As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's: Civilization Beyond Earth

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    One of the themes of BE is that a large scale calamity happened which wiped out a lot of the cultural knowledge of the world. So we have lots of old quotes being misapplied and such. Daedalus was probably not thought of as a cautionary tale in that timeline.

On the other hand, i can't really see a calamity that would be so great as to do that which also still allows us to catapult ourselves to distant planets so it doesn't feel right that we "lost" the history of the world in that manner.

In the in it was probably the worst decision for BE, since it served to distance the game concept from our personal understanding of the world in a way that is jarring.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I really feel like whoever wrote the tech descriptions was super passionate about his or her job, and its just a shame that all of their work creating this sci-fi back story is completely separated from the rest of the game.

Yeah, a lot of the text in BE is great. It just lacks the impact of the world-building in SMAC because there's no voiceovers or cutscenes to back it up.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah if there are no pretty pictures and soothing voices, my eyes glaze over and I hit "OK".

Guys.

Guys.

I just had the best idea.

Peter Dinklage for BE voice overs.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Aside from the voice overs, cutscenes, and interludes, one other thing that SMAC did well for worldbuilding was the mad-libs style interface to diplomacy. They really managed to convey a lot of character in those interactions. It probably wouldn't be that hard to use the same style of delivery with a more robust diplomacy system, or whatever diplomacy system is chosen. One of the things that has always bugged me about Civ5 is how flat and substitutable so much of the diplomacy tends to feel. One civilization's delivery feels pretty much exactly the same as the others. In a game where you are basing the identities on ideologies rather than nationalities, it makes having a strong distinct voice in diplomacy even more important.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Beyond Earth is having another Free Weekend, though I'm sure that most of you in the thread here probably have it already. It'll give me another few days to play it though.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I started playing for the free weekend. Build a city, start exploring... and then another faction lands right on my border boxing me in a corner so that I can't expand without destroying this new city. So I attack it. It has no troops, but wipes out my army. Ok. I build an army of stuff the game says is great at attacking cities. It is destroyed. I build a bigger army, and get several upgrade to the units from leveling my focus thing. Still destroyed. Bigger army, more upgrades, meatshield units to protect the missiles from city strikes, get the city down so low that you can't even see any of its health bar... then city heals and my army is destroyed.

Decide perhaps this game is not for me, feel glad I didn't pay for it.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Just out of curiosity, did you use bombarding (or whatever the BE equivalent is)? I mean using long range attacks that keep your unit safe.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    By the sound of it, solely bombardment units were used, and no unit to move into the city once defenses were low enough was present. But I could be wrong!

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Even with city health bar thing in the red, there was no noticeable reduction in city defenses (got it down that far twice, then my armies were destroyed and the city healed to full). I used a combination of bombarding and ground troops. The range of the bombarding units I used was the same range as the cities missile defense, so when they were in range to attack, they were in range to be attacked. Using foot troops to attack the city resulted in them being either immediately destroyed or almost completely destroyed while barely baking a dent in the city health. After my last attempt which included 6 artillery with the 30% vs cities upgrade, two marines and one ranger units stolen by spies, one needle jet from my city which was in range, three brawlers units, and two xeno swarms I finally decided the call it when their troopless city demolished the last artillery.

I couldn't build anything for orbital attacks because that required oil, which I couldn't reach due to being blocked into a corner which contained no oil. Any attempts to send out colonists by sea were destroyed by aliens.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    If you decide to play again: you can hop in the water and build a 2nd city on a different island/explore the map and figure out a way to encircle the 2nd civ.

Theres usually no need to destroy everything in your path right away.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    You can't take cities in the early game without overwhelming numbers (I'm talking surrounding the city with soldiers while rangers hit it repeatedly). You can't feasibly do it until you get artillery.

EDIT: Even then it's hard. Orbital lasers help.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    You need to send a melee unit at the city once you've depleted it's health.

Once you successfully gotten the city's health to that minimum value, the weakest of units will capture the city (they'll get the stuffing kicked out of them and sent to 1% health, but they'll take the city)

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Not sure why but had the urge to play this today instead of standard Civ 5.

Put it on gemini since they have messed with the AI that it actually goes for victories now.

Took 415 turns. Mostly because it was a terran/continent map. If it wasn't for the teleport satellites I would of lost. ARC was about 5 turns off from winning via contact victory if I didn't smash her.

I went purity this game. So did all but like 3 off the AIs. The large amount of LEV special units though was required.

My standard invasion was floating tanks, floating arty, lev tanks, lev destroyers, and dreadnoughts. I also kept a pair of carriers around too for air cover. Helps reduce the damage I took a lot. Sadly the air power always feels anemic t me in BE for bombing runs.

