As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [chat] Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    getting back into it after an *ahem* hiatus of playing video games refocusing. first bad habit I'm trying to break: drawing with my wrist instead of my arm

I feel like I still catch myself and have to start over whenever I'm drafting on this. It's super hard for me to do it consistently without reminding myself.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    A friend refered a client my way. I really dont want to meet. I wish we could do everything through email so as to never talk to them in person.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    A friend refered a client my way. I really dont want to meet. I wish we could do everything through email so as to never talk to them in person.

Tell them you have SARS and that shouldn't be a problem

• Options
    I'm a little nervous about this one. I'm not very confident with my level of 'business Japanese'.

He will either be charmed by my casual tone or insulted to the point of sepukku.

• Options
    I'm a little nervous about this one. I'm not very confident with my level of 'business Japanese'.

He will either be charmed by my casual tone or insulted to the point of sepukku.

remember your motto: Fuck you pay me

If that wasn't your motto before well it is now

• Options
    zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Guys I was sick for about a week and a half with a bad cold, was better for about two weeks, and now I'm sick again! Is this unusual? Have you guys ever gotten sick back to back like that? First was a really bad cold and this other one also feels like a cold, same symptoms.

This has never happened to me before so I'm wondering if any of you suffer from this often and it's nothing strange.

Didn't change my diet, was just taking my same multi vitamin, usual amount of exercise and sleep, maybe a bit less sleep.

zapattack on
    www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Probably just a different type of virus? Personally I wouldn't worry unless I caught it a third time.

m3nace on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    That happened to me once, two weeks back to back. Stomach bug. Lost 10 lbs. :/

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Sitting there doing basic skull construction, and for no reason I can discern the "sides cut off the circle" used as the ball of the head looks like a block of cheese. I cannot unsee it, yet at the same time my accuracy has gone up...

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Hope you get better soon zap!

So I just found my wacom pen almost a year after losing it (maybe even more now?). I was setting up my nes/sega in my new office at home and it was at the bottom of the box. This is great news, also no more excuses for not posting art. Trying to break some bad habits I've developed art-wise over the last year and trying not to use work as an excuse for not doing my personal stuff anymore. :x

Prospicience on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    There's a post Muddy Colors with pictures of artists studios.

It might be NSFW because Greg Hildebrandt is painting a lady with her boobs out and her finger in her mouth.

muddycolors.blogspot.ca/2015/09/artists-studios.html

I like how James Jean's is just a big empty warehouse lookin' place. I've always wanted a big space like that. And a bucket of bouncy balls. And then I would never get any art done.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I want a huge space too. At least one that I could get some big canvases in.

• Options
    Added a section to the online class masterpost for individual lectures/gumroad links so I could add the Dorian Iten pay what you want measurement thing. Since gumroad lectures are harder to centralize, if you know of any let me know so I can add them:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/196620/online-art-class-masterpost?new=1

I guess I'll also add his Mastering light and form to the list. Has anyone tried it? http://www.dorian-iten.com/light-and-form/

• Options
    I went to my big brother's wedding a few weeks ago, and it was nice and beautiful and I'm happy for him and his wife, they're super happy and cute together and she seems super nice.

That said, it sure was a stark reminder for me of how I grew up to be the world's most insecure human.

I would hope that the average person would have some amount of respect for me having some amount of success in a pretty difficult to get into field that requires a lot of skill and work and dedication...but in a scenario where comparisons are inevitable, it does feel like I'm just introducing myself as, "Hi yeah I'm the failure non-doctor brother that does not have 3 degrees. I apologize for not being the ultra-genius you probably expected." :/

• Options
    I'm the sister of a Harvard grad who married a MIT grad and has two super babies.

I totes feel ya.

• Options
    "So! What do you do for a living?"

"HM?? Oh, I wouldn't go so far as to call what I do living."

*takes a sip from his wine glass, which is full of chocolate milk, gargles before swallowing and then slinks off*

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2015
    Iruka wrote: »
    I'm the sister of a Harvard grad who married a MIT grad and has two super babies.

I totes feel ya.

<fistbump>

My brother went to Harvard as well. And has a PhD, and went to Northwestern med school. His new wife, also a Harvardite with (I think?) some other degree in addition.
    My big sister went to Georgetown, has some U of Chicago grad degree, married to another Georgetownian, also has 2 kids that I'm sure are also going to be super geniuses.
    HS valedictorian and salutatorian respectively. Never got anything but all A's until they got to college.

Basically I was made to feel like I was a total fuckup from the day I was born, by virtue of being only averagely above average, grades-wise.

Probably would have done my self-esteem a lot of good had I spent some time in an exchange program with just a normal average household, where my B+/A- grades, diligent pursuit of my career interests, and the fact that I never drank or smoked the fat chronic (that's a term, right?) would be considered enough to be worthy of praise. Or any real attention at all, for that matter.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    I've often found that not doing things is rarely praiseworthy or interesting.

