As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:HW] Ye Olde Threade

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Extensive maintenance for EU data center transfer

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/788496765a5919621f4ddbda5426486ec21cf6d9
    Maintenance for Transfer of the Chaos Data Center to Europe

Affected Worlds
    Chaos Data Center Worlds:

Date & Time
    Oct. 19, 2015 0:00 to Oct. 20, 2015 10:00 (GMT) (34 hours)

Maintenance for Improvements to the World Transfer System

Affected Worlds
    Elemental / Gaia / Mana / Aether / Primal Data Center Worlds

Date & Time
    Oct. 20, 2015 0:00 to Oct. 20, 2015 10:00 (GMT) (10 hours)

Temporary Suspension of the World Transfer System in Preparation for System Improvements

Duration of Temporary Suspension of Service
    Oct. 5, 2015 8:00 to Oct. 20, 2015 10:00 (GMT)

During the above period, the World Transfer Service will be temporarily suspended in preparation for improvements to the World transfer system. Please be aware that the World Transfer Service will be unavailable until maintenance has ended.

Thoughts: 36 hours is pretty low considering the move. Also if you are planning a World Transfer any time soon do it before Oct 5th or you'll be locked out of doing so until Oct 20th.

My thoughts are actually the other way around. 36 hours is a really long time for what would normally be a DB migration. I suspect they're actually shipping the physical hardware to a new data center because what could have been done is replicate the DBs over the course of several weeks, then bring down the cluster and do a final synchronisation which would be covering maybe a day's worth of updates. Something like that may take 12-24 hours. However, physically moving the servers could take that period of time, or conservatively longer like 48 hours so I'll be really interested to learn if they decided to do a DB replication or a full physical migration of the kit.

Or, they could just be really really cautious with a DB migration, then spending a butt load of time making sure everything is working properly and the client connections will function normally despite going to a new data center. Given how relatively trouble free the expansion launch was, it could feasibly be the data centre monkeys are just extremely cautious and are dotting every 'i' and crossing every 't'.

Corehealer wrote: »
    Just if anyone was curious, yes I still like this game, I've just been very sick and also busy with RL things lately and that's prevented me from logging in even for small bursts. Hence why I haven't been on the last little while. Hoping to get back into the swing of things soon as I am able because I miss Eorzea and all you wonderful people.

And my Nyan. Best dressed catgirl ever.

Your time away is negatively impacting your fashion progression.
    Get well soon. :P

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    36 hours is a ridiculously low amount of time if they are moving hardware internationally. Not getting your machines held up in customs is no sure thing for anyone.

My bet is that the same hardware is not available in the new data center, so they want to make sure that after they turn off the old servers they have plenty of time to reprogram if it turns out that the new hardware doesn't play nice with the code.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Probably also making sure that the DNS gets updated everywhere etc.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So, now I know what it is like for all those warriors that had to level gladiator just for provoke. :(

I've been wanting to play Astrologian, so I've been leveling basically just through Daily Roulette, and some dungeon runs, and I've gotten up into the mid-40's. So, I finally figured I need to get stoneskin (which seems like its basically a required skill for healers). Its kinda just annoying that I need to level Conjurer to 34. :(

On a complete tangent, how do you guys pronounce Astrologian? I feel like every time I try to pronounce it, I butcher it a different way
    Astro-lo-gee-an
    Astrol-o-gee-an
    Astrol-gee-an (yes, I know there's a second o, but sometimes this just rolls off the tongue better?)

I don't know why I can't settle on one, its quite annoying.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    ass-tro-lo-ji-en
    edit: probably more like ass-tro-lo-jen cause I'm a lazy texan.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GreyWolfyGreyWolfy Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    On a complete tangent, how do you guys pronounce Astrologian? I feel like every time I try to pronounce it, I butcher it a different way
    Astro-lo-gee-an
    Astrol-o-gee-an
    Astrol-gee-an (yes, I know there's a second o, but sometimes this just rolls off the tongue better?)

astro

fin

FFXIV: Rexus Kalev - Sargatanas
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Apparently Astro-low-gin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW3SGhywMiA

edit: For the record, I always said Astro-lodge-ian

Skwigelf on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Card mage.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Cartomancer

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Gambler

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    "Ass"

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Duelist.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    From PvPing with friends, I mostly hear them referred to as "BULLSHIT ASTRO"

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    It is unfair how much better the summoner 50-60 quests are compared to black mage.

BLM: Here's a group of people. Kill them. Nice job, here's a spell, see you in two levels.

SMN: Remember that spell we gave you a couple levels back that costs way too much MP?
    SURPRISE PRIMAL-EGI BATTLE ROYALE

TAG SHIT FOR A NINE MINUTE BUFF NOW THE SPELL COSTS NOTHING AND DOES WAY MORE DAMAGE

THEY KEEP SPAWNING FUCK THAT JUST KEEP KILLING THEM

PEW PEW MOTHERFUCKER

One more to go, eager to see their final new toy.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Astro-lo-gee-an
    Astrol-o-gee-an

Depends on if I'm attempting to annoy the person I'm speaking with or not.

