As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Enrichment]- Simple Shapes, Light, and Form

2»

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dang dude. I would not be able to pick those apart from 3d renders.

• Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    this isn't as clean as it ought to be, but i got a headache making it, so goal accomplished i guess!
    lkpu9agxhh46.jpg

• Options
    @Projeck Is the canvas really small? It can be easier to smooch things out with a larger canvas.

• Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    yea @Iruka , my laptop has been overheating lately so i mostly have to stick to small filesizes, i'm gonna go in for another one after i eat and see if i can't get something smoother

edit: here we go -
    vgbe58uep8py.png

Projeck on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Very nice, Projeck!

Chico, beastly as always @_@
    ---

I did some shapes as a warm up, not too happy with the perspective or edges. Ah well, will keep that in mind, I plan on trying another soon!

f9xyzx0ee6ng.png

F87 on
  • Options
    @Projeck that is much improved! The bottom edge feels a little off, I think planting the shapes is one of the harder aspects of these studies.

@F87 the perspective is a little weird, what were you using as reference? did you set this up physically, or are you using 3D? Sometime I think using renders for this makes it harder to get accurate results.

• Options
    @Iruka I found some 3d renders on GIS and put them together. I think I will try setting up some shapes in blender and use a more consistent reference...

• Options
    Try setting up some objects on a table with a lamp. It will present a more fulfilling challenge.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I gave it a shot, the tiny flower pot gave me so much trouble! Perspective uhgg D: Probably should do a longer study soon.

hmkfbz0wwzdp.png

F87 on
  • Options
    Looks pretty good! drawing ellipses in perspective is harder than people think, so the flower pot looks pretty nice for freehand.

I think that the 3d renders can sometimes eliminate some of the subtleties, and it's nice to draw from a source that isn't still a potentially inaccurate representation of the object, even if the 3d is pretty good.

• Options
    AreatisAreatis Registered User regular
    Here's my attempt, I just set out a box I had laying around in my room. I haven't drawn anything like this in ages! I'll try to get some little wooden blocks or spheres tomorrow and practice some more.

vshp6vqsvj6m.jpg

image.jpg 1014.8K
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I cant tell if its a box with a lid, or if the darker shape is supposed to be the shadow. The box itself is really solid, Looks like you have a nice steady hand. Thats surprisingly difficult for some people to accomplish, so nice work on that. If you want to focus on getting the structure right for the purpose of building characters, you may also want to draw some shapes where you draw through the form. Here's an example of what I mean:
    https://youtu.be/5mxQxWdLo9Y?t=8m00s

I posted some advice about approaching the general assignment a little while ago, let me dump it here:
    Iruka wrote: »
    One thing that can help with these is to get some real blocks and set up a real lamp. At school, we had a bunch of blocks, bottles, and other simple geometric objects that had been fully painted white. As an exercise, that was Ideal, because you would only focus on the value.

The benefit of getting physical objects is you can move them around, and move yourself around, to get a full understanding of how light works. Approach it like a science project. Let me try and illustrate.
    diuq9lfzrxx2.jpg

here's two objects, the best I could find off hand. What you want to do is analyze these objects, looking for the following elements:
    basics%20sample.jpg

Not really sure why this video wasn't in the enrichment, but proko explains some of these concepts very well.
    What you want to do is take your objects and configure them and observe them. At first you don't even have to draw them, keep your light source the same and move the blocks so you can see how the different faces interact when being rotated under the light. keep your light simple (this is one, flexible neck desklamp) and focus in on trying to recreate what you see extremely accurately. Ask yourself whats going on as you go. So with arrangements like these:
    2fl0uktajqut.jpg
    Why does the chapstick on the top middle have a white line on the shadow side? On the bottom right, why does the shadow from the eraser appear to wrap around the cylinder? I suggest using bigger objects, if you can get your hands on some plain wooden blocks, that's ideal.

Iruka on
  • Options
    AreatisAreatis Registered User regular
    It's a box with a lid, looking back on it now that isn't too clear haha. I'll give some of the videos a watch and try to draw a few more shapes. I wasn't able to get myself some blocks today but I'll go hunting tomorrow and hopefully be able to get some cheap ones.

Also just a few quick questions, how long should I study this type of drawing for? Or is it an exercise I should do as a warm up and then start into drawing?

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I don't think there's a right answer for how long you should practice simple forms for. The more important question is whether or not you're learning from the exercise. Chances are you'll return to drawing forms at different points in your studies, because there's a lot that you can learn from them, some of which only becomes clear after you've progressed a certain amount.

You could do something like the 250 box exercise, but ideally you should have a goal when you start the exercise. At this stage you would probably be focused on getting the perspective to feel right, get comfortable with line weight, and experiment to see how far you can push the box (twisting, bending, intersecting, overlappnig, etc...).

As for warm ups, you'd probably be better off doing some gesture drawing or practising your line confidence.

Flay on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Yo I have been drawing boxes yea
    Here are the boxes I drew from last week until today
    250 boxes 11th of July
    DXxNvE2.jpg
    hQz8UHH.jpg
    xjJOofM.jpg
    kE9ijfS.jpg
    2F7qBRd.jpg
    50 boxes 12th of July
    2rWbxq6.jpg
    125 boxes 17th of July
    XQJ0MTg.jpg
    68 boxes 19th of July
    LWVP2Ie.jpg
    200 boxes 21st of July (Tried drawing them faster than usual)
    wPwKuF3.jpg

Boxes are blood

Peas on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    I like where the fastboxes are going. Are you using your wrist when drawing, or moving your whole arm? They are less sketchy and more deliberate lines.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Yes I am practicing to draw almost everything by moving my entire arm now :biggrin:

Peas on