As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2015
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    I didn't realize Darth Vader was listed as having a different ship than the other Advanced pilots, that's nuts

I guess that means there'll probably be a clarification later as to whether or not the Inquisitor's tie can take those upgrades, too?

Weird, didn't notice that either.

There is already a rule in the new book that says a ship can take an upgrade as long as its title at least contains all the requirement words.

IE "TIE Advanced Prototype" can take a title card stating "TIE Advanced only", but a "TIE Advanced" can't take a card for a "TIE Advanced Prototype only".

e:
    Page 20 for reference, it gives "TIE/fo Fighter" and "TIE Fighter only" upgrade cards as the example.

Morkath on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I started playing this a couple weeks ago and I can't stop making new lists and it's real hard to stop myself just from buying every damn thing

Yes ... Give in to your avarice ...

edited September 2015
    I think I found the perfect stand in model for a scum huge ship. It should be roughly the size of the predator, and kind of already looks like they modified another ship to add a landing platform, I can probably kit bash some other parts onto it to make it look more cobbled together.

61R0yB8645L._SL1179_.jpg

Plus it comes with something I can probably use to substitute for the slave1 model I hate!

e:
    Thinking of this stats wise for it;
    60 points

3 Pilot Skill
    2 Attack
    6 Energy
    0 Agility
    10 Hull
    5 Shields

Recover, Jam, Coordinate, Repair
    360' firing arc, 1-3 range.
    After you execute a maneuver, you may deploy/undeploy up to 2 ships.

Repair Action - May remove one facedown damage card from a docked ship per turn.

Can hold 4 small ships.

Title, Modification, Hard Point, Crew, Crew, Cargo, Cargo, Cargo, Illicit

New cards for it;
    Cargo - 2 Points - Expanded Fighter Bay - Increase ship dock limit by 1.
    Cargo - 10 Points - Improved Repair Facilities - May remove a face down damage card from two docked ships per turn. Limited.
    Cargo - 3 Points - Spare Parts - You may discard this card to instead remove a face up damage card from a ship.
    Title - 10 points - Black Sun Flagship - During your "Perform Action" step, you may perform 2 actions.

Morkath on
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Sorry, off-topic, but I had to look up that kanji:

ナスカ級打撃型航宙母艦 = Nausicaä kyuu (class) dageki (strike) kata (model/type) kouchuu (space flight) bokan (mothership). Man, how do you put all that together? Nausicaä Class Spaceflight-carrier Striker? Americans would make it into some kind of acronym like SCALARS (Spaceflight Carrier, Automated Launch And Recovery Striker). I think it's interesting too that they use 母艦 (mothership) when there is already a kanji that means carrier 空母. But I'm not familiar with the source material at all. Looks rad though. Not that Star Wars has any heart-ache about real physics in space, but why is there a long landing deck for a space carrier? And air-intakes? I guess those could scoop up hydrogen or whatever... but still...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

ナスカ級打撃型航宙母艦 = Nausicaä kyuu (class) dageki (strike) kata (model/type) kouchuu (space flight) bokan (mothership). Man, how do you put all that together? Nausicaä Class Spaceflight-carrier Striker? Americans would make it into some kind of acronym like SCALARS (Spaceflight Carrier, Automated Launch And Recovery Striker). I think it's interesting too that they use 母艦 (mothership) when there is already a kanji that means carrier 空母. But I'm not familiar with the source material at all. Looks rad though. Not that Star Wars has any heart-ache about real physics in space, but why is there a long landing deck for a space carrier? And air-intakes? I guess those could scoop up hydrogen or whatever... but still...

One Word: Anime

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The landing strip is so that the mechs can land/take off because Gundam.

edited September 2015

Nazca Class Astro Strike Carrier Kiska

All of the capital ships had "landing decks" in Star Wars, the Venator(Clone Wars) had the middle section that opened to give them a long space fly through, The Star Destroyers just had it entirely behind the exit.
    I can easily spin it in my head, that because it is an after market custom modification to a civilian cargo ship, they are using the landing deck in order to "dock" the fighters during hyperspace jumps, and to allow them to land cargo pods they have "salvaged" to bring inside for transport. The ship "wasn't originally designed" to dock fighters, so instead of trying to expand the cargo hold to give them enough room to acc/decelerate for take off and landing (which would compromise the structural integrity of the ship) they just attached a slab of metal to the top that elevators down into the hold.

