As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Final Fantasy 12 Together - Week 12. Bahamut.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Finished the Subterra and Shadowseer stuff. Now I'm down to...still two hunts. I COMPLETELY FORGOT about the Behemoth King. Reading how you spawn him it may be because I just blocked it out of my memory.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Welcome to the Community Playthrough of Final Fantasy 12: For Grownups
    *snip*

The fight for Dalmasca's independence begins now!

This is a really great idea, it's like book club for video games, and I hope to see more stuff like this in SE! Not sure why I didn't see this until now, but I'm about to read the whole dang thread!

sarukun on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    It was super fun. Thank you for putting it together, @Wyborn and @Silverwind !

Behemoth King down! What a bitch of a fight, having to switch gambits constantly. Not to mention faulty info. "After Behemoth King uses Growing Threat a Quickening chain, if the player can do one long enough, can kill him quickly at this point." it says. You know how much damage a quickening chain does when the physical shield is up?

0 damage.

After that, my main party wiped and though I was able to revive them with the backup squad, it was looking like I was going to be stuck there until I decided to burn a Megalixir to push through the last bit of damage.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I finished it! Sadly I did even less optional side-stuff than I intended, but the fact that I managed to finish a hundred-hour RPG at all in this day and age is a pretty big deal.

For a minute I thought that maybe Venat had planned for Vayne to die all along, but it's probably more likely that he was just fine with whatever at that point. It would be out of character for him to have private schemes for the fate of the mortals after the Sun-Cryst was destroyed, and he obviously didn't see Vayne as a pawn to be disposed of since he chose to show solidarity by dying with him in the end.

I liked the scene where Venat blocked Vaan from pursuing Vayne, stared at him for a minute, and then was just sort of all, "Meh, good enough" and let him through.

It's really impressive how much character development was wrung out of Venat in such a tiny amount of time.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    "For your ascendance, Vayne, I offer prayer. May you attain all that which is your due."

I think Venat started with the goal of freeing the world from Occurian control, by whatever means available. Hence her allying with Cid, one of the only people to make it to Giruvegan, even though Cid is the kind of guy to insist on testing out a nuke on a city to see what it can do. Developing a counter to the deifacted nethicite was that essential in order to oppose what the Occuria were going to arm their chosen with.

And hence her allying with Vayne, a political force strong enough to crush the Occuria's chosen, despite his own goals of becoming the new Dynast-king, and his taking over two kingdoms and setting up a giant sky-fortress in the process.

But I totally agree, by the time the Sun-Cryst was destroyed, Venat was still planning 'big picture'. She had much more room to maneuver, but through her words you can see she's happily wrapping up all the loose threads and the excess changes to the world she caused. Also, her dying with Vayne is one last message to the rest of the Occuria: mortals can kill the 'Undying', so they better not try anything else.

So the Occuria will hide in Giruvegan forever, sitting on their leftover horde of nukes, terrified of ever interfering again.

(S.. so good. <3)

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Welcome to the Community Playthrough of Final Fantasy 12: For Grownups
    *snip*

The fight for Dalmasca's independence begins now!

This is a really great idea, it's like book club for video games, and I hope to see more stuff like this in SE! Not sure why I didn't see this until now, but I'm about to read the whole dang thread!

Hmmm

I like the idea of an SE++ Game Club

What should we play next. @turtleant mentioned FF5, I think? Should we do a similar thing for that? Hrm

dN0T6ur.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Tactics might be good, since it's a little deeper and is widely available. I even have it on my phone!

I'm not sure how well FF5 would work. This format seems like it works best for games that are plot-dense and inspire a lot of analysis and speculation, and I'm not convinced FF5 could support that.

Selfishly I'm tempted to push for FF8, just because I want an excuse to play it. It also has the advantage of being on Steam, so pretty much anyone could get in on it. But we'd need a big FF8 advocate on the forum for it to work the way we had Wyborn and Silverwind hyping up the best stuff in FF12, since a lot of people seem to not be inclined to like it very much.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »
    Tactics might be good, since it's a little deeper and is widely available. I even have it on my phone!

Oh god if there's anything that'd pull me away from Bloodborne, it'd be Tactics. Loved that game to death back in the day.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Doesn't even have to be a Final Fantasy game to be honest. Plenty of RPG's to select from that fit the profile.

Yeah it doesn't have to be a Final Fantasy game, or even an RPG! It can be just about anything. If you guys want to do a community playthrough of Shadow of the Colossus or The Last of Us or Halo god damn 2 I'll try to facilitate

dN0T6ur.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Yeah it doesn't have to be a Final Fantasy game, or even an RPG! It can be just about anything. If you guys want to do a community playthrough of Shadow of the Colossus or The Last of Us or Halo god damn 2 I'll try to facilitate

How about the Marathon series?

It's available free for download, there's plenty of maps available to help deal with the old school game bullshit, and I'm willing to go to bat on what's interesting if no-one else will.

I mean, it's a series of 90s FPSs, so that could be a problem for some people, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I'll put up Wolfenstein TNO, if only because apparently it's got a good plot and I haven't played it yet.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Halo 1

I'd certainly be interested in seeing people's reactions to Spec Ops: The Line.

edited September 2015
    i think it'd be interesting to dive a little deeper if at all possible

look at something with big historical impact that doesn't necessarily light the world on fire anymore

I was planning on trying to play through ICO again if/when I picked up a ps3 again, for example

EDIT: Nevermind I know exactly what I'm going to pitch, I just need to get my computer out of storage

WeedLordVegeta on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I think it might be hard to figure out a good schedule for shorter games like Spec Ops or such without each week feeling to short.

