As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MGSV: a logo creation program with a stealth minigame attached

19596979899101»

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Also a problem with holding up enemies is if they decide to take a swipe at you, what do you do? You can't cqc counter. If you back away they go on alert after the swipe. You can't dive into them or otherwise do anything to them prior to the swipe.
    Does moving around in front of them while they are putting down their weapon stop them from doing this? If not, every hold up is a risk to your no traces run.

edit: No Traces requires No CQC. You can't fix this problem with CQC, ie you can't slam them if the interrogation options don't show up, they don't turn blue, they drop their hands, or any other telltale like that, because this will also instantly cancel No Traces. It's a problem unique to playthroughs gunning for the secret "No Traces" bonus.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Also a problem with holding up enemies is if they decide to take a swipe at you, what do you do? You can't cqc counter. If you back away they go on alert after the swipe. You can't dive into them or otherwise do anything to them prior to the swipe.
    Does moving around in front of them while they are putting down their weapon stop them from doing this? If not, every hold up is a risk to your no traces run.

If they don't immediately turn blue then they're going to come at you, just cqc them right when you see they're still red. On Extreme/Total Steal/Subsistence they do this 99% of the time.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

If they don't immediately turn blue then they're going to come at you, just cqc them right when you see they're still red. On Extreme/Total Steal/Subsistence they do this 99% of the time.

CQC breaks no traces.

No traces requires

No kills
    No alert status (suspicions are fine)
    No reflex
    Do not press the trigger with any weapon. Aiming is fine, cannot fire.
    No CQC
    No kicking
    No attacks while controlling a vehicle or walker gear
    No Buddy attacks
    No supply drop
    Never reappear if you use a cardboard box
    No score/rank restricting items/techniques.

There's a reason speed and I are doing this as the challenge run.

Dis shit is hard. All the sneaky tricks and shit you can use for perfect stealth and easy S ranks, you can't for no traces. You gotta know the mission inside and out.

You can restart from checkpoint. I restarted the first real mission from checkpoint a few times and still got it. Although, you know, people will know. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

If you hold someone up, immediately try to interrogate them and the options don't appear, slam they ass

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    JAVqhfr.jpg

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    It seems people are having trouble with the "No Traces" part of Morninglord's and Speed's insane quest.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I did do beat this game

I have 87 hours in it (though probably 30 of that was re-done to get gun customization)

I wish it was longer

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Baidol wrote: »
    It seems people are having trouble with the "No Traces" part of Morninglord's and Speed's insane quest.

I think its possibly getting confused with "Perfect Stealth, No Kills".

"No Traces" doesn't show up in the score screen unless you successfully complete the conditions for it.

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

CQC breaks no traces.

No traces requires

No kills
    No alert status (suspicions are fine)
    No reflex
    Do not press the trigger with any weapon. Aiming is fine, cannot fire.
    No CQC
    No kicking
    No attacks while controlling a vehicle or walker gear
    No Buddy attacks
    No supply drop
    Never reappear if you use a cardboard box
    No score/rank restricting items/techniques.

There's a reason speed and I are doing this as the challenge run.

Dis shit is hard. All the sneaky tricks and shit you can use for perfect stealth and easy S ranks, you can't for no traces. You gotta know the mission inside and out.

You can restart from checkpoint. I restarted the first real mission from checkpoint a few times and still got it. Although, you know, people will know. :)
    Sometimes I can read

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

If you hold someone up, immediately try to interrogate them and the options don't appear, slam they ass

or push into them enough to jostle them and then immediately hold them up again, since that resets the RNG for whether or not the holdup actually works

but that only works if they try to fake you out with the counter; you don't have any way of responding stealthily and nonviolently if they immediately attack, which makes using holdups tricky if you're going for the no traces bonus

edited October 2015
    I don't think you can jostle them and get no traces.

edit: I just tested it and you can't.

Basically.

You can't touch anyone. The only physical interaction you can do is fulton them.

Morninglord on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Finally time to shelve the old logo and make some new hotness

74zpNji.jpg

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Skull is a weird name for your penis
    LbVchbI.gif

MC Hammer would be good at No Traces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

This is the first open world game I've ever beat.

which makes sense because it isn't really an open world game.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    it is an open world game it's just not a ubisoft

PNk1Ml4.png
    Yeah but I also never finish your skyrims or fallouts or GTAs either

edited October 2015
    The ubisoft games aren't bad if you turn off the most annoying parts of the UI.
    I can't get into bethesda games either.
    Loved new vegas tho.

