As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Arby's causes mass extinction event, thankfully there's [water on Mars]

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    If we are alone in the universe

that isn't that scary

For me, it's the burden it places on us, that we're the only species around capable of understanding, well, the universe. That if we do wipe ourselves out, the that's it, all done, nobody left to do any study or research, no more science.
    It's not that I think there's a burden because we're so great, like we're owed anything as a species, but if we're all there ever will be that's like us, out of all this infinite possibility, then... I don't know, that feels like a big responsibility.

Man.

forumsig.png
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    If we're the only intelligent species that have ever existed, we've accomplished a lot already!

We've created the internet, split the atom, created pretty impressive ways of killing one another, and went to space!

We should keep exploring and learning and doing cool new things, of course, but if we cock it all up and die and there's no one else, I'd say we didn't fair that badly.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

that isn't that scary

For me, it's the burden it places on us, that we're the only species around capable of understanding, well, the universe. That if we do wipe ourselves out, the that's it, all done, nobody left to do any study or research, no more science.
    It's not that I think there's a burden because we're so great, like we're owed anything as a species, but if we're all there ever will be that's like us, out of all this infinite possibility, then... I don't know, that feels like a big responsibility.

Man.

I guess?

I feel we really overestimate our self-genocidal capacity. The only hard limits we know of are asteroid impacts and the sun expanding. Both of which we know won't happen for a good while.

VRXwDW7.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

that isn't that scary

Man.

I guess?

I feel we really overestimate our self-genocidal capacity. The only hard limits we know of are asteroid impacts and the sun expanding. Both of which we know won't happen for a good while.

And gamma ray bursts.

Which could basically happen whenever. Or at least, would happen faster than we could react.

Enlong wrote: »

that isn't that scary

Man.

I guess?

And gamma ray bursts.

Which could basically happen whenever. Or at least, would happen faster than we could react.

If a gamma ray burst hits us I would just see the brief blue light and shrug at the fact that we live in a random and cruel universe before utter oblivion

VRXwDW7.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Enlong wrote: »

that isn't that scary

Man.

I guess?

And gamma ray bursts.

If a gamma ray burst hits us I would just see the brief blue light and shrug at the fact that we live in a random and cruel universe before utter oblivion

Yeah

That's scary.
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    I always like to think about things like the Fermi paradox and the great filter because they are very interesting topics

But so many of the schools of thought around them are horrifying, to me

Ironically, I think my biggest fear is that maybe, we are somehow special

That one day, if we make it that far, we will be able to reach out and touch the stars. That the galaxy will be made available to us.

And we will discover that we are all alone.

By the time we're able to discover that, there will enough of us for that to not feel too lonely to me.

This is why I'm really interesting the the global population trends, because to expand out into the stars, and create a "human empire", you've really got to encourage people to have waaaay more kids than they do now, or you are generally capped at around 11 billion people.

Eh, people only having as few kids as they do now seems mostly an economic and cultural thing. If we wanted a serious colony on Mars or whatever, people would probably start having more kids on their own, and if you needed to you could always incentivize people to have more kids by giving them some sort of benefit for having a large family (outside the benefit having a large family in a colony situation brings already) until it becomes more normal.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

that isn't that scary

Man.

I guess?

Asteroid impacts just have good marketing, there's also global coal fires, eruption of megavolcanoes, and runaway greenhouse effect.

Dedwrekka wrote: »

that isn't that scary

Man.

I guess?

Asteroid impacts just have good marketing, there's also global coal fires, eruption of megavolcanoes, and runaway greenhouse effect.

The first I'm very doubtful of, the second is scary but we can predict it and won't extinct us, and the third will change the world but making it uninhabitable is physically impossible

VRXwDW7.png
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    we aren't alone

ask the military

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

that isn't that scary

Man.

responsibility to who?

all the other people who don't exist?

• scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular

that isn't that scary

Man.

responsibility to who?

life, the universe, and everything.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Real planets are scary and unpredictable, let's build artificial planets and space stations.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Real planets are scary and unpredictable, let's build artificial planets and space stations.

build some ring worlds and some shkadov thrusters, hell yeah

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »

that isn't that scary

Man.

responsibility to who?

Universe don't care man
    Universe don't give a FUCK

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular

that isn't that scary

Man.

We're the Forerunners!

Twist!

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    we aren't alone

ask the military

Pfffffft, like they know

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    we aren't alone

ask the military

Pfffffft, like they know

Another popular UFOlogy theory is that most (if not all) UFO sightings are government designed craft reverse engineered from a downed ET craft at Roswell. These theories typically tend to incorporate your other "big scary government" type things such as "black helicopters" and even "men in black."

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    scherbchen wrote: »

that isn't that scary

Man.

responsibility to who?

Universe don't care man
    Universe don't give a FUCK

I miss the crystal chronicals era of gloss

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    we aren't alone

ask the military

Pfffffft, like they know

Another popular UFOlogy theory is that most (if not all) UFO sightings are government designed craft reverse engineered from a downed ET craft at Roswell. These theories typically tend to incorporate your other "big scary government" type things such as "black helicopters" and even "men in black."

the levels of Occam in this

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Jephery wrote: »

that isn't that scary

Man.

We're the Forerunners!

Twist!

We get to go out into the empty cosmos, the precursor species to everything and proclaim to the vast emptiness.

...FIRST! LOL!

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

that isn't that scary

Man.

I guess?

