As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE STEAM SALE CANNOT BE STOPPED. UPDATE: IT STOPPED.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The Flood stuff in Halo used to get me a little bit

Especially in 3 when Cortana got in on it

Also the Scarecrow stuff in Arkham Asylum

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Jars wrote: »
    you could probably say the same thing about alone in the dark

http://i.imgur.com/cGT4wgK.gif

I remember being terrified of this when I was just watching my brother play it. Fuck that rat/dog thing.

Brolo on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that gif is 20 megabytes

BahamutZERO.gif
    weird, that's supposed to be the fancy new gifv embed

doesn't seem to work now?

putting .gifv on the end of that URL does seem to make the forum embed it correctly

BahamutZERO.gif
    weird, thanks for the fix

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I wonder if I should change my avatar

To what?

That is the question

I too am tempted to change my avatar but to what since I used to have the espeon but they are all very tiny

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    The only game that had ever scared me was Terror From the Deep and to this day I would not play that fucking game with the lights off

Every aspect of it is horrifying

Even the retirement plan?
    When those things turn you into a zombie I would just send my worst troopers forward with a pistol and primed grenade so when they turned and dropped the gear
    BOOM
    Or a demo charge was far more of a retirement plan

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I've thought about switching to a new Gamera pic, but I feel like the flashy acrobatics in my current av are all I really have going for me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    So GTA 5 got a update today freemode events

These trigger while in freemode and the three I played where steal cars, fly through checkpoints, and who can get the longest stoppie. My brother beat me by .1m cause he is a jerk. You can opt out of the events through your phone or just not participate. When the events starts they seem to spawn the requisite stuff with a 5 minute period to prep for em.

Anyways GTA 5 online is a ton of fun still/now. Heists are finally in and they are pretty enjoyable. I did one last night and it had a pretty funny moment.

Every one has to get onto this aircraft carrier, steal some jets kill some jets and as you fly away everyones radio switches to Danger Zone after some AI speech. Its amazing.

icGJy2C.png
    I've thought about switching to a new Gamera pic, but I feel like the flashy acrobatics in my current av are all I really have going for me.

I am a big fan of that one

BahamutZERO.gif
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I played that Viking game on 360 and rather liked it.

It feels kind of low budget? Or unpolished I guess, but it was a pretty fun 10 hours or so. Exploring the islands is fun, and the big battles are a real good time. Also you get to call in dragon air strikes!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Operation Unceasing Smoke - Port Said, Egypt
    @Houk, @Iolo, @Snicketysnick, and @Sorce deploy into Egypt to deal with reported alien abductions.

And by 'deploy', I mean 'walk straight into a firefight with Thin Men the moment they leave the Skyranger'.

Sorce gets some shots off ...

2015-09-13_00013_zpsw2hfuah1.jpg

... as does Snicketysnick ...

2015-09-13_00016_zps30hih7bo.jpg

... and with Houk advancing and Iolo providing (mostly inaccurate) cover they do a good job of containing the threat.

Although the first wave is handled pretty smoothly, it gets rougher when the Thin Men get immediately replaced by Sectoids and Floaters before the team has a chance to regroup and reload.

2015-09-13_00022_zpsufrjjxzx.jpg

Sorce manages to bag a brace at his end by popping the mind-link; ...

2015-09-13_00031_zpsbxai0m8j.jpg

... unfortunately Snicketysnick is less lucky against the Floaters when Houk is caught busy reloading. Sorry, snick.

2015-09-13_00033_zpsese5m2bq.jpg

2015-09-13_00037_zpsesp9wugw.jpg

Houk gets revenge, which feels both satisfying and hollow at the same time.

2015-09-13_00038_zpspgvl2zu5.jpg

Iolo continues to fire warning shots/misses with his overwatch ...

2015-09-13_00045_zpsqglgtcc4.jpg

... repeatedly ...

2015-09-13_00048_zpsbgc4fdpg.jpg

... but manages to usually follow up with deadly force, so despite some close calls it's actually pretty straight forward from that point on.

Snicketysnick is an unfortunate loss, acquitting themselves well both in combat with the foe and managing to recover the only Meld of the mission, but was an unlucky victim of the strong enemy counter-offensive put up by the Extra-terrestrials. Still, given how strong that counter was, it certainly could have gone much worse and there were a few times there where it could have easily gone considerably worse for XCOM forces. At the end of the day, I'll take the result and consider myself lucky to get another trained Squaddie, some alien corpses, and $200 in bonus capital finances from the grateful leadership of Egypt.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    WITNESS ME!

Also Red Alert 2+Yuri's revenge is free on Origin for now, totally worth getting if you don't have them.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I tried to play the Resident Evil GameCube remake while I was literally in a cabin in the woods, which I was not...prepared for

WITNESS ME!

Also Red Alert 2+Yuri's revenge is free on Origin for now, totally worth getting if you don't have them.

Still would rather have the Command and Conquer collection for free

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Hooray! Still not dead!

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Some of the team behind Contradiction are talking on Twitter about sales slowing to a crawl

The initial Giant Bomb coverage helped a LOT but everyone and their dog playing through it on YouTube has effectively made purchasing the game unnecessary

I don't know if there's an easy fix to this and it sucks

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I don't necessarily know if you can blame slowing sales on that alone.

