As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What game will the SE++ Game Club play next? Turns out it's Spec Ops! New topic Oct. 2!

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Stilts wrote: »
    A steak! wrote: »
    maybe a run where you don't abuse ramza's guts skill or grind JP by throwing rocks? no, that's blasphemy

Please, everyone knows you grind JP by standing in a circle and screaming at each other.

Real JP grinders trap a man in an endless cycle of damage and healing.

No, real JP grinders trap a frog in an endless cycle of damage and healing

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I think we're trying to aim for about 5 hours a week? Something hopefully manageable

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Speaking of FFT, now that I have some sleep, here's my rough stab at a timeline (in the spoiler due to me listing area names):
    W1: Character Generation to Battle 5 (Dorter Trade City 1)
    W2: Battle 6 (Sand Rat Cellar) to Battle 10 (Fort Zeakden)
    W3: Battle 11 (Dorter Trade City 2) to Battle 14 (Zaland Fort City)
    W4: Battle 15 (Barius Hill) to Battle 18 (Barius Valley)
    W5: Battle 19 (Golgorand Execution Site) to Battle 21 (Inside Lionel Castle)
    W6: Battle 22 (Goland Coal City) to Battle 26 (Underground Storage First Floor)
    W7: Battle 27(Grog Hill) to Batle 29 (Yuguo Woods)
    W8: Battle 30 (Approaching Riovannes Castle) to Battle 32 (Roof of Riovannes Castle)
    W9: Battle 33 (Doguola Pass) to Battle 37 (Bed Desert)
    W10: Battle 38 (North/South Wall of Bethla Garrison) to Battle 41 (Poeskas Lake)
    W11: Battle 42 (Gate of Limberry Castle) to Battle 45 (Inside Igros Castle)
    *Point of No Return to the World Map*
    W12: Battle 46 (Murond Holy Place) to Battle 50 (Underground Book Storage Fifth Floor)
    W13: Battle 51 (Murond Death City) to Battle 54 (Graveyard of Airships 2)

Not sure where to put the Chapter 4 sidequests. They'd have to be sometime after Week 10 (which is when I think they unlock) to before Week 12 (the Point of No Return). As always, feel free to modify as you see fit.

EDIT: Adding a signal booster for @Wyborn

@heartfinder had a timeline that looked pretty comprehensive!

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Speaking of FFT, now that I have some sleep, here's my rough stab at a timeline (in the spoiler due to me listing area names):
    W1: Character Generation to Battle 5 (Dorter Trade City 1)
    W2: Battle 6 (Sand Rat Cellar) to Battle 10 (Fort Zeakden)
    W3: Battle 11 (Dorter Trade City 2) to Battle 14 (Zaland Fort City)
    W4: Battle 15 (Barius Hill) to Battle 18 (Barius Valley)
    W5: Battle 19 (Golgorand Execution Site) to Battle 21 (Inside Lionel Castle)
    W6: Battle 22 (Goland Coal City) to Battle 26 (Underground Storage First Floor)
    W7: Battle 27(Grog Hill) to Batle 29 (Yuguo Woods)
    W8: Battle 30 (Approaching Riovannes Castle) to Battle 32 (Roof of Riovannes Castle)
    W9: Battle 33 (Doguola Pass) to Battle 37 (Bed Desert)
    W10: Battle 38 (North/South Wall of Bethla Garrison) to Battle 41 (Poeskas Lake)
    W11: Battle 42 (Gate of Limberry Castle) to Battle 45 (Inside Igros Castle)
    *Point of No Return to the World Map*
    W12: Battle 46 (Murond Holy Place) to Battle 50 (Underground Book Storage Fifth Floor)
    W13: Battle 51 (Murond Death City) to Battle 54 (Graveyard of Airships 2)

Not sure where to put the Chapter 4 sidequests. They'd have to be sometime after Week 10 (which is when I think they unlock) to before Week 12 (the Point of No Return). As always, feel free to modify as you see fit.