Air Intakes...yeah, I am not really sure what the rationale would be in Star Wars. Atmospheric flight I guess? The X-Wing has them too on it's engines.

e:
    Cannonly, it's from Star Blazers, I don't recall there being any mechs in that. So it was literally for space planes to take off from.

Morkath on
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I could see the Star Destroyer shape working well as that sort of carrier.
    You could put a landing strip on each primary facet of the wedge.

Sokpuppet on
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Speaking of air intakes, the T-70 has these half-moon turbofan intakes... but that clearly doesn't work. I mean the fan has to rotate and it's circular. Where does the other half go?

So at my little brother's birthday party I had both the original and Force Awakens core sets set up, and was teaching a bunch of new players how to play. I expected the Force Awakens games to be have more questions because there are more options on the dials, but in both cases players were really hesitant to try out red maneuvers of any kind. We had a lot of stuff going on so I didn't get anyone to play more than two games to see a learning curve.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Speaking of air intakes, the T-70 has these half-moon turbofan intakes... but that clearly doesn't work. I mean the fan has to rotate and it's circular. Where does the other half go?

the Force did it
    I noticed that too, I'm choosing to ignore it

Shorty on
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015

So at my little brother's birthday party I had both the original and Force Awakens core sets set up, and was teaching a bunch of new players how to play. I expected the Force Awakens games to be have more questions because there are more options on the dials, but in both cases players were really hesitant to try out red maneuvers of any kind. We had a lot of stuff going on so I didn't get anyone to play more than two games to see a learning curve.

The intake doesn't have to retain the same shape as the compression/combustion section. I'm not knowledgeable on B-models but you can see what I'm talking about.

http://htfaerospace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/UH_1.png

Edit: From the side you can see the inlet and ejector tube (exhaust).

http://www.minot.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/110726-F-QY930-002.JPG

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    edited September 2015
    Fuselage wrote: »

The intake doesn't have to retain the same shape as the compression/combustion section. I'm not knowledgeable on B-models but you can see what I'm talking about.

http://htfaerospace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/UH_1.png

Edit: From the side you can see the inlet and ejector tube (exhaust).

http://www.minot.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/110726-F-QY930-002.JPG

There's no problem with the intake shape.
    The problem is that the intake fan is literally chopped in half on the new Disney X-wing.

468px-New_X-Wing.JPG

Like, there is no way someone with any sort of coherent understanding of the universe could have designed it the way it is.
    It takes that extra little step just-beyond-silly.

I guess it could've been designed that way just to confuse and annoy an adversary?

Sokpuppet on
    edited September 2015
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I have an idea: they aren't air intakes because what use is an air intake in space?

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I have an idea: they aren't air intakes because what use is an air intake in space?

Space air. Which, as we all know, is poisonous, thus requiring sealed cockpits and spacesuits.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

Space air. Which, as we all know, is poisonous, thus requiring sealed cockpits and spacesuits.

And occasionally as dense as normal air, necessitating an aerodynamic design, except when it doesn't.

For atmospheric flight?

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    There's no problem with the intake shape.
    The problem is that the intake fan is literally chopped in half on the new Disney X-wing.

Like, there is no way someone with any sort of coherent understanding of the universe could have designed it the way it is.
    It takes that extra little step just-beyond-silly.

I guess it could've been designed that way just to confuse and annoy an adversary?

The someone with no coherent understanding of the universe you're referring to is Ralph McQuarrie, the artist who came up with the concept art that created the visual direction of the original trilogy.

These 'new' X-wings are derived from the X-wing concept art he painted for the very first movie:

FSUjAig.jpg?1

FWIW, there don't seem to be any fan blades in the original.

• UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    They look like layers of metal plates but not necessarily fan blades. I'm going to chalk it up as heat sinks for the engines.

Engines, weapons, reactors, and the like must generate a lot of heat, especially in the more compact and high-performance units, and in space you need a lot of surface area to dissipate excess heat, like wings and radiator panels.

