As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lego Dimensions] It's a highly sophisticated inter-locking brick system...game..

azith28azith28 Registered User regular
91nOQ6S4ptL._SX425_.jpg

I wanted to make a thread for this game since it comes out Sunday.

Lets get this out the way. This is the rule for the thread.
The Man Upstairs: You know the rules, this isn't a toy!
Finn: Um... it kind of is.
The Man Upstairs: No, actually it's a highly sophisticated inter-locking brick system.
Finn: But we bought it at the toy store.
The Man Upstairs: We did, but the way I'm using it makes it an adult thing.
Finn: The box for this one said "Ages 8 to 14"!
The Man Upstairs: That's a suggestion. They have to put that on there.

Lego Dimensions is an odd duck of a game. Most people have unboxing videos, then off they go to play the game. here you have to assemble the portal and as you go through the game, assemble, disassemble and reassemble into different shapes, the included bricks and minifigs. Offering a game that has to be solved before you can play it is a bit of a first.

The basic set is going for around 100 bucks, with the add on packs being an additional 30 each. This is a bit of a steep price for some, and I understand from reviews that the game is a bit shameless in plugging the other add-on packs...even to the point where you see lots of juicy golden bricks to collect that you cannot without the add-ons.

Early reviews of the game seem to agree that yes, its a lego game and not much about that aspect has really changed from all the other lego games already in existence in terms of gameplay, however they also seem to agree its great fun with lots of laughter. Personally The chance to play decent portal levels with Glados again is enough for me to drop the 130 bucks, even if they are only a few hours long.

I've avoided the skylanders/infinity in the past. This one may sink me.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Today's purchases.

-Lego Dimensions Core Set for PS4
    -Marty McFly Level Set
    -Homer Simpson Level Set

Got a $20 giftcard from Toys R US as well. $10 from buying the core set and another $10 from spending over $35 of other packs.

Game has a 5 gig update currently downloading. Inside the big box is a separate retail looking Lego box with everything other than the portal base. The instructions have you build just the three figures then play the game before building anything else.

The level backs to not actually have instructions for building the minibuilds. Just the figures. You have to use instructions that are displayed in game for the minibuilds.

I will report back with more info once I start playing.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I would have loved for this to exist before my kids had a couple hundred dollars invested in Disney Infinity

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    I would have loved for this to exist before my kids had a couple hundred dollars invested in Disney Infinity

This is specifically why I did not go into Infinity 3.0.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I was looking for this thread. I don't know about dropping money on a game like this if it isn't fun...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I'm contractually obligated since Back to the Future and Ghostbusters are my two absolute favorite movie franchises and Lego is my favorite toy.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    if I somehow came into ten thousand dollars I would probably get into this

So the bases for the mini build vehicles must be re-programmable since they do not have anything on them saying what they are for and you rebuild the vehicles into other things. Got ten minutes left on this download!

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I just successfully talked my dad out of blowing 150 bucks on this game

My main argument was that he's already in the Infinity hole, and the Star Wars Original Trilogy stuff is out on Tuesday and he's going to buy all of it

He still bought the Wicked Witch of the West pack, though

6F32U1X.png
    Update! In the game Batman did the Lego game thing of building something, then instructions appeared on screen for me to physically build it. I did then put it on the portal and it appeared in game!

10/10

Also there was a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference within the first five seconds of the intro so this game is alright.

Plot spoilers for how crazy it is.
    It starts with Batman and Robin in Gotham. Full Elfman theme playing, chasing Bane in their Batmobile. A portal opens in a wall and sucks Robin in. Batman drives after him. It then smash cuts to The Fellowship of the Rings the Fellowship is fleeing across the bridge in Khazad-dûm and the Balrog appears. Gandalf stops is and is pulled down. As Gandalf fights the balrog as they fall, a portal appears and Batman inside the Batmobile emerges.

