As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who's got two thumbs and no job? This guy!

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
Well, I got laid off today.

It isn't incredibly shocking as our team had was getting smaller as work got sent overseas. Still, now a few hours removed, in starting to freak out.

This is the first time it's ever happened to me and this was my first "adult" job, I was with them for six years.

Luckily I'm still on payroll till Nov 1, and then I'll get some sort of severance package.

So what tips do people have? How do I not go crazy?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What was your job?

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I was with JPMorgan in mortgage/foreclosure.

Was kind of an attorney liason, making sure foreclosures were occurring timely.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Apply with other offices doing the same thing. I bet there are a decent amount of public and private companies needing legal-knowledgeable coordinators within housing finance.

Specifically you may want to look within your local Department of Housing and Urban Development for foreclosure relief offices. Pay will likely be lower than private but usually it comes with top of the line insurance.

Enc on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Take a week off to do nothing - two if finances allow. Then you basically need to make looking for a job your job until you get one. That means get up in the morning, get dressed and start working on the resume and getting it out there.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Then you basically need to make looking for a job your job until you get one. That means get up in the morning, get dressed and start working on the resume and getting it out there.

That will be the hardest part. When I've been off work in the past it was extremely hard to get up the motivation to treat the job hunt like a job and in truth I wasn't able to work like that. In both instances I got a new job because of the people I knew, either personally or from an old job. So my advice would be to mine your contacts to see if they know of anyone hiring and just generally put it out there that you are looking for work. There might be someone out there who is well connected and knows of good leads for you.

steam_sig.png
  • ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    The posts above are all good advice; set a schedule and treat applying like a job, get in touch with any contacts you know that might be able to get you a position, etc.
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Well, I got laid off today.

Luckily I'm still on payroll till Nov 1, and then I'll get some sort of severance package.
    I'd actually suggest applying to as much as you can now. It's been my experience that I get way more offers and interviews when I check the 'currently employed' box than I did when I was unemployed.

Satan's advice is good too: do take some time off between jobs, even if you get an offer right away . Most places will allow you at least a few weeks before your first day, just ask.

If you do end up without an offer at a new place, gather up all your paperwork from the old job and file for unemployment. You are getting "laid off" (downsized?) so you should qualify. Termination letter and as many previous pay stubs as you can find. Sometimes there are reasons not to file, depending on your individual situation.

Maybe also see if you can grab some letters of recommendation before everyone scatters to the winds? Their contact info too.
    So what tips do people have? How do I not go crazy?
    If you're looking at major time between jobs: Keep a schedule, get into a hobby, look into volunteering (major bonus if it's related to your job). Oh, and always be applying for jobs.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear that Kyougu, I know how much it sucks to suddenly find out you need to go job hunting. It's not a fun feeling to wake up too.

All the other advice I had to offer has already been said, but I'll add this:
    Start the application for unemployment sooner rather than later. It can take a while to get through the process and get approved and and for payments to actually start showing up.
    So holding off to figure out if you'll really need it or not can leave you hurting financially between "Yeah, I do need it" and "Okay, I'm just got money deposited".
    Conversely, cancelling the unemployment is really quick and easy, so if you do get a new job quickly (like while you're still on the current employers payroll) it's easy to shut it down.

Best of luck in the job hunt.

• NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Honestly, your best bet might be checking out other financial institutions. I know Bank of America is expanding their mortgage operations especially in their operational risk area. If you need help looking at internal / external post's uhh, let me know.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I'm going to second all of the above advice but also add that if it is just a layoff from the team being moved, you could also look for other opportunities in the same company (I have seen quite a few postings from JPMorgan in my own search, although my field is different).

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Where are you based? There's one or two mortgage subservicers by me that were looking for people with foreclosure experience, last I saw.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I think you're somewhere near DFW? If you have experience in the financial world, DFW plays home to many vehicle finance companies like Nissan, Santander, Toyota (or they'll be here soon), Mercedes (I think they're still around here), and a few others that don't immediately jump to mind.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Oh. Yea, Chicago is probably out of the question at that point.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I think you're somewhere near DFW? If you have experience in the financial world, DFW plays home to many vehicle finance companies like Nissan, Santander, Toyota (or they'll be here soon), Mercedes (I think they're still around here), and a few others that don't immediately jump to mind.

Yeah, Plano is getting a bunch too. I know of some big insurance ops going into Plano soon, as well as aforementioned Toyota and another big firm.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll definately be following it.

Luckily I built up tons of social capital running a meetup, so I had plenty of friends being supportive and sending me links for applying at their respective places. It'll also help me keep me social.

I'm working on my resume this weekend and should hopefully start job searching on Monday. Are Monster.com and Careebuilder still decent options? I should probably get a linkin account. Right now I'm planning on looking at the mortgage side of things as well as just about anything that I may be capable of doing.

The upside to all this is that my benefits won't expire till Nov 1, I'm getting a 14 week severance and I had 4 weeks of vacation that I didn't use that's being paid back, so money won't be the huge concern that I was dreading (naturally still planning on tightening the belt).

Kyougu on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll definately be following it.

Luckily I built up tons of social capital running a meetup, so I had plenty of friends being supportive and sending me links for applying at their respective places. It'll also help me keep me social.

I'm working on my resume this weekend and should hopefully start job searching on Monday. Are Monster.com and Careebuilder still decent options? I should probably get a linkin account. Right now I'm planning on looking at the mortgage side of things as well as just about anything that I may be capable of doing.

The upside to all this is that my benefits won't expire till Nov 1, I'm getting a 14 week severance and I had 4 weeks of vacation that I didn't use that's being paid back, so money won't be the huge concern that I was dreading (naturally still planning on tightening the belt).

Definitely get a LinkedIn account, it's how I found my current job (or the one I'm starting in a couple of weeks anyway), it and indeed are the big ones right now.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    All Monster and Careerbuilder will get you is spam.

I've found that LinkedIn has a good job search feature, and Indeed is a job search engine so those are the two I recommend.