As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Heroes of the Storm] Lt. Morales (Medic) Coming Soon! Plus Vulture Mount!

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    MMMig wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Hyper competitive is not mutually exclusive with not freaking out over things you can't control.

The game has feeders. The game has sore losers 1 min into the game. The game has some of the most toxic shitholes of any online game genre. It happens. It's part of the game.

If coming across those things makes you want to rage out, then maybe a MOBA ain't your thang?

, you're not new to the game. I don't get why suddenly coming across this was the straw? I mean, you're known for raging hardcore every single day about the game... but to quit? I dunno.

Because the MM has never been this bad. I've never had problems like my last month in over a year of 95% solo queueing. And some of the problems like AFKs totally ruining a significant chunk of my games still haven't been fixed by blizzard which are beginning to drive me totally insane.

It was mostly getting a leaver penalty for blizzard's terrible reconnect system and horrible isp that pushed me over the edge though.

So you're on tilt.

It's always been as bad as it is now, but your perception is off. Come on, every day you're in here flipping out about some bad player or some feeder or some terrible build. Every. day.

Step back and think about it. It's always been the same.

No, looking at my MM and record, it's objectively worse. MMR in my games is all over the map and this month I've had more 7+ loss streaks (4!) than I've ever had. Two this week even.

Could it be possible you got reported by past allies and are in that crappy realm of getting grouped with folk who rage quit / feed, etc?

I know they said this was a thing and I don't think there's any flag to tell you you're in the toxic pool.

It would be remarkably stupid on Blizzards part if there if is no warning telling you that you are in the toxic pool.

Why's that?

Because then you have the American Prison System, a system that exist to punish instead of rehabilitate, and it just makes things worse. If there is no notice that you are in the toxic pool, then people who are placed there have no incentive to improve. All they know is they keep getting worse and worse teammates, so the rage harder.

Well, then they just stay there. And rage on each other.

Right? Incentive to improve shouldn't have to be given.

And if you want to play like a complete and utter asshole, go play with other complete and utter assholes.

Telling them exactly when they're considered as such will just let them learn how to tow the line.

Does LoL tell you when you're in the shit queue? I'm pretty sure it has one, right?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Hyper competitive is not mutually exclusive with not freaking out over things you can't control.

The game has feeders. The game has sore losers 1 min into the game. The game has some of the most toxic shitholes of any online game genre. It happens. It's part of the game.

If coming across those things makes you want to rage out, then maybe a MOBA ain't your thang?

, you're not new to the game. I don't get why suddenly coming across this was the straw? I mean, you're known for raging hardcore every single day about the game... but to quit? I dunno.

Because the MM has never been this bad. I've never had problems like my last month in over a year of 95% solo queueing. And some of the problems like AFKs totally ruining a significant chunk of my games still haven't been fixed by blizzard which are beginning to drive me totally insane.

It was mostly getting a leaver penalty for blizzard's terrible reconnect system and horrible isp that pushed me over the edge though.

So you're on tilt.

It's always been as bad as it is now, but your perception is off. Come on, every day you're in here flipping out about some bad player or some feeder or some terrible build. Every. day.

No, looking at my MM and record, it's objectively worse. MMR in my games is all over the map and this month I've had more 7+ loss streaks (4!) than I've ever had. Two this week even.

Could it be possible you got reported by past allies and are in that crappy realm of getting grouped with folk who rage quit / feed, etc?

I know they said this was a thing and I don't think there's any flag to tell you you're in the toxic pool.

It would be remarkably stupid on Blizzards part if there if is no warning telling you that you are in the toxic pool.

Why's that?

Because then you have the American Prison System, a system that exist to punish instead of rehabilitate, and it just makes things worse. If there is no notice that you are in the toxic pool, then people who are placed there have no incentive to improve. All they know is they keep getting worse and worse teammates, so the rage harder.

Telling them exactly when they're considered as such will just let them learn how to tow the line.

That... that's the point. To get them to stop acting like geese.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

So you're on tilt.

Why's that?

And if you want to play like a complete and utter asshole, go play with other complete and utter assholes.

Does LoL tell you when you're in the shit queue? I'm pretty sure it has one, right?

yeah it does

it even tells you specifically what you've done that has put you in there, what most people don't enjoy about playing with you, and suggestions to improve

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Jeffrey_'Lyte'_Lin riot straight up hired a phd in cognitive neuroscience to design their player feedback/improvement tools specifically for rehabilitation purposes

liEt3nH.png
    http://ask.fm/RiotLyte/answer/132695895746

here is a list of peer-reviewed publications made about toxicity in league of legends and their work involved, conducted by external sources and not riot games themselves

liEt3nH.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

So you're on tilt.

