As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAL DVD questions

BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So I mistakenly ordered a PAL DVD (of Nifes, for my mom for Christmas). We live in Canada. Now, the company I ordered it from sucks and long story short, shipped it the day after I emailed them and told them to cancel the order.

If I make a copy of the dvd and remove the region encoding, would it play on an NTSC tv/dvd player?

edit:
After some more searching, I've discovered this movie played at the Toronto Film Festival, yet I'm having an amazing difficulty in finding a Region 1 disc. So this makes my above question even more important. This may be my only option.

BlazeFire on

• Options
    ShirenShiren Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Copying the dvd and removing the regional encoding would solve the problem, but with some luck you can simply set the region of the dvd player to 0 and it'll play discs from any region from that point on.

Enter the model number of the player in google together with "region hack" or something like that and you should find what you're looking for. It might be as simple as pressing enter, menu and 0 simultaneaously on the remote to make the change. Keep in mind sometimes it will void the warranty although with the price of a new player being so low these days I don't see this as an obstacle.

Shiren on
  • Options
    dsplaisteddsplaisted Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    BlazeFire wrote:
    If I make a copy of the dvd and remove the region encoding, would it play on an NTSC tv/dvd player?

In short, no. A PAL television signal is different than an NTSC signal and it has nothing to do with region protection. It should not be hard to find a DVD player that can output both PAL and NTSC. You can also by TVs that support both formats, but I doubt you relish the idea of buying a new TV just to watch this movie.

The other option is to watch it on a computer. Your computer should be able to play both PAL and NTSC DVDs, so once you remove the region protection you should be fine.

dsplaisted on
    2850-1.png
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you rip the DVD and re-burn it with Nero, it will convert the video to NTSC. I have converted a number of PAL DVDs using this method.

|EDIT| And if you use VLC Media Player to play the DVD on your computer, you won't have to worry about region protection or video format.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Computers will player either

PAL and NTSC are different video formats altogether. a computer can compensate for it becasue the real difference is PAL has slightly higher resolution and a different framerate.

Do not, as many people do, confuse region coding with video format they have nothing to do with one another. region coding is an entirely artifical barrier that can be remvoed with software. Converting video is much more complicated.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nibble wrote:
    If you rip the DVD and re-burn it with Nero, it will convert the video to NTSC. I have converted a number of PAL DVDs using this method.

This sounds like a solid option. Watching it on a computer wouldn't quite be feasible since its for my mother. Is there anything special to be done to get this to work? I usually back up DVDs with DVD shrink (-> .iso) then reburn it. Is there another process necessary?

and I'm kind of embarassed, I did know the difference between the framerates and resolutions and completely forgot.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What I did was rip the DVD with DVD Decrypter in file mode (the default) then tell Nero to burn the DVD from the folder to which I ripped the files. The video conversion was done automatically by Nero when it compressed the video in order to fit it on a 4.7GB DVD.

I've never used DVD Shrink, but it appears that it does the video compression itself, so you may need to check the documentation to see if it will convert to NTSC. I also don't know what will happen if you burn it on a 9GB DVD, which shouldn't need any video compression.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006

PAL and NTSC are different video formats altogether. a computer can compensate for it becasue the real difference is PAL has slightly higher resolution and a different framerate.

Do not, as many people do, confuse region coding with video format they have nothing to do with one another. region coding is an entirely artifical barrier that can be remvoed with software. Converting video is much more complicated.
    What usually happens with DVDs in PAL, just so you know, is that they play fine but the audio and video will drift out of sync. Pausing the DVD will resync the audio until it drifts again.

edit: Assuming you have a region free player of course.

denihilist on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    denihilist wrote:

What usually happens with DVDs in PAL, just so you know, is that they play fine but the audio and video will drift out of sync. Pausing the DVD will resync the audio until it drifts again.

edit: Assuming you have a region free player of course.

Didn't know that. Must be translating the video to NTSC but not able to change the audio to match it.

nexuscrawler on