As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Arby's causes mass extinction event, thankfully there's [water on Mars]

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    oh jeeze this is kind of a big deal

Yeah, but apparently everyone needs to be making dumbfuck Arbys jokes instead of commenting on this huge piece of news.

Look, any commentary we could provide on this discovery is going to be either total nonsense, or derivative of what much more informed news sources and scientists have to say. We're merely trying to find some identification, some personal stake, in a matter that is so far beyond any of our personal lives that it might as well be science fiction. We care about this in the abstract, because the abstract is the only way we will ever experience any of it.

So what I'm saying is, please enjoy Arby's.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    AyQY6ICh.jpg

/thread

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Arbys is lifeblood.

No I don't.
    I 8 @ r bb

No I don't.
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    arbys-jon-stewart.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I am obviously excited about Mars oceans, lakes, and rivers

just hoping the water isn't toxic beyond repair

so I'm not going to get too excited until that's sorted out

and then there is dealing with the insane sandstorms that will fuck shit up

going to keep my optimism distant through jokes and sarcasm if that doesn't hurt anyone

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    does the mars rover have the means to detect microbes?

it seems like for a while they've had to hold their tongue about the probability of microscopic life on Mars, but it seems like conditions are favorable now especially with signs of water at or very near the surface

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Does the Mars Rover have the means to detect trace amounts of Horsey Sauce?

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I am obviously excited about Mars oceans, lakes, and rivers

just hoping the water isn't toxic beyond repair

so I'm not going to get too excited until that's sorted out

and then there is dealing with the insane sandstorms that will fuck shit up

going to keep my optimism distant through jokes and sarcasm if that doesn't hurt anyone

I heard on the radio the other day that while yes Martian sandstorms blow at really high wind speeds, due to the low gravity you wouldn't really be fucked up all that bad by them

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Mars' atmosphere is really thin

Which means only the smallest dust grains actually hang in the air

Platy on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I for one welcome our future drippy overlords.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Anyone wanna bet that the timing on this news was decided because of the release of "The Martian" in theaters this week?

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Alright, smarter people break this down for me:

Why is this a big deal

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Why is this a big deal

water on mars could potentially mean life on mars which potentially means potentially entirely new species of potential microbes that we could potentially have sex with

edited September 2015
    Water on mars means that once a ship gets to mars with the equipment, you can turn water into hydrogen, which gives you the ability to make more fuel to return or go further.

Also, water on mars means that you dont need to bring water to mars to create a habitat (trees/plants) that can be used to supply unlimited oxygen to people living on the planet.

Also, water is where life comes from. underground water on mars means microbes and organisms could still be alive under the surface.

Edit: Also, the sex thing.

azith28 on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Why is this a big deal

dunno I got milk in my fridge and fucking nasa never reported on that

this is just water

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Well we knew water was on Mars already

But can we even use this running water without having some sort of 2010 scenario

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Does the Mars Rover have the means to detect trace amounts of Horsey Sauce?

Yes.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Why is this a big deal

the very basic gist is that water is necessary for organic life

It's necessary but the presence of it doesn't really mandate it, does it?

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    It's necessary but the presence of it doesn't really mandate it, does it?

Not at all. But science is all about the process of elimination, so any positive indicators are a good thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    If Mars has water, haven't we possibly already helped seed life there? If there are conditions where microbiological life can survive on the planet, wouldn't the rovers and such we have sent up there possibly have something? Or even picked up something on the way that could have found its way to water?

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    If Mars has water, haven't we possibly already helped seed life there? If there are conditions where microbiological life can survive on the planet, wouldn't the rovers and such we have sent up there possibly have something? Or even picked up something on the way that could have found its way to water?

yes.

But contamination should be pretty easy to eliminate.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Water is super important, and not only because of the increased chance of finding life.