Morninglord on
    mgsv actually does remind me of far cry 1/2 and crysis 1

PNk1Ml4.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    mgsv actually does remind me of far cry 1/2 and crysis 1

I definitely reminded me of a lot of what people said about far cry 2, which is all the "oh god everything has gone wrong I need to us whatever tools I've got to survive"

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    no loot for stamina kills on bosses?!?!?

you call this a fucking metal gear

liEt3nH.png
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Two things:

Missions 45 and it's aftermath is TOTAL AND UTTER BULLSHIT. . . Except for that little bit looking for footprints. That was good.

And, two, let's get real here, folks: Has the cardboard box ever worked for anybody ever during the entire history of Metal Gear Solid? Because I've been playing this thing since 1999 and it works about as well as it would work in real life.

edited October 2015
    Two things:

Missions 45 and it's aftermath is TOTAL AND UTTER BULLSHIT. . . Except for that little bit looking for footprints. That was good.

And, two, let's get real here, folks: Has the cardboard box ever worked for anybody ever during the entire history of Metal Gear Solid? Because I've been playing this thing since 1999 and it works about as well as it would work in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9aH3aDkSTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-HKU1EiVEI

Seriously though, the point of the box is when someone is about to round the corner way too close and you get in the box. It's not for actual walking around in peoples line of sight.
    What you do is use it to advance when they aren't looking, then when they turn around and could see you, there's just this box there. They don't investigate it unless it's moved in their line of sight.

You can also use it to bring people over to CQC them.

Morninglord on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    I'd say I've used it successfully multiple times, but I think I count as one of those.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The cardboard box makes for excellent bait/disabling of guards if you put the right sticker on it and go to town. I will not have anyone talk mess about the box

If I could, I would leave a box on people's FOBs, just so they know what fucked up their mans.

e: I like the idea of the no traces run. Do you guys have gear/rank restrictions? Are there missions where no traces is impossible? (There are a few that come to mind where I'd assume so)

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited October 2015
    Yeah. Any mission where you have to blow up stuff, anything with choppers (although apparently fultoning containers can take out choppers), missions where the objective is boss fights.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718564-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain/72508312

This guy made a nice list.
    So that's Prologue(?), 4, 11, 13, 23(?), 29, 31(?) and any replays of the same. Unless someone can think of ways to get No Traces without breaking the rules on those missions.

Morninglord on
    edited October 2015
    Cool, I'm in. Are you doing no traces, all side objectives?

e: do magazines count against no traces?

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If nothing else, the boxes are handy for fast travel and stopping patrolling vehicles.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    el_vicio wrote: »

Yep.

No touchy, nothing that shows any indication you were there.

It's basically "Ghost" in Thief.

The rules are, I think, minimum deployment cost (down to 540), fast as possible and no traces.
    Getting both maximum Speed and No traces are the key.

If this is reallllllly easy, we might go for objectives. I will anyway.

edited October 2015
    My favorite thing about the FOBs is that I've been trading blows back and forth with another player over the last few days.
    What pains me most: at one point, they had a nuke, and I got caught/shot to death basically two steps away from it

so
    close
    el_vicio wrote: »

Yep.

No touchy, nothing that shows any indication you were there.

It's basically "Ghost" in Thief.

The rules are, I think, minimum deployment cost (down to 540), fast as possible and no traces.
    Getting both maximum Speed and No traces are the key.

If this is reallllllly easy, we might go for objectives. I will anyway.

So no night vision either? Hm!

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Okay, first solid attempt at mission one - unfortunately I had to retry once, but I should be able to do it without any. Nice challenge so far
    g8vf7bpyuqql.jpg

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I get this FOB thing
    Can someone explain it?

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    upgrading your fob gives you room for more men and lets you harvest resources faster

when a fob is invaded, the fob owner can steal all of the resources stored on the platform they're invading, and if they make it to the platform core, they get a handful of soldiers assigned to that platform. level up your security team and research security devices to make it harder to get invaded

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Can you deliberately support specific FOB's? I want to help guard people's lucre

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    You can't

Presumably if you could friends would just let each other grind victory points

PNk1Ml4.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    LP wrapped up Chapter 1 today!

Now to figure out how to record Chapter 2 and its weird-ass structure.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Code Talker tapes
    Huh, so the Cobra Unit were parasite hosts?

Now I'm sad that we'll never see what could have been the potential return of BEE TOMMYGUN

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    upgrading your fob gives you room for more men and lets you harvest resources faster

when a fob is invaded, the fob owner can steal all of the resources stored on the platform they're invading, and if they make it to the platform core, they get a handful of soldiers assigned to that platform. level up your security team and research security devices to make it harder to get invaded

Hmm
    Neat

This discussion has been closed.