As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Anyone of you followed the WTC this weekend? Finland took down the whole thing - beating USA 1, as well as both Australian teams on their way to victory.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Weirdly, the longer and longer I wait for Inflictor to be released the less and less engaged with WarmaHordes I feel. I know that's silly, but I want that 'jack.

• zend0gzend0g Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Trees get in the way. 3d buildings are neat though. As are fences.

I just use some tree bases from Charlie Foxtrot Models which allow you to remove individual trees from the terrain area. I think the two, three and four tree templates are more than enough for a 4x4 table. Add in a couple buildings and other pieces of terrain. I have a couple of buildings from 4Ground. Their ruined building are awesome, but the exposed beams are on the delicate side. Even if you snap some off, a little black paint should hide the exposed wood. In the beginning, I was tempted to paint the buildings to match the terrain theme, but found them to look perfectly nice without the extra effort. For resin buildings, I found a nice company in Croatia called Tabletop World (tabletop-world.com) and ordered a couple. The windmill looks awesome, but I cringe knowing someone would break a sail.

zend0g on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, I'm surprised they've been able to keep a lid on what's actually in Devastation this long. There hasn't been any leaks or anything yet, have there?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Speaking of which, in case you're sane and avoid the official forums...

mE8vifV.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The arms race is on.

This is some custom-made thing, but there was some C&D involved when pictures first appeared of it, dunno what is up with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgZE25q3xsU&feature=youtu.be

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I haven't played WarMachine in uhh, two years? But I'm headed down to the LGS tonight with my Epic Caine army (pretty standard model list really, at least from two years ago). I have Colossals and Wrath, but not Vengeance or Reckoning. Anything new/specific I should keep in mind tonight? I plan to get stomped pretty hard, it's been so long since I played...just curious if there are any new rules I should absolutely know before I go.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I haven't played WarMachine in uhh, two years? But I'm headed down to the LGS tonight with my Epic Caine army (pretty standard model list really, at least from two years ago). I have Colossals and Wrath, but not Vengeance or Reckoning. Anything new/specific I should keep in mind tonight? I plan to get stomped pretty hard, it's been so long since I played...just curious if there are any new rules I should absolutely know before I go.

I don't know that there's anything I'd call out as notable beyond the general rule of coming back to Warmachine: you're gonna get killed by all the new models that came out in the last two years + all the old models with rules you've forgotten. I suppose the one thing that might be worth mentioning is that things like laser lines for LoS, proxy bases for charges, and a variety of other techniques that you might look at and say "that seems like cheating" have actually become a big part of the competitive scene as PP actually established tournament rules and official judges to manage that stuff. However, that might not show up at all depending on the group you're playing with.

As expected, I got worked. Everyone was super chill and understanding that I hadn't played in a while, so everyone was patient with my rules blunders. There was a 4-man "master's rules tournament" where I think some guys were just practicing for Master's, but the rest was just casual play which was a nice way to ease back in. Only got one game in due to time constraints, but it was enough to start getting the rules back in my head and whet my appetite a bit.

I think it's time to build a beefier list though, possibly around a different Warcaster (Haley maybe?). I feel like Epic Caine is good against very specific lists, but I seem to always run in to the guy camping focus to prevent or transfer damage and my feat just gets gobbled up. There are some strategic things I can do to get around that (Eiryss), but I think I need a list that relies less on a gimmick for standard play. Any suggestions on a more straightforward, less gimmicky Cygnar list? I'd like to use as many of my existing models as I have (think normal ECaine stuff...gun mages, rangers, 13th, etc)...but I'm willing to spend some cash. I know one thing I'm grabbing for sure is a Stormwall, as 50pts seems to be the standard size at my LGS...so he'll see a lot of play.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Well, Caine's getting a buddy in a couple of months. Have you checked out the stats on Ace yet?

persona4celestia.jpg
    I have, he looks rad. Would probably replace Ol' Rowdy with him because of the affinity and stuff.

I still want to put together a beefier list, for games where running pure assassination Caine doesn't make sense.

Looking at Battlefoam Stormwall tray, it says it's 6.25" tall...which makes it really difficult to figure out how many half trays to order to sit beside it in my bag...I guess 6" worth, since it's impossible to order 6.25" of trays?

