As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android:Netrunner] The only time Bad Publicity isn't a thing to worry about.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Either you life the Jank Lyfe, or you play boring safe decks with no soul or style. (Probably my biggest beef with PPvP, really.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    But she can't. Surfer specifically targets barriers, so while she can break a barrier as a code gate and make that work, she can't touch any non-barrier ICE without the same help everyone else needs. I'll give you that it is a benefit, but it's a pretty minor one, and they can then counter it by installing anything else afterwards.

The steps for surf anything tm are:
    1) make them rez the outermost ice, don't die
    2) if its not a barrier, make it one
    3) surf it into the server
    4) break it when you get there

Other shapers need a fracter, surfer, probably paintbrush, and potentially a killer or decoder to safely do (1)

Kit needs only a decoder, surfer, and probably paintbrush since the ice you surf in on will be both a code gate and a barrier as her ability is a 'gains'. Since shaper decoders are so efficient it will cost you less credits than using a fracter to boot. You can do it in any shaper, its more efficient and reliable in Kit.

Since Kit pressures the corp into multiple ice servers, you're also more likely to have an opportunity to use the combo.

• Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Either you life the Jank Lyfe, or you play boring safe decks with no soul or style. (Probably my biggest beef with PPvP, really.)

To be fair, PPVP Kate had bags of style when it was first created - I don't think people had quite appreciated the amount of Shaper Bullshit(TM) that was available until she started breaking into 3-deep servers from an empty board while overwriting her own breakers along the way. And then doing it again the next turn.

It's because it's been around and dominant for so long that it now seems boring, which is pretty much the fate of any strong deck.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Kester wrote: »

To be fair, PPVP Kate had bags of style when it was first created - I don't think people had quite appreciated the amount of Shaper Bullshit(TM) that was available until she started breaking into 3-deep servers from an empty board while overwriting her own breakers along the way. And then doing it again the next turn.

It's because it's been around and dominant for so long that it now seems boring, which is pretty much the fate of any strong deck.

You either don't make the cut as a rogue or live long enough to see yourself become the new tier 1 deck.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    been playing this noise deck for a couple weeks

really back-to-basics, I like it a lot
    New Noise

Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire (Core Set)

Event (9)
    3x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
    3x I've Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
    3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (4)
    2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ••••
    2x Grimoire (Core Set)

Resource (9)
    3x Aesop's Pawnshop (Core Set) ••••• •
    3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
    3x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)

Icebreaker (6)
    2x Corroder (Core Set)
    1x Faust (The Underway)
    2x Mimic (Core Set)
    1x ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead) ••

Program (17)
    3x Cache (The Spaces Between) •••
    3x Datasucker (Core Set)
    3x Gravedigger (Order and Chaos)
    3x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
    2x Medium (Core Set)
    3x Parasite (Core Set)
    15 influence spent (max 15)
    45 cards (min 45)
    Cards up to The Underway

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I'd really like to find room for a couple cyberfeeders, so I'll probably go down to two Deja Vu and two Gravedigger

• Options
    Oh my goodness yes. One of the Legendary cards from Millennium Blades just got previewed. Art's not done yet, but he should be familiar to NR players.
    LKIOAf0.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    So Quetzal Surfer. That's going to be a thing right? I might have to use it to fill the Kit shaped hole in my heart.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    It totally is and it's going to be amazing and so gimmicky

• Options
    Oh, nice to see it's still swingin' even in a world with Film Critic. A Argus deck took home the win at the Polish nationals. Link.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    You know, maybe there's finally enough stuff to make Gagarin interesting. Universe of Tomorrow adds some cool stuff.

Also, if/when we get to rotation, I hope that first set is like a "ten years later" Genesis/spin cycle (they rotate out simultaneously right?). It would be kind of cool to see how things had moved forward in the Netrunner universe. Just get a couple cool rehashes and throwbacks like a grown up CT. Maybe Jackson Howard has moved on or gotten promoted. Maybe the E7 implants are just coming to market. Kati Jones now runs a fleet of drivers. I think that would be neat.

