As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I thirst for combiners, but it looks like all the third-party (and first-party, really) combiners are of the Scramble City, four-limbs-and-a-torso style. I wish some third-party manufacturer broke the mold on how combiner components fit together. Remember Magnaboss and Tripredacus from Beast Wars? Obviously they both had some issues, but man, I'd love to see a combiner where I didn't automatically know how all the pieces fit together just by being told "there are 5/6 components".

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Fansproject is doing a Dinoking right now that has a two-bot torso, so that's kinda something?

KFC did the tape combiners, but they're awful.

The Minicon deluxe combiner in the Generations line was a great idea with a poor execution.

Iron Factory has a legends sized Overlord that I wish someone would KO into leader sized, and MMC has an Overlord coming out that will probably be amazing and overwrought and not Masterforce enough and too Masterforce and not LSOTW enough and too LSOTW.

That's about as good as it gets right now, unless someone starts building some of those silly Powerlink omnicombinational torso leg robots.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I thirst for combiners, but it looks like all the third-party (and first-party, really) combiners are of the Scramble City, four-limbs-and-a-torso style. I wish some third-party manufacturer broke the mold on how combiner components fit together. Remember Magnaboss and Tripredacus from Beast Wars? Obviously they both had some issues, but man, I'd love to see a combiner where I didn't automatically know how all the pieces fit together just by being told "there are 5/6 components".

I16DI7G.jpg

It may not be the prettiest combiner by today's standards, but I remember this GoBot guy having some neat mechanics in the way the arms/chest/crotch figures linked together. Bonus points for having the hands and head be integral instead of pegged add-ons, and boy do I miss die cast metal in my toys.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Puzzler was cool. I had one a few years ago. Monsterous was cooler though. http://www.toyarchive.com/Gobots/Combiners/Monsterous.html

There were also those Transformers Go combiners that were 3 bots stacked on top of each other.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I picked up Badcube Wardog two weeks ago and he is pretty great in both tank and robot mode

Transforming him, not so much

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

You need to import the transformers go! combiners. They sound like exactly what you want.

edited September 2015
    maxresdefault.jpg

All three of these combiners are formed from the same 3 base bots. There is also another set of 3 that again can form 3 combiners, and an optimus that can combine with some of those guys for yet more combinerbots.

They are relatively cheap too, if you look around usually they go for 20-40 a bot, so normal voyager prices and really inexpensive for imports.

Jealous Deva on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, there are those guys. Reviews made them look pretty mediocre, but if you want to scratch the itch, they're there.

8aVThp6.png
    Yeah, they're kind of fun but not that great. I've actually been trying to sell mine on and off for awhile but it hasn't happened yet. Just more stuff I don't have room for anymore. :/

My new TRU MP Starscream's fingers came installed backwards.

8aVThp6.png
    Schide wrote: »
    Yeah, they're kind of fun but not that great. I've actually been trying to sell mine on and off for awhile but it hasn't happened yet. Just more stuff I don't have room for anymore. :/

I like the idea, but I'm too GEEWUN UBER ALLES to be a customer (unless they slipped it into MTMTE).

Those looooooong torsos make me think that maybe they didn't need three robots per combiner.

8aVThp6.png
    So in the spirit of the newly announced fallout and skyrim figures I've been trying to find some guys in my collection they might fit in with...

9j0zz7082tje.jpg

The hulk would make a great generic Super Mutant if he wasn't so obviouly the Hulk.

Did they ever make a Maestro?

8aVThp6.png
    edited September 2015
    They did, but it was very early so the style is more old school.

Hulk01.jpg

Edit: Also, just realized that the head of red skull figure I stole that duster from would make a great ghoul. Time to look for an appropriate body that it will fit on.

Also need a better set of hands for the custom duster/combat armor guy, a gun for him, and maybe an open face helm for him to disguise his starlordness.

Jealous Deva on
    Worked a little more, and ladies and gentlemen I present... The lone wanderers.
    yng8ww5xtcl8.jpg

I was a bit worried at first about the ghoul being so short, but looking at his face, of course he is.

143999 wrote: »
    My new TRU MP Starscream's fingers came installed backwards.

Just opened up mine, and mine also had that issue. Simple enough to fix. It also had a pin at the shoulder that was too far out and was hindering the movement but I was able to push it in. Other than that there weren't any issues.

Also looked around the clearance bins in B&N and there was a decent amount of stuff. I picked up one of the breaking ground figuarts effects parts and a couple of Asoblock sets because they looked neat.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    OK, this Toyworld Devastator. Articulated treads on not-Bonecrusher and not-Scavenger.

Is this the real life?

This dude is going to be like nine feet tall, how am I supposed to justify getting him? How can I possibly justify NOT getting him?

