As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MechWarrior Online] HEAD TO THE LZ FOR EXTRACTION TO NEW THREAD!

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Those hard points are...kind of pathetic.

They're not bad. The main variant has six energy, two ballistic, and a missile point. Seems sufficient.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I view that more of questioning their location.

The arms look low enough to cause issue.

The torso weapons are high enough to be fairly close to the cockpit, but are still below the head. The only weapon that is above the cockpit is the missile launcher.

Not terrible, but not knocking it out of the park either.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The torso weapons are high enough to be fairly close to the cockpit, but are still below the head. The only weapon that is above the cockpit is the missile launcher.

Yeah...as much as I absolutely love the look of the ExcaliburWarhammer, I don't think I'll be abandoning my Hellbringers (which look close enough for me).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

I think it might be the best new dual gauss platform for the IS. Those ballistic hardpoints aren't much lower than the cockpit, and are more heavily armored than a Jager's arms. More weight for backup energy weapons, ammo, bigger XL engine. Everything a growing mechwarrior needs.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    I threw my $50 directly at Jordan Weisman during PAX after he told me wonderful wonderful things about their plans.

I would move up to the $125 tier, but there is no FRR in 3025, and thus, no FRR swag in 2015. :(

What?! Sure there is! Just click House Kurita / Draconis Combine when selecting your swag... it's all the same! :)

edited October 2015
    Torso gauss rifles with IS XL engines? Why? The catapult k2 used to do it, but it is all CT.

I do think the quadruple ballistic torso hardpoints on the black widow look interesting...

I'm just saying that clan tech sets the bar super high for IS mechs. Even for gorgeous mechs like the Warhammer.

Edit :
    I still feel burned about the Black Knight. I question if PGI really understands what IS mechs need to compete on the same level as the clans.

The Warhammer is super iconic, but I don't have an infatuation with it like the MAD.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Collecter pack looks worth while, Black Widow... meh. Think I'll pass on it.

kx3klFE.png
    edited October 2015
    Torso gauss rifles with IS XL engines? Why? The catapult k2 used to do it, but it is all CT.

I'm mostly thinking about CW, but I don't think it really matters where the Gauss Rifles are. Sure it might reduce your survival a little, but weapon explosions aren't guaranteed and the Gauss Rifle only does 20 damage. My average lifespan once they get through my armor is about 2 seconds even with a Standard.

More important is the convergence, which makes it easier to get both those Gauss rounds on the same location.

nonoffensive on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    What I find funny is that I had no lust for the Warhammer or Marauder yet bought both. They both represent part if the reason I started playing Battletech, to finally get to pilot a Macross mech. Now I will just wait till they release the Stinger, Wasp or Valkyrie.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Unless they actually add LAMs, they just won't be the same. Though now that I think about it, that could be an interesting counterpoint to clan mechs: IS mechs that can straight up fly.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Unless they actually add LAMs, they just won't be the same. Though now that I think about it, that could be an interesting counterpoint to clan mechs: IS mechs that can straight up fly.

As much as I like Macross, no thanks. Macross and BattleTech are not two great tastes that go great together.

5gsowHm.png
    edited October 2015
    If my experience from MWLL is anything to go by, lams would be op and btfo the clams (or at least their heavies and assaults).

Loiter up by the skybox and poke things with er-lasers, gauss rifles, ppcs, lrms with impunity.

Although they'd at least be kept partially in check by the lack of airfields they can scuttle to in 30 seconds to fully repair and re-arm.

Did the IS even have any LAMS left in service? I thought they were exceptionally complex and unable to be kept in repair after the fall of the star league.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Sometimes I doubt myself for wanting to refund my two pack purchases.

Then I just try to play a game of CW.

No, definitely a good idea.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I honestly never liked the idea of LAMs in Battletech. Macross is fine with their transforming mechs since that was a main focus of the mechs in there. Battletech seemed more focused on the mechs, weapons, and pilots so transforming was more of a gimmick and best left out.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Man what is this reasonable pricing nonsense. Its like they are trying to sell things now.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man what is this reasonable pricing nonsense. Its like they are trying to sell things now.

? It's a worse deal than the larger packs they had before.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Did the IS even have any LAMS left in service? I thought they were exceptionally complex and unable to be kept in repair after the fall of the star league.