That's not going to stop me from stopping myself from doing things, though.

• Options
    The largest marker of my art degree is 120k of debt. Luckily I only have one sibling.

I also had relatively horrible grades, and I think I was C average.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2015
    EDIT: I should probably shut up about this topic since I know a lot of people are probably reading this thinking, "You think YOU have problems? Get some perspective, MY childhood was <insert Stephen King-esque horror story here>"- I'm aware that with perfect perspective of all possible human experiences, what I'm whining about is objectively not that bad, or even something that many people would ever even think of as an actual issue.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    I don't think personal frame of reference is a "who suffered more" thing. However you feel is legitimate and worth sharing.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, I barely squeaked by in high school. Fortunately neither of my brothers got good grades either; we all struggled in that aspect. The only subjects we ever got A's or did well in (generally) was art classes. I am however the only of my siblings that wasn't/isn't a professional athlete.

While we may not be doctors I do think everyone here is very artistically praiseworthy and interesting. So, I'm going to say "let's not everyone be too hard on ourselves" knowing full well that we're all going to continue being hard on ourselves because, artists.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Any UI artists around? We need a couple and if I refer you and you get hired I get mooonneeeyy.

Also, how is it going?

rts on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I love the moped-out undertones of the chat thread, it helps me feel at ease, like a place where it's not weird to randomly burst into tears

Also I can't UI dang

Agentflit on
  • Options
    Oh man, been a few years since I've done some design work... if I find time this weekend maybe I'll grab my old iPhone game assets and design work for a sweet spur of the moment Blizz specific portfolio.

Also didn't know you were working with the blizz, a probably, very late, congratulations! Hope things are going well.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Well said Enc.

That sounds like a pretty sweet position, if only I had the portfolio. I had no idea you were working for Blizzard either, congrats!

• Options
    After living for nearly 30 years in a place with a year long summer, seasons are still weird. Also, seasonal allergies are not a thing that happens on cable TV anymore.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't know if I said in here, but - I'm moving to the US. Boston. In like, a month-ish!

Now it's actually happening I'm suddenly really freaked out and anxious about all the logistics and bureaucracy. Hooray!

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I don't know if I said in here, but - I'm moving to the US. Boston. In like, a month-ish!

Now it's actually happening I'm suddenly really freaked out and anxious about all the logistics and bureaucracy. Hooray!

Suggestion: if you're planning on driving there, I'd suggest a car that you don't mind getting banged up a bit, has 4wd, and a high safety rating.
    I actually like driving generally, and I found the combination of blizzard conditions, drivers turned mad by the hell-spaghetti road layouts, and the incredibly baffling and dangerous 'yield at the end of onramps' rule to be utterly terrifying.

But, congrats!

• Options
    edited September 2015

Suggestion: if you're planning on driving there, I'd suggest a car that you don't mind getting banged up a bit, has 4wd, and a high safety rating.
    I actually like driving generally, and I found the combination of blizzard conditions, drivers turned mad by the hell-spaghetti road layouts, and the incredibly baffling and dangerous 'yield at the end of onramps' rule to be utterly terrifying.

But, congrats!

For a moment I thought you meant driving to there from here and I was "well ... I mean I guess submersibles are a THING now but yeah it probably would get pretty dinged up ..."

anyway not really planning on owning a car there, more hassle than it's worth in cities. And as you point out, it's a hellscape even without the snow (every time I've driven in Boston i've either got lost or ended up slingshotting around various ramp systems several times trying to find the right exit). And there's always Zipcar if I really need one for anything.

tynic on
  • Options

But, congrats!

For a moment I thought you meant driving to there from here and I was "well ... I mean I guess submersibles are a THING now but yeah it probably would get pretty dinged up ..."

anyway not really planning on owning a car there, more hassle than it's worth in cities. And as you point out, it's a hellscape even without the snow (every time I've driven in Boston i've either got lost or ended up slingshotting around various ramp systems several times trying to find the right exit). And there's always Zipcar if I really need one for anything.

Maybe I meant you should get one of those dune buggies with the tires that let you drive on top of water as long as you keep moving fast enough:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWnH30yiyQ4

But yeah, not having a car if you can manage it is probably the way to go.

I'm trying to think of what other info I could share about Boston from the year I lived there, but since I didn't really go anywhere or do anything while I was there (am a hermit, terrified of driving anywhere, did not live in the city proper), my information is basically limited to, "get ready to see a Dunkin' Donuts every 30 yards!", which is probably not the kind of insightful insider knowledge you'd benefit a lot from.

• Options
    I don't know about insightful, but it did make me really want a donut.