The first I'm very doubtful of, the second is scary but we can predict it and won't extinct us, and the third will change the world but making it uninhabitable is physically impossible

Look up runaway greenhouse effect and "Venus."

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I mean Area 51, the center of so many UFO stories, is a test site for experimental aircraft
    I'd wager that a big portion of sightings are test aircraft but not even necessarily ones that are reverse engineered from anything

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »

that isn't that scary

Man.

We're the Forerunners!

Twist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RuB3gT8t0

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln

that isn't that scary

Man.

I guess?

Underground coal fires are the theorized cause of the worst extinction event in the history of our planet in the Permian-Triassic extinction event. Another proposed cause? Runaway greenhouse effect.

Runaway greenhouse effect is why Venus is the way it is. Venus was our twin, roughly the same size with (theorized) oceans and two continents. As the sun got hotter kicked off a greenhouse effect that fed back on itself leading to the oceans eventually boiling away. And that's kind of the main point to emphasize, it wasn't the sun getting hotter that boiled the oceans, it was the greenhouse effect that that caused. It wouldn't be quick either.
    When water vapor makes it into the atmosphere it traps more heat, leading to more water vapor, leading to more heat, and on and on until there just wasn't any ocean left to fuel it. Now, normal human activity isn't enough to kick off a runaway greenhouse effect without some concerted effort, but it does reduce the amount of heat from the sun to do this. The sun will be sending more heat our way as time goes on, and increasing the greenhouse effect just lessens the amount of time we have until it kicks off a runaway greenhouse effect.

So we need to develop methods to convert greenhouse gasses pretty fast.

TrippyJing wrote: »

At that point it's just easier to utilize existing planets. You'll need to do that anyways when you start harvesting them for materials.
    we aren't alone

ask the military

We're alone. We bombed the last alien in aught' nine.

that isn't that scary

Man.

responsibility to who?

To life as a concept. The only thing in the universe capable of understanding the universe.

You don't have to agree with the idea, but trying to put down the idea or stand in its way for no other reason than that you might disagree with the assessment just seems childish.

I say it's impossible in the sense that burning all known underground reserves of coal/oil would not be nearly enough to do that

It would take humanity as a species concerted effort to eliminate the limiting factors that keep it from being a perpetual heating machine

it will drastically change the biospheres and reduce biodiversity, but any time I hear people afraid Earth will become Venus I know they don't know what they are talking about. We will not become Venus until the sun gets hotter and we have bigger issues to deal with.

VRXwDW7.png
    I say it's impossible in the sense that burning all known underground reserves of coal/oil would not be nearly enough to do that

It would take humanity as a species concerted effort to eliminate the limiting factors that keep it from being a perpetual heating machine

it will drastically change the biospheres and reduce biodiversity, but any time I hear people afraid Earth will become Venus I know they don't know what they are talking about. We will not become Venus until the sun gets hotter and we have bigger issues to deal with.

Did you read my comment? Because that's what I said.

that isn't that scary

Man.

I guess?

Underground coal fires are the theorized cause of the worst extinction event in the history of our planet in the Permian-Triassic extinction event. Another proposed cause? Runaway greenhouse effect.

Runaway greenhouse effect is why Venus is the way it is. Venus was our twin, roughly the same size with (theorized) oceans and two continents. As the sun got hotter kicked off a greenhouse effect that fed back on itself leading to the oceans eventually boiling away. And that's kind of the main point to emphasize, it wasn't the sun getting hotter that boiled the oceans, it was the greenhouse effect that that caused. It wouldn't be quick either.
    When water vapor makes it into the atmosphere it traps more heat, leading to more water vapor, leading to more heat, and on and on until there just wasn't any ocean left to fuel it. Now, normal human activity isn't enough to kick off a runaway greenhouse effect without some concerted effort, but it does reduce the amount of heat from the sun to do this. The sun will be sending more heat our way as time goes on, and increasing the greenhouse effect just lessens the amount of time we have until it kicks off a runaway greenhouse effect.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11633402/Extraterrestrial-hotspots-the-most-likely-places-for-alien-life.html

We need to figure out sending unmanned probes beneath the ice crusts of some of these objects in our solar system. I'll eat my hat if there's no life in a 62 mile deep ocean.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Maybe we haven't been contacted by alien civilizations because faster-than-light travel and communication really are impossible. Now that would be depressing.

FTL travel is basically a pipe dream, barring some bizarre invention that changes the way particles are held together. Anything that moves at anything >1.0C will lose its covalent bonds and just become less than dust.

Wormholes! It's worked for the Federation (and the Dominion I suppose) and Mathew McCaunahaighegh and the Event Horizon.

Well... less so for that last one.

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Wormholes! It's worked for the Federation (and the Dominion I suppose) and Mathew McCaunahaighegh and the Event Horizon.

Well... less so for that last one.

Yeah, if wormholes ever cause us to go to a literal pain dimension as a possible side effect, I think I'll just stay on this shitty marble, boiled oceans and Draculas and all.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

okay then, First stop Europa.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

This.

Remember that time we were told we could eat from any tree we wanted, except this one particular one?

Yeah

yeah

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

We've got enough Europeans.

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

We've got enough Europeans.

You're a peein'

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

Fine. I always preferred Callisto and Ganymede anyways.

488W936.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

This.

Remember that time we were told we could eat from any tree we wanted, except this one particular one?

Yeah

yeah

Goshdangit, I'm still mad about this.
    We could have lived without pants, but no.

VayBJ4e.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yeah but you would've had to awkwardly stand behind waist high bushes all the time.