As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Superhero] fun train has no brakes!

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Are they above average of the normal human? Do they fight crime/other above average people? They are a super hero.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Is Phoenix Wright a superhero

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    How does the superhero thread feel about a guy who is a hero as a hobby?

Is this a thing

cause a guy who goes heroing but only like on the weekends and doesn't take it super seriously could actually be interesting

He loves fighting in theory but he's gotten so good at it that there's no tension anymore, so he can only consider it a hobby because it only makes him feel slightly less bored. He cares about people and everything, but finds it hard to bring himself to any real emotion because his world kind of sucks and people die every day no matter what he does

It's....actually really good?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Is this a thing

cause a guy who goes heroing but only like on the weekends and doesn't take it super seriously could actually be interesting

Well, it's not only on weekends, but yeah. He takes it much, much less seriously than, say, special sale day at the local supermarket.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

eat your hamburgers, Mr. G

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Are they above average of the normal human? Do they fight crime/other above average people? They are a super hero.

Welcome to the UFC thread, where we discuss above average humans fighting other above average people in a steel cage.

Coming up next...

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

This is a weak definition.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

phoenix wright defeated brock lesnar, the 1 in 21 and 1, in the ring

he's certainly superhuman

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Is this a thing

Well, it's not only on weekends, but yeah. He takes it much, much less seriously than, say, special sale day at the local supermarket.

Is this One Punch Man we are talking about here?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Is this a thing

yup

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    David_T wrote: »

Welcome to the UFC thread, where we discuss above average humans fighting other above average people in a steel cage.

Coming up next...

Well, they have a comic book artwork soo....
    092614-UFC-181-DC-Comic-Book-IA-CH.vadapt.320.medium.18.jpg

Morkath on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You got One Punch Man'd, Superhero thread

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I do wonder how much of Anka's new S-man 2099 costume will be drawn. It's very busy

http://kristaferanka.tumblr.com/post/130355831738/the-evolution-of-spider-man-2099-a1-a3-so-it

DouglasDanger on
  • Options

Is this a thing

yup

sounds pretty cool

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

Is this a thing

yup

sounds pretty cool

I am not an anime man

this show is cool enough for me to watch it and want to talk about it with people

it kind of subverts the "shonen" genre - the type of stories aimed at young boys about protagonists getting more and more powerful to match up their increasingly dangerous opponents

a la dbz

what do you do when, from the word go, you're already the most powerful person out there, so much so that there's no challenge for you anymore

and yet for all your strength you get no respect and can affect no change

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    besides being a parody and a subversion, it's also a pretty good take on depression

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    but it's not subversive in a way that challenges the viewer for liking the base product, a la Madoka

madoka tries to imply there's something wrong with you for liking magical girl anime

one punch man doesn't think you're shit for liking shonen stuff

• Options
    I actually think one of my favorite things about OPM is that the artist/author can't draw well, or not professionally well at least, but he has such a good handle on panel composition and action that it's still very fun to read.

Like you're reading this comic that looks terrible at first glance, and the more you get into it you realize it's actually well constructed despite the art.

• Options
    are we talking about tails gets trolled now?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    My favorite hero in One Punch Man is probably License-less Rider.

Dude's power: He has a bike. That's it.

And the great thing is, he knows how useful it is against evil. It's not like he's a total idiot who charges up to Godzilla with a bicycle and goes "I can take 'im."

He's a guy who knows his limits, and when duty calls, he steps up anyway.

He's also the gatekeeper for C ranked heroes, and keeps the position because

1) He'd get his ass kicked at B rank.
    2) If he's the guy letting people go to B rank, he can make sure they won't get their ass kicked.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I actually think one of my favorite things about OPM is that the artist/author can't draw well, or not professionally well at least, but he has such a good handle on panel composition and action that it's still very fun to read.

Like you're reading this comic that looks terrible at first glance, and the more you get into it you realize it's actually well constructed despite the art.

and then you read the Murata version

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Murata is incredible, this is true. My dream, after seeing the Marvel art he's done, is that they'll get him working on some Western comics at some point.

But there's absolutely a certain charm to ONE's original comic.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm just chuckling over the last few pages, first, power rangers talk, then a bunch of complaining over power rangers talk....

and now Anime,

REAP WHAT YOU HAVE SOWN

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    hey guys you know which group of teens pretty much had superpowers that's right it's the animorphs

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Is Charlie Tunoku a superhero

• Options
    hey guys you know which group of teens pretty much had superpowers that's right it's the animorphs

fortunately, there's a thread for that!

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    guys if you think about it aren't the users in tron like superheroes? also please watch Tron Uprising it's real good and has good characters and is the best written TRON property by far.

• Options
    they even had secret identities

• Options
    oh, like kamen rider?

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I bought comic books. I started with Batman Earth One, Volumes I&II. I bought them to have in case the hurricane knocked out power, but I ended up reading them instead.
    They are very good.

• Options

Wasn't one of the spaceships in that series a spiky death star?

• Options

Wasn't one of the spaceships in that series a spiky death star?

there was definitely a yeerk spaceship that was described as "essentially a battleaxe"

• Options
    oh, like kamen rider?

Waiter, there's too much salt on my food...

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Perhaps this thread will answer the ultimate question: who would win in a fight between Lex Luthor and Freeza?

• Options
    oh, like kamen rider?

Waiter, there's too much salt on my food...
    i'm sorry, I must have put this on there

• Options
    (i'm not a good waiter)

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Good tagline too; though I'd rather read a 2099 book that actually takes place in 2099, personally.

Does it not?
    Isn't Captain America 2099 supposed to be in it?

I mean, I don't know how else to interpret "fighting crime before his time"

I can only come up with 'hero displaced to past', which pretty much prevents it from taking place in 2099.

The cover does make it looked like it's 2099, though.

Yeah, I was considering that.

isn't it a time-honored tradition for covers to not reflect actual book content? I feel like that's a thing.

edit: maybe it's like 2090?

The 2014 series has a bit of stuff happening in 2099, so maybe this series will have something similar

The 2014 series was stuck between two Spider-Man series. In Superior Miguel got trapped in modern 616 and didn't make it back until Spider-Verse, at which point it was almost immediately drawn into Secret Wars. I think if anything Miguel could have some crossover with 616 largely due to the presence of the Web Warriors who will assuredly be jumping in and out as needed.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I bought comic books. I started with Batman Earth One, Volumes I&II. I bought them to have in case the hurricane knocked out power, but I ended up reading them instead.
    They are very good.

Really bro
    Are you trolling

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    What is this superior series.

This discussion has been closed.