As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Batthread

• Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    Miller has earned my eternal hatred for what he did to Superman. The worst part is that everyone else seems to have taken it and run with it.

Last time, I checked, Superman wasn't a government stooge. Hell, he fights the military at one point in Morrison's JLA.

No kidding. Hell Supes was just on the governments shit list in Busieks arc. People forget it's an Elseworlds. Miller can write Batman / Superman however the fuck he wants..but it isn't canon.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Harrier wrote:
    Miller has earned my eternal hatred for what he did to Superman. The worst part is that everyone else seems to have taken it and run with it.

Last time, I checked, Superman wasn't a government stooge. Hell, he fights the military at one point in Morrison's JLA.

No kidding. Hell Supes was just on the governments shit list in Busieks arc. People forget it's an Elseworlds. Miller can write Batman / Superman however the fuck he wants..but it isn't canon.

He was only on their "shit list" because they thought he was a fake

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Harrier wrote:

Correct, but he wasn't on his hands and knees lapping at their palms, while a creepy old president rides around on a mobile cart.

Bad Karma on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Harrier wrote:

Correct, but he wasn't on his hands and knees lapping at their palms, while a creepy old president rides around on a mobile cart.

What, you don't like medals?

KalTorak on
    edited October 2006
    KalTorak wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Harrier wrote:

What, you don't like medals?

Gah...get it away.

Bad Karma on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Are we talking about DKR? Finally an excuse to post this picture.

05rh6.jpg

Bloods End on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Bloods End wrote:

05rh6.jpg
    Yes.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bloods End wrote:

snip
    Yes.
    Hahaa that's awesome.

I liked the scene in "Legends of the Dark Knight" from DKR- very faithful (well, two fights mushed into one faithful).

KalTorak on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2006
    Man, I may not have liked DKR that much but after reading Year Two I'm pretty sure I have to kill Todd McFarlane before my soul can leave this earth.

Tube on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I have to confess that I haven't read DKR yet because I have such a bad feeling that I'm not going to like it.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I paged through Year Two one time. And lived to survive the tale.

But hey I think it has Alan Davis in it. Drawing a character he's not really suited too.

august on
    edited October 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    I have to confess that I haven't read DKR yet because I have such a bad feeling that I'm not going to like it.

But it's goood.

Bad Karma on
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:

But it's goood.

Sorta.

august on
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:

But it's goood.

But I really don't think it's gonna be my sorta thing.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited October 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:

But it's goood.

But I really don't think it's gonna be my sorta thing.

Go to B&N and read it there! Thats why they have chairs.

Bad Karma on
    edited October 2006
    It's really good overall. There's some stuff that's really dumb but nothing major. Miller hadn't really hit the skids yet apparently.

Tube on
    edited October 2006
    But, I mean...

Batman shoots a guy?

Man...

I'm sure I'll end up reading it sometime, but I am really in no hurry.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited October 2006
    Well it's because of a [spoiler:48935d0a7b]hostage situation. But he smiles afterwards, which I found creepy.[/spoiler:48935d0a7b]

august on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Jordyn, you should just skip to Dark Knight Strikes Back.

You know that homeless guy who sits at the front of the bus and talks to the driver all day? It's like reading his diary. So great.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited October 2006
    I haven't been on a lot of busses that aren't school busses.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited October 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Well anyway it's totally gonzo insane.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited October 2006
    august wrote:
    Well it's because of a [spoiler:aa87419472]hostage situation. But he smiles afterwards, which I found creepy.[/spoiler:aa87419472]
    That didn't look like a smile to me...

Anyway Jordyn, I think it's worth reading - there's a lot of good stuff there, and it's not canon so you can just treat it as an interesting diversion if you like. It's actually the book that got me back into reading comics.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2006
    It;s been years, but I;ll have to check that out.

august on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:
    Well anyway it's totally gonzo insane.

HEART HEART

yes dksb is ultrafantastic

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I enjoyed how mad Barry was when he saw what Carrey did to his costume.

Some of the art was good, but the story was pretty cracked out crazy.

