As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shovel Knight] Strike the Earth!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I'm really, really glad to see this going so well for the Yacht Club guys / gals.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Plague of Shadows is out.

Plague Knight is awesome. This is great.

He has a double jump and a big double jump centered around charging attack and letting go.

Makes getting around tricky and feels totally different than Shovel Knight.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Plague of Shadows is out.

Plague Knight is awesome. This is great.

He has a double jump and a big double jump centered around charging attack and letting go.

Makes getting around tricky and feels totally different than Shovel Knight.

With the right timing you can chain multiple bomb jumps in one jump. My max so far (on level terrain) is two bomb jumps before touching the ground.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Playing as Plague Knight is really great. I'm still trying to get the hang of flying through the air with accuracy.

Oh my god. Plague Knight is so much more fun than Shovel Knight. All of his various bomb parts are so great. I can't get enough of this.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Seeker fuse is a LIE. I thought it would be weaker and fly towards enemies.
    Otherwise I really like how radically different Plague knight is his weird undercity is neat too.

When do I get to sell the relics?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Sentry Fuse is a proximity bomb, basically.

You can sell the relics:
    To Chester. He's hiding out in the same places he runs into Shovel Knight.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I haven't played the Plague Knight stuff yet, but I just got an email that the soundtrack is now available over at Bandcamp.

edited September 2015
    Which other Knight are we eventually going to be able to play as? There was one more right?

NVM Google. Specter Knight. Fuck yes.

Viskod on
    Which other Knight are we eventually going to be able to play as? There was one more right?

NVM Google. Specter Knight. Fuck yes.

Two more, actually. Add King Knight to that list.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Would've preferred Tinker Knight to King Knight but oh well

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm realllly excited for Specter Knight. I didn't get a chance to check out the Plague Knight expansion yet, but it sounds awesome.

So, the cheat codes still work for Plague Knight.

The "unlock everything and also attack at super speed" one makes you look hilarious when attacking.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    For some reason this didn't auto unlock for me despite having a save file with the game cleared. Had to use the cheat code.

Super fun tho! It reminds me a lot of Mega Man where you switch up your attack to hit enemies at different angles.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Plague Knight is pretty crazy versatile and he can really bring the pain when he gets a chance to unload. I leeched myself to full health from one orb against a boss last night when I got a chance.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Plague of Shadows is so much fun, it adds so much variety to the gameplay it's shocking! And the story is a little more entertaining than the original campaign to boot.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    Plague of Shadows is so much fun, it adds so much variety to the gameplay it's shocking! And the story is a little more entertaining than the original campaign to boot.

No shit? I loved the original so I'm looking forward to getting a chance to play this then

JtgVX0H.png
    I would say the story is MUCH more entertaining. Because the Town for Plague Knight isn't so much of a Town as it is a secret base of operations for whatever he's plotting.

Every time you beat a boss and go back there to turn in your spoils there's a cutscene with Mona for each one. It really feels like there's an actual plot there that's moved forward and Mona and Plague Knights little conversations are fun.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Are there any guides or tips for playing Plague Knight. I appreciate how completely different he plays to Shovel, it would be rather boring if he was just a copy. But god damn. The trailers made me nervous on how erratically he seemed to control. And indeed, I feel at times like I'm steering an out of control bucking bronco. My buttcheeks clench every time I have to jump over a pit.

It's not bad, just wholly different. And quite a learning curve.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Should I not be giving Music sheets to that Poet dude?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Should I not be giving Music sheets to that Poet dude?

I can't tell. The impression I'm getting is if it's a new Plague Knight song you will unlock it. But there are also weird "old Shovel Knight songs" you can collect (maybe cuz the area isn't blocked off and they wanted to leave it in the same place as the base game?) and those only give you money. I don't know, it's confusing.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    You should be, the thing behind him that eats the crumpled papers he throws away is actually the dude that plays your music.

Are there any guides or tips for playing Plague Knight. I appreciate how completely different he plays to Shovel, it would be rather boring if he was just a copy. But god damn. The trailers made me nervous on how erratically he seemed to control. And indeed, I feel at times like I'm steering an out of control bucking bronco. My buttcheeks clench every time I have to jump over a pit.

