As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dishonored 2 | Choke a bro | Billie Lurk Standalone DLC Coming Sept 15

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna decorate your body

Are you the magic man?
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Hm.

I dislike that they retconned the narrative just to provide a sequel with familiar names. The game's set-up was flexible enough that they could've had the Outsider pick someone else to attach strings to for an entirely new story.

Another Dishonered game is more than welcome, though. I haven't played anything like it before or since, and I think every game that wants to do high action first-person games needs to take a look at it.

With Love and Courage
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    inb4 Dishonored 3: Corvo is slapped by a nobleman in front of hundreds of people at the Empress's ball. He once again dons the mask seeking revenge for his humiliation.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I'm a lil bummed that they seem to be just continuing the story and characters from the Dishonored 1 since the first game felt like a nice isolated adventure complete with endings that seemed to close the book on these people's lives (hate it when sequels go back on that).

Would have preferred to have seen them focus on an entirely different set of characters and country and go from there rather than bringing Emily and Corvo back.

But it'll be a great game like the first so eh, I'll live with it.

I wont lie when i started watching I thought it was a new place with a new person.
    I was both vaguely disappointed and interested that it was Emily.
    It's a weird feeling.

This.
    I feel Emily as the protag is a cheap hook.

Tangentially, Dishonored scratches an itch for me.
    I used to play shittons of Spy in TF2. There's something about abusing above-about angles I find compelling.
    I abused a lot of above-about angles in TF2.

There's a little quote in Dune about the universe being filled with backdoors. Sitting with your back away from it is of no prevailing use to anybody of cunning.

Twenty Sided on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I don't think that it is cheap.
    I think I am holding two completely contradictory feelings at the same time.
    On one hand I am very interested in seeing more about this girl that you influenced in the first game. I will play her story first.
    On the other hand I want to see more of the world beyond this one empire.

They aren't cancelling each other out or anything like that.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Being able to play Emily sounds rad as fuck. Especially since from what I've heard she's more of a "witch" claracter with demonic tentacle summons and crap instead of Corvo's, more straightforward, assassin-with-some-magic-enhancements? I have great hopes for the story complementing the game in a satisfyingly mysterious fashion too!

Panda4You on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Hm.

I dislike that they retconned the narrative just to provide a sequel with familiar names. The game's set-up was flexible enough that they could've had the Outsider pick someone else to attach strings to for an entirely new story.

Another Dishonered game is more than welcome, though. I haven't played anything like it before or since, and I think every game that wants to do high action first-person games needs to take a look at it.

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but how do you think they are retconning the narrative?

I say that it strikes me as cheap since I regard Emily as a recognized trademark being put in the place of protagonist to ride off the audience's familiarity and affection for the first game.

Diablo 3 did a lot of similar things and that left me immensely irritated, although this isn't quite that extreme. (Butcher is an iconic video game boss, right? Well here he is. Can you feel the nostalgia yet? Hey here's Deckard Cain. And Adria. Adria betrays you. What a tweest.)

I prefer narrative completeness. I sort of pictured they'd pick up the story in a new era with the Outsider playing patron to a new Masked Man, rather than over-embroidering the story of the Kaldwin-Attano dynasty. I'd much rather learn about Emily in passing hints in the lore than play her story.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I think being able to play as Emily is great. I was pretty excited when that was revealed.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I prefer a good story. I have no preconceptions about what shape that story should be. If it's a good story, if she's a good character, she's earned her place in the story and I'm happy. If she's put there as a cynical cash in this will become apparent when I experience the story.
    Deciding before I actually experience the story is useless: I haven't seen it yet. I have no idea what it will be like. Instead, what will happen is my preconceptions will shape my experience, twisting my interpretations to match my preexisting beliefs.

I try to deliberately go into any new story without prior expectations. It doesn't mean I always get better stories, but it does mean I'm more likely to see the good stories I would otherwise have ruined for myself preemptively.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I say that it strikes me as cheap since I regard Emily as a recognized trademark being put in the place of protagonist to ride off the audience's familiarity and affection for the first game.

Diablo 3 did a lot of similar things and that left me immensely irritated, although this isn't quite that extreme. (Butcher is an iconic video game boss, right? Well here he is. Can you feel the nostalgia yet? Hey here's Deckard Cain. And Adria. Adria betrays you. What a tweest.)

I prefer narrative completeness. I sort of pictured they'd pick up the story in a new era with the Outsider playing patron to a new Masked Man, rather than over-embroidering the story of the Kaldwin-Attano dynasty. I'd much rather learn about Emily in passing hints in the lore than play her story.

I can totally see where you are coming from. However, I've kinda been hoping/expecting/wishing that Emily would be the new PC for Dishonored 2 since the credits started rolling.

...and I think it totally makes since, even from the angle of why the Outsider would care enough to give Emily any powers of her own. I mean, given this perfect opportunity, I'm sure he's curious to see if
    the daughter is anything like the father

steam_sig.png
    It also makes sense for Emily to have those skills. Throughout the first game, she was trying to emulate Corvo.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    If anything I'm sad Corvo is playable.

