As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lets Play Alien Isolation] Part 8 Still Medical

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Came for Aliens, stayed for the crazy Morninglord-as-antennae mystery. This thread just keeps getting better and better.

Melkster on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    Came for Aliens, stayed for the crazy Morninglord-as-antennae mystery. This thread just keeps getting better and netter.

For sure. But boy, I can't wait to see him dealing with the off-the-leash alien in Medical.

Game spoilers:
    And lower medical.
    And whether or not he screws up and fights the humans on the way to get the compression cylinder.
    And how the whole "trap the alien" thing works out.
    But mostly? I want to see and hear the reaction to Reactor Maintenance. Medical is what people talk about, sure. But only because they're too traumatized to speak of Reactor Maintenance. I was watching Markiplier's runthrough again, and I kept wanting to yell at him "FASTER, YOU FOOL!"

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    "Dealing with" has implications of competence and strategy.
    I am not sure these are appropriate words.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I am a sucker for each and every let's play of this game. I just got to
    Seegson's Synthetics

in my current playthrough.

• Options
    "Dealing with" has implications of competence and strategy.
    I am not sure these are appropriate words.

Oh no, you misunderstand. It's not really so much that you deal with the alien. If how you deal with your situation. I expect the typical cycle.

First comes denial. "I heard it go back into the vents. I'm going to be fine if I move around, I have time to grab some supplies and make this medkit." Then comes anger. "NO! NO! I just heard you go into the vents. You can't be out already! FUCK!" Next comes bargaining. "OK, OK, OK. Don't come this way. Go into the vents. Stay away from the door. Please. Just do this thing for me. Just this once." After bargaining comes depression. "Fine. Come this way. EAT ME. I don't care anymore. You can't hurt me any more if I'm dead." And then acceptance.
    It's... an animal. A big, stupid animal with a dumb face. I'm a goddamned human being. I'M THE ONE ON THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN. Yes, I have no weapons. That doesn't matter. This asshole can't even understand fire or door handles. I'm from the superior species. Hell, I'm the superior hunter. I could stalk it more effectively than it can stalk me. I've been acting like a prey animal, trying to crawl or hide or sprint. It's a predator, and doing that just makes me its prey. When I walk, calmly and with purpose and direction, when I show no fear, when I judiciously use the tools that my superior brain gives me access to, the alien absolutely cannot deal with that.

The alien is absolutely not equipped to deal with a fearless and superior predator, and acting like one is the key to victory.
    (Gameplay spoilers, of a sort)

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Yep none of that is in that twenty minutes. I guarantee it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Just letting you guys know that there likely wont be an update until next week. I've been pretty sick over the last week and I'm currently taking a short course at open2study, which ends this weekend. I'm behind a bit so I'm going to need my spare time to finish it up.
    After that I'll resume work on the lets play.
    Sorry I thought I could do both at once but the flu don't give no shits about optimistic plans like that.

Also I wanted to share something.

Basically when I am really into something its like my brain keeps trying to run through it when I'm sleeping. My dreams will be really specific. If I like something, it'll dream about playing it, and sometimes I'll come up with ideas. For example, when playing Prototype I would dream of running through the city streets. By this I mean I would dream of the specific in game actions like "dash" or "holding jump", as if I was actually playing it, because it was difficult to do precisely in that game and so I basically "practiced" in my dreams. I also do this for a few days when I first get a really good action game, I run through combos and repeat enemy actions in my head.
    When I'm like this I'm not really sleeping properly, it's more like I'm half awake.
    My current problem is figuring out how to get from one area to another and back again knowing that it could come from any direction, so in my dreams I've basically been reenacting various plans in that little area and mr Stompy has been providing his services by helpfully reminding me that no matter where I throw a flare or noisemaker, he could end up coming from the other direction to where I expect, so I should throw it from here and then hide here, but no if I do that he could come from there, so I should hide like this....oh but then he might turn around too early, maybe I should hide over by the door, oh but then he might see me as he comes running past me, so maybe I should try it in the corridor, oh but then I don't know which side of the corridor he could be coming from, so I should have my tracker running and check before walking in the other direction, oh but I might not have enough time to walk around the corner if he comes sprinting in....

They're not quite straight nightmares, because I'm problem solving. But they are kind of frustrating because there's not going to be any further resolution until I actually play the game. They're also generally extremely tense dreams, because whenever I think about where he might be coming from in the dreams I hear his stomping footsteps accompanied by rising dread. Usually when I have these kinds of problem solving lucid dreams they're exciting instead, because I enjoy what I'm dreaming about so much it is stuck in my head.
    Also unlike most of my general dreams and nightmares, I generally remember the details of these kinds of dreams pretty clearly. I normally don't remember my dreams at all.

