As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE STEAM SALE CANNOT BE STOPPED. UPDATE: IT STOPPED.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The more times Shodan is defeated, the less credible she is as a villain. I think System Shock has been done.

also this is correct

she never really "dies" in 1, and the means by which you defeat her and her subsequent escape lead perfectly into 2

she is straight up ganked in 2, and any way of bringing her back would just be stretching it

Couldn't a System Shock 3 just not have Shodan in it? I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how that story would go and I don't know if it would or could tie directly into the two previous games, but I'm sure someone could come up with something.

Now you're a woman cyborg facing the new AI menace, BRODAN

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Hey that Hitman game's not coming out in December anymore

Now it's...March-ish?
    This is probably for the best

The way they were talking about it it seemed like it was gonna launch with a very small amount of content and then be bolstered over the next few months

This way hopefully it launches with a decent chunk of game

CYpGAPn.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    SS2 ending cutscene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5lersdVKFQ

Shodan is already infecting Rebecca, who's on the way back to the Von Braun. Also according to Levine, this cutscene was not how they wanted the game to end at all, but by the time they were given the final cutscene assets it was too late to go back and change it.

The last few seconds definitely imply there's more story to be told, but yeah at this point continuing with Shodan as a credible villain would require some amazing writing.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The more times Shodan is defeated, the less credible she is as a villain. I think System Shock has been done.

also this is correct

she never really "dies" in 1, and the means by which you defeat her and her subsequent escape lead perfectly into 2

she is straight up ganked in 2, and any way of bringing her back would just be stretching it

Couldn't a System Shock 3 just not have Shodan in it? I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how that story would go and I don't know if it would or could tie directly into the two previous games, but I'm sure someone could come up with something.

Now you're a woman cyborg facing the new AI menace, BRODAN

"Look at you, brah. A pathetic brosis of Jager and Natty Light. Panting and sweating as you run through my frat house"

JtgVX0H.png
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Or find a different angle, not just humans-are-insects killing frenzy (although I do appreciate that). Something something self-aware, wanting to be free. You know, cyberpunk AI stuff.
    I'd even prefer the 'threat' aspect of Shodan (or who/whatever) scaled down a bit. Doesn't have to be the fate of humanity/the galaxy all the time.

e: What I'm saying is, gimme Neuromancer: The Game already

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Or find a different angle, not just humans-are-insects killing frenzy (although I do appreciate that). Something something self-aware, wanting to be free. You know, cyberpunk AI stuff.
    I'd even prefer the 'threat' aspect of Shodan (or who/whatever) scaled down a bit. Doesn't have to be the fate of humanity/the galaxy all the time.

I don't know if you've still got the ingredients for a horror game there, because now you're just describing Deus Ex and Portal

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

I don't know the story because I want to go in as fresh as possible, but I suspect Frictional's SOMA might tick some of these boxes.

forumsig.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Now it's...March-ish?

The way they were talking about it it seemed like it was gonna launch with a very small amount of content and then be bolstered over the next few months

I thought that weird release schedule was how they were getting around delaying the game

But oh well, I'm hopeful enough for this new Hitman that they can have whatever time they need

Besides, it's not like the next few months are going to be lacking for games to play

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Of course you do. Set in a cyberpunk megacorps building, you're there to jack some data, shit goes sideways, the AI takes control, perceives you as a threat at first, etc etc
    a horror setting could easily be furnished around these ideas.
    I mean, you had 2 AIs in SS2 already, or rather an autonomous security system that could try to stop intruders / the rampant AI, so there are definitely possibilities to be explored there as well

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Hey, high-profile Kickstarter devs. Can you not? Please? Comcept, looking at you too.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

darleysam wrote: »

I don't know the story because I want to go in as fresh as possible, but I suspect Frictional's SOMA might tick some of these boxes.

Probably.
    I'm excited for SOMA

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

Probably.
    I'm excited for SOMA

It's been released today and I might avoid this thread until I finish it

I...need to wrap up MGS5 before I think about getting SOMA, so
    that
    could take a while

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    that
    could take a while

WHO HAS SUCH A LUST FOR COMPLETING VIDEO GAMES

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I think Dead Space was a better successor, plus it had spiritual stuff too

dead space had basically nothing to do with system shock at all except for the convergence kinda being like The Many sorta but not really

dead space was an Alien analogue

Dead space had ghosts, tech, audio logs, a twist, limited ammo, a Rickenbacker-like, abstract boss battle, two survivors that are one step ahead of you, the best weapon is yellow, etc

so it was a survival horror game is what you're saying
    ...how is System Shock 2 not survival horror?

sig.gif
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't even know what you people are arguing about any more.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Dead Space was more of a spiritual successor to System Shock than Bioshock was. The first game, anyway. And System Shock had fewer boss fights

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Sorce wrote: »

dead space had basically nothing to do with system shock at all except for the convergence kinda being like The Many sorta but not really

Dead space had ghosts, tech, audio logs, a twist, limited ammo, a Rickenbacker-like, abstract boss battle, two survivors that are one step ahead of you, the best weapon is yellow, etc

Once you have a moderate amount of familiarity with the game mechanics, you're too badass for the game to really count as survival horror.

cB557 on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Now it's...March-ish?