It also makes sense for Emily to have those skills. Throughout the first game, she was trying to emulate Corvo.
    Eh? Was this some dlc thing?
    You don't see Emily apart for the intro cinematic and maybe a few seconds in some ending sequence. She was a McGuffin you chased throughout the entire game.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    You don't see Emily apart for the intro cinematic and maybe a few seconds in some ending sequence. She was a McGuffin you chased throughout the entire game.

She's safe and sound inside your home base for quite a bit of the game. She even draws you heart-melting crayon pictures.
    44DD04470B4EE9205F1FA1B609101BFA0488C7A9

She talks about how she'd rather learn to use a sword than whatever it is Callista's teaching her.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    And when you do see her, she's clearly influenced by how you've been acting.
    She's either sweet and happy and wants to rule wisely, or 'I'm Empress and you're going to kill all the people who have a problem with it.'

Is Emily really a recognisable draw for old players? If they were just going to try to appeal to players of the last game, wouldn't they focus on Corvo instead?
    I feel like if you're that familiar with Emily to recognise her in the trailer, you're a big enough fan of the series to have already decided that you're interested.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    For me at least it's a draw to have the option of a female playable character - even if it would've been a bigger draw to be able to play Billie Lurk. An adult Emily, to all extents and purposes, is a new character as far as I'm concerned.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    She talks about how she'd rather learn to use a sword than whatever it is Callista's teaching her.

She also can choke out guards, unless people have been lying to me.

Not on screen, mind, but still.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

What? Did you just run off to the quests right away? This has all been very traumatic for a young girl like her. The least you could have done was take a few moments to visit her so she can see a familiar face. You silly goose, how could be so heartless and cruel. You're the one she cries out to for help.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    I'm okay with two playable characters if they're distinct enough. Gives a game replay value.
    so I'm not disappointed that there is a "corvo" story. Cos Emily clearly has her own narrative. If you did the same story no matter what it'd be a problem but they've said you have to choose at one point and then you play the rest of the game as that character.

That sounds great to me! She gets her thing, he gets his thing, everybody gets everything. Yay!

Also, everyone has to play as Emily for the first 20-30 minutes. Only after that do you get to choose between the two. That's pretty cool and not at all what most other developers would do.

Yeah that is pretty cool. Normally it'd be corvo and then "Oh yeah and you can play this girl if you want."
    The reverse is much appreciated.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I see this meshing with the Emily the wise ending due to the coup having the possibility of being the first major challenge to her power. It also makes sense with the Outsider's taunt that she really didn't "deserve" power as it was handed to her by way of her parents and
    Daude.

Michael Madsen did great.

klemming wrote: »
    And when you do see her, she's clearly influenced by how you've been acting.
    She's either sweet and happy and wants to rule wisely, or 'I'm Empress and you're going to kill all the people who have a problem with it.'

Is Emily really a recognisable draw for old players? If they were just going to try to appeal to players of the last game, wouldn't they focus on Corvo instead?
    I feel like if you're that familiar with Emily to recognise her in the trailer, you're a big enough fan of the series to have already decided that you're interested.
    Aw shit, don't remember that at all. Really was a while since I played.
    But that's a rad detail! :3

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I mean, you actually rescue her fairly early in the game and then can interact with her every time you return from then on out, as well as see how she interacts with the others there, read her journals, see her drawings, etc. Her being there is a pretty integral part of the story so it's more than just a small detail or whatever.

Are you the magic man?
    edited August 2015
    klemming wrote: »

I'd argue, yes. Partly because the father-daughter hook is becoming more common as gamers become dads themselves. And I expect that struck a cord with a lot of people.
    But besides that, she's an integral part of Corvo's motivation. She is his daughter after all, in every sense of the word.

Twenty Sided on
    edited August 2015
    I see this meshing with the Emily the wise ending due to the coup having the possibility of being the first major challenge to her power. It also makes sense with the Outsider's taunt that she really didn't "deserve" power as it was handed to her by way of her parents and
    Daude.

Michael Madsen did great.

For some reason I started doing a Prince of Persia mash-up in my head, with Emily being the brash princess stealing a magic dagger that is fueled by magic time sand.
    Like you could miss a jump into a pit of spikes but be like. Rewind.
    Then everything slowly reverses in greyscale with distorted wooshy sound effects.

Then she's chased around by some Void Time beast that is there to slay her for being so impertinent as to meddle in powers beyond mortal ken.

Twenty Sided on
    edited August 2015
    That idea made me imagine this one: When you die, there's Arkham style death screens that just have the Outsider laughing his ass off at you.

Morninglord on
    new city! damn good idea

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I might have pre-ordered the collector's edition for a silly mask.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I said this on Steam, but when I gave up 30 minutes in, this was what compelled me to press on:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo4JH96KcgQ

Once you get past that dull beginning, its so very much worth it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I hope they give you some more tools to organically deal with getting caught for non-violent players. I am done with quick saving my way though stealth games.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    There's that hypnosis-stand, and the time-jump might work as an escape-route. Would be neat if the whippy thing could gently move people out of the way, but doesn't look like it.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I hope they give you some more tools to organically deal with getting caught for non-violent players. I am done with quick saving my way though stealth games.

Meh, I got by with the instantly acting tranquilizer bolts.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I got by with yakety sax.