As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Peeked Behind the Cyclops' Eye! I Did! And [Halloween] Was There!

Lost SalientLost Salient blink twiceif you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
edited September 2015 in Social Entropy++
tXKErWs.jpg

It's already September 17th, and you should have had plenty of time by now to decide what you're going as for this mightiest of ALL holidays!

For real though. Christmas is great. I love presents. As proof, my birthday is a week-long bonanza of partying in honor of me. Easter has holiday-specific candy, and that can't be a bad thing. Here in America we set things on fire with great relish on the Fourth of July and on New Year's Eve, and hazard to life and limb is an incredibly important element in any good revelry.

HOWEVER.

Halloween is everything.

rB7u4XTl.jpg

It's scary. It's fun. It's a party for all ages! Little kids get to wander around super sugared-up, screaming, stealing candy from adults, cheating their younger siblings out of the good stuff. For adults it's got booze, it's got candy that as an adult you buy pretending it's for kids and then consume yourself, it's got condoned skanky inappropriate dress and behavior...

It's essentially flawless.

Plus, there's ghosts.

qTyrHCQl.jpg

I'm not starting any countdown yet obviously as it is not yet October but it has come to my attention that some individuals (myself included) may want a place to discuss the elaborate lengths to which they intend to go in order to decorate themselves and their homes at this all-hallowed-est of seasons.

So.

Y'know.

HALLOWEEN!

RUVCwyu.jpg
"Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
Lost Salient on

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I welcome Halloween. We tend to do a lot of pro bono work on that night and the following day. Good advertising. Tends to bring continuing business throughout the rest of the year.

Lotta prank calls though. You'd be surprised how quickly kids stop pretending to be a real ghost once a proton pack switches on.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    @Lost Salient you're the best.

Starting my costume tomorrow night and I am so hyped! I'm really good at building props, rigging them up with lights and painting and weathering them to look real. I have two friends on assignment to sew me things because I do not have the patience for that kind of activity. So I mess with the worbla and PVC and LEDs and such while they handle the stitching, with the end result being that we'll all look boss as hell.

My favourite part is definitely getting asked to make a specific prop or item and then having to design it! Hangin' out with a whiteboard figuring out how things go together is just the most fun thing, man oh man.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The Halloween thread comes earlier every year

VRXwDW7.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    acf9abc4f7dd56c18e2a7b3cdb2f6b0e.jpg

My halloween

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Daughter is going as a witch, so I got a wizzard costume. Been doing matching-ish costumes every year though the first was my favorite so far.

She was a lion and I was a big game hunter, complete with khakis, wide hat, and a padded gun case (with a dowel to keep it ridged).

Last year I cobbled together a Mouse King outfit and she was Minnie Mouse. Year before I did scare some trick-or-treaters when I sat on our rocker out front and pretended to be a dummy dressed as a scarecrow.

Will try to get wife to wear a cat costume to be our familiar.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I like Halloween. It's my favorite holiday. Autumn is my favorite season. October my favorite month.

HOWEVER

I will make the same complaint I make every Halloween, which is:

When the fuck did Halloween become a "dress up as whatever-the-fuck" holiday instead of a "dress up as something spooky" holiday.

This is not comic-con. Don't be a goddamn Storm Trooper for Halloween.

RT800 on
    RT800 wrote: »
    I like Halloween. It's my favorite holiday. Autumn is my favorite season. October my favorite month.

HOWEVER

I will make the same complaint I make every Halloween, which is:

When the fuck did Halloween become a "dress up as whatever-the-fuck" holiday instead of a "dress up as something spooky" holiday.

This is not comic-con. Don't be a goddamn Storm Trooper for Halloween.

Apparently at least since 1894, unless you consider bacon terrifying.

I'd also like to point out that the guy wearing the rooster costume in this compilation is fantastic.

Steam
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Honestly although the early forms of Halloween were a far cry from today, very old traditions like mumming weren't necessarily intended to be spooky, I don't believe - just disguises to confuse the spirits and creatures who could travel between worlds at that time.

Not that some of them weren't intended to be scary but I don't think there was ever really a time when Halloween and the costuming associated with it were only about being frightening.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'm going to get a costume this year, when I don't have an office to dress up to go to.

edited September 2015
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm going to get a costume this year, when I don't have an office to dress up to go to.

Dress up and come get drunk with me! We'll go dancing and have bourbon and it'll be great!

You can be the Gamora to my Star Lady.

Cello on
    Steam
    That actually sounds rad

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Any recommendations on a costume for a tour guide

for any of the crazies that would take a double decker tour on Halloween

VRXwDW7.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i for one welcome our early halloween overlords

LS halloween threads are always da bes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc85dsdZ_qs

uc3ufTB.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Death or Charon is the obvious choice.

Maybe old-timey guy(?) and have the bus stop at a random spot, " And here's where I died. Terrible really, so many rats... " etc. New story every time.

That actually sounds rad

Let me know if you wanna join! A few of my nerdier friends wanted to check out a Heroes and Villains night downtown (not sure if it's Friday or Saturday this year). I also know about a few smaller parties that are probably happening. You're welcome to come with!

Steam
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    ^ that was my costume last year btw

no idea what i'm doing for this halloween

uc3ufTB.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Halloween thread I don't know what I'm going to be for Halloween yet and it is causing me a great deal of distress

Here's my ideas:

Lucifer

zL8SRL2.jpg

Specifically that Lucifer. Nice suit, collapsible wings, blond hair. In increasing order of difficulty for me to acquire.