I just thought that would be interesting to report. :) I personally find this to be a pretty interesting experience, because I've never had a "scary game" get stuck in my head like this before, because they're generally pretty simple games so there's nothing I need to "work out", no unresolved problems at the back of my mind that I'm trying to solve. But it is pretty distracting which is why I'm going to wait until after I've finished studying this short course before I play anymore, since I've run through as much as I can possible think of without playing anymore, so I've stopped having those dreams. For now anyway! Once I get past this section I'm sure I'll end up dreaming about the next part I am stuck on.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Just beat this on the PS4 and then went back to the PC version to dink around with different difficulties.

Man, what a difference 60 fps and ultra settings make. Been a while since I've had a console to compare with. Still highly recommended for whatever platform you can get it on.

God I love this game so much. I need a sequel.

• Options
    I seriously doubt I will get around to continuing this until WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAA fever has subsided a bit.
    I'm a bit surprised because I've never been this into a metal gear before. It got me bad.

But I haven't forgotten! It's always at the back of my mind. Slavering.

• Options
    Okay! If all goes well the next update will be tomorrow. Uploading tonight. Then the second half the day after.

• Options
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    what a tease, we were just getting to the fun part :D
    the xeno just wants to sit down and discuss your healthcare plan with you

looking forward to when you get the noisemaker to experiment with too(or did I miss that?)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    OH SHIT
    I forgot to upload the last part last night.

Oh damn.

I'm a tool. Sorry! I'll make sure it happens tonight.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMUg-4Dg6hg&feature=youtu.be

There was a police siren outside during part of this. I couldn't noise remove it. I silenced as much as I could, but it will crop up behind my voice here and there for about a minute.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Why does he crawl around?
    I gotta say I love that kill animation because during it the alien is all like "RAAAAAAAAAAWR wait hang on. Shit. I missed. I. Just. Hang on. *crawls around* just gimme a sec *continues crawling around* okay there we go sorry about that RAAAAAAAAAAA"

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I love that slow "Nope Nope Nope" shuffle backwards at 3:36.

EDIT: Meant 7:36.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    cB557 wrote: »
    I gotta say I love that kill animation because during it the alien is all like "RAAAAAAAAAAWR wait hang on. Shit. I missed. I. Just. Hang on. *crawls around* just gimme a sec *continues crawling around* okay there we go sorry about that RAAAAAAAAAAA"

It ruins the killing machine feel to me. It wants to eat me, not psychologically mess with me. Most of the other animations are up front. It'd be scarier if you suddenly had claws around the edges of the screen as it grabs you from behind, you got picked up and then... lights out.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Fakefaux wrote: »

? I think you got the time stamp wrong. I'm just looking at a tape at 3:36.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

You're quite right, I meant 7:36.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »

It ruins the killing machine feel to me. It wants to eat me, not psychologically mess with me. Most of the other animations are up front. It'd be scarier if you suddenly had claws around the edges of the screen as it grabs you from behind, you got picked up and then... lights out.

Story spoilers:
    It's an animation of a thing that subtly hints at a plot point later in the game.

• Options

You're quite right, I meant 7:36.

Ah yes. I was worried it was going to come round the corner.

• Options
    Sorry for being so silent, it was shock and adrenaline. I shut down all non essential processes in fight or flight mode.

So, like, if there's random stretches of complete silence, that means I'm really scared.

• Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular

EDIT: Meant 7:36.

hah, the first time I played this section I did that...and kept doing it until I found myself back in the doctor's room where I cowered in a locker for 5 mins

(I probably got about 1/3 of the way through the game before I realized that hiding under tables/desks/etc is a much better move than lockers, since it allows you to scan 360 degrees rather than just directly ahead)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, you can craft and use items from under tables.

• Options
    I didn't expect to be able to use items under tables.
    Will a pipe bomb kill me from point blank range?

• Options

Generally yes.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    One piece of advice: do not underestimate the ability to place certain items on the ground as proximity devices. I noticed you experimented with that a bit previously. Leaving a flashbang in your wake to A) slow the alien down and B) let you know when it's on your tail can be invaluable.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    Don't you worry. I learnt all about placing items in the next session.
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Generally yes.

What about if I ping it just around the edge of a desk or door so there's an object between me and the blast.

• Options
    Don't you worry. I learnt all about placing items in the next session.

Generally yes.

What about if I ping it just around the edge of a desk or door so there's an object between me and the blast.

You can't really "ping" pipebombs or molotovs. They explode on impact when thrown.. They can, however, be turned into proximity mines.

• Options
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ahaha.
    Hey, alien. Your face is isolation.

• Options
    Ah, you discovered that he looks under tables if you use them a lot.

