As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - Almost Time To Dust Off Your PS3

• Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hope it keeps the Insomniac Museum mechanic the other games had. That was awesome, getting to make your own effects and puzzles, seeing enemies and levels that got cut from the game. Gives you a reason to get the 'Achievements'

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Waiwha? Insomniac Museum? That something that got unlocked when you finished the game?

Glal on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As much as I personally dislike GS I saw this and thought it was a nice touch.

Vray on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Demo was a blast, will be picking this one asap. I haven't had time to read reviews... anyone got info on how many hours of gameplay are under the hood of this one? Please be longer than Heavenly Sword... PLEASE!

edit: BTW... free-falling with the SIXAXIS is a lot of fun in the demo... I just wish you feel a bit faster... or the flying cars flew faster. But other than that... I thought it was really cool :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Vray wrote: »
    As much as I personally dislike GS I saw this and thought it was a nice touch.

I completely didn't expect that phone call. Awesome touch. Can't wait to play it. Its just too bad there isn't going to be some kind of online co op. That would be fun.

powersurge on
  • Options
    Kin33Kin33 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, Gamespot gave this game a 7.5 while every other review I've seen has been in the 9-10 range. Is Gamespot offbase or just the only ones not overrating it? Reading the review it seems they take a lot of points off for little nitpicks but who knows.

I need something to tide me over till Mass Effect next month(I have lots of DS and PSP games but I save those for at work.) I've always like R&C more than the newer marios so its this or Mario Galaxy.

EDIT: GS also knocks it for to many minigames when I thought the minigames were part of the reason GC and UYA were so awesome. Maybe he just doesn't like R&C games.

Kin33 on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kin33 wrote: »
    Wow, Gamespot gave this game a 7.5 while every other review I've seen has been in the 9-10 range. Is Gamespot offbase or just the only ones not overrating it? Reading the review it seems they take a lot of points off for little nitpicks but who knows.

I need something to tide me over till Mass Effect next month(I have lots of DS and PSP games but I save those for at work.) I've always like R&C more than the newer marios so its this or Mario Galaxy.

EDIT: GS also knocks it for to many minigames when I thought the minigames were part of the reason GC and UYA were so awesome. Maybe he just doesn't like R&C games.

Well, not everyone likes it when they add a new game style every other level.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I'm kind of new to the series. I liked the Jak series and I tried one of the R&C games a long time ago. Having said that I thought the demo was preorderawesomesauce. Not sure exactly what kind of mini games are in (picking it up tomorrow) but I liked the six axis free fall and the grinding parts in the demo. I'm kind of tempted to go back and look for the other R&C games for cheap.

powersurge on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Glenn565 wrote: »

Well, not everyone likes it when they add a new game style every other level.

The guy who did the review hates fun.

zilo on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

It's averaging 90% at GameRankings so it sounds like Gamespot is offbase, as usual.

And yeah, the free falling was pretty cool in the demo, even if it is a little easy (played through the demo 4 times and I've only hit one car). Probably the best use of the sixaxis I've experienced (though Resistance was also pretty good).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So I know the Demo ran in 720p... But I could of sworn I downloaded a trailer for this game off the PSN which said something about "mind blowing 1080p, with the use of PS3 cell technology" (something like that) .... I forgot his name.. that guy in the demo that requests help in the green/black uniform. Hes the one that says something about the 1080p in that trailer. Full game still only going to be running 720p?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Qwark. Jaw-dropping eye-popping HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS. ;-)

Glal on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Qwark. Jaw-dropping eye-popping HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS. ;-)

Right.. Qwark... And yes.. thats what he said.. but I thought he also said 1080p... (right as the camera was zoomed in on his eyeball with viens and shit) If not no biggie.. :)

edit: Personally ... I think the disco ball weapon is fucking hilarious... I'm not sure what is better... HL2 gravity gun or disco ball.... GOD I want a disco ball grenade in every game I play now. Seriously, I think Doom 3 would of been a much better game if it had some :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Looks like there is a small game stopper bug:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/bugs/ratchet-and-clank-future-dont-lets-start-314418.php

Doesn't seem too bad of a work around though. Can't wait to try mine at lunch.

powersurge on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How much space does it require, anyway?

