As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What game will the SE++ Game Club play next? Turns out it's Spec Ops! New topic Oct. 2!

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    okay, that was pretty dang funny

...Rick is still completely unwatchable for me though

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    rick is basically dennis from always sunny combined with josef mengele and andy griffith

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Wolfenstein the New Order
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    rick is basically dennis from always sunny combined with josef mengele and andy griffith

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Rick might have killed billions of people, shown a sociopathic disregard for the lives of others, violated almost every law of God and man, and ruined the lives of almost everyone he's ever met, but let's be fair here.

He's not Dennis.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy 5
    Mac, Dee, Charlie, and Frank are all pretty shitty people with a few bright spots. Charlie gets a partial pass for being dumb as a sack of bricks.

Dennis is a monster.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Wolfenstein the New Order
    turtleant wrote: »
    Mac, Dee, Charlie, and Frank are all pretty shitty people with a few bright spots. Charlie gets a partial pass for being dumb as a sack of bricks.

Dennis is a monster.

Well, so is Rick, but at least he sometimes realizes it.

Sort of.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    OK PEOPLES

So it looks like we're going to be playing Spec Ops: The Line starting on Oct 2. I'll make the new thread for it tomorrow, but mark your calendars and if you need to get the game go ahead and do it. That game is cheap on the Amazon, it seems.

We will be playing the game for two weeks, and then have one week to recuperate before starting in on Final Fantasy Tactics. That topic will go up on October 16, with actual playthrough beginning October 23rd.

Now, I have not played either of these two games. Our friendly neighborhood beartato, A Steak!, laid out a timeline for Spec Ops. Would anyone with experience with FFT be willing to help me plot out how a timeline for that game should work, given that we're aiming to devote about 5 hours a week to these playthroughs, like we did with FF12?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    Hmn. FFT-wise, there are four chapters, but each one has differing amounts of required fights.

Chapter 1 - 10 (9 + Prologue fight)
    Chapter 2 - 11
    Chapter 3 - 11
    Chapter 4 - 22 (Required fights only, does not count the sidequests)

So that comes out to 54 required fights, and many people are going to want to do the Ch 4 sidequests as well. Also count the random battles that are going to pop up as well (IIRC it's 50% to trigger one when you pass over a green dot on the map).

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    @a steak!, do you remember the story well enough to do a timeline?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Not really, unfortunately. I'll try to take a look through and see if there are any reasonable stopping points, but it may be better to just break it up by the chapters.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I have never played tactics before, can I get that on the PS3? Or am I out of luck if I don't have a Vita/PSP? (Also that is a really weird sentence to write out)

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Final Fantasy 5
    Farangu wrote: »
    I have never played tactics before, can I get that on the PS3? Or am I out of luck if I don't have a Vita/PSP? (Also that is a really weird sentence to write out)

I think you can get the PS1 version on PS3.

edit: yep. The PS1 version is available off of the PSN for PS3, PSP, and PSVita.

The PSP port, War of the Lions, is available off the PSN for PSP and Vita as well.

They are both $10 dollars, which is pretty funny.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

edit: yep. The PS1 version is available off of the PSN for PS3, PSP, and PSVita.

The PSP port, War of the Lions, is available off the PSN for PSP and Vita as well.

I'm not losing story stuff by not being able to get the PSP port am I?

• Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    If you'd prefer the War of the Lions version, looks like it's available on Android and IoS: Final Fantasy WOTL

Although some people said it's a bit buggy? Haven't tried it myself.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Camera is clunky and at launch there were issues with saves

• Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Speaking of FFT, now that I have some sleep, here's my rough stab at a timeline (in the spoiler due to me listing area names):
    W1: Character Generation to Battle 5 (Dorter Trade City 1)
    W2: Battle 6 (Sand Rat Cellar) to Battle 10 (Fort Zeakden)
    W3: Battle 11 (Dorter Trade City 2) to Battle 14 (Zaland Fort City)
    W4: Battle 15 (Barius Hill) to Battle 18 (Barius Valley)
    W5: Battle 19 (Golgorand Execution Site) to Battle 21 (Inside Lionel Castle)
    W6: Battle 22 (Goland Coal City) to Battle 26 (Underground Storage First Floor)
    W7: Battle 27(Grog Hill) to Batle 29 (Yuguo Woods)
    W8: Battle 30 (Approaching Riovannes Castle) to Battle 32 (Roof of Riovannes Castle)
    W9: Battle 33 (Doguola Pass) to Battle 37 (Bed Desert)
    W10: Battle 38 (North/South Wall of Bethla Garrison) to Battle 41 (Poeskas Lake)
    W11: Battle 42 (Gate of Limberry Castle) to Battle 45 (Inside Igros Castle)
    *Point of No Return to the World Map*
    W12: Battle 46 (Murond Holy Place) to Battle 50 (Underground Book Storage Fifth Floor)
    W13: Battle 51 (Murond Death City) to Battle 54 (Graveyard of Airships 2)

Not sure where to put the Chapter 4 sidequests. They'd have to be sometime after Week 10 (which is when I think they unlock) to before Week 12 (the Point of No Return). As always, feel free to modify as you see fit.

