As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

• Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    schlew wrote:
    If you have the boss spelled out for you, it makes it way too easy. Think of how fast you would have breezed through them if you knew what you were doing from the start.

So I think I beat the Ft. Eagle boss by accident...

[spoiler:8ebf87cd58] Do the + and - squares do anything besides showing a video on the top screen? The "Inside GHM" one was cute.[/spoiler:8ebf87cd58]

[spoiler:8ebf87cd58]yes actually. It shows a video.. which distracts the two scientists that are there during the bossfight, sometimes one sometimes the other, sometimes both. When distracted, the scientists can't do their job. Which is controlling those symbols which stop you from being able to attack and stuff[/spoiler:8ebf87cd58]

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    schlewschlew Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    schlew wrote:
    If you have the boss spelled out for you, it makes it way too easy. Think of how fast you would have breezed through them if you knew what you were doing from the start.

[spoiler:33a543ad5a] Do the + and - squares do anything besides showing a video on the top screen? The "Inside GHM" one was cute.[/spoiler:33a543ad5a]

[spoiler:33a543ad5a]yes actually. It shows a video.. which distracts the two scientists that are there during the bossfight, sometimes one sometimes the other, sometimes both. When distracted, the scientists can't do their job. Which is controlling those symbols which stop you from being able to attack and stuff[/spoiler:33a543ad5a]

Ohhhhh okay. Makes sense.
    Hey, I have you on my list, but we haven't made contact yet. Are you available to?

schlew on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    schlew wrote:

[spoiler:da440dbd61] Do the + and - squares do anything besides showing a video on the top screen? The "Inside GHM" one was cute.[/spoiler:da440dbd61]

[spoiler:da440dbd61]yes actually. It shows a video.. which distracts the two scientists that are there during the bossfight, sometimes one sometimes the other, sometimes both. When distracted, the scientists can't do their job. Which is controlling those symbols which stop you from being able to attack and stuff[/spoiler:da440dbd61]
    Wait, what?

I tried tapping them, but I didn't think they did anything. I just powered through the thing without any of that help.

:cry:

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    schlew wrote:
    schlew wrote:

[spoiler:dca6a02df0] Do the + and - squares do anything besides showing a video on the top screen? The "Inside GHM" one was cute.[/spoiler:dca6a02df0]

[spoiler:dca6a02df0]yes actually. It shows a video.. which distracts the two scientists that are there during the bossfight, sometimes one sometimes the other, sometimes both. When distracted, the scientists can't do their job. Which is controlling those symbols which stop you from being able to attack and stuff[/spoiler:dca6a02df0]

Hey, I have you on my list, but we haven't made contact yet. Are you available to?

Sure, I'll boot up my DS right now.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    schlewschlew Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    schlew wrote:
    schlew wrote:

[spoiler:4325c5eb8d] Do the + and - squares do anything besides showing a video on the top screen? The "Inside GHM" one was cute.[/spoiler:4325c5eb8d]

[spoiler:4325c5eb8d]yes actually. It shows a video.. which distracts the two scientists that are there during the bossfight, sometimes one sometimes the other, sometimes both. When distracted, the scientists can't do their job. Which is controlling those symbols which stop you from being able to attack and stuff[/spoiler:4325c5eb8d]

Sure, I'll boot up my DS right now.

Awesome, thanks. I've been trying to get in touch with all of group 4. I was always worried no one was going to get the game after I started up group 4.

schlew on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    rightbelow wrote:
    SisterRay wrote:
    Taya wrote:
    Does anyone know what you need to do to be able to cook level 2 food? My cooking skill is level 32 or something and I want to finish my recipes.

I'm at 29 and I was wondering the same thing. According to gamefaqs, you need to be [spoiler:6946df36b9]level 55[/spoiler:6946df36b9]

Weak!
    Ugh, that sucks. That would take a ridiculous amount of barbequing

It helps if you use the chef techs on everything. Of course there is still an obscene amount of cookery, but 'gut' helps add the exp to your levelling progress.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm not really enjoying this game so far. I'm only at that first set of ruins, Caladoxa or whatever, but it just doesn't seem fun. When does the fun part of the game start?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    I'm not really enjoying this game so far. I'm only at that first set of ruins, Caladoxa or whatever, but it just doesn't seem fun. When does the fun part of the game start?
    I was loving it from the newbie island on, so if you're not enjoying it yet, you may not. The humor might hit high notes as you go along, but the gameplay isn't going to make a significant change after where you're at, there'll just be more outfits/skills/etc.