I'm surprised they didn't catch it while testing the game for bugs. It could cause a few problems depending on how common this problem is.

When I eventually get a PS3, this will be one of the first games I get for it

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Actually, IGN mentioned there was another bug that prevented them from picking up an item.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/829/829409p1.html
    There's also an occasional bug or two that slipped through the cracks (a secret "Holo-plan" item I found wouldn't register no matter how many times I claimed it, though'm hoping that when I get to it in Challenge Mode again that it'll work this time).

Looks like this is the first time the usually remarkably speedy and efficient Insomniac had to cut a corner or two, since I've never encountered any bugs in previous Ratchets.

Still, this looks like a great game, and it'll be the first one I get when I pick up a PS3 a few years down the road.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I picked up my copy and played through the first couple of levels. It's made of awesome and win. I've never played a Ratchet game before and now I'm feeling really stupid.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gotta say, this is the first game that has made a PS3 purchase desirable to me. Not nearly enough on its own, but alongside Heavenly Sword and the recent price drop, the ball is rolling. Can easily wait until 2008 due to rumble and Home, though.

Still, watched some HD clips on gametrailers and was very impressed. Gameplay looks a little clunky, and nothing particularly groundbreaking, but looks like a whole bunch of fun, great characters, fantastic environments, cool and interesting weapons, and man... the graphics are tasty.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Gotta say, this is the first game that has made a PS3 purchase desirable to me. Not nearly enough on its own, but alongside Heavenly Sword and the recent price drop, the ball is rolling. Can easily wait until 2008 due to rumble and Home, though.

Still, watched some HD clips on gametrailers and was very impressed. Gameplay looks a little clunky, and nothing particularly groundbreaking, but looks like a whole bunch of fun, great characters, fantastic environments, cool and interesting weapons, and man... the graphics are tasty.

The graphics are indeed tasty! I have been enjoying them the most out of all the aspects of the game. The actual gameplay is pretty solid, but the camera can occasionally leave something to be desired. The game defaults to the fastest camera speed, and sometimes the camera positions itself a little bit too high up in the air.

Other than those niggles, it's a solid-playing game and I'm really enjoying it. It pulls the old Bioshock "Hey this isn't a cutscene you're in control now" thing with some frequency, by having the camera start in an unorthodox spot at the beginning of each level, which is cool. I'm really contemplating picking up the old ones. To any longtime fans who've tried Future, will I be as satisfied by the older games?

brynstar on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    It pulls the old Bioshock "Hey this isn't a cutscene you're in control now" thing with some frequency, by having the camera start in an unorthodox spot at the beginning of each level, which is cool.
    Hella awesome, that is one of my gaming highlights this year.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

The graphics are indeed tasty! I have been enjoying them the most out of all the aspects of the game. The actual gameplay is pretty solid, but the camera can occasionally leave something to be desired. The game defaults to the fastest camera speed, and sometimes the camera positions itself a little bit too high up in the air.

Other than those niggles, it's a solid-playing game and I'm really enjoying it. It pulls the old Bioshock "Hey this isn't a cutscene you're in control now" thing with some frequency, by having the camera start in an unorthodox spot at the beginning of each level, which is cool. I'm really contemplating picking up the old ones. To any longtime fans who've tried Future, will I be as satisfied by the older games?

You should be satisfied with them. Every Ratchet game adheres to basically the same formula (except Deadlocked) and each iteration is just refining that formula.

The first game might be a bit jarring to go back to, but I think it's worth it. Deadlocked is different from the rest but still a great game in its own right.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It pulls the old Bioshock "Hey this isn't a cutscene you're in control now" thing with some frequency, by having the camera start in an unorthodox spot at the beginning of each level, which is cool.

Yeah, I love showing that part of Bioshock to people and watching them react to it.

