in Witcher 3, the player character literally gets gruffer and dirtier the longer you go without a bath and a shave

witcher-3-barba.jpg

override367 on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Finished SR:HK.

They really stepped up in my opinion on this one. Still a few bugs this far out after launch, but I'm OK with that.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Weather is cloudy today. Politcal metaphor?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Clearly.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Clearly.

No, cloudy. Like the future of Stormont!

• Options
    although some of the games that carefully feature daughter figures also feature them in plunging necklines, so perhaps it's an elaborate ploy to feature younger-than-18 girls to 16yo consumers, without getting screamed at by moral guardians

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Clearly.

today's cooling-off day!

to quote the elections dept
    11 September 2015 is Polling Day for General Election (GE) 2015 in Singapore.

The day before Polling Day, 10 September 2015, is Cooling-off Day.

Cooling-off Day is a day when campaigning is disallowed and election advertising must not be published or displayed. This 24-hour campaign silence period is to let voters reflect rationally on various issues raised at an election before going to the polls.

coincidentally, today is also actually a remarkably cool day! it rained last night.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I think the phenomena of the "daughter character" is mostly because developers want to continue to rely on their crutch of "vulnerable female", because the roll of being weaker and in need of rescuing is still culturally assigned to women, while moving away from the "sex as reward" implication in the classic presentation of that trope

because game developers are incredibly stuck in their ways and change is scary

override367 on
  • Options

Clearly.

today's cooling-off day!

to quote the elections dept
    11 September 2015 is Polling Day for General Election (GE) 2015 in Singapore.

The day before Polling Day, 10 September 2015, is Cooling-off Day.

Cooling-off Day is a day when campaigning is disallowed and election advertising must not be published or displayed. This 24-hour campaign silence period is to let voters reflect rationally on various issues raised at an election before going to the polls.

coincidentally, today is also actually a remarkably cool day! it rained last night.

I like this idea.

Our voting day bans any and all electoral reporting until the polls close, but it doesn't feel the same.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Change is scary.

That's why I always carry paper currency, and avoid NZ and OZ (wtf^^, $1 and $2 coins)

• Options
    Change is scary.

That's why I always carry paper currency, and avoid NZ and OZ (wtf^^, $1 and $2 coins)

Buy gold

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I think there is a growing subset of games aimed at older gamers, there's no question about that in my mind

but I think the lion's share of the industry's dollars are still aimed squarely on the 16-30 demographic

I think there's a LOT more money to be made in gamers teetering on middle age than the mainstream industry gives credit, Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 weren't (vigorously!) funded by 19 year olds

override367 on
  • Options
    Change is scary.

Buy gold

Hur, in 'Murica, we buy beans and bullets!

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    On bus to astronomy prac that's been canceled 8 times. Itshappening.gif

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    On bus to astronomy prac that's been canceled 8 times. Itshappening.gif

yougotthis.gifv

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Comcast, you're annoying as shit.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    incidentally Geralt does not look quite so old in motion in the game

he's all gruff and miserable about being immortal and super strong and being carved out of marble

override367 on
  • Options
    Sun, you rise in the morning.

• Options
    Sun, you rise in the morning.

My internet is out. They are supposed to get a tech out here Friday morning to check the wires. So right now I'm online via tethering on my phone. Being an idiot I started downloading a big file. But my phone is also my night time white noise generator....so I can go to sleep or I can download the file.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

11425-the-witcher.png

geralt_witcher_3.jpg

Why yes, graphical fidelity has improved!

Geralt is treated as an older dude right from the outset, as he is in the books featuring him that date back over 20 years, since he's supposed to be like over a hundred because he literally stopped aging in his 40s in the fiction

you're also comparing "fresh off the battlefield geralt" to "cleaned up geralt"

Which is "a thing" in Witcher 3, the player character literally gets gruffer and dirtier the longer you go without a bath and a shave

witcher-3-barba.jpg

The 1st game is selling the lead on the image of a younger looking clean shaven protagonist.

The 3rd game is selling the image of a gruffer, more aged looking protagonist.

This ain't about graphical fidelity, it's the cover art.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was speeding through at warp 4

@Shivahn will create the new thread
    @RMS Oceanic is backup

This discussion has been closed.