As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lego Dimensions] It's a highly sophisticated inter-locking brick system...game..

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    on the update screen in the portal computer it only shows vehicles to upgrade so probably just cars.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I've got the starter pack and the Scooby/Shaggy pack.

I entered the Scooby world and have to help Mumsy-Doo and Dada-Doo on a creepy island.
    At on point I had to disguise myself as a woman to get past something.
    Scooby moves in the most Scooby way possible :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Goddamnit I'm mentally talking myself into buying this. There are 3 other games I intend to buy yet this year, and several more releasing in Q1 next year. I should not be spending money on this!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

i just heard Scooby sing the Batman theme :biggrin:

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    You guys know me. You know that i spend a TON on Lego and that I enjoy Lego games. Here's the thing. I was at a store looking at the sets. I was thinking, "maybe I should get Emmett or Benny so I can open up those areas in the levels."

But I already have those figures. I'd be buying them just for the ingame unlock so I get get something that in any other Lego game I'd be able to access by just unlocking the character in game. That really sucks and feels like a scam.

Like the Portal set, okay cool. There is no portal lego up till now. But the individual people just cost so much for basically getting less stuff in return.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I finally caved and about the BTTF level pack. I was thinking to myself that I could build it for fun so I can be ready to buy the game next Month- NOPE! The dang level pack doesn't come with instructions to build the Delorean or the hoverboard.

What the heck Lego?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    The instructions for building the accessories are only in the game. It's kinda dumb.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You guys know me. You know that i spend a TON on Lego and that I enjoy Lego games. Here's the thing. I was at a store looking at the sets. I was thinking, "maybe I should get Emmett or Benny so I can open up those areas in the levels."

But I already have those figures. I'd be buying them just for the ingame unlock so I get get something that in any other Lego game I'd be able to access by just unlocking the character in game. That really sucks and feels like a scam.

Like the Portal set, okay cool. There is no portal lego up till now. But the individual people just cost so much for basically getting less stuff in return.

Emmett and Benny arent going to unlock areas, only give you the ability to play as those characters and use the 'powers' they have. only the sets that specifically mention 'level pack' are going to open an adventure area.

So to anyone that has beaten it.

What are the 3-4 areas in the level select around the outer ring labeled as ??? ? I've also encountered figures in the game levels that have ? over there heads. any ideas what this is for ?

anyone found a good place to farm bits?

I noticed that in the DC world I could liberate the people stuck in the garage (with the ? over their heads) by using Wonder Woman's Lasso/Mind Control...

I saw in one portal with a ??? sign with 20 gold bricks, so I guess you unlock those levels after having found loads of gold bricks...

I have no clue how to gather studs, because as soon as I have them, I spend them on either level renovations or upgrading my vehicles...

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Emmett and Benny arent going to unlock areas, only give you the ability to play as those characters and use the 'powers' they have. only the sets that specifically mention 'level pack' are going to open an adventure area.

There are minikit pieces or other collectibles in game locked behind areas only accessibly by other characters like Emmett or Benny. In any other Lego game you would unlock these characters with studs and you'd need some specific guys to get everything.

In this you have to use real money to do the save thing.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

I think he means that their powers will open up secrets in the level; like needing a Ghostbuster to clear spirits.

Also, I just made a huge amount of money selling all the old video games in my closet and I want to get this. Is any store having a package deal on it or the sets or should I wait till Black Friday?

Magic Pink on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Each series set will unlock their world for free play and each has secret passages only they can get to but I think that's relegated to class. The starting 3 characters can unlock like 99% of the non series specific content

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    The thing is that until someone puts together a chart its kind of hard to see who can do what.

For instance, did you know the batmobile upgrades can give it the same ability to shatter glass and pull down walls that other figs have? there is quite a bit of overlap in terms of what figs can solve a particular problem but I've beaten the game and have yet to unlock anything other then the starting 3 figs + the chell figure i bought, I'm not sure yet how to unlock extra figs (There apparently is one in each game level, but i havent found a single one yet).

Also, im a bit confused. for instance, the scooby doo 'fun pack' does not specifically have the label that shows it as having an extra level, but isnt it true that there is one extra adventure level for each world already in the game accessable through the adventure mode? or has it not been patched in yet? The Portal fun pack i bought did specifically mention having a level pack, and I spent an hour running around it but have yet to find a point that it prompts me to put together the turrett/cube yet.

edited October 2015
    I think you are confusing fun packs with team packs.
    Team packs are basically level packs with two characters instead of one.
    Fun packs are standalone characters with one vehicle or gadget that do not unlock their levels. Like for example if I bought Bart fun pack, he won't unlock the Springfield level. I would need to buy the Level pack.