If not, I pronounce it Astro-lo-gin (hard G.) Or at least try to, anyway.

If yes, it's Astrolo-gain.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That sounds like something someone would shout in a knockoff of Megaman Battle Network.

"Astro! Login!"

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    How has tanking evolved in this game?

My first (and favorite) class during release was a Warrior, partly because I thought that huge honking guy with the giant axe was DPS. But tanking during levelling was pretty fun, so I stuck with it. Wasn't a fan of end-game tanking though; not enough mechanisms to keep several mobs especially if they were spread out, which was frustrating during dungeon runs, and most bosses were kind of boring. I liked DPSing, lots of movement and neat mechanics to avoid, but with tanking it always seemed to be more about finding the 'sweet spot' to stand and then never move.

Also, are there any catch-up mechanisms? I quit the game right before crystal tower was released, but I was pretty far along gear-wise, had my relic +1 and a lot of tome of mythology gear (I think that's what it was called anyway)

• Options
    Stolls wrote: »
    It is unfair how much better the summoner 50-60 quests are compared to black mage.

BLM: Here's a group of people. Kill them. Nice job, here's a spell, see you in two levels.

SMN: Remember that spell we gave you a couple levels back that costs way too much MP?
    SURPRISE PRIMAL-EGI BATTLE ROYALE

TAG SHIT FOR A NINE MINUTE BUFF NOW THE SPELL COSTS NOTHING AND DOES WAY MORE DAMAGE

THEY KEEP SPAWNING FUCK THAT JUST KEEP KILLING THEM

PEW PEW MOTHERFUCKER

One more to go, eager to see their final new toy.

Oh, you'll love it.
    Because some days, you just gotta Akh Morn a bitch.

• Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    I didn't realize Astrologian's were the Gambler class of this game. I don't know how I feel about that.

On the one hand, I loved playing Corsair in XI.

But on the other hand, they don't look like pirates.

I guess there was a limit to how many classes XIV could have be loosely based around pirates.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Javen wrote: »

My first (and favorite) class during release was a Warrior, partly because I thought that huge honking guy with the giant axe was DPS. But tanking during levelling was pretty fun, so I stuck with it. Wasn't a fan of end-game tanking though; not enough mechanisms to keep several mobs especially if they were spread out, which was frustrating during dungeon runs, and most bosses were kind of boring. I liked DPSing, lots of movement and neat mechanics to avoid, but with tanking it always seemed to be more about finding the 'sweet spot' to stand and then never move.

Also, are there any catch-up mechanisms? I quit the game right before crystal tower was released, but I was pretty far along gear-wise, had my relic +1 and a lot of tome of mythology gear (I think that's what it was called anyway)

Tanking depends on how high you want to aim for. The small scale group content has a fairly low floor requirement but there's also a pretty high ceiling if you push for it. The tanking meta at the upper half has shifted towards maximising DPS, both party and personal. How much you let that influence your goals is up to you and it'll affect how you approach things. The six bosses in the current level 60 roulette dungeons have a fair bit of movement and just parking in one spot won't necessarily work.
    By all means you can focus on pure survivability and holding aggro while ignoring damage as anything but a side-effect to generating threat, but that'll go against a large portion of the post 50 abilities given to the PLD and WARs

Multi-mob tanking has all the basic tools. You have your AoE threat builder and if mobs refuse to move because they're caster, then the old fashioned LoS pull or range drag them around.

As far as catch up mechanics are involved, all of the post 2.0 MSQs (basically where you're at now) will help gear by giving i110/i120 gear as quest rewards. Compared to your ~i90 gear, it'll be a massive leg up. You are, however, required to finish all of the 2.1-2.55 main scenario quests so that will take a while. However, all of the group content can be undersized which removes level synching so it is possible to do the dungeons with 2-3 people at level 60 with good gear and fairly quickly at that.
    Heavensward expects that players are around i115 when they start its content, which is assisted with NPC vendor gear being around that level.

Takel on
  • Options
    Takel wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

Tanking depends on how high you want to aim for. The small scale group content has a fairly low floor requirement but there's also a pretty high ceiling if you push for it. The tanking meta at the upper half has shifted towards maximising DPS, both party and personal. How much you let that influence your goals is up to you and it'll affect how you approach things. The six bosses in the current level 60 roulette dungeons have a fair bit of movement and just parking in one spot won't necessarily work.
    By all means you can focus on pure survivability and holding aggro while ignoring damage as anything but a side-effect to generating threat, but that'll go against a large portion of the post 50 abilities given to the PLD and WARs

Multi-mob tanking has all the basic tools. You have your AoE threat builder and if mobs refuse to move because they're caster, then the old fashioned LoS pull or range drag them around.