One of the things I like about Star Wars is how familiar and functional the technology appears, and yet its performance so outstrips anything our understanding of science can comprehend there's no point in speculating how it works, just what it possibly does.

hmm.gif
    swx-2015-worlds-layout.png

So jealous of that mat.
    and those dice.
    but especially that mat.

edited September 2015
    My scum huge ship proxy arrived, took about an hour to put together. Fit together really easily with no glue, only broke one piece (one of the landing pad supports, they have you put it on way earlier than you need to).

It's a little smaller than I was hoping, but should still work. I need to do some work to it, to make it more piratey and panel line it still, but got the holes drilled in the deck to hold the ship pegs.
    1rp291gyhyhu.jpg

Also been doing some 3d printing for terrain and objective vehicles, need to paint these as well;
    vz123ewm6shq.jpg

Morkath on
    Hey! TIE Tanks!

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    My scum huge ship proxy arrived, took about an hour to put together. Fit together really easily with no glue, only broke one piece (one of the landing pad supports, they have you put it on way earlier than you need to).

It's a little smaller than I was hoping, but should still work. I need to do some work to it, to make it more piratey still, but got the holes drilled in the deck to hold the ship pegs.
    1rp291gyhyhu.jpg

Also been doing some 3d printing for terrain and objective vehicles, need to paint these as well;
    vz123ewm6shq.jpg

Where are you getting those 3d models?

...I'm asking for a friend.

Thingiverse is the best site I have found for 3d models so far.

Played for the first time in months with @DaMoonRulz and Mrs. Fuselage. Our brother joined us for his introductory game.

Two Interceptors (Moon) and Kath Scarlet Johansson/Mara Jade (Wife) vs IG-88B/Z-95 (Brother) and Y-Wing/Z-95 (Me). My Leecher would have been much cooler without Moon's aces ruining my focus-juggling bid.
    kdw5lcyut6cr.jpg

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hey! TIE Tanks!

An actual in universe thing. A cheap tank that used some TIE components. Guess which :)

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    Nought wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hey! TIE Tanks!

An actual in universe thing. A cheap tank that used some TIE components. Guess which :)

IIRC, it was the pilots that washed out of flight school.
    And the ball cockpits of course.

I feel like this is a safer place than Reddit and I like all of you more than those weirdos...that I'm also one of.

Firespray vs Aggressor vs Decimator. How do they stack up in a free for all?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    In a free-for-all? hmmm

Aggressor would probably allow you to go unchecked for longer...

Fuselage wrote: »
    I feel like this is a safer place than Reddit and I like all of you more than those weirdos...that I'm also one of.
    Firespray vs Aggressor vs Decimator. How do they stack up in a free for all?
    It's nice to be liked more than Reddit. It's a good feeling.

I think it would really depend on how you had the ships set up. All three of those ships have considerable upgrade bars.
    If you're going in cheap (no upgrades lowest price pilots), I think the durability and 360 degree firing arc of the Decimator could give it a leg up, or at least make it a preferred target for the other two to gang up on.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    If I had to pick one I'd probably take the Decimator or Aggressor, the Firespray is the middle-of-the-road option there and is going to have a harder time shrugging off attacks. Its secondary attack arc isn't going to do much good against the Decimator either.

that being said with the right upgrades and even points costs, I don't think any one of them is going to be hugely outclassed by the other two, they've all got solid options.

edit: wait, actually, Rebel Captive is absurdly powerful in this scenario, I would definitely take the decimator

Daypigeon on
    edited September 2015
    Decimator; Arguably the squishiest of the three by a bit, but also probably has the highest damage output of the three by a fair margin. Basically immune to blocking tactics. Lots of crew slots.

Aggressor; Most durable of the three... except when the dice betray you. Access to all kinds of crazy tricks and arc-dodging shenanigans. Very vulnerable to getting blocked, and can only get up to PS8 with Veteran Instincts... so also vulnerable to getting arc-dodged, and probably/possibly moving first & shooting last. Has access to Autothrusters and System Upgrades.