EDIT: Adding a signal booster for @Wyborn

Heartfinder on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    I might get a jump start on Spec Ops, as I'm out of town from the 1st through the 4th, and I start a new job on the 5th so that will be a bit hectic.

• Options
    Final Fantasy 5

I'm not losing story stuff by not being able to get the PSP port am I?

No.

WotL adds at least one bonus character, Balthier from FF12, and two bonus jobs, Dark Knight and Onion Knight. It also has a new translation and some redid cutscenes, but I don't think it adds any new story.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    I just want to point out that while they are very similar there are some differences between the war of the Lions and original game. The psp version has a noticeable slowdown during most moves and abilities, bad enough to desync the audio a bit. It is fixed in the Android version, no idea about the ios version. In exchange though you get access to some gorgeous animated cut scenes, Balthier from FF12, Luso from the FFT Advance series, a new and much better translation, balance changes, a multiplayer mode, and a few bug fixes. Really the War of the Lions is superior except for the slowdown which can be very annoying to anyone who played the original.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Marathon
    yeah the translation of the original is notoriously flakey

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Marathon
    The original translation is enduring. I named my house in FF14 "Cellar of Sand Mouse"

Pretty stoked to do a weird FFT run, since I've played it many times before. Thinking maybe a single-class run? Nothing but chemists!

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Marathon
    maybe a run where you don't abuse ramza's guts skill or grind JP by throwing rocks? no, that's blasphemy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    okay, that was pretty dang funny

...Rick is still completely unwatchable for me though

This was me about 7 minutes into the first episode.

I came around pretty quick.

• Options
    maybe a run where you don't abuse ramza's guts skill or grind JP by throwing rocks? no, that's blasphemy

Please, everyone knows you grind JP by standing in a circle and screaming at each other.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I feel like I wanna get started on FFT early.

But if my save dies I swear to God I'm gonna be so mad.

sarukun on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    I kind of want to do a FFT run with classes I never used much (and avoid using a lot of the powerhouse NPCs you get later on)

I never got a calculator or mime going, for instance

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SnowglobeSnowglobe Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I kind of want to do a FFT run with classes I never used much (and avoid using a lot of the powerhouse NPCs you get later on)

I never got a calculator or mime going, for instance

Calculators are one of the more OP classes, if you don't mind doing a lot of math in your head

• Options
    Yeah, Calculator is mega OP. I keep telling myself to not do an all female team yet again, but the Chantage is calling to me.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Other (please post your vote)
    Oh hey I might finally play spec ops all the way through now

And if I can get fft on mobile maybe I'll get in on that too, wish it had made it to the 3DS or something though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Fuck it, I've had two beers, let's do this shit.

There's no penalty for being slightly ahead, right? I don't get busted, or whatever?

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I don't have my copy of Spec Ops to hand, but I'll be playing along in spirit.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Final Fantasy 5

Jobsterbating is a time honored tradition.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    A steak! wrote: »
    Yeah, Calculator is mega OP. I keep telling myself to not do an all female team yet again, but the Chantage is calling to me.

Yeah it kind of blew me away when I read what you could do with them. TG Cid is broken enough without even sinking much leveling into him and yet somehow calculators are still worse

Hit the whole map with Holy and one shot the board? okay, can do.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Okay, FFT has Goddamned monster breeding, so, fuck it, I don't need to work, eat or sleep over again.

sarukun on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    my original fft run was the best when i finally got the calculator and just fucking destroyed everything in my path

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy 8
    I wonder if I can beat P4G in time to join. It is dominating my Vita time.

• Options
    Monster breeding and Monster hunting.

Jesus.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Wonderful 101
    An android version? Okay, yeah, I guess I can play along then. I've only ever beaten one jurp so this should be good fun.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Thief: Deadly Shadows

Please, everyone knows you grind JP by standing in a circle and screaming at each other.

Real JP grinders trap a man in an endless cycle of damage and healing.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Oh so it is like Fire Emblem

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    I can step up and do the FFT timeline if no one has officially taken the mantle yet. I didn't do the FF12 playthrough, so how long is the ideal session, purely story-wise for a week? Bear in mind, this is a tactics game, so while the individual battles may only take 10-15 minutes, there are mandatory maintenance duties like outfitting, and allocating job points which should probably be built into even bare-bones playtime projections

Javen on