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    hughtron wrote:

Not really a spoiler
    [spoiler:636ec75475]Never[/spoiler:636ec75475]

Also, btw, the pyramid "puzzle" was pathetic.

[spoiler:636ec75475]Okay, equip a sword. Now equip a staff. Now equip a fist. Now step onto the tile representing the element you're wearing (You aren't in the chef outfit are you? If so, sucks to be you, you get to do this one more time!). Then run back to your ship. Then change clothes. Then run back to the pyramid. Then run back to the ship. Then change clothes. Then run back to the pyramid. Then run back to the ship. Then change clothes. Then run back to the pyramid. Chances are, you're in clothing you don't want to wear. Get the crest. Get killed by the uber skeleton. Change clothes. Now we get to go to the other pyramid.[/spoiler:636ec75475]

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    hughtron wrote:

Not really a spoiler
    [spoiler:fabc13f9b1]Never[/spoiler:fabc13f9b1]
    Oh come on. You have to have noticed that you're in a thread full of people who really like this game. I'm sorry it doesn't appeal to you, but it's not a crappy game, they just made some questionable design decisions. There are well-made, much-loved games I don't like, too, it's okay.

Ravenlock on
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ravenlock wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

Not really a spoiler
    [spoiler:596d131a10]Never[/spoiler:596d131a10]
    Oh come on. You have to have noticed that you're in a thread full of people who really like this game. I'm sorry it doesn't appeal to you, but it's not a crappy game, they just made some questionable design decisions. There are well-made, much-loved games I don't like, too, it's okay.

If he doesn't like it by the time he's on Caldoaxa, it's unlikely he'll find the rest of the game enjoyable.

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    If he doesn't like it by the time he's on Caldoaxa, it's unlikely he'll find the rest of the game enjoyable.

On that, I agree with you. That's why I said the same thing to him in the post right above yours. :wink:

Ravenlock on
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So this NPC bastard stole my boxing gloves... Well, it was more like I gave them to him and he ran off clearly ignoring proper RPG decorum where generosity to NPCs is always rewarded with phat loot. So, he better show up later and give me something, that’s all I'm saying...

I have online class tonight so I have a few hours to make Contact if any of my un-contacted group 3 brethren are about... or anyone else for that matter. Maybe I can get more boxing gloves!

I want my boxing gloves... :cry:

Pseudonym on
    Animal Crossing Wii: Kelly in Boomtown
    1934-4237-4812
    Fruit: Peaches, perhaps coconuts soon too!
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Pseudonym wrote:
    So this NPC bastard stole my boxing gloves... Well, it was more like I gave them to him and he ran off clearly ignoring proper RPG decorum where generosity to NPCs is always rewarded with phat loot. So, he better show up later and give me something, that’s all I'm saying...

I have online class tonight so I have a few hours to make Contact if any of my un-contacted group 3 brethren are about... or anyone else for that matter. Maybe I can get more boxing gloves!

Um... [spoiler:07efc5757a]I got a super hardcore hammer[/spoiler:07efc5757a]

What's your karma level?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    BelenusBelenus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Pseudonym wrote:

Um... [spoiler:2d34dbb96c]I got a super hardcore hammer[/spoiler:2d34dbb96c]

What's your karma level?

What!? He stole my gloves too then, because I got nothing.

At first he accused me of stealing them, and then he calmed down, but he didn't give me anything at all.

And my Karma level was high then (in fact it's maxed out right now).

Belenus on
    Contact Friend Code: 4038.0854.4554
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What's so good about boxing gloves anyways?

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    They had a really good agility bonus, as well as a decent critical hit rate. One of the best pair of gloves I've seen.

Belenus on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Arg. Can anybody give me a hint of where to locate the last couple idol pieces? I've got the first 3 I think, and can't find anymore. I have searched high and low.

I got the deed and found one piece in that pyramid. I was expecting more to be in that area, or at least some enimies. Did I miss something?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    There's one in the deed pyramid, there's one in the archeologist's pyramid, and the rest are in hidden rooms in the main pyramid.

If you EVER find the left hand, let me know! It's in the main pyramid, but I cannot find it for the life of me, and it's the only piece I'm missing.

Belenus on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ahhhh. The search is on.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Finally found all the pieces.