Before the Gray Death memory core I think that was true for a lot of things, from guided missiles to jump ships. I think the IS had LAM factories still running, or maybe just parts factories, but the Clans singled them out for destruction because the multifunctional nature of LAMs was some kind of affront to their military philosophy. I'm pretty sure TRO3025 had some notable pilots listed, but I think none of the official unit lists had any LAMs in their rosters.

• TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit....

https://mwomercs.com/warhammer

This is an expensive battletech week...

Nostalgia Atlas is looming over the legged Locust that is my wallet.

l7n41RV.png
    I thought I was immune to the Warhammer, but now I'm wondering whether I want the Black Widow too.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I really want to get the Marauder and Warhammer, but after how mediocre the Black Knight quirks were (and even the Grasshopper is a bit weak), I just cant justify preordering for the lame bonuses and risking more mediocre quirks.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I got the $20 basic marauder pack but that Warhammer is going to get me to give them the extra $15 for the hero git daymit.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

edited October 2015
    After consideration, I'm going to pass on the Warhammer. I'm taking a leap of faith on the MAD because the MAD is my favorite mech ever. However their track record with IS mechs is just too poor. Until they produce another IS mech capable of going toe to toe with clan tech like the Thunderbolt, then I think I want to hold off from giving them any money.

I suppose the first opportunity to impress me will be the crab if they put it at storm crow levels.

Until then, we'll see. Worst case is I miss out on the cbill boost collector variant, but that will only be a concern if the Warhammer is actually a thunderbolt tier top mech. Ultimately, even though I'd be missing out on the collector version or at least the preorder bonuses, that would be a net win for the IS.

So let's hope I lose out O_o ?

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    If they release the Crusader, I may buy 2.

kx3klFE.png
    Meta-warhammer

fsvthd48mnta.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    I threw my $50 directly at Jordan Weisman during PAX after he told me wonderful wonderful things about their plans.

I would move up to the $125 tier, but there is no FRR in 3025, and thus, no FRR swag in 2015. :(

What?! Sure there is! Just click House Kurita / Draconis Combine when selecting your swag... it's all the same! :)

Space Samurai are not Space Vikings!

I guess I just don't like the available house emblems enough to more than double my pledge.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Meta-warhammer

fsvthd48mnta.jpg

Firemoth on 'roids?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Paging @Buttcleft . The Crab title is "The Clamps". Might be old news but I just saw it.

So support got back to me. MWO does have great support, love those guys.

Sadly, because they changed their payment system, any payments made via the old way (before R2 mechs started getting released) can only be refunded through pay pal accounts. Any recent purchases can refund through the credit card as normal. But I don't have a paypal and don't care to.

So the guy helping me, super friendly, asks if I want to trade my Crab pack for the new Warhammer pack of the same value.

I'm really torn. The crab pack offers more mechs, so I'll probably go with that, but the Wolfhound doesn't interest me much, and I'm meh about the crab. Meanwhile the Warhammer is just a really cool mech and I could see myself piloting it a lot.

What do.

And I guess I'm keeping the $40 Hbk IIC pack. That'll be good for the op lulz at least, and the HBK is dead sexy.

So I guess I'll just get the $25 Battletech pack too. I'm gunna get the game anyways. May as well save a few bucks over the release price.

Just feel bleh right now.

So support got back to me. MWO does have great support, love those guys.

Sadly, because they changed their payment system, any payments made via the old way (before R2 mechs started getting released) can only be refunded through pay pal accounts. Any recent purchases can refund through the credit card as normal. But I don't have a paypal and don't care to.

So the guy helping me, super friendly, asks if I want to trade my Crab pack for the new Warhammer pack of the same value.

I'm really torn. The crab pack offers more mechs, so I'll probably go with that, but the Wolfhound doesn't interest me much, and I'm meh about the crab. Meanwhile the Warhammer is just a really cool mech and I could see myself piloting it a lot.

What do.

And I guess I'm keeping the $40 Hbk IIC pack. That'll be good for the op lulz at least, and the HBK is dead sexy.

So I guess I'll just get the $25 Battletech pack too. I'm gunna get the game anyways. May as well save a few bucks over the release price.

Just feel bleh right now.

Well, the warhammer looks pretty great despite not having its weapon mounts on a swivel 10 feet above its head like everyone seems to want. If you're not interested in the wolfhound and crab, I'd go with the Whammy.