I am currently playing this eCaine list:

Captain Allister Caine (*5pts)
    * Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
    * Squire (2pts)
    Alexia Ciannor & the Risen (Alexia and 9 Risen Grunts) (5pts)
    Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
    Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
    Lady Aiyana & Master Holt (4pts)
    Rangers (5pts)
    Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (3pts)
    Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)
    Professor Victor Pendrake (2pts)
    Ragman (2pts)
    Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)
    Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)

And I mainly try to play attrition with it. Yes, the assassination is always on the table with eCaine, but you don't have to play the game that way. Against Legion or Circle, Caine can comfortably feat away 1-3 heavies. If he can bring Ragmans Death Field to bear, as well as Harm from A&H - he can easily kill a full colossal on feat turn. Eiryss can shoot off any ARM buffs the Colossal might have (Arcane Shield or Spiny Growth). Boomhowlers with Heightened Reflexes and super Tough can be a nightmare for your opponent to chew through.

It is very, very tempting to always go for assassination with eCaine - but if that is not on the table (because Butcher3 is camping his full focus stack and you have no clear Eiryss shot or some such), just chip away at his army and/or kill an important heavy on feat turn.

"Oh, you brought a colossal. Well, now try playing without it."

On the Hogenhold, the Ranked Fire only applies to other Mercenaries, correct (since it says Faction Models)? Or do they count as Cygnar in a Cygnar army?

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    On the Hogenhold, the Ranked Fire only applies to other Mercenaries, correct (since it says Faction Models)? Or do they count as Cygnar in a Cygnar army?

They allow other Mercenary and other Rhulic models to fire over them, they only count as Cygnar if you add the attachment that turns mercs into faction units.

Ranked Attacks means Friendly Faction models can ignore those models for drawing LOS.

Unless you run Jonas Murdoch with them - they don't count as Cygnar. So in my list everything but Caine, Squire, Ol'Rowdy, Junior and the Rangers ignores them for LOS.

But so far that hasn't been a problem.

What do you guys think of:

System: Warmachine
    Faction: Cygnar
    Casters: 1/1
    Major Victoria Haley (*5pts)
    * Stormwall (19pts)
    * Squire (2pts)
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
    * Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
    Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4pts)
    Lady Aiyana & Master Holt (4pts)
    Rangers (5pts)
    Captain Arlan Strangewayes (2pts)
    Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (3pts)
    Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
    Gun Mage Captain Adept (2pts)
    Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)
    Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)

I know Haley2 got nerfed, but she still seems strong in a lot of scenarios, and this list uses a lot of models I already have. Would give me a second list to play with moderate investment. It's a slight variation on a couple different lists like it I've seen floating around.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, Haley2 is still really good. I'm a fan of Stormwall with her and that list is solid, though I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit more of a tarpit unit.

Boomhowlers maybe?

That is a lot of support models. Do you own the Storm Lances? Maybe try and fit them in? Otherwise - Boomhowlers or Nyss would be another idea.

edited September 2015
    I do not own Storm Lances. I'm already looking at 140'ish to fill out that list (mostly because of the Stormwall, which to be fair is a general purpose Cygnar model, just good to have in general)...maybe I'll be pick some Storm Lances next time I have some Warmachine money to spend. For now I'm going to squeeze Boomhowlers in there.

GnomeTank on
    I'm going to have to order the bag with wheels that my current bag can zip too soon...once I put a Stormwall halftray in this, plus my new models, I'm going to be like 75% full on this bag. Once I had Horgenhold, Storm Lances and pAlexia and the Rocking Raised to my my collection, it's going to be full.

Ordered my Stormwall. Now I'm smarting at Battlefoams shipping costs. I don't mind paying 20 bucks for the Stormwall tray for my bag, but paying 16 bucks in shipping for it from Arizon to Oregon sucks, bad. Unfortunately the other half trays I need to put next to the Stormwall tray are out of stock at Discount Games...so I have to order straight from BF :bigfrown:

Speak of the devil, the spoilers' floodgates just opened.

No new minion warlocks is sadness, but goddamn those two new farrow lights. :D yeeeeeeeees

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Oh, what are they? And is there anything about new stuff for Blindwater?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited October 2015
    Well, there's the Blindwalker. That undead beast we've been seeing for a while. It's 7 points, has shield guard, and a animus that turns it into a arc node (but takes damage whenever it channels a spell).

5XhYpWc.png
    O7qEM3F.png
    UFJ3EKr.png

EDIT: Pendrake's students finally showed up in-game as well.
    5jj7G46.png

Plus there's this fellow, who I don't actually care about due to not working for pacts.

CCMzAFT.png

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Plus there's this fellow, who I don't actually care about due to not working for pacts.

CCMzAFT.png

Seems like a decent take for mercs and another bonus solo for Rhul.