• Options
    I actually wonder if the next deluxe set will instead be a revamped core box.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    You know, maybe there's finally enough stuff to make Gagarin interesting. Universe of Tomorrow adds some cool stuff.

I agree, I think there might finally be a critical mass of "must trash" assets that are playable in Weyland that you can't just money up and hammer centrals against Gagarin and hope you'll win.

• Options

We're all done with deluxe boxes unless they lied to us.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »

We're all done with deluxe boxes unless they lied to us.

when did they say D&D would be the last?

• Options
    Their projected plan slide from some conference a while ago ended with D&D but showed future cycles. Also I think they've mentioned it in various literature about rotation.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I have one core set. I am willing to buy a limited number of more things to build up to two decks for each player type in order to try to talk some people into playing with me.

Can anyone recommend deck lists for this (preferably balanced)? Bearing in mind, again, the goal not of having perfect decks, but of inexpensively having a little more play flexibility while seeing if I can get others to play.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I have one core set. I am willing to buy a limited number of more things to build up to two decks for each player type in order to try to talk some people into playing with me.

Can anyone recommend deck lists for this (preferably balanced)? Bearing in mind, again, the goal not of having perfect decks, but of inexpensively having a little more play flexibility while seeing if I can get others to play.

Honestly you should be fine just playing with the core set if you don't know that you'll pursue a local scene/have people to play with. The core set has tons of game in it. Other than that, I would say just look at a deluxe expansion or two, or maybe just look around at some packs and see what seems cool to you. The problem is that you're so new that you have no idea what factions you like, which would be helpful.

Another look, but possibly the least sexy, is just buying another core set. Some of the best cards in the core set are just 1 or 2 ofs. This will give you a bit more latitude in deck building, and it's not a bad investment if you do get into the game, since many of the best cards in the game are still in the core set.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Core shaper vs core hb is great to start

sig.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Haarpsichord continues to be fun as hell. Watching someone's face as you score a Profiteering and zoom ahead by another twelve credits is delightful. Oh no they have 9 bad pub to spend on breaking ice you don't have. Got to watch the credit differential, but usually it's ok. PPVP Kate is a problem, but there isn't much of her about right now here. Noise/Faust is far more prevalent, and while he can get rich, he isn't as quick out of the blocks, which a means you can get a lead going that might enable you to just score and win.

• Options
    has anyone used Fisk yet?

my gut tells me he's just kinda medicore right now, like Geist, but that's also what I thought about Leela and we can see how that turned out

I'd try him myself but my game store still doesn't have universe of tomorrow

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I played against him a bunch when he was first unveiled, his ability was a massive jerk move. Kept cards flooding into your hand that you probably couldn't use at the moment and just clogs things up.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    The question is, does he actually hurt NBN fast advance, or help it? Because I'd think that's kind of a gamble right now ...

• Options
    The question is, does he actually hurt NBN fast advance, or help it? Because I'd think that's kind of a gamble right now ...

I think in most cases he helps it, and Butchershop, and IG. It's a matchup dependent thing that will have to be used cleverly to ensure that it harms more than it hurts.

My worry is that in a tournament setting when you're not quite sure what kind of deck you're facing, it ends up being a bit of a gamble.

• Options
    At the minimum, something to possibly look into for him is Woman in a Red Dress, since you know what exactly you are flushing into the corp's hand.

Plus it can get cards out of the way if you've got easy access to R&D to see even more cards. See what it is at the start of your turn, run R&D, if it's something you want to steal take it, if it isn't kick it to HQ and access what's under it.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    WitRD is one of those problem cards that costs more than twice as much influence as it should. Fisk is the first runner that might actually want to use it, and it's just insane to put it out.
    Maybe I'll try something silly with him going for Medium deep digs. You can force-draw cards out of the way and use the central breakers' efficiency to kick out in the early game? I don't know that he's as good as Leela, but he could be a nice change anyway.

