As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android:Netrunner] The only time Bad Publicity isn't a thing to worry about.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I secrete Inside Jobs away in my hand for ages (except against PE that is) until just the right moment! :D

It was like turn 2 and I was like "I bet I can rush this shit out he doesn't have it."

I probably actually play way too cavalier on both sides of the table.

Also Gagarin vs Whizzard is just not very fun. Especially when he plays turn 1 imp.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I didn't come across any Leela while I was playing Haarpsichord, but I suspect that would have been even less fun than the few times I encountered film critic.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    New SU&SD article up that talks about their experiences at UK Nationals.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    I also get annoyed by opponents who shuffle my deck. Especially the guy who did it so forcefully that he split three sleeves. Possibly the same guy he's talking about.

I sympathise with him about being mentally and physically knackered after seven rounds of Swiss, but that was true of everyone else in the tournament as well. It's not climbing Everest.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I respect Quinns' dedication to Gagarin

I should really take another whack at it

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Gagarin is arguably one of those simple cards that was too quickly dismissed and is genuinely legit. Like so many Weyland cards, it's probably a solid B+ card, which you can very much play with.

Nicely written article. I was kind of expecting it to go a little further - have some final conclusive words about the experience after recovering. Really, I can't imagine playing in a tournament that large. The most I've ever dealt with was 43, and 7 rounds of swiss followed by whatever double-elimination is something I haven't had to suffer either. It's an experience I still can't work out if I want to have or not. I love playing this game, although typically only when I've found a set of decks I really enjoy playing. I think that makes me terrible at the highest competitive levels, but I also think that allows me to just love most parts of this game.
    Maybe next year I can come over for one of your crazy UK tournies, eh, @Cerberus? ;)

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I was in an 80+ person tournament last year

it was a goddamn nightmare, but it was also run really poorly and the venue was terrible

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Some of the people mentioned seem obnoxious... the article seemed carefully written to avoid commenting.

sig.gif
    edited September 2015
    Some of the people mentioned seem obnoxious... the article seemed carefully written to avoid commenting.

One of my mates played Quinns on the day. I don't think he was at his best that particular day either.

But I've met him a couple of times and he was absolutely lovely, and he's been huge in popularising Netrunner and running fantastic tournaments. I send SUASD my money with enthusiasm!

Bogart on
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Maybe next year I can come over for one of your crazy UK tournies, eh, @Cerberus? ;)

You'd definitely be welcome :)

I've played in an 160 person tournament, and a 250 person tournament, strangely it was the 160 (UK Nat) that was harder because it was 7 rounds of Swiss and the top 16 on the same day.

I love playing Netrunner, and there has only been once where I was glad to stop playing, that was at Worlds after 4 days of constant Netrunner. When I got knocked out, I was genuinely glad. I got back to the UK and I was super keen again, but there are definitely limits to my Netrunner stamina.

• KesterKester Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

One of my mates played Quinns on the day. I don't think he was at his best that particular day either.

This is why it's a valuable article to me; I think a lot of people have these ambivalent feelings about tournaments, where they love Netrunner but just end up stressed and exhausted after playing it in a serious business manner all day. At some point you do think "Hang on, isn't this supposed to be fun?", and that includes not being the friendly and welcoming opponent you'd like to be. The tournament structure is kind of fundamentally anti-social, but I'm not sure what you do about it. Perhaps it's just on the players to try to avoid those feelings as much as possible.

I know I had a minor epiphany recently when I narrowly missed out on qualifying for the BABW finals (the UK leg of the player-run ANR Pro Circuit) at the two qualifiers I went to. After the second I was really annoyed, but after sleeping on it I was surprised to find that my main emotion was actually relief: I could go back to building decks and playing for fun rather than feeling - as I had done since Store Championships started in January - like I had to get competition practice in with the top decks and play to win. It definitely made me realise that I'd let myself fall into thinking about things the wrong way: it's easy to do, and is pretty much a direct cause of most tournament-related stress. (As it turns out, one of the qualifiers above me couldn't make it and I was recently bumped up to the finals anyway, but hopefully it means I'll be going with a healthier attitude than if I'd qualified straight-up.)

I was definitely happy to drop the decks I took to Nationals afterwards. I'd been playing them for six months and the bullshit jank I started using afterwards was a breath of fresh air.

