As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Golden Key International Honour Society ?

VirumVirum Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I received an email saying:

"It is our distinct honor to inform you that your outstanding academic achievement, to date, at California State University, Northridge places you in the top 15% of your class. We are pleased to recognize your accomplishment and congratulate you on your outstanding performance.

blah blah blah Please RSVP and join. Oh yeah there is a fee of 70 bucks"

Supposedly I will get access to some exclusive scholarships, but I am not convinced this is worth it. Is anybody familiar about this society?

Virum on

• TashTash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's crap. I got that too and really, it's not worth it at all. At least from what I've heard.

Tash on
  • BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well all those honor societies have those fees. Golden Key is a well known non-profit legit one. It looks good on a resume, and they do have programs to help you find jobs after colleges, they'll help in resume distributing and finding places, for example, as well as their scholarships though I wasn't asked to join until my last semester and found a job on my own immediately after graduation.

BlochWave on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I doubt employers will be impressed with a line on your resume saying you paid money to get into a society that's supposed to look good on your resume. There's the GPA component, but any employer that cares will ask you for your GPA anyway.

Smasher on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    California has CSF (California Scholastic Foundation) and there's also NHS (National Honors Society) which don't require money for membership (well, I think CSF asks for a few bucks now that I think of it).

I wouldn't drop 70 bucks for that, though. Especially not from an e-mail.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    1. It's a nice line on the resume.
    2. Pay the $70 the first time and then don't renew.
    3. Yes, they all charge, but once you're in they usually can't kick you out for nonpayment. You just become an "inactive member."
    4. Yes, it does feel a little scammy, but the organizations are legitimate.

DrFrylock on
    edited October 2007
    Yah I mean I'm TELLING you it's legit, you can google it if you want, or wiki it

Giving your GPA is sweet but a 3.5 at one school might be top 15% when it's not at another. It'd be better if it's top 15% of your major, which it isn't, but it's better than nothing. I assume I shouldn't have put my outstanding physics major award(Which was specifically awarded only for academic achievements) because it's also reflected by my GPA?

The thing about applying for jobs out of college is that everyone's resume is basically the same. No real applicable work experience, maybe some internships, emphasis on the education with GPAs all close enough and from different schools so directly comparing them isn't fair. If it's a job lots of people are gonna want, it's a job lots of people will apply for and ANYTHING that makes your resume stand out(that doesn't make it too long or full of shit)is well worth it. Keep in mind you aren't gonna be applying for jobs no one else wants, and you will very likely be directly compared to other people and it will very possibly be a close and hard decision for the hiring managers. Make sure you can tie a tie, don't spill an offered beverage, and if you make dirty jokes when nervous QUELL IT

BlochWave on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok, thanks for the info.

My GPA is 3.96 right now.

I'm majoring in CTVA and Art so I have a feeling it doesn't really matter for me because places hiring for those care more about my portfolio than those honor society things right?

Virum on
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I'm a Golden Key member. I think I remember that it's a once-off fee only, and then you're in for life?

Anyway, I call them the International Backpatters society, since it seems thats mostly what they do... Pat each other on the back for being the smart kids :p. But apparently it is something that can stand out on a resume (depending on employer, of course), and I know that in Aus they have a partnership with some firms that can offer internships and scholarships and stuff like that, so...

Your call whether it's worth it or not.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    scaaaaaaaaam

for me anyway. apparently its okay for business majors.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    if you're at 3.96 GPA, you should be eligible for phi beta kappa, which is actually legit..

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    edited October 2007
    oh for the love of god guys, I don't care whether or not you join it, like it, or give a crap, but let's at least pretend we didn't completely ignore my posts(although that's technically impossible >_> You wouldn't know what you were pretending you didn't ignore! But I digress)
    The Golden Key International Honour Society is an Atlanta, Georgia-based non-profit organization founded in 1977 to recognise academic achievement among college and university students in all disciplines. The Society currently has nearly 350 chapters at colleges and universities in seven countries: Australia, Canada, Malaysia, New Zealand, South Africa, United Arab Emirates and the United States. In reference to its international presence, the Society chooses to use the spelling "honour" despite its American origins. Golden Key International Honour Society is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies -- the nation's only certifying agency for college and university honor societies. A recent ACHS report revealed that no other honor society provides more tangible benefits and services to its members than does Golden Key.[citation needed]

The top 15% of undergraduate juniors and seniors at a given college or university are invited to join.[1]

The society offers more than $400,000 annually in scholarships and awards to its members, along with a variety of other opportunities, both academic and career.[citation needed]

In 2007, Golden Key will celebrate its 30th anniversary.

BlochWave on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's legit. Back when I was in school (i don't know if it still exists) we had this "who's who" thing which was essentially the same thing. You were invited to join for almost nothing, but you had to pay like $100 for the yearbook, which was the hook.

Like everyone else is saying though, it looks good on a resume to show you were devoted in school, and it might just make the difference if the competition for a job is stiff. I think it's worth the $70, just don't buy a plaque or anything that they might try to sell you.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The people who read these resumes understand perfectly well that you paid to have a resume line that repeats your GPA. If your resume is good, adding this one line wont make a difference. If your resume is weak, the reviewer will know you paid just to try and look good, and it wont make a difference. The money can be better spent becoming a member of the Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, or some other charity that shows character and can also be listed on a resume.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    ^ this. Also, 'all disciplines' doesn't pan out. Checking their website shows its clearly dominated by business majors and some engineers. There's really nothing available in terms of useful networking for anyone not in those disciplines, and I'm willing to make a guess that the group dynamics in this society are going to be similar to Mensa. You know what mensans are like...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    You know what mensans are like...

All of us?

Fuck, I took the test on a dare back in my freshman year of high school and my grandparents are so proud of me being in it that I don't have to pay a cent, they pay it every Christmas because they know I won't. It's fun to carry the card in my wallet for whenever somebody assumes I'm just a stupid stoner.

Although, to be fair, the letters section in every month's Mensa Bulliten makes me question the link between intelligence and the ability to get into Mensa. I'm just good at taking tests.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Alright guys, thanks. I don't think I will join. Thank you for all the info.

Virum on