It's fine, I bet he'll cost more than my net worth, even if I start saving now.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I want Quakewave or the official MP Shockwave

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    NZa19uX.png

I did a bad, baaaaad thing.

Well, do you have a regular deco Feral Rex?

8aVThp6.png
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    Worst part. It's cheaper then the normal set

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    143999 wrote: »
    Well, do you have a regular deco Feral Rex?

Yes, and it's great which is why I wanted this one at a mostly reasonable price.
    grim123 wrote: »
    Worst part. It's cheaper then the normal set

Actually, since I got all the originals at early bird pricing the first 5 ended up costing me $440 total plus some BBTS shipping. But now they're more than $500 unless you get a deal.

HOWEVER I have since rethought Nero Rex and have requested a preorder cancellation. Went over some stuff and realized I should not have made the snap preorder.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    some of the 3rd party stuff looks amazing. but a variety of factors always keep me from investing in them.

I think Predaking is about the only G1 combiner of which I don't have a representation. It's like, I have no particular interest in the guy, but Feral Rex is supposed to be the BEST THING EVER, and that makes me sad in this weird, almost academic way. Like, I'm not going to get to experience whatever it is about him, but I'm not interested enough in the character to spend the money on the set.

Sometimes, I think about picking up a cheap War Lord set just to fill the hole in my G1 combiners, but even that is like, naaaaah most of the time.

8aVThp6.png
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    I hate 3rd party some times. It's so tempting to buy 3 or 4 cw primes for all the upgrade sets that are coming out.

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    I'm thinking about selling my scratch-n-dent Orion and picking up a CW Prime and upgrade kit instead.

I got a white Prime in the hopes that someone would do the obvious Thunderclash upgrade, but so far, only false starts on that front. WTF, third parties.

Also, MMC's Impactor should be dropping in a week or so, so YAAAAAAAAAY

8aVThp6.png
    So pumped about MP Hot Rod 2.0 now.

c3sgyjkz6drm.png

8aVThp6.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So I got a big Figuarts haul the other day

Kamen Rider 3 - Great figure, love the shiny and matte finishes, and a great modernized classic design

Kamen Rider Sigurd (Cherry Energy Arms) - Favorite design of the energy Riders from Gaim

Tune Chaser Set - Machine Chaser's accessories: bat wings, spider pincer, and snake whip. Chaser best Drive dude

Iron Man Mk 45 - Fucking love this thing. The shiny metallic paint looks great, all the little moving parts for the articulation are really cool, and it has a bunch of blast effects

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Finally saw the heroes of the storm figures in store. Not sure if there was a sale but they were cheaper than online prices so I picked up nova. The illidan figure looked really good, but I was never a huge illidan fan so I passed. Despite that, in package illidan looked way better than nova.

Her neck is tilted forward and there is only a swivel for her head so she has this odd craning/turtle lurch thing going. Also the way her legs and backside are setup if you position her legs in basically anything but standing straight she has a bizarre butt plate. Unfortunately she also has the issue of being unable to cross her arms so she can't really hold the sniper rifle properly.

I haven't yet tried soaking her in warm water to loosen things so maybe that will help, but I don't want to have to give my toy a bath every time I want to change the pose. Similarly the swappable hand...I guess I need to loosen it with hot water to try and pry the "starter" hand off.

Even though it has those issues I like the figure, but that may just be because I like heroes and StarCraft etc. Still it would be nice to not have those problems.

I just realized that MMC Impactor's color scheme is almost exactly reversed in alt mode. Hmm.

8aVThp6.png
    I'm really interested in the Tyrael figure

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Finally saw the heroes of the storm figures in store. Not sure if there was a sale but they were cheaper than online prices so I picked up nova. The illidan figure looked really good, but I was never a huge illidan fan so I passed. Despite that, in package illidan looked way better than nova.

Her neck is tilted forward and there is only a swivel for her head so she has this odd craning/turtle lurch thing going. Also the way her legs and backside are setup if you position her legs in basically anything but standing straight she has a bizarre butt plate. Unfortunately she also has the issue of being unable to cross her arms so she can't really hold the sniper rifle properly.

I haven't yet tried soaking her in warm water to loosen things so maybe that will help, but I don't want to have to give my toy a bath every time I want to change the pose. Similarly the swappable hand...I guess I need to loosen it with hot water to try and pry the "starter" hand off.

Even though it has those issues I like the figure, but that may just be because I like heroes and StarCraft etc. Still it would be nice to not have those problems.