The only victory I have not done is contact actually. Not sure why. Just doesn't feel like a fun way to win.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    None of the victory conditions are super fun to win. I forgot how much the Purity win actively bothers me. Click to summon the guy, have them sloooowly move, arbitrarily need 4 colonies (and space for said colonies). Meh.

Also: cannot fucking believe they never fixed the Forever War bug.

Basically game remains one I'll play on free weekends but I have no interest in spending money on it still.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm really curious what their sales numbers will be for this first expansion. I have a feeling they are going to be lackluster until people get a good read on whether or not it's worth the money. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big price drop in the first few months.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I always turn off contact victory. Its far and away the easiest won, and just plain not fun since it just involves sitting on your arse until you win.

• Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    I really hope they don't waste the opportunity provided by this first expansion. The community has mostly moved on so if this is anything short of spectacular, it may end up being the final nail in the coffin.

iEnq7sx.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Actually...this expansion is starting to sound really cool. I think I might buy it.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Actually...this expansion is starting to sound really cool. I think I might buy it.

Don't believe their lies :x

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I'll wait until it's on steam sale before I pick it up. If I get in 2 games, that'll easily be worth the 5-10 bucks.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Here's some stuff about the hybrid affinities, it's from the video but in case anyone doesn't want to watch through the whole thing first (and shamelessly borrowed from someone else who borrowed it from Reddit)
    Purity/Supremacy

Focused on master-servant relationship between humans and machines. This hybrid takes the “toolmakers” mentality of Supremacy in a different direction. They engineer extremely powerful, elaborate robots but make sure they aren’t sentient. They don’t become robots, they use robots as vehicles and tools; there is always a human overlord who is supreme. (They like the 3 laws of Asimov.) All their unique units are powerful, remote controlled robots or controlled by some sort of driver.

Their unit color is White with cyan and blue as their secondary color with accents of light orange. Their aesthetic is based on the porcelain doll, idealized, but clearly mechanical.

Soldier - Eidolon

Automatically heal every turn or +30% when flanking

+24 Strength
    Gunner - Virtuoso

Attack over Terrain obstacles or +8% per adjacent friendly unit

+8 Strength
    1 more attack every turn.
    Can move after attacking.
    Combat Rover - Maestro

+1 Movement or Ignore Zones of Control when moving

+30 Strength
    All terrain costs 1 movement
    Levitates over land and sea terrain
    Patrol Boat - Baron

+20% when attacking or defending when in friendly orbital coverage or Reveal invisible enemy units

+24 Strength
    Gunboat - Countess

+1 Range or Can move after attacking

+16 Strength
    +26 Ranged Strength
    Unique - Autosled

Combat Capabilities unknown.

Unique - Drone Cage

Support actions heal surrounding allied units by +10?

(Is a dude with a pair or fly robot drones. Go figure.)

Ultimate Unique - Golem

Defensive unit. Capable of turning into a wall that blocks attacks for allies. Great for sieges?

(Looks kind of goofy, but its attack animation is kind of awesome.)

Harmony/Purity

Harmony/Purity takes the idea of the human form and makes it “godlike”.

Its hard to hybridize anything with Purity because they’re so rigid, so fanatical. So with this hybrid, the fanaticism expressed, just in another route. It embraces Genetic Manipulation and Artificial Evolution, learning from the planet we’ve landed on (the Harmony flavor) and using it not to become more Harmony but using it to push the human form beyond any historical limitations. They engineer the superhuman, a human unto or as close as they can get to the divine.

Their main color is Bronze with accents and weapon fire of purple. They take on a sort of Greco-Roman, ideal which is evocative of deities and demigods. Similarly, the names of their units utilize Eternal/Immortal perspectives on humanity.

Soldier - Champion

Terrain Costs 1 Movement or Automatically heal every turn.

+24 Strength
    Gunner - Kodiak

All terrain costs 1 movement or Attack over terrain obstacles

+8 Strength
    +26 Ranged Strength
    Combat Rover - Gladiator

Can move after attacking or +1 movement

+30 Strength
    Patrol Boat - Argo

Automatically heal every turn or +20% when attacking or defending when in friendly orbital coverage

+24 Strength
    Gunboat - Mako

Automatically heal every turn or +1 Range

+16 Strength
    +26 Ranged Strength
    Unique - Immortal

Genetically modified shock troop

(Has weapons built INTO the soldier!)

Unique - Architect

Support unit capable of buffing allies or debuffing enemies.

(Has antenna things on the backs of some of its models.)

Ultimate Unique - Throne?

Combat Capabilities Unknown

Supremacy/Harmony

They had a lot of fun with this hybrid. Harmony and Supremacy are perhaps the most divergent of affinities and the resultant is an unbelievable mishmash of crazy juxtaposition.