Why's that?

We aren't talking about a criminal justice system. We're talking about a video game. It's arguable that you have population of players who are "sucked into" a toxic culture who would normally not behave that way themselves, but meaningful research in this area is ambiguous at best. What we do know is that the vast majority of problems are caused by a tiny minority of the population, a significant portion of whom behave negatively purely because it makes them happy. In those cases, you are much better off segregating those players into their own pool so that they can be toxic to themselves and not impact the larger population. Making such information public is only going to incentivize them to find ways to "game" the system or buy more accounts and then repeat the harassment cycle.

If you lack the self-awareness to realize that you are being negative to other people, and your infractions are already made known to you in detail (which I'm sure Blizzard provides as part of their feedback system), then what other interventions would you have them make? Toxic players can't plead ignorance (I seriously doubt that they will just dump you into the asshole pool after a single minor infraction). Blizzard isn't in the business of fixing your psychological hangups, including whatever it is that is causing you to be unable to accept critical feedback.

I have absolutely no problem with people who are repeatedly being dicks getting dumped into their own special place.

Also note that skill is not synonymous with being a dick. They are two completely separate things. Getting dumped into the dbag pool does not mean that everyone you play with sucks. It means that everyone you play with treats other people like shit, regardless of whether they suck.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    After they hired that guy and in the last couple of years the level of toxicity in their community has been reported to have improved significantly...

I can say from having played LoL in beta vs a couple of years ago it was night and day...

I'd be surprised if Blizz didn't eventually implement systems that completely mirror Riots because it seems to have had a really positive effect. (Entirely anecdotal from reading reddit/LoL forums... haven't played it in a couple of years).

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited September 2015
    Actually, putting in the effort to reform players cuts down on the number of people who just make a new account and continue to harass players. It is especially ideal in a f2p game to do that (as there is no cost of entry to make a new account), because otherwise you have just created a problem that repeats itself over and over with no solution other than IP bans that potentially block out hundreds of honest customers (no way of knowing if you're hitting a private residence or a pc cafe or campus).

It's easy to condemn the people who are being negative in game and want to just be rid of them (especially because the argument comes from the thought process of "this guy frustrated me, get him the fuck out of my game"), but being rid of them isn't simple. Furthermore you run the risk of polluting the new player experience with players like that, which decreases retention in players just starting out.

e: basically it's a hard-ass problem to elegantly solve and that's why riot hired a phd instead of me, random internet person

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    e: basically it's a hard-ass problem to elegantly solve and that's why riot hired a phd instead of me, random internet person

I'm sure you would've done just fine Gnome

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    We're talking about a separate pool for toxic players, not banning them?

but if you learn you're in the toxic pool why not make a new account

liEt3nH.png
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
  • MegatinMegatin Registered User regular

Now we know the real reason behind talent gating!

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Invictus wrote: »
    5 bucks says there is a talent that lets Morales move while channeling heal beam, like Azzy. And doesn't the dropship heal people while they ride it? Thought I read that somewhere.

I actually thought that'd be baseline functionality? but maybe that's foolish, on review.

It's baseline because they wouldn't really need the "press D to deactivate" clause if you could just stop it by moving anywhere. Even while rooted a move input could cancel it.

Garthor on
    Doesn't LoL have a system of positive reinforcement? Like people can give you points for being a good sport? Maybe something like that would for hots...?

Doesn't LoL have a system of positive reinforcement? Like people can give you points for being a good sport? Maybe something like that would for hots...?

yeah the honor system, and if you get a certain amount a little ribbon appears on your loading screen portrait

liEt3nH.png
    Garthor wrote: »
    Invictus wrote: »
    5 bucks says there is a talent that lets Morales move while channeling heal beam, like Azzy. And doesn't the dropship heal people while they ride it? Thought I read that somewhere.

I actually thought that'd be baseline functionality? but maybe that's foolish, on review.

It's baseline because they wouldn't really need the "press D to deactivate" clause if you could just stop it by moving anywhere. Even while rooted a move input could cancel it.

That makes sense.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I love when people bitch about picking tyrande in hero league because 'no dps' and I out-dps them by 10k

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015

Well, a huge number of the players have some kind of investment (eitber gold, which is time, or money). I'd think it would take a decently lengthy career to build up that bad mojo.

In any event, I doubt HOTS has it, or that it's as simple as that, or else wouldn't those same people have significantly longer queue times? The pool of top spectrum toxic players has to be a low percentage, no?

