As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chicago in November

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
Chicagoites; learn me some neat places to go that isn't a dang museum.

THANKS

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The Natural History Museum is the coolest thing in Chicago, though! Do you just not want museums because you're sick of them, or do you genuinely hate them? What do you think is cool?

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Maybe the Cubs will be in the World Series? Hahahahaha no way!

But sports stuff will be happening if you are interested. Football and basketball and soccer. And I guess there's a chance for the Cubs, but come on, no one really believes that.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The Natural History Museum is the coolest thing in Chicago, though! Do you just not want museums because you're sick of them, or do you genuinely hate them? What do you think is cool?

The entire itinerary right now is museum after museum after museum. I need to break that shit up.

Maybe the Cubs will be in the World Series? Hahahahaha no way!

But sports stuff will be happening if you are interested. Football and basketball and soccer. And I guess there's a chance for the Cubs, but come on, no one really believes that.

Nah, no sports, thanks tho.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Navy Pier is all touristy. I like the Shedd Aquarium. Check the dates when you're going, you can usually find some cool music playing somewhere.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Maggie Daley park has a lot of cool stuff like Mini Golf and a climbing wall and a huge huge children's playground. I'm not sure when in November you are going but at some point they open up the ice skating ribbon, which is like a lazy river but for ice skating.

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks/maggie-daley-park/

There is a cool Riverwalk that you can get to from around Wacker Drive and State St. Neat little storefronts and kind of scenic.

The Chicago Architecture Foundation does amazing tours from a boat that goes along the Chicago River. Dress warmly, as it's definitely a bit colder down on the water. Very highly recommended as a unique way to see the city and also they do a great job talking about history and architecture if that's your thing. They leave from around Michigan and Wacker. Beware of the knockoff tours that are nowhere near the same quality.

Everyone loves seeing the Bean in Millenium Park. It's right off Michigan Ave, a bit south of the River. There's also a cool little ice skating rink that opens up sometime in the winter, although wait times can get large during peak hours.

Bordel Chicago is a bar with live dancing. Definitely call ahead to make a reservation with a view of the dance area, as they fill up weeks in advance.

Whirlyball is super fun, although it's located a bit out of the way.

It's somewhat cheesy, but the view from the top of the Sears tower is pretty awesome. I think it's like $20 per adult or so. There's also a bar at the top of the John Hancock building (~800 North Michigan Ave) that also has amazing views and last I checked your only cost was having to buy at least a drink. I think they've added a glass lookout/observatory area as well. Wait times are obviously very long on Fri/Sat nights.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Maggie Daley park has a lot of cool stuff like Mini Golf and a climbing wall and a huge huge children's playground. I'm not sure when in November you are going but at some point they open up the ice skating ribbon, which is like a lazy river but for ice skating.

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks/maggie-daley-park/

There is a cool Riverwalk that you can get to from around Wacker Drive and State St. Neat little storefronts and kind of scenic.

The Chicago Architecture Foundation does amazing tours from a boat that goes along the Chicago River. Dress warmly, as it's definitely a bit colder down on the water. Very highly recommended as a unique way to see the city and also they do a great job talking about history and architecture if that's your thing. They leave from around Michigan and Wacker. Beware of the knockoff tours that are nowhere near the same quality.

Everyone loves seeing the Bean in Millenium Park. It's right off Michigan Ave, a bit south of the River. There's also a cool little ice skating rink that opens up sometime in the winter, although wait times can get large during peak hours.

Bordel Chicago is a bar with live dancing. Definitely call ahead to make a reservation with a view of the dance area, as they fill up weeks in advance.

Whirlyball is super fun, although it's located a bit out of the way.

It's somewhat cheesy, but the view from the top of the Sears tower is pretty awesome. I think it's like $20 per adult or so. There's also a bar at the top of the John Hancock building (~800 North Michigan Ave) that also has amazing views and last I checked your only cost was having to buy at least a drink. I think they've added a glass lookout/observatory area as well. Wait times are obviously very long on Fri/Sat nights.

This is good post not just because it is informative and helpful but because it reminded me that I haven't played Whirlyball in too damn long and live all of 10 minutes away from the Lombard location so I have no excuse.

@Magic Pink where abouts are you staying and how long are you in for?

Nov 6-9. No idea where we're staying.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Do you like record stores at all? That's pretty much all I did with my wife when we were there a couple years ago.

steam_sig.png
    If you can, look at going to a Second City comedy show, they are typically pretty good quality comedy and there's a large variety of shows to see.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I visit Chicago every now and then since it's two hours away and lots of bands I like make stops there. I don't have much to add to what's already been said; it's nice to go to the top of Willis Tower, even if it's a bit pricey. Navy Pier sucks.

A friend of ours took us to a place called Geek Bar a few months ago and it seemed neat. Apparently they've been having management issues, though. Our friend made us try a drink called Malört. She told us it would be awful. We tried it anyway. It was awful.

At least they didn't lie to you and say that Malort would be good.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Are you getting out to the suburbs?

If so, take a look at Level 257 in Schaumburg.
    It's a restaurant with a bunch of old NAMCO arcade machines. Machines are expensive, but the food and drinks are good.

MichaelLC wrote: »

It's a restaurant with a bunch of old NAMCO arcade machines. Machines are expensive, but the food and drinks are good.

!!!

Thanks all I will take these into consideration.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    As an alternative to going all the way out to Schaumburg, you can check out Headquarters Beercade on the north side. hqbeercade.com/

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Second City, do it. Very affordable, great value. Best thing I did in Chicago when I visited

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Eat deep dish pizza.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

!!!

ARS did a bit about Level 257 a while back, it looks friggin amazing.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »

!!!

It's cool and with checking or if you like old arcades. And the food was good. Store had a lot of themed items.

I guess what put me off is how they do the games. You buy a card for $X, and once you use it it has to be used up that day. Value doesn't carry over. Got some classic pinball which I played more of.

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »

!!!

It's cool and with checking or if you like old arcades. And the food was good. Store had a lot of themed items.

I guess what put me off is how they do the games. You buy a card for $X, and once you use it it has to be used up that day. Value doesn't carry over. Got some classic pinball which I played more of.

For the life of my I cannot believe it, but the nickel arcade is still open! Similar concept but more for all ages than a Dave & Buster's.
    This is on the Lake/Cook county border, but not too hard to get to.
    Back in the late 90s/ early 00s, this was an awesome way to kill an evening. $2 to get in and 0 to 4 or so nickels a credit. I may have to take my son there when I'm down for Thanksgiving.
    Wait, is this thread about me?

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Eat deep dish pizza.

but not geno's east

gross

*braces for impact*

edited October 2015
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Eat deep dish pizza.

but not geno's east

gross

*braces for impact*

Geno's is shit.

Gino's East however is fantastic.
    No, it's actually not so great

MichaelLC on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Eat deep dish pizza.

but not geno's east

gross

*braces for impact*

If you can get up to the Lincoln Park area, get the pizza pot pie at Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder. It's cash only also.

http://chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/

If you like meat, there's the Boefhaus. It's really popular right now, so if you can go at a slightly off time it's better.

http://www.boeufhaus.com/

If you want Mexican fine dining, Topolobampo is always good.

http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/topolobampo/