Firespray; Usually the most reliably durable of the three, even when green dice aren't behaving. Less vulnerable to blocking & arc-dodging than the aggressor, moreso than the VT-49. Has access to the widest variety of crew and EPTs, as well as the illicit slot for Glitterstim.

In a free-for-all, I think it's really down to the dials, the dice, and the politics.
    The point budget may play a part in determining which ships & pilots & upgrades work best.

Aggressor beats Decimator beats Firespray beats Aggressor?
    But knowing that, the Aggressor will be going after the Firespray, the Firespray will be going after the Decimator, and the Decimator will be blazing away at the Aggressor. 0_0;

Sokpuppet on
    Very cool, thanks for the input. If I limit each ship to 60pts they can really throw on upgrades with impunity.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    StarWars: X-Wang
    Season 3: Return of the Wang

Season 1: Episode DIX
    Last time on Season 2: The Wang Strikes Back

What is this?
    This is an online X-Wing miniatures league for PA forum members. The goal is to have fun and play more games!

Rules
    1-50) Don't be a dick.
    51) Breaking rules 1-50 is a Bad Idea(tm)
    52) Any issues or rules disputes come through me. I'll do my best to investigate and work out the issue with involved players. (If I'm part of the dispute, someone else will have to do it)

Format
      TENTATIVE PLAN*
    • Games will be played in Vassal (if you can somehow play in meatspace, more power to you).
    • Games will be 100 points.
    • If you sign up you will be expected to play 1 game per week. Work with your opponent to figure out a time that you both can play. Exception: holiday weeks will be extended to 2-3 weeks
    • Please setup Vassal prior to your first game to get familiar with it (see Setup below).
      • Please setup your squad in Vassal prior to game start each week. This can be done by creating the squad, begin logging (File menu), select the whole squad and choosing "copy", then save the log.
      • When you are ready to bring your squad into the game, replay the log and it should pop right in
    • Since this is played online, it can take a little longer. Please try to allow at least 2 hours for your game each week (or play very aggressively ;-) )
    • At the end of the week, post the results to the thread so we can keep track of standings and the campaign at large.
    • Feel free to post exciting moments/screenshots in the thread!

Games will be played using FFG's dogfight tournament rules (here) with the following exceptions:
    1. Games will not be timed (Exception: you and your opponent both agree on a timed game; if time expires, the winner is the player who has destroyed more points than his opponent then receives a Match win)
    2. Because games will not be timed, scoring will be as follows:
      • Match win: 3 points
      • Draw: 1 point
      • Match loss: 0 points
    3. You don't have to stick to the same squad/faction each week (or submit your squads to me; I will be playing as well)
      • You will have to tell your opponent your squad before you begin (before obstacles are placed)
    4. Ships and cards are not permitted until they are officially released (Wave 7 and FA Core are legal!)
    5. You must legitimately own physical versions of any ships or cards you use, as per Fantasy Flight's rules concerning the ongoing use of Vassal to play their games

!!!! IMPORTANT: READ THIS !!!!
    Major changes from last season (Game rules/FAQ)
    • Wave 7 and Force Awakens Core are legal!
    • Original damage deck must be used. FA deck is not yet legal (this is to ensure fairness across all players)
    • Tournament rules state that each player comes to the table with 3 unique obstacle tokens (Asteroids and/or Debris clouds; can use obstacles from FA Core)
      • Both sets of 3 are added to a "pool" and those are the 6 obstacles placed in the game
      • Range rules for obstacle placement remain the same
    • TIE Phantoms no longer decloak immediately before revealing their maneuver dial.
      • They decloak at the beginning of the Activation Phase (after all other "beginning of Activation Phase" abilities)
    • Free actions can be performed while on an obstacle.
    I highly encourage you to read the FAQ for other changes.

Setup
    Setting up Vassal and the module - Follow the steps here: http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/
    Keep in mind that no cards have text, so you will need your own card text available to you (see 5 above).