Also thanks to youtube I built the Delorean and Hoverboard! c:

Riokenn on
    But i thought i saw people talking about playing through the scooby doo adventure level, but that package does not say level pack on it.

But i thought i saw people talking about playing through the scooby doo adventure level, but that package does not say level pack on it.

Is there just a Scooby-doo level in the game?

In the main story game yes, but the way they described it it sounded like a different level.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    All I want is a stand-alone Lego Doctor Who game. Is that so much to ask? We're so close already! Most of the basic assets have already been made for Dimensions!

Gotta say, they did weeping angels justice. Less so with the daleks.

Ah I see what you mean @azith28
    The box doesn't have the big yellow square on the front saying level pack on the front so maybe it says it on the back?
    I know I've read somewhere that Team packs are basically level packs with two characters.

Riokenn wrote: »
    Ah I see what you mean @azith28
    The box doesn't have the big yellow square on the front saying level pack on the front so maybe it says it on the back?
    I know I've read somewhere that Team packs are basically level packs with two characters.

Level Packs have levels, Team Packs just have lots of characters.

So if thats the case how do you get Scooby Doo land?

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    You can get into any franchise specific hub world as long as you have at least one character active that is from that franchise. So if you have Scooby Doo active, then you can jump through his portal. There is no extra level for Scooby Doo, so you just need a character to get into that hub level.

There are only three extra levels available, so far, that need a specific level pack: Portal, Back to the Future, and Simpsons (Dr. Who and Ghostbusters level packs will be released later). The level pack characters are slightly different from the normal fun pack or team pack characters in that they allow access to their level. For example, having the Homer figure will let you access the extra Simpsons level and the Springfield hub area, but having Bart will only give you access to the Hub area. This also means that, should you not care about the level, you can wait and just get a corresponding fun pack character and get access. For example, I don't really need the extra Back to the Future level, but I do want access to the Hill Valley area, so I will get the Doc Brown fun pack when it's available.

Cururu on
    All minifigs unlock their level. Stage packs unlock a story mission thats otherwise unavailable in the main game. Homers for example is based on The mysterious journey of Homer.

If theres a Scooby level pack down the line itll unlock a new story mission. Right now only Back to the future, portal and the simpsons have level packs.

edited October 2015
    Sorry, still confused. Are you saying that Portal and Back to the future which have packs labled 'level pack' have the basic portal 2 hub location that i can go to AND an additional portal based level that i just have not found yet? or are you saying that i could buy one of the 'fun packs' with say the wicked witch, does that mean i can jump into the hub world for wizard of oz and play a level that is seperate and unique from the story level (yellow brick road).

Or are you saying that the wizard of oz hub level is not in the game (yet) other then the storyline level.

azith28 on
    Sorry, still confused. Are you saying that Portal and Back to the future which have packs labled 'level pack' have the basic portal 2 hub location that i can go to AND an additional portal based level that i just have not found yet? or are you saying that i could buy one of the 'fun packs' with say the wicked witch, does that mean i can jump into the hub world for wizard of oz and play a level that is seperate and unique from the story level (yellow brick road).

Or are you saying that the wizard of oz hub level is not in the game (yet) other then the storyline level.

Each franchise attached to the game has an "adventure" hub type world that you can access by going up the elevator in the bottom left of the main portal room. Once up the elevator, you will find smaller portals for each franchise. You can only jump through those portals and access the hub world for that franchise if you have a character for that franchise. Any character from that franchise will do.

In addition to these franchise "adventure" hub worlds, there are (currently) three characters (Homer, Chell, and Marty McFly) that will give you access to extra game levels. Later on there will be two more extra game levels that you can access with The Doctor and Peter Venkman figures. These levels are not accessed via the elevator, but are chosen through Level Select in the main game portal.

There are no extra game levels for any of the other franchises. For example, if you have the Wicked Witch of the West, then you have access to all of the Wizard of Oz content that will ever be available (the "adventure" hub world). Likewise, if you have just one of the Ninjago characters, then you have access to all of the Ninjago content that will ever be available. The same is true for all of the franchises represented in the game. You just need one character from each if you want to access their "adventure" hub world.

edited October 2015
    And it costs a minimum of $15 to access one those hub worlds.

Librarian's ghost on

edited October 2015

This is true, with the exception of the Lord of the Rings, DC Universe, and Lego Movie hub worlds since you already get a character from those games with the starter set.

