As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, September 1, 2015 - Cookin’ With Fred

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2015 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, September 1, 2015 - Cookin’ With Fred

Cookin’ With Fred

Cookin’ With Fred

http://campcomic.com/comic/242

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• JermsJerms Registered User regular
    I like to think you got half-way through writing that recipe and then thought "I better ramp up the crazy in case someone tries this for realz".

Because, yeah, the raw macaroni is the clincher. :D

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    "Fredcipes" 8-)

• mturner23462mturner23462 Registered User regular
    Oh, this was NOT good to read during breakfast. The Sardines got me.

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Haha lost pretty hard at "Place pot in direct sunlight". Many lols were had.

• trickcyclisttrickcyclist Registered User regular
    mmm, locally sourced and eco-prepared

• theGrognardtheGrognard Registered User regular
    According to Google imitation sardines exist as anchovies so yeah, this recipe is doable. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    I call shenanigans :D
    our schools don't teach cursive writing anymore, so this must be an alternate universe
    even then, Katie and Adam are mollycoddling the younger crowd by writing the 'r' and 's' and upper case 'F' in a quasi-printed font
    Truthfully, could you have read this sample of my penmanship? (I hope this worked)

pt9ql6pb6ffe.png

disturbing thought for the day: today's kids will be unable to read the original founding documents of our nation (US-centric viewpoint being expressed : my apologies to readers from other lands) or anything recorded before typewriters became commonplace.

@hajen haha
    I noticed that, too. I was taught cursive, though and it wasn't that long ago. Maybe Fred is just bad at those letters?

I could not write certain letters in cursive and my penmanship was and is terrible. My third grade teacher pointed that out a lot. I'd get straight As, but would never get the ribbon for it because of my cursive. And to top it off we never used cursive past that grade.

• Mr Fish 86Mr Fish 86 Registered User regular
    Forgot to add the wasps! Wasps make the best honey.

• ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Wait. When Americans say cursive, do they simply mean joined up writing? I always thought they were talking about proper calligraphy when it's mentioned in place like the Simpsons! But it's just joined up writing? What else would you write in? Surely it's harder to print than to write joined up? (Or takes longer, anyway.)

Showsni wrote: »
    Wait. When Americans say cursive, do they simply mean joined up writing? I always thought they were talking about proper calligraphy when it's mentioned in place like the Simpsons! But it's just joined up writing? What else would you write in? Surely it's harder to print than to write joined up? (Or takes longer, anyway.)

Yeah. What hajen posted is what we're taught (or I was at an American school). It is faster, but with computers everywhere it's no longer seen as necessary. I can't remember the last time I've used outside of signing my name.

• AstralMuffinAstralMuffin Registered User regular
    @HAJEN What do you mean USA schools don't teach cursive? D: The horror! It's so beautiful to write like that, and what you say about being unable to read it is true :S will they stop teaching how to write by hand at all in a couple of years? What an awful thought

• AddHomonymAddHomonym Registered User new member
    @Showsni

Canadian here. I'd never heard of "joined up writing", but it appears to be synonymous with "cursive": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursive

So I guess you could say that calligraphy may be cursive but not all cursive writing is calligraphy. I learned cursive in elementary school but had we only briefly covered calligraphy.

• Mr Fish 86Mr Fish 86 Registered User regular
    I only write in cursive. Been that way since I learned it. Outside of cursive, when I print I write in all capitol letters aside from the letters i and u. I'm not sure why I do that, but I just do. I have to force myself to write lowercase print if it's ever necessary. I guess what I'm saying is that if I write in all capitals aside from two letters when I print, then I'm okay with Fred writing in cursive aside from a few select letters. Everyone develops their own style of handwriting, so I find nothing wrong with his "Fredcipies"

• SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Makes me wonder where these kids are getting their water from. A well? The lake?

• elizinthemorningelizinthemorning Registered User new member
    edited September 2015
    Cursive isn't dead. Many schools (including the one I teach at) still teach it, though not as strictly as they used to. I've found that it makes kids get interested in taking care with their handwriting again at a time when they feel like they've mastered printing and so can get a bit sloppy with it.

But I also think it's okay if a school decides not to teach it, especially if they have limited time and choose to spend it on keyboarding instead. I'm also not especially disturbed by this:

"today's kids will be unable to read the original founding documents of our nation... or anything recorded before typewriters became commonplace" - @hajen

for several reasons: 1) There are already loads of important documents that the average person can't read in the original - the Magna Carta, for example - but it isn't actually important to read them in the original. Reading a translated and/or typed version of the text, or even just reading a summary/analysis of the text, is just fine for understanding the historical significance. Also, 2) I'm not sure it's actually true that not writing cursive means never learning to read it - after all, I can read this even though I never learned to write like this: https://languageartstudio.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/2010_08_17_0130_r11.jpg

elizinthemorning on
    Mr Fish 86 wrote: »
    Forgot to add the wasps! Wasps make the best honey.

The wasp honey gives it that certain je ne sais quoi.

• VisionAriVisionAri Registered User regular
    There's a difference between "inimitable" and "no one in their right mind is going to try this."

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    @elizinthemorning I agree with both your points and hoping not to come off seeming defensive, rather shed some light on what I was intending/thinking...

starting with pt.2: you are quite correct: the skill needed to read cursive text is not dependent on the writing skill; however, if one has the learned the skill to write cursive, then one can assume that the skill to read it was acquired simultaneously.
    as an example: I didn't learn to write Swedish, but I have grown pretty proficient at reading it due to the fact of assisting my mom in researching our Finnish farming ancestors.

which brings up pt.1: the examples you gave are great, but what if the source material one wants is not so culturally significant and someone hasn't done it yet? I'm kind of into genealogy (if you haven't picked up on that yet) and that usually means working with the source documents (i.e. not too many other Americans are that concerned with peasant farmers that lived in Finland while it was under Swedish rule). If you're lucky, another descendant (a long lost cousin, maybe) has already done the 'footwork' and transformed those documents into a searchable database that you can input a name and instantly pull up the relevant record; if not, you get to be the one to do it (and thus make it easier for later researchers to find it).
    as an example: if any of you are researching your roots using the 1940 US census, I helped to index it and let me say: Some census takers had very neat penmanship and some of them must have been unemployed doctors (slogging through those pages was mentally exhausting).

and back to the comic:
    where is the hue and cry about cruelty to cats?
    is the spritzing why the kitteh has been so elusive recently?

VisionAri wrote: »
    There's a difference between "inimitable" and "no one in their right mind is going to try this."

If someone foolishly tries this and doesn't die, they better upload video.

Actually, have a trusted friend or family member record it. That way we can watch it either way. :biggrin:

• FailureToTypeFailureToType Registered User new member
    The handwriting reminds me of my homeschool "Italic handwriting" course from timber-doodle. Rather than proper cursive; it is just a neat way of writing that is easy to read and write quickly. :)

• FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Geez, I don't think even Epic Meal Time would be brave/stupid enough to try this. ...Maybe?

• SargeSarge Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that this counts as "cooking"

• SynDuoSynDuo John A. Galvan Somewhere over a rainbowRegistered User regular
    Fred tries his best :)

SynDuo wrote: »
    Fred tries his best :)

Your animated drawing of Fred was cute!

• junctionjanjunctionjan Registered User new member
    it is my lifelong goal to make this. i will make it. i will eat it. and i will take many pictures as soon as i do.