As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What game will the SE++ Game Club play next? Turns out it's Spec Ops! New topic Oct. 2!

12345679»

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Wolfenstein the New Order
    I've also heard it advised that if you ever feel like putting the game down, even if it's not done, then go ahead and do so.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy 5
    Huh. Well. I actually own Spec Ops: The Line on Steam. I do not remember how that came to be, most likely from some absolutely wonderful forumer gifting it to me at some point. So, how do I do this thing with you all? Obviously I'll have to download and install it first, but do we all start playing at the same time with a ventrilo chat going or something?

Nah. We just set weekly goals and you do it when you have time. Then we chat about it in the thread.

For the FF12 thread we spoiler tagged anything ahead of the week we were on, but the current week and anything before it was fair game. I spoilered stuff from the current week for the first few days of the week anyway though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Final Fantasy 5
    Byblos and Worker 8 are worth keeping around

Boko gets poached immediately

I literally cannot kill Boko. He's named after the SECOND best character in FFV!

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Final Fantasy 5

I literally cannot kill Boko. He's named after the best character in FFV!

That's a real weird way to spell Gilgamesh.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Madican wrote: »
    I've also heard it advised that if you ever feel like putting the game down, even if it's not done, then go ahead and do so.

This isn't a bad idea

I have opinions on Spec Ops, but for sure one of the less debatable ones is that this game goes dark and personal, and that some people may not want to play through to the end. And that's ok! I actually think the proposed stopping point for the first week is an excellent point for people to see some of that and decide that nope they don't want to go any further.

• Options
    Final Fantasy 5
    turtleant wrote: »

I literally cannot kill Boko. He's named after the best character in FFV!

That's a real weird way to spell Gilgamesh.

Whoops.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    Okay, after 3 days of this crap, I plain ol' just fucking hate the little AI turds FFT puts in your party. They always either charge out and get wrecked or run around aimlessly doing nothing when I need them to be punching faces.

I'm really, really unhappy with them, and I wish they would just let me control everyone so I can fucking win and get on with life.

Edit: and I promise to shut up about tactics until we actually get to it now, sorry. I'm just

I'm REALLY cranky about it right now.

sarukun on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Marathon
    The game is balanced with the knowledge that the AI guests are useless and will make basically no contributions to your battles after the all-AI-except-Ramza prologue map.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    apparently you can beat the game just using ramza (found a FAQ for that)

probably by shouting a lot with huge guts

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    I...am extremely surprised that Spec Ops is still so expensive. It only ever did okay, sales-wise

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    I have a company trip to Chicago, so i went ahead and bought FFT: War of Lions for my Vita, even though i had the PS1 version.

Gonna play some on the trip up and back and inbetween.

Mainly because i still haven't finished my FF12 play through. :(

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    So would anyone else be playing through Tactics on an original PS1 copy? I.....never beat it. I started it like twice and always got tired of it. And now I don't want to buy another version until I beat this one.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Marathon
    I think the original PS1 version is available on PSN

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I...am extremely surprised that Spec Ops is still so expensive. It only ever did okay, sales-wise

It's mostly because it's gotten some high praise for the story well after the release. I wouldn't be surprised if it had slow and steady sales numbers even now, just because it's gotten a bit of a cult following.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd join in on this but Spec Ops it's a bit outside my budget at the moment sorry!

• Options
    robotbeerobotbee Drop any other moon on his face -Jupiter has so many it won't even careRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    So would anyone else be playing through Tactics on an original PS1 copy? I.....never beat it. I started it like twice and always got tired of it. And now I don't want to buy another version until I beat this one.

I will be! I started it already because I remember how slow the first sections go, but I don't want to get TOO far ahead since the official start date isn't for weeks yet.

Whom the fly chicks tagged Lenore, nameless here forevermore.
  • Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics

I will. For the purposes of a story playthrough they're pretty identical; same battles in the same order. Different dialogue, though. and one might have different side mission stuff than the other, though.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    It'll be great for discussion, I feel! Everyone best be quoting some lines of dialogue for comparison. :D

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Final Fantasy 5
    Hmm, I should probably figure out if my PSP still works. Although, given that awful animation time issue and my PSP's fondness for forcibly ejecting its battery in the middle of a game, I might be better off digging up my PS1 copy. Pretty sure I can find a way to play that one.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Final Fantasy 5
    Hmm, I should probably figure out if my PSP still works. Although, given that awful animation time issue and my PSP's fondness for forcibly ejecting its battery in the middle of a game, I might be better off digging up my PS1 copy. Pretty sure I can find a way to play that one.

PS1 games work on PS3.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Final Fantasy 5

PS1 games work on PS3.

Isn't that only some PS3s? Also a moot point since I don't own a PS3.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Final Fantasy 5

PS1 games work on PS3.

Isn't that only some PS3s? Also a moot point since I don't own a PS3.

Nope, all PS3s run PS1 games, I'm pretty sure. My weird blue PS3 with the sliding disc tray lid still has it.

It was the PS2 back compat that got cut super quick.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I rented Spec Ops when it came out. I don't intend to buy it to play it again, but I remember enough about it that I'll definitely participate in the discussion.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Alright, since Wyborn is still napping like a maniac, I set up the thread for Spec Ops: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/200955/lets-play-spec-ops-the-line-together-week-1

I'm wondering if this should be my First Shooter Ever. Maybe!

signature.png
  • Options
    So is someone planning to make the thread for FF Tactics? I'm kind of jonesing to start, I already played up through Dorter Trade City.

sig.gif
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Other (please post your vote)
    moba or mmo

• Options
    Final Fantasy 5
    So is someone planning to make the thread for FF Tactics? I'm kind of jonesing to start, I already played up through Dorter Trade City.

23rd.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    For those that decided to skip Spec Ops: The Line, if it goes up during the Steam Sale or anything like that, I heartily recommend picking it up.

• Options

23rd.

That's when the playthrough is supposed to start. I'm asking about the thread.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Wyborn'll set one up after our dinner. :D

signature.png