As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PAX Pokemon League PRIME 2015!!!

ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader!Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in PAX West
Ffc33V1.png

Welcome to the PA Forums thread for the PAX Pokemon League at PAX Prime 2015!

What is the PAX Pokemon League?
The PAX Pokemon League is a weekend-long alternate reality game played at PAX! Gym Leaders wander the convention center halls, ready to battle upstart young challengers like you! Find them and defeat them in battle, and you'll receive their badge. If you can collect eight gym badges, you'll earn the right to find and challenge the Elite Four, and the Champion, for the right to be crowned champion yourself!

Battles can take place anywhere at PAX, and are conducted using Pokemon X or Y. Note that this is NOT a tournament: just like in the game, ANYONE can train a team of their favorite Pokemon and challenge the League. We plan to have Gym Leaders at many difficulty levels, so everyone has a chance to live the Pokemon dream!

A little more info...
Started at PAX Prime 2010, the PAX Pokemon League has grown and continues to grow each year! The PPL focuses on creating a fun quest where you can recreate the hero's journey from the games, collect badges, and attempt to prove yourself by challenging the Elite Four and the Champion!

What do I need to participate?
All that is required is a copy of the newest Pokemon game (for Prime 2015, we will be using ORAS (or X and Y)!), keen eyesight*, and a love of Pokemon Battle! Gym Leaders will be all over PAX, and can be identified by their bright green scarves. Approach them, challenge them to a battle, and if they deem you worthy, you'll earn their badge! No need to sign up or anything, just find a Gym Leader and start battling!

*Note: Keen eyesight only required to see neon green clothes in a sea of black t-shirts.

If, however, you want to know more about the league, join the community of challengers, and find information and hints that will help you locate and identify the Gym Leaders... well, you should visit our site where in the coming months we're going to be revealing leader profiles, detailed rules, and other fun things. We've also got a twitter account (@PaxPokemon) where Gym Leaders will often post their locations as they wander the con, and a Facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/pages/PAX-Pokemon-League/139432372766011) where if you like us you can see news and pictures from our Hall of Fame!

What are the rules?
The rules have been posted at http://paxpokemonleague.net/rules/ and have been updated for ORAS.

What do I win?
Those who conquer the league will win eternal glory as a champion, being immortalized in the Hall of Fame, along with respect from their peers, and the ability to be forced to sit through the game's credits sequence.

Also, there may be some prizes...

That sounds awesome, can I help?
We are currently accepting applications for Gym Leaders! If that sounds like something you want to do, please send in an application as soon as you can! We're accepting applications until April 22nd. Just register for the forums and fill out an application! The link to the application can be found in this post!

So, that's great, but what is this thread for?
This is the place to interact with challengers and leaders! We're always looking for cool ideas to improve the league, or input on rules that will help make the league more fun.

We also want to spread the word about the league! Tell us if you have any ideas about people we should talk to to get the word out.

If nothing else, we're always up for discussions about shorts and how comfy and easy to wear they are. Or we can talk about how our Rattata is in the top percentage of all Rattata...

You guys are cool people, can I hang out with you?
You sure can! Visit our forums, follow our twitter or like our facebook page!

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
Propriety on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    well that's quite the short deadline :P

• Options
    ErkenhelmErkenhelm Registered User regular
    For anyone interested in seeing a little bit of the PAX Pokemon League action, we are doing regular uploads of videos on our YouTube channel. Currently we are doing videos with PAX East gym leaders, but will probably have some reveal videos where you can get a sneak peek at some Prime leaders and their teams soon. Videos go up every Tuesday and Thursday.

We also stream on Twitch. Every Friday night around 9 pm EST/6 pm Pacific we stream ORAS, usually doing viewer battles with anyone interested in chat. Saturday nights around 7 pm EST/4 pm Pacific we stream theme battles on Showdown. Inspired by the PAX Pokemon League gym leaders all having different and fun themes, I will take suggestions for themes and make a team around it on Showdown. I will then do a few battles with viewers with that team.

• Options
    seattleramseattleram Registered User new member
    Oh my gosh! I am so excited for this! I am a total n00b to the TCG, but by no means a Pokémon n00b. If anyone in the Seattle area wants to battle, let me know! I'm still learning and need to build my confidence!

