As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE STEAM SALE CANNOT BE STOPPED. UPDATE: IT STOPPED.

19495969798100»

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I think a key feature of good survival horror is that you can't really fight the monsters. Your chief mechanics should be focused on hiding and or escaping.

wildly disagree

both styles have merit

I think that's a key part of the survival part. Other horror games are fine too, but I hesitate to think of it as survival horror.

dead space, RE2, ss2, fatal frame?

all of them give you more supplies than you'd ever need and are all considered some of the best survival horror games ever made

Also while RE4 doesn't drown you in bullets, it's not exactly stingy, either.

IKknkhU.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    defenseless horror is an extremely modern stylistic choice

liEt3nH.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    defenseless horror is an extremely modern stylistic choice

I don't think that's true, lots of old horror movies are based on the monster being so overwhelmingly tough that the protagonists have no choice but to flee. RE1, one of the earliest of the modern horror game genre, is also in that style.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    except for your gun

liEt3nH.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    in RE1 they do the ammo scarcity thing, so you can fight a few monsters, but you won't have enough ammo to fight everything

BahamutZERO.gif
    that is still very different than the "you cannot defend yourself at any point" modern horror game

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.