As mentioned a couple of times in this thread, it also makes it easier to set up sustainable habitats on the surface, providing a fairly simple source of energy as well as water for growing food etc

There's also the possibility of life that isn't carbon-based, which wouldn't necessarily be predicated by the existence of water. Of course, I'm not sure we'd know how to identify non-carbon-based microbes if we found any, since I believe our way of determining whether something is alive or not assumes it's carbon-based. We have no idea how a nitrogen-based life form would look, act, taste, smell or touch.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    There's also the possibility of life that isn't carbon-based, which wouldn't necessarily be predicated by the existence of water. Of course, I'm not sure we'd know how to identify non-carbon-based microbes if we found any, since I believe our way of determining whether something is alive or not assumes it's carbon-based. We have no idea how a nitrogen-based life form would look, act, taste, smell or touch.

Are you referring to hypothetical life forms which would use liquid nitrogen as a solvent

That wouldn't be possible on Mars

Mars is so earth-like that carbon-based life using water as a solvent seems by far the most likely scenario (if life exists - and we would be able to identify it as life, we might just not look for the right markers)

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Nitrogen doesn't have the chemical temperament to be the basis of life. Silicon might be worth a look, though.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Are you referring to hypothetical life forms which would use liquid nitrogen as a solvent

That wouldn't be possible on Mars

Mars is so earth-like that carbon-based life using water as a solvent seems by far the most likely scenario (if life exists - and we would be able to identify it as life, we might just not look for the right markers)

Hypothetical life forms, yeah, and not necessarily on Mars. More alluding to that if we did find a lifeform that was based on something other than carbon we may not be able to identify it as life unless it displays overt signs of it.

I can't remember where I saw a video about it, I think it was that James Woods show, Futurescape.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Tommatt wrote: »

yes.

But contamination should be pretty easy to eliminate.

This is as good a time as any to note that Planetary Protection Officer is
    1. one of the coolest possible job titles and
    2. an actual thing.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    so is this when our entire belief system comes crashing down?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

heh

liEt3nH.png

Nah, that's when you hit your mid 20s.

No I don't.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

If by that you mean religion, I can only hope

JtgVX0H.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Water on mars means that once a ship gets to mars with the equipment, you can turn water into hydrogen, which gives you the ability to make more fuel to return or go further.

Also, water on mars means that you dont need to bring water to mars to create a habitat (trees/plants) that can be used to supply unlimited oxygen to people living on the planet.

Also, water is where life comes from. underground water on mars means microbes and organisms could still be alive under the surface.

Edit: Also, the sex thing.

We've known for a while that there is water on Mars, we just didn't know if any of it was liquid or if it was all locked up in the ice caps. There's no evidence yet that life ever happened on Mars, but if it did the presence of natural liquid water makes it more likely that it might still exist.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Why is this a big deal

They outlined the impact of this in the announcement, describing how the perchlorate in the soil will help any future missions being sent to mars. Even describing that we could be able to produce a livable environment on Mars, though that will be a livable indoors environment.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    were are the martians at

got a score to settle

icGJy2C.png
    edited September 2015
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Why is this a big deal

They outlined the impact of this in the announcement, describing how the perchlorate in the soil will help any future missions being sent to mars. Even describing that we could be able to produce a livable environment on Mars, though that will be a livable indoors environment.

I think that's why a lot of the impact of this stuff is lost on me

It's like okay, great, we can make it to Mars, and apparently we can refuel and stuff when we get there

Should we make it to Mars?

The travel necessary to get there and the conditions once you do scream "no" to me

UnbreakableVow on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Why is this a big deal

water on mars could potentially mean life on mars which potentially means potentially entirely new species of potential microbes that we could potentially have sex with

6.-Zapp-Brannigan.jpeg

BLM - ACAB
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Why is this a big deal

I think that's why a lot of the impact of this stuff is lost on me

It's like okay, great, we can make it to Mars, and apparently we can refuel and stuff when we get there

Should we make it to Mars?

The travel necessary to get there and the conditions once you do scream "no" to me

The growing population and decreasing resources scream yes even louder.