As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Look at that beautiful throw, courtesy of Muscle Butter™.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Lulling the aliens into a false sense of security. Look at these guns, pew pew. Ignore that grenade...

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Haha, the human worm weapons can't even touch us! Oooh! Shiny! *BOOM*

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Lulling the aliens into a false sense of security. Look at these guns, pew pew. Ignore that grenade...

One of the best things about the new A-Team movie was they were actually allowed to actually hit their targets.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    You go get 'em guys!

I'll stay here in the Skyranger and offer support!

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    r08C15k.png

Mvrck peers around the wreck and finds a row of sheds and high hedges. With a proximity grenade on the UFO door, plus another one lobbed in through the hole in the hull, it doesn't look like we'll be threatened from the east.

Yotz4AE.png

But where did that rooftop Sectoid go? It didn't drop down, or we'd have seen it. It didn't climb down the stairs, or we'd have heard doors opening inside the farmhouse.

E9nGep3.png

Confirmation Bias shifts out in front of the squad, forming a bulwark against our unseen enemy.

vYAmEKk.gif

It takes the bait. It also must have failed Sectoid marksmanship school - the snap shot veers wide of our tank, demolishing another fence post.

In response, Confirmation Bias launches a rocket into the second floor of the house. If we can't get a good firing angle while the Sectoid on the roof, maybe we can blow the roof out from under it.

K3qQ0T3.png

Alas, the explosion isn't quite powerful enough. But enough of the building has been abraded to give us a better view.

Etxz1A3.gif

When YerMum and Sir Fabulous miss the mark, Durinia steps up to claim his second kill of the campaign.

1nq8rgy.gif

Return fire from the hay field impacts harmlessly on bricks and mortar. Confirmation Bias's charmed existence continues.

thy4xEo.png

There you are, you little sneak.

Firing line! Reform!

N0s2XaJ.gif

I'm trying to boost the aim of our lower-accuracy troops by having them take more shots. Of course, they have to hit the target in order to improve. SutibunRi illustrates the inherent Catch-22 for us.

4plmpfh.gif

Stormwatcher has more luck...

KeRdrVg.gif

... but once again it's Durinia who seals the deal.

Ip2aZsK.png

So, that's it then: June's terror mission will be in Asia, and it will be conducted by Sectoids.

Many of you are probably disappointed that we're going to go six months without seeing a Chryssalid. I'm right there with you. On the other hand, I'm also glad that this rematch is going to happen.

Twice now, Sectoids have run us out of cities we swore to defend. They mind-raped Bigity. They put our Skyranger to the torch. They parked a Cyberdisc at our front door and dared us to step across the threshold. Each time, we quailed and fled.

Well, our humiliation ends this month. This one won't be about saving civilians, or placating the Council, or winning the war.

This June, in the Orient, I'm taking back my pride.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    I'm running out of room on my tiny biceps for the kill-count tatoos. Might have to move to calves...

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »
    I'm running out of room on my tiny biceps for the kill-count tatoos. Might have to move to calves...

The answer, as is the answer to all things, is to create more canvas with Muscle Butter™.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Hey Fanda, is there a reason (besides cost/resources) that I was downgraded to a rifle for this one? Seems a bit risky with damage RNG to not have everyone pack the heaviest armament they can.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Yay once again I shot a thing and I didn't die!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

You gained six strength from that mission! One more like that, and you'll be rated for heavy weapons.

Mvrck wrote: »
    Hey Fanda, is there a reason (besides cost/resources) that I was downgraded to a rifle for this one? Seems a bit risky with damage RNG to not have everyone pack the heaviest armament they can.

There were several people on that mission who were just barely strong enough for their cannons, so you were picking up their slack by carrying some HI-X. I also figured you would do more scouting and leave the shooting to them, because you're already full beefcake and don't need as much training up.

I did bring along a spare rocket launcher for everyone with a rifle, though, in case it turned out to be Mutons or Ethereals. The tank was included for the same reason.

The next mission is taking a little longer, as you might expect when killing a single alien requires the combined firepower of half our squad.

I'll get part one up ASAP, but in the meantime, here's a little preview:
    NGOyHFy.png

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    feels appropriate for that preview...
    k8g4agkh.jpg

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Fanda wrote: »

You gained six strength from that mission! One more like that, and you'll be rated for heavy weapons.

Bring on the Super-Soldier Serum Muscle Butter!

--Mark Twain
  • Options
    q8LnXSw.png

Imperial Guard Order of Battle:
    Absence of Evidence
    QuestionablySane and Iolo
    JusticeforPluto and NotoriusBEN
    Wraith260 and Velmeran
    see317 and 38thDoe
    GONG-00 and TeeMan

Of all the xeno scum befouling our galaxy, the greenskins are the most pernicious.

G18aUyS.png

What they lack in sophistication, they make up for with brutish cunning; in jungle terrain, their kommandos are almost impossible to spot when not highlighted by a targeting auspex.

8shui4L.gif

With the Emperor guiding his hand, Guardsman Iolo's heavy bolter finds its target. NotoriusBEN is likewise blessed.

mqH57M4.gif

Alas, our Manticore rocket tank is suffering a perturbation of its machine spirit.

There's no time for a techpriest to recite the litany of aiming. Where the machine spirit fails, the human spirit must prevail.

5gaA6HW.gif

QuestionablySane scorches the earth. Then, with ogryn-like strength, JusticeforPluto heaves one of our melta bombs to the feet of the enemy.

OvUuTQz.gif

Praise the Emperor.

FZwz3jx.png

Where there's one greenskin, you'll soon find a hundred more. We must purge every last one and cleanse the soil with holy prometheum so their spore cannot take root.

d8Of5vh.gif

The death world of Catachan has no denser jungle than this. Most of our firepower is blocked by the trees.

ZqCFQw3.gif

JusticeforPluto continues to prove herself a credit to the regiment.

The greenskin still stands when our guns fall silent, but quick as a ratling, Guardsman see317 scurries forward to throw a krak grenade.

dse6se9.gif

And with that, the first wave has been repulsed.

1qSuon0.png

Commander TeeMan orders the men to fix bayonets and lay a minefield in preparation for the second wave.

vffCuC5.png

Laboring feverishly under the glare of the Commissars, the men finish their work just in time.

Bcm8kgY.png

Missile team, hold them back! The Emperor's eye is upon you, Velmeran!

FiVhBEP.png

We have the beast reeling! Grenadiers, finish it!

713oEnm.png

Not enough.

OVcB5fL.png

Roaring its defiance, the greenskin vanishes into the jungle ...

xsWTZKV.png

... while another suddenly appears in our midst.

Closer and closer, the tide surges.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Orks only respect strength, you should intend to show them that we have it in ample supply.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking this one is perfect for this kind of playthrough of X-Com.

"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt."

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    That greenskin ship... is it a metal box?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxQ209gGRBo

see317 on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Yesss!

Still doming xenos with soda cans.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If I am at the back of the order, does that make TeeMan or me the unit's Commissar?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Whoever is naming the missions is just nailing it so hard.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Morningbutter, I'm not sure of the specifics of this particular doctrine but from what I know of it it's probably safest for you to stay on the DL with the "my stomach is part muscle butter-ghost now" for now

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Why?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Why?
    Well, they might kill you.
    I'm not certain that's how they'd respond, but it's a good enough chance than until we get a firm yes or no on that I figure play it safe.

• Options
    Hopefully this isn't a precursor to a full-on WAAAGH!

--Mark Twain
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Why?
    I'm not certain that's how they'd respond, but it's a good enough chance than until we get a firm yes or no on that I figure play it safe.
    For my first action I want to scream and charge the nearest alien in melee.

Don't give me anything expensive.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Forward men! The Emperor Protects!

We must Purge Holy Terra of this Xeno's filth!

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I hit it!

Praise the Emperor!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Why?

And I note you did not do that.

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Oh boy, first mission in months and I'm a rocket jockey surrounded by the greens. Lets hope I don't need to reload and fire on the same turn I moved...

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Why?

I still hold out hope. Sadly Fanda seems to have treated it as a joke.

What I'm trying to say is if you are expected safety concerns out of me you picked the wrong stomach to haunt buddy.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    QuestionablySaneQuestionablySane Registered User regular
    Woo! I'm on a mission!

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Woo! I'm on a mission!

Username is perfect.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Why?

What I'm trying to say is if you are expected safety concerns out of me you picked the wrong stomach to haunt buddy.
    You ate me.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Oh man those alt texts. This is perfect.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Why?

You ate me.

Bodies have exits. I note you have not picked any of them!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    *this is what everyone else hears when they go past the muscle butter room*

Morning Butter: Why?

*pause*

Morning Butter: If you remember, when I signed up one of the first things I said was "For my first action I want to scream and charge the nearest alien in melee. Don't give me anything expensive."

*pause, sound of chugging*

Morning Butter: I still hold out hope. Sadly Fanda seems to have treated it as a joke. What I'm trying to say is if you are expected safety concerns out of me you picked the wrong stomach to haunt buddy.

*pause, more chugging*

Morning Butter: Bodies have exits. I note you have not picked any of them!

*belch*

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Why?

You ate me.

I'm muscle butter. It's not my call, and as far as I can tell this stuff is planning on leaving your body shortly before the sun consumes the Earth. I can't figure out how you're not dead yet.

• Options
    Why?

You ate me.

I'm muscle butter. It's not my call, and as far as I can tell this stuff is planning on leaving your body shortly before the sun consumes the Earth. I can't figure out how you're not dead yet.

*thumps stomach with fist*

Guts!

• Options
    Why?

You ate me.

Guts!
    I'm not sure you have those anymore.
    You may want to get that checked out, by the way. I'm pretty sure this doctrine is okay with that sort of thing.

• Options
    Why?

You ate me.

Guts!
    I'm not sure you have those anymore.
    You may want to get that checked out, by the way. I'm pretty sure this doctrine is okay with that sort of thing.

*narrows eyes*

You sure are certain there's something wrong with me Mr Ghost. I'm onto you. Think healthy, be healthy, that's the ticket!