Resources
    !Enlist now! (@ me in the post please)

Commanders:
    1. crimsoncoyote
    2. Sokpuppet
    3. webguy20
    4. Grunt's Ghosts
    5. Chrysis
    6. Elvenshae
    7. D0rkAngl
    8. DaMoonRulz

Standings
    t3zjdi3mdbdt.png

Schedule http://challonge.com/xwang_season3
    1st Round: Oct 5-Oct11
    crimsoncoyote - BYE
    @Fuselage - W vs. @DaMoonRulz - L
    @webguy20 - W vs. @Sokpuppet - L
    @Grunt's Ghosts - W vs. @D0rkAngl - L
    @Chrysis - L vs. @Elvenshae - W

2nd Round: Oct 12-Oct 18
    Sokpuppet - L vs. crimsoncoyote - W
    D0rkAngl - ?? vs. DaMoonRulz - ??
    Elvenshae - W vs. webguy20 - L
    Chrysis - ?? vs. Grunt's Ghosts - ??

3rd Round: Oct 19-Oct 25
    crimsoncoyote - ?? vs. D0rkAngl - ??
    Sokpuppet - W vs. Elvenshae - L
    DaMoonRulz - L vs. Chrysis - W
    webguy20 - W vs. Grunt's Ghosts - L

4th Round: Oct 26-Nov 1
    Elvenshae - L vs. crimsoncoyote - W
    Chrysis - ?? vs. D0rkAngl - ??
    Grunt's Ghosts - L vs. Sokpuppet - W
    webguy20 - L vs. DaMoonRulz - W

5th Round: Nov 2-Nov 8
    crimsoncoyote vs. Chrysis
    Elvenshae vs. Grunt's Ghosts
    D0rkAngl vs. webguy20
    Sokpuppet - W vs. DaMoonRulz - L

6th Round: Nov 9-Nov 15
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. crimsoncoyote
    webguy20 vs. Chrysis
    DaMoonRulz vs. Elvenshae
    Sokpuppet vs. D0rkAngl

7th Round: Nov 16-Nov 22
    crimsoncoyote vs. webguy20
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. DaMoonRulz
    Chrysis vs. Sokpuppet
    Elvenshae vs. D0rkAngl

Proposed Calendar:
    Round 1 - Oct 5-11

Any Questions? @ or PM me!
    *Rules/format/calendar subject to change

Summoning previous players:
    @Grunt's Ghosts @Stationary @TehSloth @Ingram @Sokpuppet @Elvenshae @webguy20 @Comradebot @[Expletive deleted]

crimsoncoyote on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    In a backwater bar on some rock that barely had a name in the Outer Rim, the doors flew open. The drunks inside shielded their eyes from the sudden blast of sunlight that escaped past the large figure who scanned the room. Every eye turned to the man as he stepped in, followed by two Stormtroopers, rifles at the ready. "I'm looking for some Imperial Pilots. Loud, drunk, and quick to fight." The bartender pointed to a backroom and the man node before continuing on.

In the room, a group of Imperial Pilots, still in their jumpsuits, gathered around a table covered in bottles, guns, credits, and half eaten food. The youngest of the pilot, a scrawny man with crooked glasses noticed the man first. "Commander Grunts. Sir." He came to a quick but drunken salute, followed by the rest of the room, except for Lorrir, who was passed out. "At ease. So you get some R&R and you decide to spent it on cheap liquor. Now I believe you guys are nuts."
    "It was Nimble's idea... sir." said the other Academy Pilot, his name tag covered currently by sauce from some spicy meat. The scrawny man just tilted his head. "I heard credits go longer here. So far it's true."
    "Well, I need you lot to sober up and wake him up. The Rebels are at it again. Striking at an Imperial Station this time. And worst, those dirty pirates are at it too, they took down a Destroyer a few cycles ago. Suit up, men. The Suicide Squadron is needed again.

@crimsoncoyote

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    @crimsoncoyote

I'd like to sign up. I'll have to put in some time getting to know Vassal, and hopefully my availability and timezone won't cause any issues.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I just played a game against my roommate

she flew Han in the falcon and a grip of upgrades, with an a-wing and b-wing escort

I flew Fel and two ties plus a defender with a heavy laser cannon

the short version is, HLC is pretty good

@crimsoncoyote

Hell yes.

Time to fly some ships.

Let's do this thing!