The Stag

tfpHJ85.jpg

From TV's Hannibal. Also requires a suit, and for me to make that terrifying rig to attach to my head. And a lot of black makeup, which tends to fucking blow.

Wendigo

No image for this one - going traditional here. I haven't fully figured out what I'd want to be doing, but it's probably the goriest of my options - chewed off lips, frostbitten extremities, and so on. The biggest obstacle is that my ideal version would probably involve stilts, and I do not own any stilts.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    s35j1kylhi0i.jpg

?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    My wife and I are going to a Halloween ball here in Salem, so we're trying to think of scary couples' costumes.

edit: The theme is "A Night to Dismember"

JoeUser on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gonna actually have a Costume this year as my ladyfriend is throwing me a birthday/Halloween party

CYpGAPn.png
    JoeUser wrote: »
    My wife and I are going to a Halloween ball here in Salem, so we're trying to think of scary couples' costumes.

edit: The theme is "A Night to Dismember"

Swap body parts?
    Like have your left arm in a woman's shirt with nail polish and left leg in stockings and high heels. Wife would have the same on opposite leg/arm, then her left side dressed as a man.

Depending on the party, could you stage a fight and cut off someone's (fake) arm?

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Gonna combine Tobias from Arrested Development and Peter Pan and go as a boy from Never(nude) Land

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My other Halloween plan, decorating my apartment, is a little bit more definite at this point

Last year we did a pretty stellar smoke and mirrors cult meeting, complete with the Seven Deadly Dips when we had people over

This year we're going medical - specifically asylums and hospitals

Our time period isn't super set in stone - generally beginning of the 20th century, but there will probably be some anachronistic things that pop up if they look really cool

The dining room is on track to be turned into an operating theater, and the living room will be a more comfortable doctor's office style setting

We're currently working on the best way to pad the walls of the bathroom (I'm thinking I can rustle up some cheap mattress pads) and otherwise sterilize our decidedly non-sterile apartment

We're not doing any like, traditional horror stuff alongside it (so no bloody handprints of escaped patients or anything like that), but rather focusing on the truly terrifying history of medical and mental health

I'm pretty exciting, although I can tell already this is going to be a harder punch in the wallet than last year

Which probably means I should buy jump stilts to be a wendigo

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Ah October, our busiest time of the year! :D

Cello wrote: »
    That actually sounds rad

Let me know if you wanna join! A few of my nerdier friends wanted to check out a Heroes and Villains night downtown (not sure if it's Friday or Saturday this year). I also know about a few smaller parties that are probably happening. You're welcome to come with!

Yes

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There's a guy on my street who rigs his house with motion-sensor strobe lights and smoke machines, and when kids approach his front door they kick on and he runs out from behind the bushes with a hockey mask and fake chainsaw that makes sounds.

It's fantastic. I just sit in a lawn chair up the street handing out candy so I can watch them freak the hell out when they get to that house.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Last year I bought two bags of candy to prep for trick or treaters. No one came to the door so I brought both bags to work and let the teachers consume it all. This year I will buy no bags.

I'm not sure about Gamora (that is a quite skintight outfit) but I shall find something!

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I don't currently have any Halloween plans, but if I do end up getting invited somewhere, I'll probably grab a black wig and green shirt and do a half-assed Tommy Oliver.

I kind of want to get some people together and do a Halloween themed game of DnD, though. I'm thinking about putting together a dungeon crawl that takes place in Castlevania.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Doooooooooook

• MariisunMariisun In the plains of NefirRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking I might do a movie night but I need to come up with a good list of horror movies to watch or halloweeny movies. The only requirement is I can't really sit through snuff films or organs galore so it's going to be an interesting goal to come up with a list of movies.
    I'm actually already preparing cool and inexpensive halloween decorations and scary snacks. The last thing I need to figure out is a costume.

I watched it for the first time the other week with Vivienne and a friend.

Vivienne gets so mad when I croak out babadook.

• MariisunMariisun In the plains of NefirRegistered User regular
    That movie gave me nightmares for days. That sound just reminds me of roaches...

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I'm going as It, from It Follows.

It can look like anyone.

(selective invisibility will be slightly more difficult.)

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Halloween themed D&D sounds like so much fun. I always liked using classic monsters in my world, anyway. Lots of skeletons, flesh golems, and werewolves. I used things like orcs too, but I typically went in for the nightmarish monsters, like mindlfayers. Hmmmm, maybe I could get my daughter to play a short game.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Mariisun wrote: »
    I'm thinking I might do a movie night but I need to come up with a good list of horror movies to watch or halloweeny movies. The only requirement is I can't really sit through snuff films or organs galore so it's going to be an interesting goal to come up with a list of movies.
    I'm actually already preparing cool and inexpensive halloween decorations and scary snacks. The last thing I need to figure out is a costume.

If you want to be lazy/efficient, check out Patrick Klepeck's lists on Giant Bomb.

He also tumblrs them: http://patrickklepek.tumblr.com/post/98896055314/welcome-to-shocktober-2014

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    happy halloweeeeeeen

czzDVNZ.gif

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Aw yiss Halloween time. Me and my boyfriend are still thinkin on getting married on Halloween in fact! We're gonna have our mega-stoner punk rock buddy officiate since he got ordained for a friend's wedding.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    put the wedding rings on severed fingers

the cake is a giant bedsheet ghost made out of fondant