• Options
    Ah, you discovered that he looks under tables if he's seen you go into a room and knows you must be in there.

• Options
    Gameplay spoilers (no plot spoilers)
    The most evil thing that this game does is it gives you things that look like they're super helpful but actually lead to you dying more often. The alien can hear the motion tracker. Lockers are death traps - they lure people in and hold them there until the alien is ready for lunch. Even the guns - they mostly just summon in the alien like a bat out of hell.

I know some people have called it bad design, but I think that it's absolutely brilliant. They give you a whole bunch of big red buttons and then don't explain the consequences and let the players figure it out - or not.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    The most evil thing that this game does is it gives you things that look like they're super helpful but actually lead to you dying more often. The alien can hear the motion tracker. Lockers are death traps - they lure people in and hold them there until the alien is ready for lunch. Even the guns - they mostly just summon in the alien like a bat out of hell.

I know some people have called it bad design, but I think that it's absolutely brilliant. They give you a whole bunch of big red buttons and then don't explain the consequences and let the players figure it out - or not.

People have talked about that stuff outside of spoilers in the main ai thread too much for you to worry about spoiling it now man. I'm not completely blind. It's more of an exploration of how do I, a man who normally kills the thing he fears, deal with a game where I cannot.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I feel like the people who call it bad design just don't get that game experiences can be about more than simply power trips; if people wanted a horror game where they end up as a devastating killing machine, they could've just played Dead Space or one of the action-oriented Resident Evil games instead. Isolation is one of the rare few "survival horror" games where survival is really a thing. You don't win, you really survive despite being outgunned and outclawed.

Anyway, I get some wry amusement out of watching these videos and seeing the same sort of tension overload that hammered me in the game. I've been playing games for ever and ever, yet this game still had me fumbling with items at critical moments because I just couldn't think straight. All the alien bits really are a struggle with the instinct to run the hell away from the kill machine and instead do patient, rational things; getting caught out in the open with it stalking nearby is such a horrible feeling, but it's also pretty great when you keep your cool and it wanders off without incident.

• Options
    It really didn't help that I had a horrible cold, was dosed up on on cold and flu meds, which interact with my adhd meds and make me really vague and woosy.

• Options
    edited October 2015

I feel like the people who call it bad design just don't get that game experiences can be about more than simply power trips; if people wanted a horror game where they end up as a devastating killing machine, they could've just played Dead Space or one of the action-oriented Resident Evil games instead. Isolation is one of the rare few "survival horror" games where survival is really a thing. You don't win, you really survive despite being outgunned and outclawed.

Anyway, I get some wry amusement out of watching these videos and seeing the same sort of tension overload that hammered me in the game. I've been playing games for ever and ever, yet this game still had me fumbling with items at critical moments because I just couldn't think straight. All the alien bits really are a struggle with the instinct to run the hell away from the kill machine and instead do patient, rational things; getting caught out in the open with it stalking nearby is such a horrible feeling, but it's also pretty great when you keep your cool and it wanders off without incident.

Thinking calmly and clearly was definitely the key to my Nightmare run. I don't think that I've ever felt so godlike in a video game as when I made it through a certain very... fun and exciting... area without needing to use a certain very important consumable. In that moment, I was the alpha predator, and it felt good.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    This lets play is officially my psyche laid bare over time.

So I have been hiding from this game with various excuses and just uploading what I've already done. Not gonna hide from that, I'm shit scared.

But that's why I made this lets play, so that I would be forced to continue out of duty, because I want to finish it. I want to experience this.

But I'm super good at deceiving and distracting myself with excuses, and despite telling myself I would record another update last weekend, I put it off constantly with the knowledge I could do it tomorrow, just one day, it wont hurt. Cos all the construction near my place had stopped.

Even rewatched the last update to try and understand the rooms I'd gone through better, cos I sure as hell wasn't able to take them in at the time. Turns out my nightmares had been based on faulty layouts!
    Even just watching that update is hard for me. But I made myself do it, and I understand what happened a lot better.

Basically my guilty conscience finally drove me to set up my day so I could record again.

Two days ago, the very day I actually honest to god was gonna record another one, scouts honor (I was actually a scout btw), they started up "emergency construction", apparently, that will last till next tuesday, in the building next door.

I felt a weird mix of disappointment, annoyance, relief and shame. In that order.

This game is doing all the things to me I expected it to do. :)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    So I've been hoping it wouldn't take so long but yeah.

for those who don't know last saturday I got a kidney stone.

I'm not likely to be continuing to play this game until I'm fully over this because it makes me tense up like a motherfucker, which makes my stomach hurt like blazes cos all the muscles around that area aren't having a good week. So its on hold until I get over this.