As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THE STEAM SALE CANNOT BE STOPPED. UPDATE: IT STOPPED.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Okay, serious question now; how long until someone convinces someone else to license out the System Shock rights and just flat out make a new System Shock game (not a spiritual successor)

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Okay, serious question now; how long until someone convinces someone else to license out the System Shock rights and just flat out make a new System Shock game (not a spiritual successor)

It's called Bioshock and it's been out for a while.

• Options
    edited September 2015

I literally said not a spiritual successor.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    The rights of System Shock 2 were caught for years in complications between Electronic Arts and Meadowbrook Insurance Group (a subsidiary of Star Insurance Company), the entity that acquired the assets of Looking Glass Studios on their closure,[59] though according to a lawyer for Star Insurance, they themselves have since acquired the lingering intellectual property rights from EA.[66]

It looks like the SS IP rights are a mess. I remember seeing a Warren Spector interview where he said that even the companies involved had no idea who had the rights to it at the time.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The more times Shodan is defeated, the less credible she is as a villain. I think System Shock has been done.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    The rights of System Shock 2 were caught for years in complications between Electronic Arts and Meadowbrook Insurance Group (a subsidiary of Star Insurance Company), the entity that acquired the assets of Looking Glass Studios on their closure,[59] though according to a lawyer for Star Insurance, they themselves have since acquired the lingering intellectual property rights from EA.[66]

It looks like the SS IP rights are a mess. I remember seeing a Warren Spector interview where he said that even the companies involved had no idea who had the rights to it at the time.

The rights got figured out enough to get both SS1 and SS2 resold, so I would imagine it's possible to get a new game licensed as well.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

I literally said not a spiritual successor.
    It wasn't a spiritual successor, BioShock was a palette swap.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    That is not what palette swap means.

Tube on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah a palette swapper looks like this

22BHA-7-22.gif

• Options
    You know what, nevermind. Forget I asked.

• Options

The rights got figured out enough to get both SS1 and SS2 resold, so I would imagine it's possible to get a new game licensed as well.

Both of those took years to get worked through, and they only exist because EA owns the rights to republish those games, but not make new titles using that IP. I believe that was also one reason why Ken Levine had to settle for making BioShock, rather than a full-on System Shock 3.

• Options

Don't worry, you weren't the one being a douche about it.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Don't worry, you weren't the one being a douche about it.

I wasn't being a douche, I was being silly.

For the record, it's my default state, much like Arial or Calibri.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    What if shodan wins

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    What if shodan wins

Then at least it's finally over for the rest of us

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    system shock game where you play as shodan

looking at hackers, pathetic meat and bone creatures

that sweat and pant as they walk through your hallways

• Options
    system shock game where you play as shodan

looking at hackers, pathetic meat and bone creatures

that sweat and pant as they walk through your hallways

So basically Sims V

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    You can't call it a spiritual successor though. It's practically the same game (plus Big Daddies/Little Sisters) in a different location.

sig.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    You can't call it a spiritual successor though. It's practically the same game (plus Big Daddies/Little Sisters) in a different location.

That sounds an awful lot like a spiritual successor to me.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    And without the malevolent AI

And with a different plot

And in a vastly different time period

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bioshock Infinite was a game about a spiritual successor

• Options
    Bioshock is essentially the definition of a spiritual successor.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
  • Options
    Bioshock is essentially the definition of a spiritual successor.
    I'm probably letting my feelings get in the way of the actual definition, so I'm going to drop it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I think Dead Space was a better successor, plus it had spiritual stuff too

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

dead space had basically nothing to do with system shock at all except for the convergence kinda being like The Many sorta but not really

dead space was an Alien analogue

• Options
    The more times Shodan is defeated, the less credible she is as a villain. I think System Shock has been done.

also this is correct

she never really "dies" in 1, and the means by which you defeat her and her subsequent escape lead perfectly into 2

she is straight up ganked in 2, and any way of bringing her back would just be stretching it

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

dead space had basically nothing to do with system shock at all except for the convergence kinda being like The Many sorta but not really

Dead space had ghosts, tech, audio logs, a twist, limited ammo, a Rickenbacker-like, abstract boss battle, two survivors that are one step ahead of you, the best weapon is yellow, etc

• Options

Dead space had ghosts, tech, audio logs, a twist, limited ammo, a Rickenbacker-like, abstract boss battle, two survivors that are one step ahead of you, the best weapon is yellow, etc

so it was a survival horror game is what you're saying

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

also this is correct

she never really "dies" in 1, and the means by which you defeat her and her subsequent escape lead perfectly into 2

she is straight up ganked in 2, and any way of bringing her back would just be stretching it
    The stinger shows her having survived though...?
    'Course, I'd be fine with treating that as non-canon.

• Options

so it was a survival horror game is what you're saying

Your main weapon was a tool! You had a weird looking face! You could play basketball!

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »

also this is correct

The stinger shows her having survived though...?
    'Course, I'd be fine with treating that as non-canon.

rebecca does not count!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah I mean there are obviously some sequel hooks in SS2, but I'm fine with it ending on that as well

goddamn I gotta play SS2 again, though I have to imagine it doesn't hold up as well as I remember.

• Options
    I live on ... in this hair!

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah I mean there are obviously some sequel hooks in SS2, but I'm fine with it ending on that as well

goddamn I gotta play SS2 again, though I have to imagine it doesn't hold up as well as I remember.

get the mod that makes weapon degradation not shit from a butt

it still has some of the best sound design in any game I've ever played, and that's the main reason it is so well remembered

• Options
    Also the Von Braun actually looks like a place where people live. You can recycle plants and everything.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Hey that Hitman game's not coming out in December anymore

Now it's...March-ish?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

get the mod that makes weapon degradation not shit from a butt

it still has some of the best sound design in any game I've ever played, and that's the main reason it is so well remembered

Yeah, I remember the sound being AMAZING in that game.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

also this is correct

Couldn't a System Shock 3 just not have Shodan in it? I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how that story would go and I don't know if it would or could tie directly into the two previous games, but I'm sure someone could come up with something.

JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.