• Options
    I don't know, red dress seems a bit like running Logos in Leela

just committing too heavily to your ability for what it gives you

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I am currently trying out Geist + medium + fisk seminar. I haven't played enough games to say if it has any legs.

I also want to try out keyhole in Geist, and mainly target economy cards to help with the account shipon lock.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Valencia+WNP+Paparazzi+DLR decks are a thing! Played one tonight and mostly dominated. Biggest counter is Corporate Town - ran into that randomly and got rekt. Second biggest counter is Jinteki with bluffing games. Would either stand up to Noise or Kate? Unclear, but this deck has legs.

Also I still contend that Film Critic is stupid in how much it just turns off.

• Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Details on the third pack in the Mumbad cycle:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/democracy-and-dogma/
    Councilman seems super good. Turn off Jackson, caprice, ash. So many cards it can be awesome against.

xiears on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    xiears wrote: »

Councilman seems super good. Turn off Jackson, caprice, ash. So many cards it can be awesome against.
    I think political operative is a lot better vs caprice, people are already preemptively rezzing to dodge drive bys and this just gives more incentive

Cool ideas though, that current has the best card name since It's a Trap!

• Options
    edited September 2015
    They're both pretty welcome additions, IMO. Councilman might be handy if you don't have the influence to space.

Nero seems interesting as well, with his panic button escape from a run if he meets something deadly.

I wanna see what that new Weyland grid is in that card fan, dangit.

Akshara feels... like a bad plan, unless you've got ready access to Clot to keep them from scoring out 3-advance agendas from hand.

EDIT:
    Nah, Clone Suffrage Movement still wins on the naming front, especially since it's a HB asset.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options

ehhhh like Drive By, it's too easy to play around

I like Political Operative a lot more

others: Nero seems okay, but his console will probably see more play than he will

an MU and a link on one card for two, with an ability that will sometimes matter?

yeah, I'll take that for Geist

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

ehhhh like Drive By, it's too easy to play around

I like Political Operative a lot more

others: Nero seems okay, but his console will probably see more play than he will

an MU and a link on one card for two, with an ability that will sometimes matter?

yeah, I'll take that for Geist

You're forgetting that card's major drawback which it shares with all others of its type
    It's not Desperado

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    It's different enough to justify it. Those are some pretty good benefits for the price in Criminal decks that don't always want to run, which exist. Like, seriously, it has teeth, that one.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I just want everyone to know that I thought up Nero, like, three months ago. Ask Hat.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Reflection is basically Dyson Mem Chip ++. Definitely good in Geist and connection-based decks similar to it.

Nero + Reflection makes me think he's going to be the criminal who can play Au Revoir the best. Gain credits and see what the corp has in hand? Sure!

Political Operative gives a solid, splashable answer to Caprice, Ash, Batty, and Jackson. I expect it to be a 2-of in a lot of lists.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    I just put my cards into binders

it took me like five hours (partially because I fucked up halfway through and had to redo a bunch of it)

totally worth it

now if only there were any decks I wanted to build

• Options

it took me like five hours (partially because I fucked up halfway through and had to redo a bunch of it)

totally worth it

I'm not looking to start The Great Binder vs. Not Binder flame war, but here's something I don't understand: do you not have to redo everything every time a new pack comes out? Unless you store them in release date order, I suppose.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Epimer wrote: »

totally worth it

I'm not looking to start The Great Binder vs. Not Binder flame war, but here's something I don't understand: do you not have to redo everything every time a new pack comes out? Unless you store them in release date order, I suppose.

You order them by type, and each new card bumps one card up by one, but since you ordered them by type you only have to bump one card at the front of a type to now be the last card of that type.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Bogart wrote: »
    Epimer wrote: »

totally worth it

You order them by type, and each new card bumps one card up by one, but since you ordered them by type you only have to bump one card at the front of a type to now be the last card of that type.

Does that mean there's no organization within each type? I'm sorry if this is a really daft question - I'm struggling to get my head around it!

Epimer on
This discussion has been closed.