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DKSA had a few cool moments; [spoiler:60089865aa]Captain Marvel's death, the Question's introduction, and Elongated Man facing off against Plastic Man were especially standout.[/spoiler:60089865aa]

Unfortunately, it also had a lot of crap, with the crappiness only compounded due to mediocre art; [spoiler:60089865aa]Batman cutting off Dick's head, Dick being some crazy regenerating Joker, J'onn getting killed by getting soaked with gasoline and lit on fire, Superman and Wonder Woman's fucking causing massive global weather changes, Ollie becoming a parody of himself, Hawk-kids out of nowehere to murder Luthor, and it just goes on and on.[/spoiler:60089865aa]

Munch on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    Those spoilers make DKSA sound like the most awful thing in the world, but fuck I want to read it to see how bad it is.

Garlic Bread on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2006
    It is TERRIBLE. You have no idea.

A duck! on
    edited October 2006
    I've seen some scans

the art makes me throw up in my mouth

maybe one day I'll sit at Barnes & Noble and read it. If they have it in their comics section that is about a 20th of the size of the manga section

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2006
    This thread makes me want to get the Absolute Dark Knight now, but not for the cover price. Maybe I can find it cheap on ebay.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    This thread makes me want to get the Absolute Dark Knight now, but not for the cover price. Maybe I can find it cheap on ebay.
    amazon has it pretty cheap I think

deadonthestreet on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I've seen some scans

the art makes me throw up in my mouth

maybe one day I'll sit at Barnes & Noble and read it. If they have it in their comics section that is about a 20th of the size of the manga section
    Oh God I thought it was just my B&N. D:

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited October 2006
    "Get out of my cave."

There, you don't have to read DKSA now. That's pretty much the best part.

KalTorak on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm thinking I need to read DKSA just to see how godawful it can be. I have a penchant for punshing myself with these things.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    To be fair, the [spoiler:0621055746]Hawk kids[/spoiler:0621055746]

didn't precisely "come out of nowhere".

[spoiler:0621055746]Earlier, Batman and Co. go down to wherever they live, which Luthor had nuked or something. Bruce told them he'd "help them get revenge" or something like that. Presumably he brought them back to Gotham with him.[/spoiler:0621055746]

But yeah, the rest of that is pretty spot on.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • cpiocpio Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, everybody knows Dark Knight Returns is [spoiler:49ce5091be] Balls Nasty [/spoiler:49ce5091be] though why all the Frank Miller hate? Granted he has churned out some pretty horrible stuff at times (robocop 3, new batman and robin, DKSA etc) but the man does have his high points. (sin city, 300, DKR)

cpio on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    cpio wrote:
    Man, everybody knows Dark Knight Returns is [spoiler:90c62e3527] Balls Nasty [/spoiler:90c62e3527] though why all the Frank Miller hate? Granted he has churned out some pretty horrible stuff at times (robocop 3, new batman and robin, DKSA etc) but the man does have his high points. (sin city, 300, DKR)

The high points are all in the past and the pretty horrible stuff is the only thing he's making these days.

Lux on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lux wrote:
    cpio wrote:
    Man, everybody knows Dark Knight Returns is [spoiler:1e1e3e3029] Balls Nasty [/spoiler:1e1e3e3029] though why all the Frank Miller hate? Granted he has churned out some pretty horrible stuff at times (robocop 3, new batman and robin, DKSA etc) but the man does have his high points. (sin city, 300, DKR)

The high points are all in the past and the pretty horrible stuff is the only thing he's making these days.
    he should do a book with John Byrne.

It would be thematically apt.

Conditional_Axe on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    DKR is not a bad book. It is an interesting elseworlds. The problem is that for nearly twenty years after its publication, it was thematically canon for most things Batman. Paranoid to the point of breaking the character, utterly emotionless, Batman as The Man who beats everyone and everything, Superman is a moron and so on. All that would have been fine, if kept to Elseworlds.

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2006
    DKR is apparently one of his high points, and let's face it, it wasn't really that good. He doesn't pay any attention to the characters he's writing.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.