I thought that weird release schedule was how they were getting around delaying the game

But oh well, I'm hopeful enough for this new Hitman that they can have whatever time they need

Besides, it's not like the next few months are going to be lacking for games to play

It was already going to be packed IN December

Hitman was going to come out the week after Just Cause 3 and the new Xenoblade

6F32U1X.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    To be fair I doubt the overlap between Xenoblade and Hitman fans isn't a super huge one

CYpGAPn.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Crossposting from G&T but Dying Light + season pass is $40 on steam right now. Thoughts?

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Great game. I never played any of the DLC, though, so I can't comment on that.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Of course you do. Set in a cyberpunk megacorps building, you're there to jack some data, shit goes sideways, the AI takes control, perceives you as a threat at first, etc etc
    I mean, you had 2 AIs in SS2 already, or rather an autonomous security system that could try to stop intruders / the rampant AI, so there are definitely possibilities to be explored there as well

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter because you have good ideas

JtgVX0H.png
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

I thought it was totally an actual fact that the Dead Space developers started work on System Shock 3 but due to the rights issues had to make it into something else.

Pretend edit: looking into it it seems that this was more of a rumour than a fact. Maybe not even enough to qualify as a rumour.

that
    could take a while

WHO HAS SUCH A LUST FOR COMPLETING VIDEO GAMES

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Let me tell you about Assassins Creed 2-4. About feathers, fragments and treasures.

My patron saint is Vinny Caravella

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter because you have good ideas

<3

Seriously though, it's cyberpunk story beats 101, just pulled that out of thin air. Now imagine what actually competent writers could do with shit like that \o/

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Playing AC3 since it's part of my ever growing backlog and some kids ask me to beat up some merchants so they won't starve. Of course, the parameters stated by the mission say that I can only use my fists so I switch over ...

and Ratonhnhaké:ton promptly proceeds to stealth kill both merchants by snapping their necks in broad daylight instead of just, you know, punching them. I'm sure nothing bad will come of it.

Update: Helping out a farmer with his tomato garden isn't high on my list of heroic deeds, but at the end of the timed event, I noticed that more and more soldiers kept stopping by and trying to start some shit. So, the bodies started to pile up and I kept questioning the mentality of even high level guards approaching me to put an end to my murder spree. Do they not see all of the fertilizer I have strewn about this poor citizen's hobby garden? Do they think that, yes, *they* are the hero who will save the day?

No, Redcoat, you are not the one who brings down The Ratonhnhaké:ton.

Darth Waiter on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    You should be able to buy a farm in Skyrim, not a big house, just a farm with cows and a little cottage close to Whiterun.

Also I now have a child, I'm loading her up with daggers. Go forth tiny assassin.

Liiya on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Humble Bundle update
    The current Total War bundle now also gives you the Shogun 2 Collection and the Napoleon Collection if you beat the average price. That's a LOT of war.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Humble Bundle update
    The current Total War bundle now also gives you the Shogun 2 Collection and the Napoleon Collection if you beat the average price. That's a LOT of war.

That's really more of those games than I need.

Like I might play whatever the most polished one is?

Was that Shogun 2? I know Rome 2 had issues.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    You should be able to buy a farm in Skyrim, not a big house, just a farm with cows and a little cottage close to Whiterun.

Also I now have a child, I'm loading her up with daggers. Go forth tiny assassin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ1DhwQU48w

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ1DhwQU48w

AHHHHHHH!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    mods to the rescue!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Okay, serious question now; how long until someone convinces someone else to license out the System Shock rights and just flat out make a new System Shock game (not a spiritual successor)

this is a bit late (and may have already been answered) but

the rights to the entire franchise are owned by Night Dive Studios as of ... about a month ago

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Once you have a moderate amount of familiarity with the game mechanics, you're too badass for the game to really count as survival horror.
    That argument works for any game though.

sig.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

for the record I was saying it was a survival horror

all of those things paladin listed are staples in most survival games

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

I disagree
    Lotta horror types make you totally worthless in any confrontation

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    I think a key feature of good survival horror is that you can't really fight the monsters. Your chief mechanics should be focused on hiding and or escaping.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I think a key feature of good survival horror is that you can't really fight the monsters. Your chief mechanics should be focused on hiding and or escaping.

wildly disagree

both styles have merit

wildly disagree

both styles have merit

I think that's a key part of the survival part. Other horror games are fine too, but I hesitate to think of it as survival horror.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

wildly disagree

both styles have merit

I think that's a key part of the survival part. Other horror games are fine too, but I hesitate to think of it as survival horror.

dead space, RE2, ss2, fatal frame?

all of them give you more supplies than you'd ever need and are all considered some of the best survival horror games ever made

This discussion has been closed.