As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spooning arm placement

Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright so I'm having some trouble with my girlfriend of about 6 months with our sleeping situation. The "spooning"(we call it "butt to penis") is popular but lately its been a problem for me. We always sleep in such a way that I need to lay on my left side to do it, so my left arm is underneath my body. Now, I'm divorced, and with my ex-wife, I would put that arm under her pillow, straight out in front of me. But this girlfriend I have now doesn't like that, she says it makes her head tilt weird and she can't sleep.
I've tried ever other place for that arm that I can think of but everywhere either makes it fall directly asleep, or makes it feel like I'm giving myself a rotator cuff injury in that shoulder.
Does anyone have any tips on what to do with this arm?
lately I've just been taking the hit and letting it fall right asleep and then trying to follow it into slumber that hasn't been working so well.
Do I have another, unexplored option?

Captain Cthulhu on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Peck on the cheek, "G'night, Sweety," and roll over. I rarely get to sleep in the spooning position and it's no big deal - it's just not the most comfortable option a majority of the time. I'll generally spend a bit of time with my pillow against my girlfriend's back, with my left arm up under my head, and if I'm dead tired I'll sleep, but if not there's nothing wrong with finding your own position.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, when me and my girlfriend started living together, I quickly realized that spooning wasn't an every night option because of that left arm placement. If you can't shoot it under her pillow, try bringing it up by your head to make a pillow of sorts out of it (hand near the back of your neck, elbow facing front).

Seriously, a larger bed and goodnight/rollover works like gangbusters, though.

Didn't a Kevin Smith movie address this somehow? I'm almost sure Jason Lee talked about it.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:
    Yeah, when me and my girlfriend started living together, I quickly realized that spooning wasn't an every night option because of that left arm placement. If you can't shoot it under her pillow, try bringing it up by your head to make a pillow of sorts out of it (hand near the back of your neck, elbow facing front).

Seriously, a larger bed and goodnight/rollover works like gangbusters, though.

Didn't a Kevin Smith movie address this somehow? I'm almost sure Jason Lee talked about it.
    Mallrats. :D

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I usually just hold her. Screw spooning an arm under her head and over her waist works for me.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, when me and my girl spoon we usually do it one of two ways (unless she falls asleep before I get to comfort placement opportunity).

Either we spoon like you and your girl do, except I use my left arm as her pillow (with me not quite flush against her, but her head cradled near my shoulder kind of). This works well since most of the pressure from her is not actually on my arm (edge of pillow on slightly on arm so as not to have to peel her cheek off thew skin on my arm later).

Or we do a reverse of that you do. Basically I'm facing away from her and she's spooned against my back with her arm tucked under my pillow.

Either way the non bed facing arm is free to be wherever as it has free reign. I usually have it draped over her waist or on her thigh in the first example, and generally hold her hand that is draped over me in the second example.

There isn't really any "right" way to spoon, but I find it very comfortable most nights. There are only a few occasions when we don't wind up in that position or some variation of it.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    stop calling it "butt to penis". It's called "coochy", damnit

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My wife and I have a California King Size bed soley for the purpose that I grew up HATING to have anything touching me when I'm trying to go to sleep, and her wanting to curl up in a ball and stick her butt out onto my side of the bed. :lol:

I'll cuddle with her until she falls asleep (read: 5 minutes tops) and then I roll her over and go to sleep.

I think it all stems from having to share a bed with my brother whenever we would go visit relatives. We'd get into fist fights over whose side of the bed was whose.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Heir wrote:
    cuddle with her until she falls asleep (read: 5 minutes tops) and then [...] roll her over and go to sleep.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2006
    Cuddle her however you want, and if she says anything slap her round the head and say "shut up bitch, this is how I roll"

Maybe you could roll over then, that'd be funny.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.