As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CODENAMES - Ten games completed! That's all for now.

MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
edited December 2015 in Critical Failures
CODENAMES
A Game by Vlaada Chvátil

Game Overview
Codenames is played between two teams, Red and Blue on a set of twenty-five codenames. Each team consists of a single spymaster who knows the secret identity behind each codename, with the remaining players as field operatives who will contact the codenames. On each turn of the game, the spymaster provides a clue to their field operatives. The field operatives will then attempt to contact at least one of their aligned agents based on the codenames clued. The first team to activate all of their agents wins the game!

Game Setup
Players are divided into two teams, Red and Blue. Each team consists of one spymaster, with the remaining players as field operatives. All players observe a set of twenty-five words, representing codenames for agents aligned with each team. While field operatives do not observe the identities of each of the codenames, the spymasters each get to see the identity of all codenames.

There are four different agent identities: Red Agent, Blue Agent, Bystander, and Assassin. One of the teams will have nine of their-colored agents in the set of codenames, while the other team will have eight agents. The team with nine agents will take the starting turn in the game. Among the eight codenames not aligned with either team, there are seven Bystanders and one Assassin. Effects for contacting these agents are described in the following section.

Turn Flow
On a team's turn, their spymaster must start by providing their field operatives with a clue for the identities for their own agents. A clue consists of a single word and a number. The word should be related to the codenames that are aligned with the acting spymaster's team, while the number represents how many codenames are related to the clue word. Further guidelines, including two special number rules, follow in the section below. Spymasters should announce their clue in the thread using their team's color and in bold text, e.g. CLUE - <word>: <number> or CLUE - <word>: <number>.

Once a clue has been given, the field operatives are free to discuss which codename(s) should be contacted. All team discussion must be done in-thread. When the field operatives have decided on a guess, they may register their guess by announcing it in their team's color and in bold text, e.g. CONTACT - <word> or CONTACT - <word>. The host or either spymaster will quote the declaration and report its identity in bold (Red Agent, Blue Agent, Bystander, Assassin), revealing the card.

If the revealed agent is of the same team as the operatives, then they may continue making guesses. A maximum number of guesses may be made equal to the number given in the spymaster's clue, plus one. Alternatively, the field operatives may declare a PASS to end their turn, so long as they have made at least one guess already on their turn. If the revealed agent is not of the same team, then the turn ends. In the special case that the assassin was revealed, then the team that performed the reveal immediately loses the game.

To keep things moving at a good pace, team actions (spymaster clue, field operative guess) must be made within twenty-four hours (one day) of the previous action. An action consists of a single clue from the spymaster or a single guess from the operatives. If this time limit is exceeded, the opposing team has the option of starting their turn at their leisure.

Spymaster Clue Guidelines
Spymaster clues consist of a single word and a number, with the following guidelines:
  • Words must be related to the meaning of the codenames being clued.
  • The number following the word cannot be used as a clue itself.
  • All words must be within standard English usage.
  • Clues may not include codenames or related forms of codenames. For compound codenames, this includes the constituent words that comprise the compound word. Once a codename has been guessed, it can be used in clues.
Overall, be reasonable about rules; spymasters may consult with their opposing spymaster and the host for the validity of a clue. If an invalid clue is provided, then the turn immediately ends and the opposing spymaster may declare an agent of their own color before making their own clue.

Spymasters have two special options for numbers associated with their clue words. First, spymasters may declare zero (0) as their clue, suggesting that none of the codenames are related to their declared word. In the case that zero is declared, the field operatives do not have a limit to the number of guesses that they may make before passing. The second special option is to declare "unlimited" as their clue, suggesting at least one codename is related to the declared word. As with zero, the number of guesses that may be made by field operatives before passing is unlimited.

Game Links
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4
Game 5
Game 6
Game 7
Game 8
Game 9
Game 10

Player Signup List
Please note your interest in playing this game by posting a message indicating as such in bold limegreen. You'll be added to the signup list below and be in the running for selection when the next game is ready to go. People who have played the least or who have gone the longest without playing will get higher priority to play.

1. discrider
2. ...

4463rwiq7r47.png
MrBlarney on

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Game 1 Signups

Please note your interest in playing this game by posting a message indicating as such in bold limegreen. The first eight signups will be divided into two teams with randomly assigned spymasters. Any following players will be placed on a reserve list and will have priority for any further games. Game will start as soon as eight players have signed up and I am available to provide the opening grid.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I am interested in this.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I was finding it hard to think why this had such a huge buzz for such a simple sounding thing. Best way to find out is to play!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Let's try this too.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Sign me up.

Why would you ever declare unlimited? I'm struggling to see the use.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited September 2015
    Maybe when the code master thinks his team has enough information available to pick up all the tiles, but it's not strictly related to the word he's relaying?
    So you don't want to say 'insect 1' if that just shows them the last one correct tile but they have four to pick up and the previous clues reveal the remaining 3.

discrider on
    edited September 2015
    That makes sense. Given that the code master can listen in on his team mates deliberating he might know that they have deduced some.