10%?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

yeah the honor system, and if you get a certain amount a little ribbon appears on your loading screen portrait

i feel obligated to say that the honor system currently has nothing else to it, and there are definitely people who got ribbons who were still toxic shitholes

still, points to riot for trying

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I love when people bitch about picking tyrande in hero league because 'no dps' and I out-dps them by 10k

Tyrande is legit. Not only that, but she's not nearly as common (outside of the free cycles) as the others, so some have a harder time playing against her.

I've learned that at my level any hero is capable and every hero is vulnerable. I decided to stop complaining about pics in the HL queue a bit ago because I continue to be pleasantly surprised.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Man, good Uther games are satisfying. Talented into protective and divine shields and benediction, you have heals/protection for days. Just played a game on Spider Queen where I confirmed like six kills on people fleeing blizzards while keeping Jaina up and active.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Just played a HL game where our tyrande lost connection and was a CPU the entire game. We actually won, and just as their core is falling, she rejoins the game. We all thought it was pretty hilarious.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    attention everyone

@Invictus just had the best uther stealing boss game in recorded history. like ever. just an amaze pro steal. walking in and took their LUNCH. super props to da boss thief.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
    the good thing about dropping like 10 ranks is you get to ruin games with dps lili

Gh114ZR.jpg?1

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    This looks like the way to burn down people down with Thrall: http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/thrall#s-Ox

This looks like a way to fight mana-hunger: http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/thrall#onpt

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    trying to learn jaina

just had a long game where enemy zeratul and nova targeted me every single fight. the second I'd get hit I was dead.

what should I be doing to avoid this?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Variable wrote: »
    trying to learn jaina

just had a long game where enemy zeratul and nova targeted me every single fight. the second I'd get hit I was dead.

I'd try to stay a bit back from fights until one or both of them hit elsewhere.

Or maybe ask a tank to be your bodyguard.

Also ice block.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited September 2015
    and frost armor, always frost armor

if I'm jaina and zera is in the game I'm usually hanging back to catch him with cone before he appears, nova is a little harder to deal with though

TheStig on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    trying to learn jaina

Against double stealthies? Not much, honestly! You can talent for Ice Block and Frost Armor but it'll only help so much. They get on you and you're dead.

The answer honestly lies in having your frontline protect you, because you can't do anything about that really. You can play safe but it won't matter because double stealthies have enough burst to just 100-0 you. The rest of your team needs to be on point.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Yeah, you win by playing safe, assuming the zera and nova are constantly looking for you, good positioning can just make them waste their time. They may eventually get you but if your team is fighting 4v3 that whole time, they will probably be mopped up shortly after. You may not finish with high damage as a result, but it will help you win the game.

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Also, frost armor is a decent talent to pick against assassins

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    i don't know how many of you have played vs AI on infernal shrines but holy SHIT the ai is dumb on that map

just churning into the meat grinder

liEt3nH.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    alright thanks a lot. I definitely could have stayed back more and the couple of times I spotted the shimmer and cone'd them we blew em up pretty good

I was impatient to try and kill because I'm learning but it definitely wasn't the best approach that game

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    i don't know how many of you have played vs AI on infernal shrines but holy SHIT the ai is dumb on that map

I play it a lot but I have yet to lose it badly only two games were rough and I do mean rough

The easiest way to stay alive is to think of Jaina as a squishy melee assassin. She blows people up but has to be in their face to do it. So basically you just stay mounted all the time, wait for the hard engage and CC to kick in, and then flank in from the sides and blow someone up. Then back out, mount up, wait for cooldowns, and do it all over again. If your cooldowns are still running then you're mounted and/or staying in the back line.

The problem with dual support is you don't have enough damage

Oh wait
    ncFWffv.jpg?1

zera had low damage, but he landed really good voids and got tons of coins for us (stats in this game suck)

i mean if the squishies are being butt buddies with the support and tank, not a lot zera can do but just hang out and wait for an opportunity

liEt3nH.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    trying to learn jaina

She's squishy and unfortunately stealth and high damage exploit that something fierce. If the other team's smart they're going to be targeting you over just about anyone else too.

Generally, when I'm playing Jaina and I know the other team is gunning for me I hang further back and make them come to me, even getting them to chase me. It's not as ideal as doing burst damage but two characters chasing me up a lane are two characters not helping their team.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular

I've seen 56-0 stompfests on that map when I'm churning out dailies.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    @kedinik I used to take rolling thunder at level 1. While the mana restore wasn't all that great, the range was important in many cases (usually tagging someone running behind a wall). That being said I haven't played thrall in months. That being said, the more aggressive build you posted is what I used to generally take with maybe some swithes at 13 and 16 depending on the situation.

Has mana tide been useful? I never played pre nerf thrall so I don't know what it was like when it was supposedly crazy, but I've never bothered to try mana tide.