As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Superhero] fun train has no brakes!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I bought comic books. I started with Batman Earth One, Volumes I&II. I bought them to have in case the hurricane knocked out power, but I ended up reading them instead.
    They are very good.

Really bro
    Are you trolling
    This is rude, Dogg.

Earth One is actually a pretty fun Batman remagining. Not super amazing but it has great art and back version of Batman that is way more flawed and human than most

Vol. 2 is supposedly much worse but i haven't read it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Oh
    I thought everyone hated it

• Options
    You might be thinking of Superman Earth One?

Regardless asking a person who says they just bought comics for the first time ever and are enjoying what they read if they're trolling is kind of a dick move

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    oh, like kamen rider?

Waiter, there's too much salt on my food...

i'm sorry, I must have put this on there

not bad, not bad

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    yeah I'd never tell a new reader person who enjoyed, for instance, Batman: Hush, that they made a bad choice

even if I might believe that in my heart

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hey guys I've never read a comic but I picked up this Iron Fist Lethal Weapon book and I'm really enjoying it.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    but it's not subversive in a way that challenges the viewer for liking the base product, a la Madoka

madoka tries to imply there's something wrong with you for liking magical girl anime

one punch man doesn't think you're shit for liking shonen stuff

This is my least favorite thing and also part of why I didn't enjoy undertale and also why I hate funny games

I do not like media that tells me I am bad for watching/playing it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I legitimately thought the bro was trolling, ok

• Options
    too soon man

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Hey guys I've never read a comic but I picked up this Iron Fist Lethal Weapon book and I'm really enjoying it.
    In this situation I'd say well you should try Immortal Iron Fist, personally I think it is way better

I liked all sorts of shitty comics when I first started reading comics. It happens.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I guess I will enjoy this blissful ignorance phase where I don't know enough about comics to be ashamed of the things I like.
    But I genuinely liked both books, so....thanks for the info, I guess??

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Alright Blank, you win this time

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I read Avengers: Children's Crusade because I liked Jim Cheung's art

• Options
    I'm going to reiterate though that everyone should read Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk because they are really good

• Options
    One of the first comics I ever read was Identity Crisis and I thought it was amazing

I was also like 14 at the time but still

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I liked Greg Land art for a while

we've all been there son

too young to know shit from shit

• Options
    I guess I will enjoy this blissful ignorance phase where I don't know enough about comics to be ashamed of the things I like.
    Hey man like what you like

There are far worse things than digging a Batman comic that a bunch of other people don't like

I like Earth One too!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Regardless asking a person who says they just bought comics for the first time ever and are enjoying what they read if they're trolling is kind of a dick move

I like superman earth one

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    This applies to almost every Batman story I can think of

Batman tortures people all the time

Which, like, isn't a good thing. It's pretty gross. But Earth One isn't some weird especially horrible case.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

disgusting

Nah it's cool although I'm actually super surprised because it seems like it has a ton of stuff you don't like in it?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Hey man, you like what you like and don't let anyone tell you different.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Just when you think that the worst of the mainstream superhero book can't get any more despicable, here's Johns and Frank's attempt to create a Batman book that's immediately accessible to the general reader. How the industry can be proud, how DC must be gratified by all the money that's being generated in the company's supposedly good name.

what a douche

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    And isn't that Gotham City's whole thing? Everyone is shitty and the whole thing is very grim dark? I really do not feel the slightest bit of moral outrage at two comic book cops beating up a comic book thug.

• Options

disgusting

Nah it's cool although I'm actually super surprised because it seems like it has a ton of stuff you don't like in it?

I'll level with you, I don't remember it a ton

I remember really liking lois and jimmy

and liking it overall

• Options
    I got to watch the new episode of Dino Charge

The Gold Ranger being cocky but imminently likable is a really nice change from cocky jerk as is often the case with the new, powerful team member

Also an ancient warrior who speaks in fake old english calling himself 'the full package' will never not be hilarious

• Options
    I haven't actually read Batman: Earth One but I know Chris Sims hates it

• Options
    Chris Sims hates a lot of things

• Options
    chris sims often also has very bad explanations for why he hates things

• Options
    Honestly I've never read anything written by him but there was a time when Chris Sims was very well regarded round these parts and so one was frequently regaled with his opinion on things

He hates the Vision though which is ridiculous I mean come on

• Options
    Sims doesn't hate the Vision, he hates Red Tornado

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    59. Who is more worthless and why- The Vision or Red Tornado? — adamrjones24
    A: The Vision is just a character that I don’t particularly care for. Red Tornado is quite posisbly the worst thing that has ever happened to DC Comics. Even Batman: The Brave and the Bold couldn’t make that dude not be awful.

• Options
    Red Tornado was good in both the Young Justice comic and series

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    identity crisis is the worst comic I've ever read

• Options
    It's really bad!

But I was 14 and had read like 2 comics before and Oh man look how MATURE and DARK this is and the artist tried to model each character after an actor this shit is like a movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Identity Crisis is exactly the kind of comic a cynical 14-16 year old loves

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    identity crisis is the CM Punk of comics

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, I saw there was a bunch of new posts and thought maybe some news happened. :(

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    It's really bad!

But I was 14 and had read like 2 comics before and Oh man look how MATURE and DARK this is and the artist tried to model each character after an actor this shit is like a movie

Isn't that the one where Black Adam just pushes Psycho Pirate's mask through his entire face scene?

That was rad as shit when I was a cool teen

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, like what you like man. At the very least, there's always something worse.

This discussion has been closed.