I think it's more likely that once people stopped talking about it, sales dropped because at that point how would you even find out about the game at all.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, when you take Steam sales or other huge exposure events out of the mix, sales always fall off pretty drastically after the first week/month.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Especially for a weird niche really linear narrative driven game like that

Sadly it was never gonna have long legs in this market

CYpGAPn.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I talked about it a bit in the Copyright thread in D&D, how this is a pretty good case where there are a lot of question marks about Let's Plays.

Sadly I also think that the game didn't sell enough in its initial run to get a "Daily" sale slot, which would up exposure. They can probably join the Fall or Winter sale (maybe the first at -33%, the second at -50%) but it won't ever be a hit.

I'm not going to fall into the trap of what games "deserve" to make, but Contradiction did give me a lot of background entertainment, and is a neat game in a genre where few games exist.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I am just strategically lulling the xenos into a false sense of security.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • TubeTube Registered User admin

These trigger while in freemode and the three I played where steal cars, fly through checkpoints, and who can get the longest stoppie. My brother beat me by .1m cause he is a jerk. You can opt out of the events through your phone or just not participate. When the events starts they seem to spawn the requisite stuff with a 5 minute period to prep for em.

Anyways GTA 5 online is a ton of fun still/now. Heists are finally in and they are pretty enjoyable. I did one last night and it had a pretty funny moment.

Every one has to get onto this aircraft carrier, steal some jets kill some jets and as you fly away everyones radio switches to Danger Zone after some AI speech. Its amazing.

I stopped trying with GTA because it takes about twenty minutes to get onto the game, if you're even that lucky. Maybe it's better now, but it was horrible during the original release and horrible when the PC version came out.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The market is so absolutely fucking clogged with a thousand things releasing every day that getting basically any attention for your game may as well be a miracle.

Developers always know if their game sold well. They almost never know why.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Just played a doubles game of Rocket League with someone named "AshKetchum916"

I wasn't sure but then he raged the whole time

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Just played a doubles game of Rocket League with someone named "AshKetchum916"

I wasn't sure but then he raged the whole time

I would have asked him "Pikachu mad bro?"

• tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    save scumming doesnt work

Undertale remembered my sins

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Tube wrote: »
    It's almost impossible to make a scary game unless the audience is willing to buy in, so I don't blame them for that.
    Yeah, I went pretty all-in and "roleplayed" through Amnesia. Hell, when I played through Doom 3 I did shit like crouch down next to dead people I found to "check their pulse"... :redface:
    I tried to play the Resident Evil GameCube remake while I was literally in a cabin in the woods, which I was not...prepared for
    In the ancient days, playing through Silent Hill 1 in an unlit and abandoned run-down house, that basically only had the electricity and a tv going for itself, was pretty great! Until the screeching and banging on the door began...
    10~15 drunk kids that needed somewhere to get wasted. I could resume playing after they'd all nodded off a couple hours later though.

Panda4You on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    It's almost impossible to make a scary game unless the audience is willing to buy in, so I don't blame them for that.
    Yeah, I went pretty all-in and "roleplayed" through Amnesia. Hell, when I played through Doom 3 I did shit like crouch down next to dead people I found to "check their pulse"... :redface:

Doom 3 got more annoying to me than anything: It got to the point I could predict where an enemy would spawn in behind me and walk past that point, then turn around and go back and watch him spawn in.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Man

I appreciate that they tried to change things up with Rome 2 but this UI is unintuitive as fuuuuck

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Doom 3 got more annoying to me than anything: It got to the point I could predict where an enemy would spawn in behind me and walk past that point, then turn around and go back and watch him spawn in.

I got it way back in the day when it first came out and played about half way through it. I just couldn't deal with the monster closets anymore.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I replayed Doom 3 a year ago. It got to the point where I went up some stairs, entered a room, went "I bet something is going to spawn behind me" turned around back to the top of the stairs in time to see an imp finish coming through the door below, slowly trudge up the stairs in a scripted sequence, and get blown away point blank by my shotgun.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    stukov was in hots? are you sure?

Did you play it?
    Yes he is. He shows up in the second half of the game. (Specifically on the mission to investigate a Terran science facility making hybrids) and he sticks around after that.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

I stopped trying with GTA because it takes about twenty minutes to get onto the game, if you're even that lucky. Maybe it's better now, but it was horrible during the original release and horrible when the PC version came out.

It still takes a year and a half to start online but once your in the load times are nonexsistent.

ATI finally has non shit drivers so the game runs without any hiccups or stupid artifacting now which ia nice.

Theres also a speed game which is hilrious a teams defending a truck that cant stop as the other team tries to ram em off the road.

However GTA V is best enjoyed with a group of people and if your just by your self then the online isnt anything special, probably awful even.

icGJy2C.png
    Unfortunately my old crew fragmenting during the next gen upgrade. I'm on PC, my other guys are on PS4.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    stukov was in hots? are you sure?

Did you play it?
    Yes he is. He shows up in the second half of the game. (Specifically on the mission to investigate a Terran science facility making hybrids) and he sticks around after that.
    I think Jars was making a Heroes of the Storm joke

Tamin on
This discussion has been closed.