The Balrog hits the Batmobile and Batman ejects and starts helping Gandalf. Neither really knows what's going on but Batman uses his grapple to pull Gandalf back up to the bridge where the Fellowship is standing. Frodo is overjoyed and runs to Gandalf when another portal appears and sucks Frodo and the ring through. Batman and Gandalf chase after them leaving the rest of the fellowship to stand there looking confused and Sam says, "I'll guess We'll wait then?"

Cut to Cloud Cuckoo Land. Metal Beard is MCings a dance off between Wildstyle and Unikitty. the whole gang is there including Emmet and Lego Movie Batman. A portal opens and Gandalf and Batman land on Batman. The first Batman sounds like cartoon batman, while Lego Movie Batman sounds like Will Arnett. They immediately start fighting for Batman supremacy. Then A portal sucks Metalbeard up and before Emmet and Unikitty can get their stuff to help, Batman, Gandalf and Wildstyle are also sucked away.

This game is really crazy.

Also Gandalf and Lego Game Batman move more fluidly with thier arms and legs bending more realistically, while the Lego Movie guys move much more like real Lego pieces.

Update:

So you can have four figures on the base at once. I got Gandalf, Wildstyle, Batman, and Marty. I loaded up the Back to the Future level. It consists of a condensed plot of the first movie then once it is complete it opens up a Hill Valley hub world. There are treadmills that you can drive the Delorean onto to get up to 88MPH and travel to 1885 Hill Valley or the distance future of 2015 Hill Valley.

When you are in 1985 Hill Valley, Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News is playing on a loop.

10/10 best game ever.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hate.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Update:

So you can have four figures on the base at once. I got Gandalf, Wildstyle, Batman, and Marty. I loaded up the Back to the Future level. It consists of a condensed plot of the first movie then once it is complete it opens up a Hill Valley hub world. There are treadmills that you can drive the Delorean onto to get up to 88MPH and travel to 1885 Hill Valley or the distance future of 2015 Hill Valley.

When you are in 1985 Hill Valley, Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News is playing on a loop.

10/10 best game ever.

fuck i want to play this game

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Apparently all of the level sets are about 20 minutes long

Maybe an hour if you get all the collectibles

$30 each

6F32U1X.png
    Maybe. If you have all the characters needed. The actual story mission was about the length of a longer mission in a normal lego game.

However that can't include the hub world that opens up afterward. Seems like there is a bunch of stuff there.

Also Batman is currently riding a hoverboard so all complaints are invalid. :P

I just did the Simpsons mission. It took me 30 minutes and I got none of the minikit pieces, not enough studs to get a perfect score, and did not find the hidden person.

I think it would take longer than an hour to find all of those missing things even if I had the characters I needed unlocked. It would only take an hour if I knew exactly where they were in advance.

Update: Gandalf used Homer's malfinctioning TV to blow open a gate to the Munkin land and now Micromanagers are attacking!

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    When you mention having to rebuild the portal to do things, how does it know you have rebuilt it correctly? Camera or something?

Also tangentially related, but I really hate the rules scene in the lego movie. I feel like I was supposed to feel bad for the kid for wanting to play with something he was told not too? But I guess I am just too old.

Morkath wrote: »
    When you mention having to rebuild the portal to do things, how does it know you have rebuilt it correctly? Camera or something?

Also tangentially related, but I really hate the rules scene in the lego movie. I feel like I was supposed to feel bad for the kid for wanting to play with something he was told not too? But I guess I am just too old.

You dont actually have to rebuild the thing. Just flip through the instructions and let the portal update the rfid tag in the base. But what it the fun of that?

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I have some technical issues with the game I have to get out early.

The sound issues, while certainly not game breaking are quite simply unforgivable in a premium game like this. its kinda sad that testing didnt fix this, even with a 5 gig day one patch.

I feel like a lot was cut. Like...the portal is talking to me about the pieces im finding, but thats never really explained...I mean mario had a talking water gun, and that took like 5 seconds of exposition for me to be fine with the notion.

The bits between scenes are not seamless and it kinda shows. I've seen it cut off mid sentence and transition to the next bit.

Other then that, the games been fun, and funny, and a good ride. The idea is great, but the main story hasnt quite sticked the execution.