Like, I finished Spec Ops in about 3 play sessions.
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I'm not sure how well FF5 would work. This format seems like it works best for games that are plot-dense and inspire a lot of analysis and speculation, and I'm not convinced FF5 could support that.

Selfishly I'm tempted to push for FF8, just because I want an excuse to play it. It also has the advantage of being on Steam, so pretty much anyone could get in on it. But we'd need a big FF8 advocate on the forum for it to work the way we had Wyborn and Silverwind hyping up the best stuff in FF12, since a lot of people seem to not be inclined to like it very much.

I personally think what FF5 lacks in plot it would make up for in the number of ways people can build there party. Especially if more than a few people do Four Job Fiestas.

I love FF8 to death, and would be down for a play through, though I'd probably sit out the first disc cause I just played that about 2 months ago. But I don't really go in for deep plot analysis and 8's plot, while complex, isn't really deep, you know?

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    8's plot is not all that complex in my opinion. Simple and shallow.

I'm actually going to see if this crappy laptop can run this game

if it can, I'm going to start drafting up a schedule for a community playthrough of Thief: Deadly Shadows

I was thinking I'd make a poll

dN0T6ur.png
    edited September 2015
    If we wanted a multi-week game (oh boy would it be), I was staring at the game this game's demo was packed in with: Dragon Quest VIII.

But I imagine some people might not want another multi-month game. Honestly, DQ8 could take 4-5 months rather than the 3 this one did.

Ilpala on
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    edited September 2015
    OK so right now for poll candidates we have

Tactics
    FF5
    FF8
    Marathon
    Wolfenstein The New Order
    Halo 1 (?)
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Dragon Quest 8
    Other (write-in)

Does that look like a list?

Looking at it I think I'm leaning toward Tactics - partially because it's Matsuno, partially because it's easily accessible, partially because I've never played it - but does this list of options look like a good poll for the SE++ Game Club?

Didge and steak, I might ask the two of you to draw up a schedule if FFT wins out (and maybe act as the hype people - or would you guys want to run the thread this time? Hrm)

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    edited September 2015
    If FFT wins the OP is going to need KEEP MULTIPLE SAVE FILES in big flashing letters at the top.

Otherwise there's liable to be several very unhappy campers in week 5 or 6.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    Does FFT have big Matsuno-style choice consequences? I love those

NO MULTIPLE SAVE FILES ALLOWED

dN0T6ur.png

No.

FFT has a mission where there is a very good chance you will go into it with a build that makes in near impossible to beat.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Just to warn ya'll

I'm gonna be pulling real hard for Thief: Deadly Shadows

Especially 'cuz I'll eventually have yet another excuse to link a fantastic critical analysis piece by Keiron Gillen

IKknkhU.gif
    yeah Deadly Shadows is a game we could do in like half the time of FF12 as a palate cleanser, but even though it's a short game, even though it's not as BIG a game, there's still so much to talk about

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Yeah that's a bad idea

There are multiple fights where one bleeds into the other without chance for additional leveling up or buying of resources, and allows saving between battle 1 and battle 2. If you save after battle 1, but can't beat battle 2 (which is entirely possible due to the nature of the encounter) you could hit an incredible roadblock that would all but force you to abandon the save file altogether and start a completely new game

Javen on
    FFT also has permadeath, which is another great reason to keep on top of your saves.

That's actually the reason I never got more than half way through FFT. I fucking hate permadeath.

X22wmuF.jpg
    oh my god guys what if we all play sonic adventure 2

Fucking hell yeah!

X22wmuF.jpg
    mandatory chao garden updates

edited September 2015
    Actually I'm going to change my vote to a game I started but never beat and mean to go back to.

Wonderful 101.

Deep story? Nah. Just rad as hell.

It being a Wii U only title probably hurts its chances though.

Ilpala on
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    turtleant wrote: »

No.

FFT has a mission where there is a very good chance you will go into it with a build that makes in near impossible to beat.
    Javen wrote: »

Yeah that's a bad idea

There are multiple fights where one bleeds into the other without chance for additional leveling up or buying of resources, and allows saving between battle 1 and battle 2. If you save after battle 1, but can't beat battle 2 (which is entirely possible due to the nature of the encounter) you could hit an incredible roadblock that would all but force you to abandon the save file altogether and start a completely new game

This sounds terrible

Marking down those missions would need to be part of the schedule, then

dN0T6ur.png
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Something with chapters/missions would be pretty easy to translate into weeks! A Fire Emblem game, for instance.

But hey, even after a game is selected by polling, we could always move to the next most popular pick for the next play along. :D

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    oh my god guys what if we all play sonic adventure 2
    I would be all about this. I have some nostalgia for the Gamecube version, but I just watched the Game Grumps playthrough of SA1 (which I never played) and it's SUPER TERRIBLE, so now I'm wondering if the sequel even remotely holds up. But sadly it didn't make it onto the poll.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

No.

Javen wrote: »

Yeah that's a bad idea

This sounds terrible

Marking down those missions would need to be part of the schedule, then

Yeah, its pretty easy to give non-spoilery notifications to 'hey, this is the part where you should make a save backup before starting the battle'. I'm trying to remember where they are, I think its the end of chapter 3 and midway through chapter 4 are the double battles without getting a chance to go back out to the world map.

I remember I got so stuck on the chapter 3 one I went out and bought the strategy guide (which ended up being no help) and spent a few days messing around rebuilding Ramza until finding a job/skill combo that carried me through the fight.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    The other one would be warning about permanently missable items and skills (Escutcheon, Ultima).