So...are all PP resin models this "dirty"? I've spent over an hour just cleaning flash and sprue nubs off the resin of my Stormwall. I have to run to the store and get some fine grain sandpaper to finish cleaning some of it up.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    My understanding is that the answer is generally "No", and I wish they would do more metal/resin hybrids because they've gotten some amazing resin sculpts going lately. However the collosals tend to be an exception (probably because of their age) and frequently require not just a good deal of work, but replacement parts for pieces that don't line up.

• SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Unless it was the CoC stuff, or some Skorne stuff....or the Gargants/Collosals. Those are pretty bad.
    Putting my Wrath of Kings stuff hasn't helped either, by far the best resin I've seen.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    Got some 400 and 600 grit sandpaper to finish cleaning this thing up for assembly. I should have it assembled and ready to go for Monday night Warmachine at my LGS. Got a funny 50pt adaptation of my eCaine list with Stormwall in place of Ol' Rowdy that is probably terrible, but I'm going to play it anyway because eHaley and the other models I need for that list won't be here by then.

Viola!

Took a lot of work, but I think he went together pretty well once I did all the clipping and sanding.

2YELbvo.png

Also, the Loctite Super Glue Gel is fucking amazing. The bottle is easy to use, and the gel is easy to control. Can't recommend it enough.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hello people. I am considering returning to WarmaHordes for the third time. Trollbloods have caught my eye, and I was thinking of the below as my intro into the faction. I am very familiar with the game and have been reading Trollblood guides, so this seems like a good jumping off point, but I wanted a second opinion.

Trollblood Warpack
    Trollblood Heavy Kit (will assemble as a Mauler)
    Fellcaller
    Stone Scribe Chronicler
    Fennblades (would actually like to do Kriel Warriors if I can swing it, money-wise)

Basically, I wanted a good intro force with some necessary supports, a heavy, and a unit to play balltebox/15 - 25 point games.

• kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    I don't play trolls, but the krielstone and warders are huge staples these days. Often two units of warders.

Madrak likes fennblades right? I'd go krielstones pretty early on, it'll save yer butt. Maybe the new stuff will be interesting?

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I dropped the Fellcaller and Fennblades to get Krielstones, since they seem like an auto-include. I think this will a good starting point, and allows me to branch out and go either beast or infantry-heavy. The plan is play a few games and get a ton of stuff painted, then grab a new lock.

I too started playing warmahordes again, after getting a little burnt out by the super competitive scene at my store. I've never been able to stand 50, so I'm rocking this admittedly not great list of PMorghoul, bronzeback+Molik+glad+cannoneer, beast handlers, and a willbreaker. I know stuff like the flamethrower dudes would be better than the cannoneer, I just love me some big ole' beasts.

edited October 2015
    Oh, are you kidding me.

Apparently the product list got updated, and unless this is a error, it's looking like the Meat Thresher got delayed again. Not listed, so Feb at the minimum.

Boo. BOOOOOOOOOO.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Agreed. I'm thinking the Inflictor is just a big joke on Cryx. "This 'jack that would fix the problem of you not having good non-character heavy 'jacks? Yes, we will never release it. If we did, here's the stats it would have."

edited November 2015
    Huh, that's a surprise. Feb releases got sent out to retailers, and there's a couple of fellows that weren't in Devastation in there.

Most importantly...

QBwEAkm.jpg

GOBBER CHEF!
    While most equate gobbers with an aptitude towards the mechanikal, they are a race with varied talents and interests. Gobber Chefs are extremely creative, if unconventional, in their choice of ingredients; and many find themselves run out of town when too many local pets go missing. These misfit cuisiniers often turn their attention to the care and feeding of warbeasts embroiled in battle, far from their natural food sources. Most commanders welcome their presence, as fresh recruits are far more easily replaced than costly rations and supplies.

In the retailer notes:
    Features: He’s a great 1-point filler model and usable in several factions with limited options for that role. He’s more than just a cheap filler model though, bringing a fury management to any Hordes faction.

Trade Points: He’s arguably a “must buy” for Thornfall Alliance players (some of which might even buy two). Blindwater and Circle players will likely pick one up as well. Overall, his sales should be on the higher end for a solo.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    So, I just moved from Delaware (no scene here) to Texas, near Houston. As I was clearing out my room, I found all my Warmachine models.

Holy shit, I completely forgot how much Menoth I have.

Anyway. Anyone live in the Houston area? I'm looking to break out my minis, catalog my stuff, and paint up 50 points.