EDIT: Adding a signal booster for @Wyborn

Yeah that actually looks really good. The only change I'd make is to have Week 1 end after Sand Rat Cellar, rather than before, since it's the 'end' of that particular arc and still provides some suspense, making it an overall good natural stopping point. I'd still end Week 2 at Fort Zeakden, since right before that fight is a really good spot to get some levels (new equipment becomes available when Zeakden unlocks, and there's a lot of spots to engage in random battles if you're into that.)

Javen on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So it looks like it'll be 13 weeks, eh? That's pretty big! Must be an awfully big game

SO BE IT

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Wolfenstein the New Order
    Javen wrote: »
    maybe a run where you don't abuse ramza's guts skill or grind JP by throwing rocks? no, that's blasphemy

Please, everyone knows you grind JP by standing in a circle and screaming at each other.

So are we screaming at the frog then?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So it looks like it'll be 13 weeks, eh? That's pretty big! Must be an awfully big game

SO BE IT

Some of the weeks are pretty short, mission-wise. You could very concievably trim it down to 10, but most of the ending battles for each of the weeks that @Heartfinder scheduled are tough, or the first part of two-parters, so I'm tempted to say it's necessary to factor in time for re-tries or extra levelling for those who haven't played the game before.

Javen on
  • Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Madican wrote: »

So are we screaming at the frog then?

Yes. Truly, no one is safe in war.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    where was this frog

I don't remember that at all

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    Okay, I know we haven't even officially started Spec Ops, but, uh, for those of you who've never played FFTactics, the computer-controlled helpers you get at the beginning of the game are dumb as SHIT, and should not be counted on to do anything remotely resembling the "correct" thing to do in a given situation.

Y'know. When the time comes, just... just be ready for that.

• Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    To be fair, I tried to end each week at a natural story arc spot (which is why W1 can end at 5 or 6 - 5 splits the chapter in half evenly, 6 ends that mini-arc). It's been a while since I've done a full run - I don't remember starting any weeks in mid-multi-battle scenarios except for the end-game (Weeks 12 and 13). I also tried to give areas I know people will get stuck at (hi Riovannes!) a bit more time. Like I said, it's still a fluid schedule, so if anybody wants to alter it, go right ahead. I just whipped it up to give people ideas of what we can expect.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Now, if you wanted to trim down the number of weeks, I'd go with something like this
    W1 B1 (Orbonne) - B6 (Sand Rat Cellar)
    W2 B7 (Thieves Fort) - B10 (Zeakden)
    W3 B11 (Dorter Trade City) - B16 (Zigolis Swamp)
    W4 B17 (Goug Machine City) - B21 - (Lionel Castle)
    W5 B22 (Goland Coal City) - B26 (Underground Basement 1F)
    W6 B27 (Grog Hill) - B32 (Riovanes Castle Rooftop)
    W7 B33 (Doguola Pass) - B37 (Bed Desert)
    W8 B38 (Bethla Garrison) - B45 (Igros)
    W9 B46 (Outside of Murond) - B50 - Underground Basement 5F
    W10 B51 (Murond) - B54 (Graveyard of Airships

Narratively speaking, I think this might be a bit better, but we'd be looking at some jam-packed weeks, especially week 8. Heartfinders way is probably better if we want to take it easy.

Javen on
  • Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    To be fair, I tried to end each week at a natural story arc spot (which is why W1 can end at 5 or 6 - 5 splits the chapter in half evenly, 6 ends that mini-arc). It's been a while since I've done a full run - I don't remember starting any weeks in mid-multi-battle scenarios except for the end-game (Weeks 12 and 13). I also tried to give areas I know people will get stuck at (hi Riovannes!) a bit more time. Like I said, it's still a fluid schedule, so if anybody wants to alter it, go right ahead. I just whipped it up to give people ideas of what we can expect.

I think its a good starting point, thanks for posting it!

We just need to clearly mark which fights are the starts of multi-battles where if you don't keep a checkpoint from before it you'll be stuck and can't back out to go level up if you need to.

• Options
    I've only tried to play FF Tactics once on PS1. That attempt ended sometime around when I didn't realize spells took several turns to go off and I flambe'd my own army.

• Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Naphtali wrote: »
    where was this frog

Oh it's no particular character or anything, it was just a levelling trick that you turn all your enemies into toads so they can't do shit. You can also turn your OWN characters into frogs as well so the two sides can just beat smack each other with reckless abandon and not have to worry about any actual casualties.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Naphtali wrote: »
    where was this frog

I believe it's actually an ability that lets you turn an enemy into a frog.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Frog or Toad? This is important.

• Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Madican wrote: »
    Frog or Toad? This is important.

Would you believe it's actually both? The spell itself is called 'Toad' but if you look up the status ailment, it's 'Frog'

• Options
    The quantum amphibian.

• Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    okay that makes sense

I always abused squire commands

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Throw... Baby! Rock!

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    Radius wrote: »
    Throw... Baby! Rock!

You're thinking of peasants, not squires.

Common mistake.

sarukun on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Woo! Just received our brand new PlayStation TV (TM) bundle which I'm sure Best Buy was super eager to get out of their warehouse.

Also apparently we've owned Spec Ops the whole time, so we're nearly ready to go for both. Just need to... feed our info... into the PSN store.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Woo! Just received our brand new PlayStation TV (TM) bundle which I'm sure Best Buy was super eager to get out of their warehouse.

Also apparently we've owned Spec Ops the whole time, so we're nearly ready to go for both. Just need to... feed our info... into the PSN store.

The PSN store is undoubtedly the toughest hurdle.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy 5
    SilverWind wrote: »

The PSN store is undoubtedly the toughest hurdle.

It's best to just use the website version on your PC.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Should I be concerned that they are going to get their security breached and credit card info released all over again? :P They've fixed that, right?

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy 5
    Always be concerned everyone will get their security breached. Then realize there's really nothing you can do to protect yourself from that other than using prepaid burner cards for everything, sigh, and give 'em your info anyway.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I just saw this thread, what a great idea! Is there going to be a new game starting October 2nd? It would be cool to jump on then.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy 5
    Shit, I actually have a copy of Tactics. That means I'll feel obliged to do this, when I still have so much to catch up on before GOTY voting starts.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Marathon
    sarukun wrote: »
    Monster breeding and Monster hunting.

Jesus.

I always felt like the breeding was mostly pointless. Monsters are all way outclassed by human characters, and the chocobo-riding mechanic, while cool, is mostly just a waste of a deployment spot.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Monster breeding is horrible in fft, and I mean that literally. It's an awful act.

I say this because the only benefit of breeding monsters is so you can then kill and poach them for rare items. Man is the REAL monster.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Monster breeding is horrible in fft, and I mean that literally. It's an awful act.

I say this because the only benefit of breeding monsters is so you can then kill and poach them for rare items. Man is the REAL monster.

I was telling @Didgeridoo about this earlier and she now thinks I'm mega Hitler.

"Yeah, you catch and breed them to poach for good items."

"You just murder them? That's terrible!"

"Well, technically I murder the babies."

D:

A duck! on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Byblos and Worker 8 are worth keeping around

Boko gets poached immediately

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    So, yeah, FFT: murder baby animals for perfume.

If fairness the stuff you get is pretty sweet.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Marathon
    it never even occurred to me to poach my own monsters
    that's very clever

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    it never even occurred to me to poach my own monsters

Maybe because you're not a human monster *glares at @a steak!*

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    sounds like someone didn't buy the game and the strategy guide.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    I like using Red Chocobos for the rooftop fight with the two assassins. Chocobos get first move and attack and that really helps when you're fighting 2 NPCs with one shot kills.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Other (please post your vote)
    Huh. Well. I actually own Spec Ops: The Line on Steam. I do not remember how that came to be, most likely from some absolutely wonderful forumer gifting it to me at some point. So, how do I do this thing with you all? Obviously I'll have to download and install it first, but do we all start playing at the same time with a ventrilo chat going or something?

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    It's entirely not my place to tell people how to play a game, but I'd advise for something like Spec Ops to not be chatting to friends or whatever while you play it. Not because you're concentrating on details for some kind of incredible revelation, it's just the kind of game that warrants your attention. You're more likely to get something out of it if you give it that.

forumsig.png