As far as catch up mechanics are involved, all of the post 2.0 MSQs (basically where you're at now) will help gear by giving i110/i120 gear as quest rewards. Compared to your ~i90 gear, it'll be a massive leg up. You are, however, required to finish all of the 2.1-2.55 main scenario quests so that will take a while. However, all of the group content can be undersized which removes level synching so it is possible to do the dungeons with 2-3 people at level 60 with good gear and fairly quickly at that.
    Heavensward expects that players are around i115 when they start its content, which is assisted with NPC vendor gear being around that level.

Not to mention that the first few HW MSQs will give you a full set of HQ i115 gear.

• Options
    And all of the quest gear in HW is HQ gear. At 60 the gear grind is law and esoterics tomes and Alexander normal runs.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »
    And all of the quest gear in HW is HQ gear. At 60 the gear grind is law and esoterics tomes and Alexander normal runs.

Yeap, the MSQs tend to keep you appropriately geared up but it assumes you're taking a single job through and not trying to split with other jobs at the same time. Dungeon drops are naturally good and you may want to save other pieces of gear if you intend to level other jobs to avoid not having up to date gear unless you buy vendor stuff or off the MB/craft them.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Woot! Finally completed AF2 DRG set. c:
    af2drg_by_riokenng3-d9bltzs.png

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Congrats, now just make sure you don't accidentally fall over while wearing it without some first aid nearby.

488W936.png
  • Options
    I think with this week's esos I will have everything I need on the WHM statwise. Instead of loading up with another eso (pie/crit) accessory, I settled on planning for a Spell Speed/Det gordian accessory which means the last accessory would be the earrings. Next week I could have the esos for the boots but statwise, they're kinda garbage for my goals so they'll just be there for glamour.

Then I'll start working on maybe AST gear which I think will take 7 weeks total to reach the saturation point

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    So, now I know what it is like for all those warriors that had to level gladiator just for provoke. :(

I've been wanting to play Astrologian, so I've been leveling basically just through Daily Roulette, and some dungeon runs, and I've gotten up into the mid-40's. So, I finally figured I need to get stoneskin (which seems like its basically a required skill for healers). Its kinda just annoying that I need to level Conjurer to 34. :(

Astro-lo-gee-an
    Astrol-o-gee-an

i'd rate swiftcast as the most important ability for healers to pick up, as you can use it to make your rez instant

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Astro-lo-gee-an
    Astrol-o-gee-an

i'd rate swiftcast as the most important ability for healers to pick up, as you can use it to make your rez instant

And your AoE heals instant while you're moving, or cast your big dump heal while moving. Or fire off a quick Aero III or Gravity or Shadowflare or just something else that has a long cast time. Or even if you really need to burst some healing such as hardcast Cure II -> Swiftcast Cure II -> Tetra though the situations where you need some 1900 potency healing in the space of 4s is... hmmm...

Swiftcast is more than just an instant rez. Explore what it can do!

On the other hand, Surecast is usually looked at as the red headed step kid. Its use is more limited but by no means is it less powerful under the right circumstances. If you're pre-casting against a bit AoE, surecast will make sure that it'll land after the damage goes out rather than get interrupted and whooops, you've just wasted 3 seconds and you still didn't get anything off.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I appreciate the advice. Luckily, I already have Black mage to level 30, so I already have swift and sure cast. :)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Swiftcast -> Shadowflare all day erry day as a SCH. Even out of Cleric Stance the damage reduction from the 5% Slow is worth it.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Flying back home today. Will be home in time for the fashion show, barring any delays!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    GRRR...how can I get access to my PS4 screenshots so I can post them here with my PC?!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I think your best options are to either copy them to a USB stick and move them off that way, or upload them to Twitter/Facebook then get them from there.

• Options
    I think your best options are to either copy them to a USB stick and move them off that way, or upload them to Twitter/Facebook then get them from there.

You can also message them to another PSN user, then use the PS app on your phone to pull the image out of the message.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm first to say here how awesome the fashion contest was! Pretty thrilled at winning a prize, given that the competition was pretty stiff.

Feels crazy, but the stage excitement was pretty intense. My hands were actually shaking a little bit as I tried to remember which emote button to hit next, was pretty fortunate I lined them all up beforehand. Gonna have to watch the video to see what I actually managed to pull off there. :confused:

But I followed the old advice; when you're nervous on stage, strip down to your underwear.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    The Fashion show was a roaring success we'll have video and lots of photos soon!

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Much like the Spanish Inquisition, we were not expecting to win a prize.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    The Fashion show was a roaring success we'll have video and lots of photos soon!

It also went on for about 2.5 hours. Longer than anticipated that's for sure.
    We'll need to figure out a way around the culling issues for next time; which probably means we can only have a certain number of people in the hall and the rest will have to watch it via streaming. Which is a pity but what can you do?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Fashion Show photo dump.

My personal favorite was Bri, Red Cat and Krom's Zelda sketch.

That was adorable.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Quickly looking over the screenshots taken, the thing I love most (though it may be a biased sample) is the variety of glamours people had for their characters.

This discussion has been closed.