Sorry to suddenly post in here, but I have been lurking for a while since I got addicted to buying Transformers again and spotted this thread. Anyways, more info than you all wanted to know. I was wondering are these toys at all toy stores, specialty shops, or game stop? I'm thinking of picking one up for a friend who is obsessed with HotS and it would be a great gag gift for him since he has an original Diablo figure.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Sorry to suddenly post in here, but I have been lurking for a while since I got addicted to buying Transformers again and spotted this thread. Anyways, more info than you all wanted to know. I was wondering are these toys at all toy stores, specialty shops, or game stop? I'm thinking of picking one up for a friend who is obsessed with HotS and it would be a great gag gift for him since he has an original Diablo figure.
    No need to apologize, posting is what threads are for.

You might be able to find the Diablo figures in a dedicated toy store or game stop, but it's hard to say for certain. I've found a couple Jaegers at my local Toys R Us, but it's hit or miss when I go in.
    You may have better luck in comic or table top game shops or similar nerd holes.
    Best chances are to order online though. Big Bad Toy Store is my go to when the Available Money: Toy Robot ratio swings too far towards money. And there's always ebay or Amazon resellers.
    Barnes and Nobles book stores are also starting to stock more stuff like collectible toys, so you might get lucky there as well.

see317 wrote: »

No need to apologize, posting is what threads are for.

You might be able to find the Diablo figures in a dedicated toy store or game stop, but it's hard to say for certain. I've found a couple Jaegers at my local Toys R Us, but it's hit or miss when I go in.
    You may have better luck in comic or table top game shops or similar nerd holes.
    Best chances are to order online though. Big Bad Toy Store is my go to when the Available Money: Toy Robot ratio swings too far towards money. And there's always ebay or Amazon resellers.
    Barnes and Nobles book stores are also starting to stock more stuff like collectible toys, so you might get lucky there as well.

First off, for the highlighted part, if you soak the figure in hot water to loosen to joints, you won't have to do that every time because after you do it the joints should be just fine going forward, assuming it works.

I don't know much about these Heroes of the Storm specifically, but since they're NECA they're not going to be available in a lot of actual stores. Toys R Us stocks NECA stuff but their stock really varies a lot by store, some have a lot of NECA stock and others next to none. As for other places, B&N might have them but I haven't seen them near me yet, even though I haven't been looking I think I would have noticed them. Otherwise apparently Gamestop might have them.

But yes, as see317 said, online places like BBTS might be your best bet as they do have them for sale. Toywiz has them for a little cheaper but I'm not entirely sure how much shipping will be.

edited November 2015

Mine came from toys r us, but as mentioned it can be really hit or miss.

The above suggestions are pretty much what I would've said. I just happened to stumble on them and had a coupon or I probably would've tried bbts (haven't used them yet but keep meaning to try).

Edit: just saw the suggestion from @schide . am I looking at close to boiling or just warm? I guess a few minutes? Never tried this with a toy, and the closest comparison I have is molding mouthpieces when I was playing sports.

WingedWeasel on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Thank you gentlemen for the assistance on locating one. I've always eyed up BBTS but never pulled the trigger on buying anything from them. Part of me wants to do a toy run like I used to do when I was younger, but the laziness of age (and the fact that I need to go shopping for more sensible things) usually wins out. I might check out my TRU since it gets odd things and tends to keep them in stock longer than other nearby stores (it was how I ended up with a Prowl Masterpiece way past the time most stores were sold out).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Edit: just saw the suggestion from @schide . am I looking at close to boiling or just warm? I guess a few minutes? Never tried this with a toy, and the closest comparison I have is molding mouthpieces when I was playing sports.

You want it pretty hot, so close to boiling, and you only need to leave it in for maybe 30 seconds. It's possible it might even work if you turn the hot water on the faucet and leave it under for that long, then test the joint, then try again if it's still not loosened enough.

Other ways of loosening joints are to stick the figure in the freezer for like an hour, which makes the plastic brittle and on a completely stuck joint will sometimes just pop loose, but it doesn't always work, and depending on the type of the plastic it can just break, so be careful. You can also try a hair dryer, but you need to be real careful with that because it's easy to accidentally melt the plastic with that.

If you don't want to risk anything you can also try to use some baby oil to get it into the joints to loosen them that way. It's usually easier to try the other methods though.

I got an illidian, he is quite nice. He's sitting in my not-skyrim fantasy collection with garrak windspear and king thor.

I am looking forward to the stitches and arthas. Tyrael looks good as well but I don't have nearly the attachment to diablo as I do Warcraft (and to a lesser degree StarCraft). Hopefully they continue this line because I want an anub'arak figure although I doubt it will ever happen.

As a follow-up I finally had the chance to work with the nova figure. Ended up with the hot water route and now I can swap the hands! However it had the side effect of negatively impacting one of the joints, specifically the right elbow. Since the figure is designed for her to hold the sniper rifle in her right hand it now sometimes flops due to the weight and spins her arm to an awkward angle. Overall it was mostly successful I think for my first venture into this process, just need to be careful posing her going forward.

This discussion has been closed.