As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First Time In A Long time

ninjaininjai Registered User regular
edited September 2015 in Artist's Corner
20150913_125941_zpshgfqwxnw.jpg

About 9 hours. Already pushing how long I've ever spent on anything, and I've never finished a piece ever, so here's my first stab in a long time.

Been about 3 years since I've done anything legitmate. Sorry for the shitty photo. The big gray blotches are the cracked lense on my camera. Any crits?

ninjai on

• Options
    20150913_153704_zps06utlkti.jpg
    Already my best work ever. Got the right scarf/coat blocked in. I camt wait to see this thing when it's done

• Options
    edited September 2015
    20150913_170754_zpssum3wuab.jpg

Last update today. Started rushing so I'm going to break and come back refreshed. Sorry if size is too big, posted from my phone so idk

It occurs to me now that the right eye is pretty fucked lol.

Can somebody show me what's going wrong there?

...though maybe it's the photo angle?

Eh it was the nose, and the chin is too big, bleh

ninjai on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Hard for me to tell from the photos, but…

I think I see a lot of parallel lines in the shading. Hurts the illusion if you are going for realism. I think using very small circles instead of long strokes would help.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Or maybe follow the form with your lines, such as Gibson
    chas-dana-gibson-0.jpg
    but as such I don't have any problems with long strokes if you're purely going for value (however following the form will help improve your sense of form, so I would still recommend that)
    Get a scanner though, or take the photos in better lighting, it's very hard to critique something this blurry.