And thank you very much for the insights Cheesechick! That's most helpful.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Yeah, I love showing that part of Bioshock to people and watching them react to it.

Anytime! Oh and since I didn't mention it: if you've got a PSP, Size Matters is great too.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Anytime! Oh and since I didn't mention it: if you've got a PSP, Size Matters is great too.

Hm, so the PSP version holds up well to the console Ratchets, then? Cool, I'll have to pick it up when I get a PSP.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't suppose ToD continues the tradition of looking for saves from previous games to give you bonus stuff huh?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I was astonished at how good SM is.

And TOD is simply phenomenal. I really enjoy the gel puzzles, and I'm really glad they brought back swimming and flying your ship.

Oh, and I <3 the whip, it's awesome.

(Obligatory horn-tooting: open the manual and read page 36 8-))

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm probably about 4, or 5 levels in and I'm in love, little glitches and all.

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I'm really contemplating picking up the old ones. To any longtime fans who've tried Future, will I be as satisfied by the older games?

they did this in the older games as well. i know its in Up Your Arsenal, and i'm pretty sure it was in Going Commando as well (though its been a lot longer since i've played that one so i could be misremembering).

2 and 3 (Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal) are definitely worth picking up, theyre a couple of my favorite ps2 games. having played the demo of Future it seems that they both play pretty much exactly like Future... so if youre digging the new one i say go for it. i never played 1 or 4 though, so i can't comment on those. the word is that 4 changed things up pretty drastically, and it got very mixed reviews so i stayed away from it.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sorry to rain on the parade here, but what am I missing?

I'm a complete R&C newbie, and downloaded the demo on PSN last week... I played for about 15 minutes and turned it off in boredom. It felt like rather bland shooting to me, with almost no platformy elements, although I enjoyed the bit where you ground on the rails, and the disco ball weapon was definitely entertaining.

Also, I couldn't invert the camera, which drove me a bit batty.

It's not like I don't like platformers - I played Super Mario World on GBA to death, loads of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro on PS1, enjoy Mario 64 and (yes, I realize this doesn't fully count) Zelda, really like New SMB, looking forward to Super Mario Galaxy, etc. So I went in fully expecting to like it. But all I got was what felt like some rather bland shooting.

Do I need to dive back in and play through to the end? Is it really mostly a shooter and less a platformer? Is the demo just a bad slice of the game? Is there anything in particular that I missed that I need to try?

Do... do I just hate fun? D:

rufo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

I'm really contemplating picking up the old ones. To any longtime fans who've tried Future, will I be as satisfied by the older games?

they did this in the older games as well. i know its in Up Your Arsenal, and i'm pretty sure it was in Going Commando as well (though its been a lot longer since i've played that one so i could be misremembering).

2 and 3 (Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal) are definitely worth picking up, theyre a couple of my favorite ps2 games. having played the demo of Future it seems that they both play pretty much exactly like Future... so if youre digging the new one i say go for it. i never played 1 or 4 though, so i can't comment on those. the word is that 4 changed things up pretty drastically, and it got very mixed reviews so i stayed away from it.

Deadlocked's got an 83% on Gamerankings. I wouldn't call that mixed - just less than the previous Ratchets.

It's worth noting that the whole game has co-op, as well. And if you've got someone to play with it absolutely rocks.

1-3 + Future all play pretty much the same way (and Size Matters.) But I think they're all worth playing since the unique levels/stories/characters/weapons/gadgets really make each game stand out. The first one is a little archaic compared to the rest (Ratchet has a different voice actor, Quick Select doesn't pause the game, the AI is sketchy) but it's still great... and it shows just how much the characters and writing have progressed.
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Hm, so the PSP version holds up well to the console Ratchets, then? Cool, I'll have to pick it up when I get a PSP.

Yes, it does. It's somewhat short and there's a racing minigame that can be kinda frustrating, but it's great overall. The way they got the controls to work so well still impresses me.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dear lord I want this game so badly. Why, WHY does a PS3 have to be so rediculously expensive and hardly worth the price?!