[spoiler:7079f0c1ff]So that last hand piece you are looking for is in the room with a treasure box containing a cutlass sword. It is deep in the pyramid after you use the symbol thing to open the door.[/spoiler:7079f0c1ff]

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

... all right, confession time: I've totally lost interest in Contact. The game gripped me at first, and the humor is solid, but the fairly monotonous gameplay really sapped my strength. Now I have a save game in Aegis about six hours in, and I honestly dread going back because I'm bored by it all.

For as much as the game touted itself as a nonstandard RPG, the whole "run around, stand there and attack enemies, quaff a potion, find and equip better weapon, repeat until you beat the boss or run out of potions" cycle feels pretty standard to me, except I can't even heal myself without burning through my food supply. Cooking seems to be a terribly random experience overall, and instead of grinding through experience levels, I'm grinding through stat levels. The concept seems to be fairly good, and a glimmer of what I've heard other people talk about in terms of battles seems interesting, but the whole auto-battle thing is a little too hands-off for my tastes.

It's a pretty polarizing game, and I guess I fall on the other side of the railroad tracks. On the plus side, I'm negotiating a trade to swap it with someone for Dawn of Sorrow, so hey.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Finally found all the pieces.

[spoiler:b6d6baf7f7]So that last hand piece you are looking for is in the room with a treasure box containing a cutlass sword. It is deep in the pyramid after you use the symbol thing to open the door.[/spoiler:b6d6baf7f7]

Thanks! What threw me off was that you had to walk through a wall on the north side of the screen. I always just assume that walls you can see are impenatrable. I never even got the cutlass.

Boy, that archeologist sure gives great rewards. :P

Belenus on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I preordered this game and it only just arrived today.

That's frigging rediculous.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Rawrg, me thinks the Fishing outfit is at the Mt. but for the love of me I cant convince the guy I think it is (Near the big fish shadow) to do anything. .___,

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Rawrg, me thinks the Fishing outfit is at the Mt. but for the love of me I cant convince the guy I think it is (Near the big fish shadow) to do anything. .___,

[spoiler:6cab1f6608]Gotta dig up the worm from the pyramids first.[/spoiler:6cab1f6608]

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

[spoiler:71b0ad2e89]Gotta dig up the worm from the pyramids first.[/spoiler:71b0ad2e89]

Thanks, that kinda baffled me there for a bit. Considering I never found the Earthtype suit till getting tot he Pyramids....

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, what level does your fishing have to be before you can catch the King? Is it even worth it?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lunker wrote:

... all right, confession time: I've totally lost interest in Contact. The game gripped me at first, and the humor is solid, but the fairly monotonous gameplay really sapped my strength. Now I have a save game in Aegis about six hours in, and I honestly dread going back because I'm bored by it all.

For as much as the game touted itself as a nonstandard RPG, the whole "run around, stand there and attack enemies, quaff a potion, find and equip better weapon, repeat until you beat the boss or run out of potions" cycle feels pretty standard to me, except I can't even heal myself without burning through my food supply. Cooking seems to be a terribly random experience overall, and instead of grinding through experience levels, I'm grinding through stat levels. The concept seems to be fairly good, and a glimmer of what I've heard other people talk about in terms of battles seems interesting, but the whole auto-battle thing is a little too hands-off for my tastes.

It's a pretty polarizing game, and I guess I fall on the other side of the railroad tracks. On the plus side, I'm negotiating a trade to swap it with someone for Dawn of Sorrow, so hey.
    I sort of agree. I liked it at first but by the end it's just like "ugh." I'm most disappointed by the utter lack of storyline, the whole game feels like a sidequest in a bigger RPG. I did like the leveling system at first but it gets so slow. Cooking is the slowest. I would like to be able to cook better things, but I'd rather not have to cook 300 times to be able to do so.

As far as auto-battle being too hands-off for your tastes, I wonder how you'd feel about FFXII. Like I said, Contact has been getting on my nerves, but I am pretty enraptured by FFXII.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lunker wrote:
    ...... all right, confession time: I've totally lost interest in Contact. The game gripped me at first, and the humor is solid, but the fairly monotonous gameplay really sapped my strength. Now I have a save game in Aegis about six hours in, and I honestly dread going back because I'm bored by it all.

I'm with you, Lunker.

I'm 11 hours in right now and am about half-way through the Mall island. Last night I decided to abandon my stat grinding efforts and just plow through the rest because I want to be done with it. I think the game is a very solid 7 for me, but not much higher than that. I'm planning on moving onto Super Robot Wars and Children of Mana soon.