One of the first things you need to buy when you turn in your first batch of Cipher Coins is the Burst mod that lets you slowly float down from each one.

Burst Jumps instantly change from stressful panicking rocket jumps to you hope somewhere safe to rocket jumps that give you bonkers altitude while you casually float to where ever you want to go.

I've unlocked three different bursts after this one, and I see no reason to change from it thus far.

You should be, the thing behind him that eats the crumpled papers he throws away is actually the dude that plays your music.

But he doesn't always throw it, which is the confusing part. Like, I have given him pages and went to look and unlocked no new songs.

I don't think its 1 song per page. I think you have to turn in x number of pages for a new song to be available.

I think he only plays new songs added for Plague of Shadows (and Flowers of Antimony, because of course he would).

Any of the old music sheets are just for money, presumably because you can just boot up a Shovel Knight file if you want to listen to that.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

One good tip (that your minions actually give you) is to keep your second jump for after the burst jump to give yourself some more control.

Plus as Viskod said the float burst jump is super nice too. And eventually you can get some arcana that add to your traversal capability.
    You can unlock a shoryuken that gives you some extra height and the ability to create a temporary platform underneath you. As far as I've gotten anyway.

Edit:

Haha... Hold down while standing near Mona everyone.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I used the floating burst pretty much 90% of the game, just beat the last boss

Tairu on
    Beat the last boss myself. That was a great ending, and I love how 97% of the story slots into Shovel Knight's campaign.

I personally used almost every burst but the float for a majority of the game. I just got used to being able to charge a second burst in mid-air. (Jump --> Burst --> Throw+hold --> Jump -->Burst) Doing that let me cover some serious ground in a single jump. That's just my style, of course. My favored burst was the Screw Attack-looking one.

I also very much liked the Cluster powder. So much damage.

I'd say the Leech Liquid is possibly even more stupidly powerful than the Phase Locket. Provided you can hit your foe, of course.

Anyway, this story was great fun. Gonna go after the full Coin collection and see what that gets.

OMG.

I'm missing two Cipher Coins in the Flying Machine, and Chester and I know they're past these two fans that blow me up above the doorway and I do not know how to fucking get into it.

OMG.

I'm missing two Cipher Coins in the Flying Machine, and Chester and I know they're past these two fans that blow me up above the doorway and I do not know how to fucking get into it.

You need more downward momentum.
    Which you can get by jumping down from the next screen up

I found out the Vat works to.

Game beaten, all Cipher Coins found. The bonus you get for that, is insane.

Do you get some sort of ability that lets you sniff out the coins? Because when I go through a level twice with a fine toothed comb and still come up short is the point where I go "fuck it" and look it up, but there aren't any guides out there yet.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    You get armor that constantly randomizes your bomb parts.

Which sounds like a pain, but it also takes away the limit on them.

So you can have situations where you get to spam cluster sentry bombs.

That tears shit up fast

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Whew! Just finished off Plague of Shadows.

Oh my god it was so great hot damn how do they keep doing this!?

Plague Knight's story, play-style and charm is just a treat. Loved every second.

Ugh. Still missing 3 coins in Tower of Fate: Entrance, and I swear I've gone over that place with a fine-toothed comb and blown up every block.

Enlong wrote: »
    Ugh. Still missing 3 coins in Tower of Fate: Entrance, and I swear I've gone over that place with a fine-toothed comb and blown up every block.

You'll probably kick yourself and curse the developers at the same time.
    Go left at the start.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    One of the first things you need to buy when you turn in your first batch of Cipher Coins is the Burst mod that lets you slowly float down from each one.

Burst Jumps instantly change from stressful panicking rocket jumps to you hope somewhere safe to rocket jumps that give you bonkers altitude while you casually float to where ever you want to go.

I've unlocked three different bursts after this one, and I see no reason to change from it thus far.

I switch to different bursts for boss fights. Usually the one with the big pink blast.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Quick Plague of Shadows question.
    At Pridemoor Keep, how do you get to Chester? The only way I could see is through the Shovel Knight opening, which Plague can't use.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Quick Plague of Shadows question.
    At Pridemoor Keep, how do you get to Chester? The only way I could see is through the Shovel Knight opening, which Plague can't use.
    Are you sure about that? Have you tried it?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch