As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    A pretty good decision in my opinion. Merc didn't deliberately run below pressure, and the testing procedures were shown up for not taking temperature into account. I'd point out as well that technical infringements, like quite a few FIA rules, have a fairly inconsistent application. Two cases brought up quite a bit are the Ferrari bargeboards in 1999 which were ruled illegal, disqualified, appealed, cleared and changed anyway to make them legal. There's also the fuel irregularity in some of the cars in the 2007 Brazil race.

As for the race itself, well, what can be said? Hamilton basically dominated this race with a literally perfect weekend. He was fastest in all practice sessions, all qualifying sessions, led every lap in the race and nailed fastest lap while he was at it. The championship is looking close to wrapped up. That said, I'll give Rosberg a pass for this race. Old engine and having to avoid Kimi at the start pretty much screwed him over.

Was pretty gutted to see Kimi stall off the line. Would be nice to see him get just one problem free race.

Williams managed to get passed at the pit stops again. Seems to be a familiar story for them.

Some stuff developing outside of the race:

Red Bull have terminated their agreement with Renault, so will be getting a new engine supplier next season. Hope they like Honda :biggrin: . Seriously though, it isn't like there's a load of choice out there so it'll either be Ferrari or Mercedes and I still doubt either really wants to supply Red Bull other than perhaps to say they beat them with the same engine anyway (although Red Bull would doubtless find an excuse somewhere).

Seems things are cracking apart at McLaren. I've heard rumours that more sponsors are preparing to abandon ship and the drivers sound genuinely downbeat and almost looking to get out of there. It seems as though communications with Honda aren't the best at the minute either. Realistically the season for McLaren was over before the first race. Can only hope they improve significantly for next season.

And for teams in trouble, we turn to Lotus. They struggled to get to Monza and they're desperate to sort out the Renault deal before going under from the way the press spins it. It would be a pity to lose the Enstone outfit.

Finally, on the driver discussion earlier, Kimi and Massa's seats are definitely the big targets in the upcoming shuffle. Thing is, I still can't see either seat being a WDC contender. Williams seem unable to make that final breakthrough (low budget, so fair enough) and would Ferrari really let anyone challenge Vettel when it came down to it?

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Xrdd wrote: »
    Full technical delegate's report:
    On the grid and after the 5-Minutes signal the tyre starting pressure and tread surface temperature of the left hand side rear tyre were checked on car numbers 44, 06, 05 and 07 and were compared with the specifications of the official Formula One tyre supplier. The specification for the minimum starting pressure is 19.5 PSI for the dry weather rear tyres and the maximum tyre blanket temperature is 110 °C for all dry weather tyres.

The tread surface temperature of the left hand side rear tyre of car numbers 44, 06, 05 and 07 was within the specification of the official Formula One tyre supplier.

The measured minimum tyre starting pressure of the left hand side rear tyre of car numbers 05 and 07 was above the specified minimum tyre starting pressure.

The measured minimum tyre starting pressure of the left hand side rear tyre of car number 44 was 0.3 PSI below the specified minimum tyre starting pressure and the measured minimum tyre starting pressure of car number 06 was 1.1 PSI below the specified minimum tyre starting pressure.

The tyre pressures were checked with the calibrated tyre pressure gauge of the official Formula One tyre supplier on all four cars.

I am referring this matter to the stewards for their consideration.

So only the left rear was checked, the other tyres could have been below the minimum as well. Doesn't really matter what the Pirelli engineer said, if the pressure was outside the specifications it was outside the specifications and should result in a DSQ. Also, it doesn't make any sense for Pirelli to sign off on Merc running pressures below the minimum when they were the ones pushing for the introduction of the minimum in the first place.

EDIT: Stewards have reached a decision:
    tHydzdQ.png

"We didn't bother to specify when the tires had to be at a certain pressure or how you would keep them there until we measured the pressure, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

steam_sig.png
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Oh god it won't stop raining. :(

edit: wrong thread

so uh... why is it raining so much at my house but not enough in the races?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    evilbob wrote: »

And I'm sort of guessing that Singapore won't be raining either! Probably will be ridiculously hot again.

EDIT: You know, I just checked the 14-day forecast and it actually might be raining in Singapore.

Khavall on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »

And I'm sort of guessing that Singapore won't be raining either! Probably will be ridiculously hot again.

EDIT: You know, I just checked the 14-day forecast and it actually might be raining in Singapore.

I'd really like to see rain at Singapore. At least, so long as everyone comes away from the race weekend uninjured...

Wouldn't rain at Singapore just be an instant red flag? The lack of visibility would make it virtually impossible to race.

I'd be genuinely curious to see. It would definitely be forgivable to red flag it if it was that bad, though.

After Japan last year they aren't ever going to fuck around with that ever again, although those conditions were exceptionally bad with a typhoon coming in. But, of course, it is in the nature of open-wheeled cars that they kick up a lot of spray in wet weather.

The only F1 game I think that ever nailed that was Geoff Crammond's original F1GP from 1992. In the rain everything practically shifted to subtle greyscales outside of the cockpit. It was genuinely frightening to drive in. The newer F1 games give you far too much visibility in the wet, weirdly.

Remember that night visibility is already poorer (although it never seems that way on TV), to the point that drivers use clear rather than tinted visors. I can't imagine it being in any way safe if it was raining.

What would be interesting, is what they'd do if they couldn't start the race. I can't think of any occasion where the conditions have been so poor they just can't race at all. I imagine it would just be 0 points for everyone? That and a massive embarrassment of course.

No points are awarded if the race cannot be restarted and less than two laps have been completed. url="http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/Classification_Race_distance_and_Points.html"]source[/url

I can't find a record of a race that couldn't be started, but Wikipedia has a handy list of red-flagged races.

• JammersJammers Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Remember that night visibility is already poorer (although it never seems that way on TV), to the point that drivers use clear rather than tinted visors. I can't imagine it being in any way safe if it was raining.

What would be interesting, is what they'd do if they couldn't start the race. I can't think of any occasion where the conditions have been so poor they just can't race at all. I imagine it would just be 0 points for everyone? That and a massive embarrassment of course.

It's quite possible Bernie gets sued if he doesn't deliver a race; so they'd probably send the cars out for a couple of laps behind the safety car, throw a red flag and award half-points. Alternatively if the forecast is for conditions to improve they might just delay the start.

Xbox Live - Jammers007
    Nintendo Network ID - Jammers007
    3DS - 1418-6751-8378
    Steam - Jammers007
    edited September 2015
    derp. wrong thread again

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

FP2 results:
    vls5t7b.jpg?1

Look at all those different colours near the top!

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    This grid rules

edited September 2015
    Quail results, for anyone that missed it:
    QCbJVZq.jpg?1

Reddit brought up that Mercedes will usually lap cars that are 1.5 seconds down on them in Quali's.

And that Mercs are 1.4 seconds down from Vettel

Khavall on
    This should be a cracker.

Jazz wrote: »
    This should be a cracker.

It was not. Decently entertaining for a race with so little action at the front though.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

It threatened to be interesting when Hamilton was sitting in 4th and in touching distance of the front 3, but his electronics? troubles killed that one.
    What's confusing is why the Mercs were so much slower than normal. I'm biased, but I hope it isn't due to a rules change forcing higher tyre pressures.

Verstappen had a good race right up until the team orders debacle.

Another terrible weekend for McLaren. Button had some cracking radio comms though.

second safety car ruined it. locked Ricciardo into the same strategy as the Ferraris and killed any chance of Rosberg finishing strong on super softs. thanks dickhead on the track.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I got a kick out of Hamilton's post-race interview.
    Vettel had that whole race dead to rights. Hamilton talked big but considering no one, not even Rossberg, could close on Vettel means Hamilton wouldn't have either. I don't like to see retirements, but closing the gap in the driver's championship may make it more interesting.

In other news, my poor, poor McLaren team. :( That was a super depressing race.

EDIT: And the rookie! I can't remember his name, but they restarted with him stuffed in between Ricciardo and Raikonnen! What the effing hell?

Nova_C on
    It depends on when you were looking at the race. When Hamilton retired I think he was within 4 seconds of the main group and not losing time (possibly even gaining slightly). In theory with the supersofts on at the end while everyone else had to run the softs he could have posed a threat. This was before Vettel took off and left everyone else in the dust though (which he probably didn't see due to press commitments etc). Likewise the second safety car coming out too early for a final supersoft stint would have killed the plan as well.

Rossi was the guy stuck in the middle. I think they just got fed up waiting for him to pass and go around

Seeing rumours that Button is going to announce his retirement at Suzuka. Would be a pity to see him go, but the car this season and last has just been terrible.

Rossi was in the middle, his radio had malfunctioned during the safety car, so he didn't hear the order to pass. Also the Safety car is apparently supposed to show flashing green lights if it's ok to pass, and it wasn't.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    We ever get the whole story on that jackass that came on track?

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    We did! The story is that there weren't any FUCKING MARSHALS AT THE GATES

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Some interesting non-race stuff. While not totally confirmed, Grosjean is almost certain to be driving for Haas (the American team) next season. On its own, seems like it could be a step back, but a number of articles I have read have pointed out that he may be calculating it as a good move for getting a Ferrari drive in 2017. Apparently Haas and Ferrari have very close ties, and Haas will also be taking either Gutierrez or Vergne as their second driver.

I will just be happy to see Grosjean get away from the stink of having to share a team with Maldonado.

I'm genuinely surprised that Maldonado has been confirmed for Lotus next year. My understanding was that it was either a Renault buy out (and with it enough funds that Maldonado wasn't needed) or likely bust anyway. He hasn't justified his place on track at any rate.

If Lotus is going under it makes sense for Grosjean to get out but Haas is more than likely to be circling around at the back next season.

Potentially, though apparently they are buying every Ferrari part they can, and only doing the chassis and aero in house.

edited September 2015
    altid wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised that Maldonado has been confirmed for Lotus next year. My understanding was that it was either a Renault buy out (and with it enough funds that Maldonado wasn't needed) or likely bust anyway. He hasn't justified his place on track at any rate.

If Lotus is going under it makes sense for Grosjean to get out but Haas is more than likely to be circling around at the back next season.

Unfortunately, there's 30 to 40 million reasons they resigned Maldonado. Even with Renault's funds that's not exactly insignificant. And I really hope Grosjean doesn't shoot himself in the foot with Haas. If Renault do buy out Lotus I'd think that's a better option, at least short to medium term. Haas knows how to win, yes, but, then, so did Honda, once...

- - -

I'll be sad to see Button go. A sad end to a distinguished career. But between his radio comms during the race, and the interview he did with Sky, it's really starting to look like he just doesn't give a shit any more. Can't say I blame him. And now McLaren are doing the same umming and aahing with his contract they did last year... sheesh.

And once again, Mateschitz, Horner and (probably) Marko are making yet more noises equivalent to throwing all their toys out of the pram, and taking their ball and going home, if they can't more or less win on demand. I never thought I'd say this but I'm starting to feel sorry for Renault in that dissolving relationship. I'd almost want to see Ferrari go "hmm... on second thought, nope" to Red Bull's management just to see the resultant fireworks; but I really like all four of their race drivers, especially Ricciardo and Kvyat, and I'd hate for them to get buggered. Ferrari will probably just go for it, though.

Jazz on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Maldonado might not be the most winningest driver ever, but he's on a similar pace as Grosjean so he's doing the best he can with car he has. And he's a fan favorite, that gets a good amount of screen time during a race.

Past seasons most of the crashes were his fault, but this season non finishes mostly haven't been his fault, he either gets hit by others or the car is just failing.

as for Renault i'd say the blame for all the animosity between them and Red Bull is 50/50, they started the season with an engine that was somehow down on power from last year.

I'm sure Ferrari would love for every car on the grid to be using their engines, just for the marketing.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Any word on the neutral gears in the race? I think they were pretty much all from Merc-powered cars, weren't they?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Nice. Kinda want to see him in a more competitive car though, but so far Force India seem to be developing at a nice pace. Who knows what the next year will bring though.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited September 2015
    Drovek wrote: »

Nice. Kinda want to see him in a more competitive car though, but so far Force India seem to be developing at a nice pace. Who knows what the next year will bring though.

Yeah, they've definitely consolidated themselves midfield, and often in the upper reaches of it. Perez and Hulkenberg are a good fit there (although I'd like to see both in faster cars), and I have a feeling consistency will serve them well for next year. That B-spec car seems to have been a step in the right direction. Plus it looks awesome with that nose.

Jazz on
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    My tickets for the USGP arrived via FedEx today.

It's always my favorite weekend in Austin every year. I can't wait!

Hopefully you can get some awesome pics of the weekend to share with us :)

Hoo boy, some stuff from Qualis:
    Results!
    JL19tdr.jpg

Kvyat had a massive crash while everyone was on their final quail laps, so it went with how it was before the crash.

In other news:
    Kvyat will start from pit lane, as he basically is replacing the whole car
    Verstappen has a 3-place grid penalty, in Q1 he had a failure and ended up leaving the car on the racing line
    Hulk obviously has 3-place grid penalty from Singapore's crash.

jimb213 wrote: »
    My tickets for the USGP arrived via FedEx today.

It's always my favorite weekend in Austin every year. I can't wait!

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go or not. GA tickets are much cheaper than last year, but it can be a damn expensive day.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Red Bull just can't seem to get any luck when it comes to engines lately:
    http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2015/09/25/horner-red-bull-volkswagen-deal-up-in-smoke/

Hopefully they can work out something with Ferrari.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Just watched qualifying.
    Hoo boy, that was some crash.

It's starting to seem like on Q3, you gotta get out fast and get a good lap first try because something is going to mess up any second kicks at the can.

Nova_C wrote: »
    Just watched qualifying.
    Hoo boy, that was some crash.

It's starting to seem like on Q3, you gotta get out fast and get a good lap first try because something is going to mess up any second kicks at the can.
    Yah, I've often felt that leaving it until the last minute in Q3 is asking for trouble. Try and improve on your earlier run, by all means, but at least get a good banker lap in to start with, because stuff can and does happen at the end of that session fairly often.

Kvyat was a very lucky lad to walk away from that crash. Really glad he's okay.

Race:
    I've only caught the last half of it, I'll catch up with the rest later. Some good scraps in the midfield. Merc depressingly dominant again, even if Vettel was only two seconds behind Rosberg in the end.

Might have been a better race with Massa and Ricciardo around the 4th/5th stuff. Such a pity that so light a bit of contact wrecked both their races.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

This discussion has been closed.