I feel that stress and fatigue from tournament play is greatly over looked. This is why articles such as this one from Quinn and previous ones from The Winning Agenda have been so important in my opinion.

Also do I know anyone with an alt art Kate that is willing to trade it?

So many of my meta mates love Kate it's tough getting them all their favourite IDs!

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    It's time for a new thread? WHO'S GOING TO DO IT?

ChaosHat wrote: »
    It's time for a new thread? WHO'S GOING TO DO IT?

I'm happy to do it :)
    What other content do folk want in the opening post(s)?

Cerberus wrote: »
    I feel that stress and fatigue from tournament play is greatly over looked. This is why articles such as this one from Quinn and previous ones from The Winning Agenda have been so important in my opinion.

It's doubly fun when you have con fatigue layering on top of it, and you're just completely knackered by the end of it.

Also something I think doesn't help long tournaments is that it sucks when you discover one of your decks isn't performing, and you have to slog through the rest of the day playing it and watching it fail. You *could* drop, but you had to drive a long way and you don't have a normal meta to get games in regularly with, so you end up just sticking it out and it sometimes hurts.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Kester wrote: »
    This is why it's a valuable article to me; I think a lot of people have these ambivalent feelings about tournaments, where they love Netrunner but just end up stressed and exhausted after playing it in a serious business manner all day. At some point you do think "Hang on, isn't this supposed to be fun?", and that includes not being the friendly and welcoming opponent you'd like to be. The tournament structure is kind of fundamentally anti-social, but I'm not sure what you do about it. Perhaps it's just on the players to try to avoid those feelings as much as possible.

I know I had a minor epiphany recently when I narrowly missed out on qualifying for the BABW finals (the UK leg of the player-run ANR Pro Circuit) at the two qualifiers I went to. After the second I was really annoyed, but after sleeping on it I was surprised to find that my main emotion was actually relief: I could go back to building decks and playing for fun rather than feeling - as I had done since Store Championships started in January - like I had to get competition practice in with the top decks and play to win. It definitely made me realise that I'd let myself fall into thinking about things the wrong way: it's easy to do, and is pretty much a direct cause of most tournament-related stress. (As it turns out, one of the qualifiers above me couldn't make it and I was recently bumped up to the finals anyway, but hopefully it means I'll be going with a healthier attitude than if I'd qualified straight-up.)

Yeah, I love playing competitive Netrunner. I do get fatigued after really long days, but playing in chess tournaments when I was younger, and Warmachine and Warhammer tournaments when older, has I think helped me deal with it better (drink water! sleep well! eat good! get air!). But the competition, the striving for dominance, the stress of knowing that each game, each move matters, is a fantastic feeling. For a while, anyway.

But the lead-up to it is often boring - playing the same deck over and over, playing against the same decks over and over, feeling constrained to play optimal cards. Jank decks are a lovely break, and not feeling that pressure can be fantastic too.

It's interesting - the Bay Area is very tournament-heavy. There's one or two almost every weekend. Very good for sharpening your skills against good players, but not as much time for breaks. Here in San Diego, it's much more casual and league-based, with an occasional tournament, so very good for chilling and exploring.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I wish there were more weekend tournaments here in my city, but it's basically only two locations that do any organised Netrunner play at all, outside of the occasional other store in the same chain putting on a Store Champs.

We have small 3-round stuff on weekday nights very frequently- once a week- but sometimes I just yearn for more long-form stuff.

Of course we'd need more numbers to start getting more, too. The most we've ever gone to was 5 rounds of swiss and a cut to top 8

here in seattle we have one guy who is extraordinarily dedicated and so we have at least one weekend tournament a month

:3

What sort of prize support do all those have? We'd probably be able to do them more often if we got more GNKs here.

edited September 2015
    usually stuff from the GNK but he also convinced a local game store to buy a bunch of the older special prize material like the old acrylic IDs and whatnot so he's been slowly awarding those

in fact tomorrow there's a tourney in which he's giving out the personal evolution/noise acrylic ID

Shorty on
    ah, is it mostly just a prize or two for the top placements or are there plenty of participation prizes too?

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Universe of tomorrow giving a bunch of must-trash assets seems like a perfect time for gagarin: make them trash that public support six times and then scorch em to death.

• EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Just played (and won) a game with that silly Bagbiter/MOpus/Game Day/Faust/Notoriety combo deck. Worth it for the look on my girlfriend's face when I said "clicks 1 and 2, Game Day to draw my entire deck", followed by the 7 click Indexing --> Maker's Eye --> Legwork --> Notoriety --> Notoriety --> Notoriety turn to one turn win from 0 agenda points.

It's getting disassembled immediately now.

Dis' wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

Universe of tomorrow giving a bunch of must-trash assets seems like a perfect time for gagarin: make them trash that public support six times and then scorch em to death.

Kind of expensive to run, but it still feels like getting a Hostile Infrastructure up and running would be gravy for it as well.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited September 2015
    the problem with asset-heavy Weyland in general is that you usually still have to get your economy sorted somehow

like in HB all your shit does double duty, since you can run pads with eve and Adonis and just chuck 'em out there, even if they don't pay out all the way they're a significant drain on the runner's resources since they don't require you to do anything else

but in weyland your choices are basically capital investors and the root, both of which require a couple turns on the board and some further investment before they become worth it

HB can also put all that money to better use, I think, since you can use it to turn on sansan or biotic labor, instead of just ice and sea-scorch

Shorty on
    edited September 2015
    Anzekay wrote: »
    ah, is it mostly just a prize or two for the top placements or are there plenty of participation prizes too?

today he gave the guy in first place the acrylic ID, a full bleed lotus field, and first pick from the summer kit

e: I took third so I got a set of promo Swordsmans

everyone got a swordsman for participating

Shorty on
    edited September 2015
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a asset version of Modded. Operation that has you install and Rez a asset for, say, three less? Sure.

World Plaza doesn't really count to me, since it at least has a drawback.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a asset version of Modded. Operation that has you install and Rez a asset for, say, three less? Sure.

Breaker Bay Grid isn't a million miles away from this.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Epimer wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »

Breaker Bay Grid isn't a million miles away from this.

i thought about that, but it does make the process 2 clicks long instead of one, and it can be trashed out of R&D or HQ (though with high trash cost it's unlikely, and it has the benefit of sticking around for multiple rezzes)

Edit: do Freelancer or Singularity start becoming viable, against decks that make things hard to trash? Probably not, right? Taking another look at All-Seeing I made me understand why I'm seeing DLR and Wireless Net Pavillion out of Valencia.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    So my group had a tournament at our FLGS this weekend and I somehow, someway managed to get 2nd!! It's the best tournament finish I've ever had. Here are my decklists:

No Fun Zone - Jinteki Biotech never-advance

Wizzing Whizzard - Whizzard. Honestly I just netdecked this one and changed nerve agent to gravedigger because I hate nerve agent and gravedigger is rad

The corp deck actually did not do super well - only won one out of four rounds. Part of that is pilot error--account siphon made a big comeback all of a sudden and I didn't do well against it. Another is the deck itself could be tightened a little bit (the sansans were in fact early premieres at the tournament and they did basically nothing). But the first-place player was also playing Biotech never-advance so I feel like there's something there.

napdcontract_altart_web.jpg

Alt-art NAPD Contract from Worlds.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Info about Worlds and the prize support....

NAPD!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/21/dare-to-run/

Sunnovabitch! How badly do I want those? ... *grumble grumble time to watch ebay*

well the nice thing is that they're participation prizes so getting them shouldn't be too difficult

Wasn't Pro-Co last year's participation prize? Those never went for less than $50 online, really. People learned after PSF.

Wasn't Pro-Co last year's participation prize? Those never went for less than $50 online, really. People learned after PSF.

Apparently you get an alt art for every game, e.g. Conquest, Netrunner, GoT etc and then you get an extra 2 if you play all rounds of Swiss for that event. If this is true you can expect more available and for sale.

• GrainGrain Registered User regular
    Hey all. Wanted to thank y'all for the Jinteki.net recommendation. The interface is fantastic and I've finally been able to play consistently. Been using Netrunnerdb to make decks and then I just import them over to Jinteki.net. Netrunnerdb has got to be the best deck creation tool I've ever seen for a card game.

Absolutely loving this game again. I'm only playing with cards I physically own so I can test decks I can play with friends, but I'm going to slowly branch out after learning the Core deck and Creation and Control cards. I don't have much beyond that...I think Trace Amounts.

Anyways...my name is Grain on Jinteki and I'm typically on in the evenings. Let's hook up for a game or two if you're on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

White: 1721-3651-2720
This discussion has been closed.