They’re definitely the craziest hybrid, with a “Power by any means” attitude, They see no need to focus on either the organic or mechanical, instead saying “Why can’t we have both?” drawing on the Power and Lessons from both sources. They create super bizarre, pseudo-impossible cyborgs; hybrids that are neither robot or organism. Something in between where neither part can exist without the other. Powerful organism with a lot of augmentations, you don’t know where one ends and the other begins.

Soldier - Hellion

+30% when flanking or All Terrain costs 1 movement

+24 Strength
    Gunner - Fury

+8% per adjacent friendly unit or All terrain costs 1 movement

+8 Strength
    1 more attack every turn
    Can move after attacking
    Combat Rover - Savage

Ignore zones of control when moving or Can move after attacking

+24 Strength
    +1 Movement
    Patrol Boat - Vortex

Reveal invisible enemy units or Automatically heal every turn

+24 Strength
    Gunboat - Wrath

Can move after attacking or Automatically heal every turn

+16 Strength
    +18 Ranged Strength
    +1 Range
    Unique - Geliopod

Invisible Melee Unit

Unique - Nanohive

Combat Capabilities Unknown

Ultimate Unique - Aquillon

Flying Carrier with "weak" direct attack

(looks creepy/cool)

Hybrid Affinity: Harmony and Supremacy
    hybrids_001.jpg

Hybrid Affinity: Purity and Harmony
    hybrids_002.jpg

Hybrid Affinity: Supremacy and Purity
    hybrids_003.jpg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I've gotta get me some Supremely Pure soldiers stat.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Purity/Harmony soldiers look weirdly low-res to me.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Here's some art/concept for three of the unique units, I don't know if it's in the video or not

j7BKqK2.png

VixrlRt.jpg

tPy1SQ3.jpg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Is that a flying aircraft carrier?

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I think I still like mono-supremacy best.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Final faction just got leaked on a Korean website.

http://ruliweb.daum.net/news/view/75181.daum

At least I think it's the final faction.

Either that or a very bizarrely-timed mod that somehow managed to also incorporate Rising Tide's new diplomacy interface.

mun_02.jpg

Glyph on
  • Options
    Confirmed.

2KGMKT_CIV_BERT_LEADER_PROFILE_IMAGE_CHUNGSU.jpg

• Options
    I don't like the way he's looking at me.

There is only one way to fix that.

War.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    The reason you don't like the way has looking at you is because he's the game's first actual full-fledged villain.

https://www.civilization.com/en/news...on-of-chungsu/

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that I'm the actual full-fledged villain in all of my Civilization games.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Why do you all obstinately refuse to bow down to me and my exponentially-growing power graph?"

-- every player in every 4x game ever.

• Options
    Glyph wrote: »
    The reason you don't like the way has looking at you is because he's the game's first actual full-fledged villain.

https://www.civilization.com/en/news...on-of-chungsu/

Yes..... Yes. That's the reason why. I'm on a crusade to rid the world of the big bad.

That's what the history books will say...

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean

you win civilization games basically by executing the european colonial/imperial game plan as well as possible; even playing as benignly as possible in Civ5 essentially just makes you ultra-Portugal, all conspiring to give the less-technologically-advanced people of other continents a pittance for their natural resources

BE expansion looks cool but I will definitely wait to see how it reviews; is there any info yet about how/if they are expanding the victory conditions? My biggest issue with BE was that all of them aside from domination felt really same-y

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    "Why do you all obstinately refuse to bow down to me and my exponentially-growing power graph?"

-- every player in every 4x game ever.
    It's even worse in multiplayer. I find myself thinking things like "Do you not realize that you are only delaying the inevitable? You cannot beat me! Why are you still fighting?". Frankly I'm surprised that I haven't turned into a jRPG boss by this point. Maybe the hero needs to deal more damage to me before I assume my true form.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    My favorite thing to do in civilization 5 was donate entire armies to city states so that I could fight proxy wars against my foes without officially declaring war.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    My favorite thing to do in civilization 5 was donate entire armies to city states so that I could fight proxy wars against my foes without officially declaring war.

The America Gambit.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Glyph wrote: »
    Confirmed.

2KGMKT_CIV_BERT_LEADER_PROFILE_IMAGE_CHUNGSU.jpg

tumblr_lbbsjtVQTZ1qzm6oeo1_500.jpg

dare to compare.

also, sup/harmony and sup/purity units need to swap models, but keep their color pallets

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I mean

you win civilization games basically by executing the european colonial/imperial game plan as well as possible; even playing as benignly as possible in Civ5 essentially just makes you ultra-Portugal, all conspiring to give the less-technologically-advanced people of other continents a pittance for their natural resources

I don't rush the Great Library. That usually helps the other civs pull ahead on higher difficulty settings.

Then you can play the less advanced power struggling to catch up technologically, and eventually exacting your revenge on those who underestimated you.