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    As far as auto-battle being too hands-off for your tastes, I wonder how you'd feel about FFXII. Like I said, Contact has been getting on my nerves, but I am pretty enraptured by FFXII.
    Maybe an ATB Bar would have helped? :o

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Maybe an ATB Bar would have helped? :o
    Maybe. Bars for everything just like the fishing and stealing.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So yeah, I tried playing this again this morning and I just can't do it. The battles are so boring and the grinding is made even worse by the fact that your involvement basically consists of giving Terry a heal item every once in a while. 90% of the game is spent just watching.

No thanks. I'll probably wait a bit and see if I can't hawk this on Ebay for a pretty penny.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I sort of agree. I liked it at first but by the end it's just like "ugh." I'm most disappointed by the utter lack of storyline, the whole game feels like a sidequest in a bigger RPG. I did like the leveling system at first but it gets so slow. Cooking is the slowest. I would like to be able to cook better things, but I'd rather not have to cook 300 times to be able to do so.

See, it's strange, because FF12 has me totally frothing at the mouth. I don't think I'd mind hands-off there because you can tweak the shit out of your Gambits so that it roughly emulates how you'd be playing longhand. In Contact, on the other hand, it all kind of boils down to 1) Click B; 2) wait until HP gets low, then use a potion/food; 3) trigger special move every now and again. Lather, rinse, repeat. It's only at the boss battles that you notice an actual advantage to moving in and out of battle mode, so 95 percent of the time Terry's just kind of standing there, trading hits with a snake or a bat. And then when I run out of food I have to change clothes and just stand at a stove for 20 minutes, cooking the same items over and over again.

The storyline is terribly sparse, too; I like the general gist of it all, but it's kind of weird to just have Terry running around doing all of this crazy shit for no real reason other than "the Professor told me to."

It also has this very Tri-Ace sort of feel (e.g. Star Ocean 2), where the game give your characters a whole boatload of stats and options but it explains almost none of it to you, so you perpetually feel like you're missing out on something. At least IMO.
    SisterRay wrote:
    I'm with you, Lunker.

I'm 11 hours in right now and am about half-way through the Mall island. Last night I decided to abandon my stat grinding efforts and just plow through the rest because I want to be done with it. I think the game is a very solid 7 for me, but not much higher than that. I'm planning on moving onto Super Robot Wars and Children of Mana soon.
    It's good to see I'm not alone. :) I knew the game was kind of polarizing, and I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong about a game. With about 7 hours put into the game and just barely starting things in Aegis, I figure I'm somewhere around the halfway point, but I don't really feel like powering through the rest of it.
    hughtron wrote:
    No thanks. I'll probably wait a bit and see if I can't hawk this on Ebay for a pretty penny.
    The main advantage to taking a gamble on an Atlus title is that you're almost always able to break even by eBaying the game when you're done with it. ;)

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lunker, you've basically summed up everything I feel about this game. Good work.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Lunker, you've basically summed up everything I feel about this game. Good work.
    <3

It's a real shame, though, as I'm still waiting for a DS RPG that really grabs me. Perhaps FF3 will change my tune, but I'm'a wait until after the holidays until I have money and more forumers' reactions. (I already know that you will love it, Sporky!)

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lunker wrote:
    hughtron wrote:
    <3

It's a real shame, though, as I'm still waiting for a DS RPG that really grabs me. Perhaps FF3 will change my tune, but I'm'a wait until after the holidays until I have money and more forumers' reactions. (I already know that you will love it, Sporky!)
    That is the sad thing about this, you were all "I want both FF3 and Contact, but especially Contact because it is going to be rare and probably more fun!"

:(

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You guys are crazy. I never felt bored by the battle system, although maybe it was because I was always fighting monsters that were too strong and getting from heal point to heal point was an adventure in itself.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lunker wrote:
    hughtron wrote:
    <3

That is the sad thing about this, you were all "I want both FF3 and Contact, but especially Contact because it is going to be rare and probably more fun!"

:(
    I know; the irony, it burns. :( I would have sold Contact and just put the money toward FF3, but someone made me an offer to trade it straight for Dawn of Sorrow and I've been in a sidescrolling-action jones lately. Don't worry; the FF fandom runs too deep and too rich in my blood for me to not eventually get FF3. ;)

Lunker on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Im sorry you guys arnt enjoying it. :-(

I grabbed the last copy last night along with FFXII.

Sheep on