As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Constitutional crisis at [EuroPAX]

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    I think that's just the impact of social media, everyone in Europe is seeing the same pictures and imagining that's what's going on in their own countries

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Now border controls in Austria and Slovakia

Looks like we've got the first proper JC drama since he got elected

The top four positions in the Shadow Cabinet have all gone to men

John McDonnell is causing the most friction with his appointment as shadow chancellor. He's Corbyns #2, so it makes sense that he got a senior position to help strengthen JC's position as leader, but he also takes Labour economic position from "Pro-Austerity" to "Destroy Capitalism".

Andy Burnham's shadow home secretary, which is a critical move to ensure that Labour remains united. With Cooper and Kendall out, his senior position was practically guaranteed.

Hilary Benn, son of Tony Benn, got shadow foreign secretary. This is the most problematic appointment for me - McDonnell kind of takes up the "personal friend" slot, having Benn as well is raising some awkward questions.

McDonnell's stance is that he doesn't see Leader/Chancellor/Home/Foreign as positions of seniority and that Shadow Cabinet at large is gender balanced. It's an interesting argument, but there's still some annoyed tweets floating around from some of Labours female MP's.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Now border controls in Austria and Slovakia

It is currently unclear which kind of controls

The Hungarian government is right now dissolving refugee camps in southern Hungary and has so far brought 8000 refugees to the Austrian border (could be 25,000 to 50,000 if they completely clear the camps)

Situation's fucked up

edited September 2015
    Denmark and the UK won't participate in the relocation of refugees from Italy and Greece

And the number is much lower than the 160,000 aimed for by the commission

Platy on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Corbyn looks like the guy who played Vincent Van Gogh in Doctor Who, back in his younger years.

I think he looks like... you know there's always that one teacher who everyone likes?

edited September 2015
    fert

Platy on
    edited September 2015
    This was also a rather pointless post I think

Platy on
    Hungary is tightening up its border some more
    Human rights observers have been ordered to leave Hungary’s border crossing with Serbia, according to Tirana Hassan, director of crisis response at Amnesty International.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This was also a rather pointless post I think

well now you made it look like I was agreeing with your post being pointless. Which I guess I wasn't, since I agreed with whatever it was, but i can't remember now.

Scintillating discourse in the euro thread, as per.

So I think they're going to hold another emergency summit to try and figure something out. But the various sides are so far apart, I don't know what can be done.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    The problem is also that even if any of the eastern countries agree to take in refugees that doesn't help, because they also need to provide adequate conditions which they have proven unwilling/unable to do in the past. Noone will want to stay in Slovakia or Hungary over Germany or Sweden and rightly so. It's a real mess.

Germany is estimating they will take in a million refugees this year

• CampyCampy Registered User regular

Ah, so that's why they wanted the human rights observes out of the way...

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's been difficult to get work done today what with constantly refreshing the #piggate hashtag.

I don't know if I'm unhappy this ridiculousness happened after I left the country, or pleased because it means I could watch it unfold from the start.

It's an absolute snoutrage

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I could make a bad pun about it, but I'm keeping it kosher.

I can't believe even the Mail had the balls to just trot this one out on the front page.

Campy wrote: »
    I can't believe even the Mail had the balls to just trot this one out on the front page.

Pun aside, either they have pretty solid evidence, or they can fall back on the "We're just reporting that Lord Ashcroft said this" card.

I wonder if Cameron would sue them.

They tend to swing pretty hard right don't they? They're also pretty vindictive and vengeful, so I wonder how they'd react if he did...

They tend to swing pretty hard right don't they? They're also pretty vindictive and vengeful, so I wonder how they'd react if he did...

It comes down to how solid they think their case is. If an editor is currently being crucified for letting such a story hit the front page, they might settle. If they have photographs, they'll blast the freedom of the press card.

Man, if they do have photo evidence I wonder how much they paid for it. And in what tender, blood or gold?

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm going to regret asking this, but what is piggate?

Man, if they do have photo evidence I wonder how much they paid for it. And in what tender, blood or gold?

Souls, maybe.

Also like I said, the thrust of the Daily Mail story is that these are allegations by Lord Ashcroft. It is entirely factual that Lord Ashcroft has made allegations, so maybe that would protect the Daily Mail from legal action.

Then again, our Libel Laws are pretty messed up at times.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/21/david-cameron-pig-head-lord-ashcroft-unofficial-biography-drug-taking-claims
    An unofficial biography of David Cameron written by the former Conservative donor Lord Ashcroft has made a series of claims about his involvement in a drug-taking environment at university, a bizarre dinner club initiation ritual and his knowledge of the peer’s offshore tax status.

(etc etc)

The biography also makes claims about the prime minister’s time at university, saying an MP had seen photographic evidence that Cameron put a “private part of his anatomy” into a dead pig’s head as part of a dining club initiation ritual.

Lord Ashcroft is a Conservative donor who has given over £8 million to the Party during their last stint in Opposition.

Apparently he has been disgruntled about being passed over for a position in Government and in revenge has published a biography about David Cameron with a number of scandalous accusations, the juciest being that at university he once put his private parts in a dead pig's mouth.

Lord Ashcroft is a Conservative donor who has given over £8 million to the Party during their last stint in Opposition.

Apparently he has been disgruntled about being passed over for a position in Government and in revenge has published a biography about David Cameron with a number of scandalous accusations, the juciest being that at university he once put his private parts in a dead pig's mouth.

TLDR. Man failing to bribe way into power calls PM pig fucker.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    The Bullingdon club sounds like it encompasses everything that I could possibly hate.

Liiya wrote: »
    The Bullingdon club sounds like it encompasses everything that I could possibly hate.

Even its name reeks of privilege

I'm going to be cautious and assume nothing other than Twitter exploding with jokes will come of this. If it becomes more serious, that's great, but I can live with just a day of great jokes.

Speaking of,

Huh, so is Croatia just ferrying people to Hungary?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Huh, so is Croatia just ferrying people to Hungary?

It looks like the Balkan states are trying their damnedest to not let anybody in and those that manage anyway get shipped out on the other side for other countries to deal with.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Still think the peak of the whole thing will be 'Bae of pigs'. I've laughed a lot, but I don't think that'll be topped.

forumsig.png
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBpQJ98rR4o&feature=youtu.be

I'll admit to being on the side of raking up rumours of old dumb uni shit not being the coolest thing to do, but this whole pig thing has been worth it for the twitter jokes.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    According to what people have dug up he probably didn't do it

Kinda shady that Ashcroft could just fling shit about after not getting the political power he thought he'd paid for this effectively

So, erm, would anyone here like to play some D&D