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    rufo wrote: »
    Sorry to rain on the parade here, but what am I missing?

I'm a complete R&C newbie, and downloaded the demo on PSN last week... I played for about 15 minutes and turned it off in boredom. It felt like rather bland shooting to me, with almost no platformy elements, although I enjoyed the bit where you ground on the rails, and the disco ball weapon was definitely entertaining.

Also, I couldn't invert the camera, which drove me a bit batty.

It's not like I don't like platformers - I played Super Mario World on GBA to death, loads of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro on PS1, enjoy Mario 64 and (yes, I realize this doesn't fully count) Zelda, really like New SMB, looking forward to Super Mario Galaxy, etc. So I went in fully expecting to like it. But all I got was what felt like some rather bland shooting.

Do I need to dive back in and play through to the end? Is it really mostly a shooter and less a platformer? Is the demo just a bad slice of the game? Is there anything in particular that I missed that I need to try?

Do... do I just hate fun? D:

The demo isn't a very good slice of the gameplay. It also doesn't have a lot of the control options the full game has - in the game you can invert the X and Y axes independently, as well as adjust camera speed, enable motion controls, and switch from third-person (normal) to lock-strafe (shooter) control schemes.

There is a lot more platforming in the full game, trust me. The demo is the first level, and you don't really get into it until a bit later on. It seems that the first level is meant to familiarize people with the controls more than anything else.

(Side note: all games with active tutorial/hint setups should skip tips for maneuvers you've already performed.)

IMO, every PS3 owner should play this game, it really is that good.

I am really enjoying the weapon upgrade system in this one, it's a big improvement from Deadlocked. Instead of plug-n-play weapon mods, it works much more like Final Fantasy X/XII with the sphere grid/license board. Each weapon has its own upgrade path, which you can improve independently of leveling the weapon itself.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thank you kindly once again Cheesechick, and you as well Lord Yod! I may have to look into getting all the other games, even the PSP one then. My PSP could use a good shooty-platformy-thing.

And Rufo, I'll echo what Lord Yod said. The demo is the very first part of the game, and the gameplay expands more and more with each different level you encounter. When I played the demo the thing that did it for me was how gorgeous it was, and just how smoothly it all works.

You might try renting/looking into one of the older games to see if it's your thing, at least from what I've heard from the kind people who've given me advice. :) I'm glad to hear that the older games play this solidly, I'm looking forward to checking them out once I complete Future.

brynstar on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

there's a 2nd R&C game called Secret Angel Clank on the way too

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »

Secret Agent Clank.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Secret Agent Clank.

Which will have some sort of connectivity to ToD. Does anyone know any more details about that?

robcat09 on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Secret Agent Clank.

typo

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hrm, thanks for the encouragement guys. It would make sense if it was the first level and a bit dull; it didn't quite have enough tutorial-ish stuff for me to pick up on that, but I could see how it might be so. I'll probably pick it up sometime soon (I know I could grab 2 or 3 and give it a spin first, but honestly I bought a PS3 for a reason and I might as well use it to play an actual PS3 game for a change.)

Thanks all.

rufo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The parody of
    Star Fox 64

was pretty funny. :lol:

So far its living up to the "Its like playing a pixar movie!" hype. Only noticed a couple of small issues with the camera and a glitch with a stuck monster that keeps it from being perfect. A 9 IMO is probably about right.

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    rufo wrote: »
    Hrm, thanks for the encouragement guys. It would make sense if it was the first level and a bit dull; it didn't quite have enough tutorial-ish stuff for me to pick up on that, but I could see how it might be so. I'll probably pick it up sometime soon (I know I could grab 2 or 3 and give it a spin first, but honestly I bought a PS3 for a reason and I might as well use it to play an actual PS3 game for a change.)

Thanks all.

A lot of the tutorial stuff is on the second level as well.

Anybody else find the tornado launcher a bit difficult to control? I'm still getting the hang of it.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png