• Options
    Hey everyone, if you're interested in challenging the PPL this year there is a new series on our YouTube channel that you might want to check out. It will give you a sneak preview of possible Pokemon for different leaders' teams. Here is the first video.

• Options
    For anyone who is considering challenging us this year, there has been an update to the rules that us leaders have decide on. You can check them out here: http://paxpokemonleague.net/rules Because Prime and Aus are so close together, both groups of leaders are getting ready at the same time and discussing changes. Some rules have been added/removed/changed for Prime but have not been decided on for Aus yet, so those rules are highlighted in blue to represent that they will apply in Seattle.

We're about a month and a half out from Prime and I am getting extremely excited to battle as many of you as possible, so start getting your teams ready! Its never too early to start, and don't forget to stop by and check out our Twitch streams and YouTube videos. They're a great way to get some previews of some people you may be challenging and the streams are a good way to get some experience within our rule set.

• Options
    The theme for this years PPL Prime has been revealed! Check out our website here to read about what it is. We're less than a month away from Prime, so keep an eye out on our Twitter/Facebook/website to see all of our announcements.

• Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    EXCITING!!! :D Prime's going to be great this year, I just know it!

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Excited to see how well my Pokemon team holds up. I'll make sure to make sure that my team meets all criteria. I look forward to seeing all the other(I run a Pokemon league where I live) Gym Leaders and challenging the Elite Four.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    So much training left to do, but it'll be worth it! Hope you're all getting ready too!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing both of you at the end of your journey through the PAX Pokemon League!

• Options
    Leader reveals for this year have started! The first reveal can be seen here! New reveals can be seen from the main page of the website.

We have also started a training guide series on our YouTube channel that goes over the basics of breeding/training Pokemon effectively. The first video was uploaded today and can be found here.

• Options
    SuperSaiyanFifeSuperSaiyanFife OverWatch: SSJFifeRegistered User regular
    This sounds fun. Ill have to keep my DS loaded with AS all weekend

Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable. – Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
  • Options
    The PAX Pokemon League is one of those hidden gems at PAX. It's really great for any pokemon fan with a current gen game.

• Options
    This sounds fun. Ill have to keep my DS loaded with AS all weekend

It is a lot of fun, its my favorite thing to do at PAX whether I'm a challenger or a gym leader.

All of the leaders for this year have been revealed, as well as the elite 5 and the champion went up early this morning. Note that while we have 5 elite members, you still only need to beat 4 of them in order to face the champion. We added an extra to try and help with wait times and to give challengers another option to challenge if they happen to lose to one of the other elites so a rematch is not required (depending on demand, you may have to wait as long as until the next day for a rematch, but that is unlikely just give others a chance to get their battle in if there's a line).

Another point that we want to stress: if we have our green scarves on (that's what we use to identify ourselves, they have the PPL logo on them and most leaders swap badges with each other and put them all on there) that means we are available for battles. We frequently hear that a challenger saw a leader outside of the hand held lounge with their scarf but weren't sure if it was ok to challenge them. The answer is yes, its more than ok it's welcomed. Doesn't matter where you are at PAX, scarf on means open for challenges.

The PPL Aus leaders usually do a podcast and this week the guy who runs it did a Prime episode with us. A few Prime leaders talk briefly about the rules and some of the changes made this time around.
    That pretty much wraps up what I have to say. I hope to see a bunch of you at PAX this weekend as challengers. Gl HF!

• Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Hey everybody! PAX Prime is well over, and we hope those of you who participated in the PPL had loads of fun! As part of our effort to always be improving, we've made up a little survey you can take, and we'd love to hear your opinions on how things went! It's not too long, and just asks about stuff like how you found gym leaders, what things you liked/disliked were, how tough the league was, etc. Filling it out helps us out a lot!

Also, even if you DIDN'T participate, you can still fill out the survey! It's just shorter. ;D But you can still let us know what your favorite Pokemon is!

Check it outttttttt:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1mMoaJA1ptC6JGxrJs8mI6gx_Gm3oy_tZm53PAgJC0Cw/viewform

And if you're going to PAX Aus or PAX South, be sure to keep an eye out for info in those subforums! PPL Aus gym leaders are rarin' to go, and soon we'll be putting out a call for PPL South gym leaders!

Propriety awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay~

• Options
    @Propriety your survey has a few references to older paxes in it still :P (sorry you couldn't make it to east 2014!)