• Options
    Well, take advantage of it- I thought it was silly when I was there, and barely went into any DD's the whole time...but ever since I've moved away, I have pined for that same level of donut ubiquity.
    If I have to actively go out of my way in order to make a donut purchase, that donut purchase is not happening. :(

If you ever move out of Boston, I suggest eating nothing but donuts the last week you're there- thus sickening you to the point that you'll never want to see one again, as you venture out into a comparative donut desert.

• Options
    I went to my big brother's wedding a few weeks ago, and it was nice and beautiful and I'm happy for him and his wife, they're super happy and cute together and she seems super nice.

That said, it sure was a stark reminder for me of how I grew up to be the world's most insecure human.

I would hope that the average person would have some amount of respect for me having some amount of success in a pretty difficult to get into field that requires a lot of skill and work and dedication...but in a scenario where comparisons are inevitable, it does feel like I'm just introducing myself as, "Hi yeah I'm the failure non-doctor brother that does not have 3 degrees. I apologize for not being the ultra-genius you probably expected." :/

I decided to play it safe and got a degree in engineering instead of going into art. Now I can't draw and I work in a convenience store.

• Options
    Boston is a great town (or really, many towns). Only big problem is that the streets are bonkers in layout and nowhere goes anywhere effectively or quickly. It's like playing through an RPG dungeon to get anywhere. At times this is really cool because you constantly discover new little enclaves of places to go. When you just want to get home and all of traffic is down to one lane with 7 police officers blocking the entire highway for a single tree trimmer notsomuch.

• Options
    Also relevant to Artist's Corener:

1443162665-IsaacComic.png

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Still lifes or still lives? Hmm...

• Options
    I love how all the fruit bowl is in his manga thing.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Also relevant to Artist's Corener:

paranatural

Just to add in the "more words at the bottom" from this:
    Okay I gotta be real this is basically autobio comics, though Baby Zack would be too shy to talk back to a teacher, even in defense of his one true love, The Animes. Poking fun at Isaac aside, Manga Dismissal Is Real, and it sucks! Too many art teachers and parents try to steer kids away from drawing like their favorite animes as if it's going to stunt their growth as an artist or something, which is silly. The best way to get a young person to stick with art and improve is to encourage them to draw what they want, how they want, a lot! And let's not pretend manga-y styles' place in the hierarchy of How Art Is This Form Of Art doesn't have everything to do with some of our worst -isms, both in terms of where it comes from (Asia, Japan) and who's enjoying and imitating it (young women). We can at least agree that "Shouldn't you draw something more realistic?" and other lowkey digs at kids' choice of art style comes packaged with the implicit assertion that cartoon and manga styles come from a lack of ability to draw people like they actually look, and that a career or mastery in arts is predicated on overcoming that particular dead end. Which is also silly! The words you're looking for are "Hey you Literal 15-Year Old, that arm you drew looks weird because you're a beginner, here's some anatomy tips. Also, have you considered the origins and original purpose of the visual language- developed over decades and decades by Asian comic artists- that you're now deploying to construct your OC? That huge egg you drew in that beautiful ninja man's pupil is an exaggerated representation of a reflection from a light source. See, by presenting an enhanced, if unrealistic, version of reality, you can convey an entirely different sort of realism- one that's true to the world we experience, if not always the one we literally perceive," and by then you'll have distracted your teen of choice long enough for your accomplice to have sneaked up behind them and stolen their ipad or livestrong bracelet or whatever it is you people carry around these days.

So hey, kids, draw that Goku and oh my god I can't believe this horrible comic turned into a weird PSA about manga.

Thanks for reading! I'll move this joke comic to the Extras section on Tuesday.

Mixed feeling about this.

On the one hand, at some point it is necessary to drive home that drawing well, even manga stuff well, is going to necessarily involve drawing things that are not just imagined manga characters- you'll need to do some hardcore life drawing, perspective work, still lifes, observational drawing, etc. to really make that stuff solid. Also a lot of manga stuff is pretty low bar to hit, so it's good to be able to explain where that work falls short (ie: "Hey DBZ is fun and all but if you look closely at how they draw arms on that show you can see how wack they are anatomically").

On the other hand, I agree that art teachers at that level (most of whom I would guess can not draw particularly well themselves in any style), would probably get a lot more traction by taking the BASF* approach- "We don't determine the style, we teach how to make a style, better". Prove that what they've got to offer is something manga kid can use, and they'll be a lot more interested and will have a greater chance of growing to appreciate other styles and approaches, will be more likely to grow towards a serious pursuit- maybe even a more fine arts kind of art, eventually.
    If a teacher blows it by trying to insist that if a kid isn't fucking riveted doing 3 weeks of contour drawings of apples (a perfectly valid exercise, on its own) then they're not a real artist, then that poor kid is either going to give up drawing, or continue drawing and never get any better, because nobody ever actually told them how they can get better- only other, special people that would be way into contour apples.

*people remember those commercials, right?