There is actually quite a bit to play and do in just the starter set. Unless you have extra money to spend, or unless there's a particular franchise that you really want access to, I'd just stick with the base set and pick up more (as desired) down the line as you finish what is already available. No reason to get everything all at once. In fact, you can't actually build/use the vehicles that come with the character packs until you have cleared the corresponding game level for that character's franchise (Edit: Actually, that might just be true for the level pack vehicles. It occurs to me that I haven't tried it with a non-Wizard of Oz vehicle, and that was already after that level).

Although I do recommend the Portal pack. Both the game level and the extra level were superb.

Cururu on
    edited October 2015
    Ahh, so i do have an extra level from buying portal. I was wondering why the hell i never found the activation instructions for the cube/turret.

Kinda dissapointed Scooby doo doesnt have one yet, I'm not even a real fan of Scooby but the colors on his level was really cartoony and fun.

azith28 on
    Ahh, so i do have an extra level from buying portal. I was wondering why the hell i never found the activation instructions for the cube/turret.

Kinda dissapointed Scooby doo doesnt have one yet, I'm not even a real fan of Scooby but the colors on his level was really cartoony and fun.

Yeah, that threw me off too when I was trying to do the Simpsons extra level. I went to the Springfield hub and did a bunch of stuff trying to find someone that would start the level. I finally backed out and then noticed that it can be chosen through the Level Select on the main portal. You actually build the vehicles as part of the level itself, and they are needed to complete the level.

Well judging by this handy chart I don't think he ever get a level pack. (Well atleast for this version of Lego Dimensions) It's just the hub world for him.

Cururu wrote: »

This is true, with the exception of the Lord of the Rings, DC Universe, and Lego Movie hub worlds since you already get a character from those games with the starter set.

There is actually quite a bit to play and do in just the starter set. Unless you have extra money to spend, or unless there's a particular franchise that you really want access to, I'd just stick with the base set and pick up more (as desired) down the line as you finish what is already available. No reason to get everything all at once. In fact, you can't actually build/use the vehicles that come with the character packs until you have cleared the corresponding game level for that character's franchise (Edit: Actually, that might just be true for the level pack vehicles. It occurs to me that I haven't tried it with a non-Wizard of Oz vehicle, and that was already after that level).

Although I do recommend the Portal pack. Both the game level and the extra level were superb.

It still bugs me because that extra stuff is included in a normal lego game.

edited October 2015
    Cururu wrote: »

It still bugs me because that extra stuff is included in a normal lego game.

That's fair. Something like the most recent LEGO Marvel game had dozens of characters to unlock, and that was all included in the game. However, there is something fun about building the various vehicles that come with these sets. I think I've taken apart and put together Homer's TV three or four times now, finally settling on the TV mode. They've managed to incorporate the construction of the models in a very satisfying way, to me at least. Mild story spoiler
    When putting together the gate at the beginning of the game I was slightly confused by some of the asymmetry in the design, but as you progress through the game you discover that it is not the gate's final form, and that an additional NPC gets created from the extra parts that did not seem to fit.

Basically, I now get unreasonably excited whenever an assembly instruction book appears on the screen.

Cururu on
    Building is definitely one of the core aspects of the game. Was surprised to see all the tiny 85 pieces of lego from the bttf set would make a Delorean and hover board. I liked that, and I wanna do more of that so I can have fun with it in game.

Got the game.
    Few things
    the simpsons voice acting is shit. 99% of it is taken from old episodes Marge doesnt even talk. Easily the worst world next to ninjago to boot.

Speaking of theres an entire powerset locked to ninjago/chima so you'll have to buy one of them at some point.

Homers car should be upgraded asap. Its more useful than the batmobile overall. Homer and the car cover several abilities between them as well.

The game doesnt tell you about Gandalfs visual cue( stars) for some reason.

A lot of powers required are locked to unreleased sets. Its as annoying as you think

Aquaman is basically a mandatory figure. Hes got at least 2 unique powers

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is there any significant difference between consoles for this game?

BLM - ACAB
    Read through the thread and what is accessible with just the starter pack is confusing.

Primarily, I want to know if you get to play in Oz at all without having to buy the Witch pack. Is Oz part of the main story?

BLM - ACAB
    edited October 2015
    The Geek wrote: »
    Read through the thread and what is accessible with just the starter pack is confusing.

Primarily, I want to know if you get to play in Oz at all without having to buy the Witch pack. Is Oz part of the main story?

Theres an Oz stage. The Oz free roaming level is locked behind the figure requirement

King Riptor on
    The Geek wrote: »

Theres an Oz stage. The Oz free roaming level is locked behind the figure requirement

Gotcha. Is that true for other stages as well? Doctor Who, Portal, et al?

Do you get to play as any characters besides Batman, Gandalf, And Wildstyle without buying figures?

BLM - ACAB