1 set of 3 Clan mechs if FIFTY FIVE DOLLARS compared to 20 for the marauder.

edited October 2015
    It sounds like you want the Warhammer.

Do you really need "more mechs" if they're mechs that you don't see yourself piloting?

From your story, I'd say get the Warhammer.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

That's ala cart, which is a bad deal compared to the full packs. The initial clan invasion pack was something like $120 for four types of mechs (12 total) and a bunch of extras.

Phoenix-D on
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

That's ala cart, which is a bad deal compared to the full packs. The initial clan invasion pack was something like $120 for four types of mechs (12 total) and a bunch of extras.

I'm still failing how to see 120/12 or 10 dollars a mech is a better deal than 20/3 or 6.33 dollars per mech.

edited October 2015
    They're clan mechs.

By default they're significantly better than IS mechs until proven otherwise.

The also came with oodles of premium time and other goodies.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Oh hey so I started playing this.

Been having fun with a modified HBK-4G (swapped the AC-20 for a LB 10-X AC, and the small laser for a medium)

Is the JM6-S Jagermech a worthwhile pickup? Can you pull off double gauss with it?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Fun fact: Now that the IS got their token tonnage advantage back in CW, the following will be a legal dropdeck next week.

Crab+Crab+Crab+King Crab

3DS Friend Code:
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    So, I used to play and have recently picked this game back up. I'm Aussie so bashing mechs with the Oosiks doesn't really seem viable.

Questions:

Clan mechs. What are these gameplay-wise? They seem crazy expensive and have superior(?) weaponry?
    Are not-clan mechs now crap in comparison? My lore knowledge is limited.
    Factions. Is this sort of like the traditional "Clans" from MMO's ect grouping wise?
    Artemis is expensive to deck a mech out in from the get-go. When did they introduce Artemis specific LRM-5,10,20 ect?
    Is Artemis worth it? (It tightens up the spread of missiles, right?)

Comments\improvements I've noticed:

The Mechbay is sooooooooo much better. My God. So much better.
    Even at 250+ ping, hits register much better than they used to.
    I pilot Awesome's. I'm that guy. Eliting my Pretty Baby and 8Q at the moment.
    So many new maps! Most of them are great. Though, I still hate Tourmaline.
    You can push trees over!
    The game is much, much prettier.
    No, really. Dat mechbay.

Fantastic
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Oh hey so I started playing this.

Been having fun with a modified HBK-4G (swapped the AC-20 for a LB 10-X AC, and the small laser for a medium)

Is the JM6-S Jagermech a worthwhile pickup? Can you pull off double gauss with it?

Any Jagermech can be used for 2x gauss or 2x ac20. Some may have slightly better quirks for what you want to do but nothingtoo crazy

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Unlucky wrote: »
    So, I used to play and have recently picked this game back up. I'm Aussie so bashing mechs with the Oosiks doesn't really seem viable.

Questions:

Clan mechs. What are these gameplay-wise? They seem crazy expensive and have superior(?) weaponry?

They're largely superior mechs in every category, with the sole exception (for the moment) of being unable to change their engines or their endosteel / ferrofibrous options, which lock out certain crits slots on their chassis permanently.

1-v-1, they'll just about always beat an IS mech of a similar weight and, sometimes, a higher weight class, too.
    Are not-clan mechs now crap in comparison? My lore knowledge is limited.

Most are, but there are specific quirks for each chassis (e.g., AC/20 improvements on the Yen Lo Wang Centurion) that allow IS mechs to perform better in limited roles.
    Factions. Is this sort of like the traditional "Clans" from MMO's ect grouping wise?

Pretty much. There's a separate game mode, called Community Warfare, where the factions fight for territory. Selecting a faction allows you to fight for them for cash and prizes.
    Artemis is expensive to deck a mech out in from the get-go. When did they introduce Artemis specific LRM-5,10,20 ect?
    Is Artemis worth it? (It tightens up the spread of missiles, right?)

Artemis tightens up missile spread and improves your lock-on time when you've got line of sight on your target. They also really tighten up SRM spread.

They switched to Artemis-specific launchers quite awhile ago at this point, and yeah - switching is expensive, so it's better to pick one or the other and stick with it on a given chassis.
    The Mechbay is sooooooooo much better. My God. So much better.
    [...]
    No, really. Dat mechbay.

INORITE? :D:D:D

Elvenshae on