So reveal the correct colour, keep it for a point and maybe carry on,
    Reveal a neutral, turn over,
    Reveal an assassin, game over,

What happens if you reveal the opposite team's colour? Do they get the point? If not, do they get to see what you revealed?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

That makes sense. Given that the code master can listen in on his team mates deliberating he might know that they have deduced some.

What happens if you reveal the opposite team's colour? Do they get the point? If not, do they get to see what you revealed?

Presumably once a pick is chosen theyre revealed. If the team is wrong the other team gets the point. Otherwise there would be no point in passing

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Also note that one team can potentially use the other teams clues to eliminate possibilities, so that's another reason for using zero/unlimited

Phyphor wrote: »

Presumably once a pick is chosen theyre revealed. If the team is wrong the other team gets the point. Otherwise there would be no point in passing

That is correct. All guesses are revealed to all, and if the opposite team's agent is guessed, not only does the turn end, but the opposing team does gain that point. Looks like we're at eight players, so I believe we're good to start.

Game 1 Start
    1. jakobagger
    2. Jam Warrior
    3. Kaneski
    4. discrider
    5. Preda
    6. Hedgethorn
    7. Phyphor
    8. Dex Dynamo

First four players are the red team, with the last four the blue team. The first and fifth players in the order will be the spymasters for their respective teams.

Geth roll 8p8 for Teams

Teams:
    8p8 40320 [8p8=7, 4, 6, 8, 5, 1, 3, 2]

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Blue! Blue! Blue! The bestest hue!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Red Team
    Phyphor (Spymaster)
    discrider
    Hedgethorn
    Dex Dynamo

Blue Team
    Preda (Spymaster)
    jakobagger
    Kaneski
    Jam Warrior

codenames_game01_t0.png~original
    PENGUIN
    CYCLE
    IRON
    KNIFE
    BALL

MOSCOW
    LASER
    POLE
    MISSILE
    DINOSAUR

JACK
    CHINA
    KNIGHT
    DICE
    TRACK

CALF
    MINE
    SHADOW
    SHOP
    COOK

CHICK
    GAS
    WAKE
    NAIL
    SCORPION

Red team starts. @Phyphor, you may provide the first clue when you are ready.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    When you play this for realz, does the spymaster get a written list of the words and their affiliation, or does he have to have mad memory skills?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    When you play this for realz, does the spymaster get a written list of the words and their affiliation, or does he have to have mad memory skills?

It's on a little card which also shows who plays first. You put it on a stand facing only the spymasters.

Also Reserve up for future games. I've played this in person but I really enjoy it.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Let's go with CLUE - cold: 3

@discrider @Hedgethorn @Dex Dynamo

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Well, it seems to me there are three obvious words that 'cold' could be a clue for: penguin (they live in the cold); Moscow (famous Russian winters and all that); and pole (North Pole / South Pole).

What do you think, discrider & Dex Dynamo?

Those were the ones i was leaning towards as well.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Reserve for possible future games

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Yeah sure, sounds good.
    Penguin
    Do we randomly stab at a fourth tile, or pass?
    I'm leaning towards passing.

I'm perfectly comfortable passing.

I'd say three guesses and then a pass. If we get these three, the odds would be against us getting a fourth right via random guess.

Hedgethorn wrote: »
    I'd say three guesses and then a pass. If we get these three, the odds would be against us getting a fourth right via random guess.

That sounds like cowardice that does. :P

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Reserve for future

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Kaneski wrote: »

What do you call a spy with bravery?

Disavowed.

Dex Dynamo wrote: »

What do you call a spy with bravery?

Disavowed.

Naaaaaah.... movies wouldn't lie to me like that....

As Aristotle teaches, courage isn't simply having confidence. It's having the appropriate amount of confidence in the appropriate circumstances. Being overly-confident isn't a sign of bravery; it's a sign of foolishness.

discrider wrote: »
    Penguin
    PENGUIN is a Red Agent!

Red operatives, you may make up to three more guesses.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Moscow

Moscow
    MOSCOW is a Red Agent!

Red operatives, you may make up to two more guesses.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Pole

Pole
    POLE is a Red Agent!

Red operatives, you may make up to one more guess.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Pass

edited September 2015
    codenames_game01_t1.png~original
    PENGUIN (Red)
    CYCLE
    IRON
    KNIFE
    BALL

MOSCOW (Red)
    LASER
    POLE (Red)
    MISSILE
    DINOSAUR

JACK
    CHINA
    KNIGHT
    DICE
    TRACK

CALF
    MINE
    SHADOW
    SHOP
    COOK

CHICK
    GAS
    WAKE
    NAIL
    SCORPION

Blue team's turn. @Preda is up to provide a clue for his team.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Just as a note, I will be travelling tomorrow and due to flight/jet lag may not be able to do anything until the 17th

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    CLUE - Wrecking: 2

@jakobagger @Kaneski @Jam Warrior