Yes yes...i know...kids game. but that doesnt mean quality should be left out.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    As someone who feels that the past Lego games have been some of the best value for my time, should I be looking at this sadly from a distance while slowly shaking my head?

To get all the stuff in this game, it would cost about 300 dollars

6F32U1X.png
    Getting all the stuff in Lego <Whatever> cost me 40 dollars. I'm guessing that Lego Dimensions doesn't have 7.5 times as much content?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I watched a gameplay vid and it looked like a VERY glitchy version of all the other LEGO games except you have to spend 20$ per level.

I think I'll pass.

Well you ARE getting the physical Lego pieces as well. I feel that price should be removed from the game elements to get a more accurate price.

I agree that it is still expensive.

For example. The closest piece count for those sets that are a figure and a mini build would be the Star Wars Microfighter sets which are $10. So the game part costs about $5. Which is still kinda crazy since all it does is let you use it in game. Also you can't actually build the mini build without the game since the instructions are only shown in the game.

Not having to pay for pieces was one of the primary benefits of the Lego games for me. Physical Lego would be the kind of thing that I would absolutely love if I had infinite money and storage space, but I don't.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    In case anyone hasn't heard it yet, JoCo put up the new Portal song from Dimensions on Soundcloud.

Link.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Does the starter include Batman, Lego Movie and LotR worlds? or do you HAVE to buy a level pack?
    Also is there a Disney Infinity thread? I have a very important question about that game...

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Does the starter include Batman, Lego Movie and LotR worlds? or do you HAVE to buy a level pack?
    Also is there a Disney Infinity thread? I have a very important question about that game...

There's one in G&T, but it's not terribly active...
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/172217/to-disney-infinity-and-beyond/p1

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I believe you are correct that you get those worlds. I only stopped into the room that has the portals for a minute but when i stood in front of the lord of the rings one with gandolf, it did seem to want to let me in as opposed to other portals i did not buy.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    So if you just get the starter pack, does the game have anything outside of Batman, Lord of the Rings and Lego Movie stuff?

edited September 2015
    Peewi wrote: »
    So if you just get the starter pack, does the game have anything outside of Batman, Lord of the Rings and Lego Movie stuff?

During the story you go to each world from each franchise including the ones outside the starter pack. The level and figure packs just open up anither mission and a hub world for each other than gotham, middle earth, and lego movie.

I am currently in Springfield and already went to OZ.

Neat thing, non starter set guys react to stuff outside cutscenes, Marty McFly definetly commented about the flying monkies.

Librarian's ghost on

Peewi wrote: »

I hear yes, lots of stuff you have to buy extras access.

Having played more, I'm positive the levels that come with the core set equal the length of a standard lego game. The other levels unlocked are extra. I am still unsure if you can get all achievements without purchasing more figures.

Did Infinity or Skylanders give all achivements with the minimum purchase?

Having played more, I'm positive the levels that come with the core set equal the length of a standard lego game. The other levels unlocked are extra. I am still unsure if you can get all achievements without purchasing more figures.

Did Infinity or Skylanders give all achivements with the minimum purchase?

I'm not 100% positive because I don't have all the games but no? Skylanders does tho; you can get all the console Trophies with just a starter set so far. There's however in game stuff you can't get.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I saw this at Toys'R'Us today and seriously considered buying it until I did the math and realized I'd be dropping almost $150 on a single game and noped my way right out of the store. Shame, because if it was a bit cheaper, they'd have had me hook, line, and sinker.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Main story Doctor Who level spoilers.
    There are weeping angels. You have to do stuff while the lights keep flickering and they move closer and closer. It is genuinly scary. There is also a heavy weapon dalek. My favorite dalek!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm pretty sure Infinity sets it up so that you can hit your achievements with the base game and any playset you hook up to it

Actually, looking at the achievments, you only neet 30 gold bricks and 30 minikit pieces. That isnt all of them so those must just be the ones you can get with the starter figures. Everything else seems doable with the starter.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Can you level up the lego figures or only the cars?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png